• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

JoeFu

Banned
brot has learned the way of Android users very quickly.

Seriously stuff like waiting for updates is what pushed me to just unlock the bootloader so I can just flash them myself.

If only it was as easy as the N1...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The first thing when I get my new Android phone is unlock that sumbitch. I don't buy phones that aren't able to be unlocked at the time of purchase.

so I heard that only phones with the radio XXLA2 will get the update. Where do I go to see which radio I have?

Indeed. Even if you manually install the update, you need XXLA2. I tried it this morning using a different radio, and it wouldn't work. Flashed XXLA2, and I was good to go.

kehs

Banned
fwiw:

JBQ: there's no way to fully trigger the OTA manually. On the OTA servers, devices are randomly separated into the schedule buckets. As long as your device isn't eligible on the server side, you won't be able to trigger an OTA. Once your device is eligible, you'll get the notification the next time it asks the server if an OTA is available (normally every few hours).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112218872649456413744/posts/QkKumgFm6pm

Cudder

Indeed. Even if you manually install the update, you need XXLA2. I tried it this morning using a different radio, and it wouldn't work. Flashed XXLA2, and I was good to go.
Oh god, I'm on XXKK6.

I thought when I flashed yakju I would be good to go as far as updates, now I find this out. :(

How easy is it to just flash a different radio? Will it wipe my phone?

Ah well, at least it's smooth now.

But guys, seriously, you wouldn't believe me when I say that updating a Windows Phone is easier than doing this shit (again). Unlocking, rooting, flashing, blah blah blah. How 2002.

gutshot

Holy shit, my phone just rebooted out of nowhere and when it came back up it said, "Activation complete".

......Jelly Bean?

Tried swiping up on the home button. Nothing. Maybe I did it wrong? Go to Settings > About Phone..... 4.0.4. Dammit!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

But guys, seriously, you wouldn't believe me when I say that updating a Windows Phone is easier than doing this shit (again). Unlocking, rooting, flashing, blah blah blah. How 2002.

No one said you had to do any of that.

kehs

Banned

It actually was easier with the N1 and NS. You could do it if you have the right update package. They changed it on the GN, which now requires root or access to fastboot. I'm guessing the secure element is to blame.

A lot of apps I use have the overflow Menu bar. Even Google Play has it to access My Apps. Once the dev figures this out, I'm back in. Until then. Someone keep me updated.

Totally late, but you still have access to the menu button, or am I missing the complaint?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Just went to Jelly Belly 3.2 (4.1.1 AOSP) and holy shit this thing is fast and buttery smooth. A definite improvement over the pre-AOSP builds.

zedge

You could just wait for the actual update? :/

Cudder

Radios don't erase data.

However, unless you're really really comfortable with flashing, don't do it. It's the one thing that could render your phone unusable with no way to fix yourself.

I'm not comfortable with flashing really, I had to follow a guide to get to yakju.

So, now that I'm on yakju am I STILL ineligible for the 4.1 OTA?

kehs

Banned
I'm not comfortable with flashing really, I had to follow a guide to get to yakju.

So, now that I'm on yakju am I STILL ineligible for the 4.1 OTA?

You're no ineligible, per se. There's a yakju ota floating around already, you should be able to use that one, no?

Rooted/unlocked?

Cudder

You're no ineligible, per se. There's a yakju ota floating around already, you should be able to use that one, no?

Rooted/unlocked?

Unlocked bootloader, not rooted.

I'm just confused because I've heard people on xda say that only yak/takju's with XXLA2 radios are getting the update. Here I am with a yakju XXKK6 so I don't know where I fall on getting the 4.1 update.

kehs

Banned
Unlocked bootloader, not rooted.

Why did you mention the radio btw? The only radio issues I saw were with takju builds. Link to the issue?

e: oh, I wouldn't worry about it then, xda people are crazy for the most part. I was using xxlf1 radio and I got the update on takju.

I would do this, seems to be the easiest. You can do 3-8 through the toolkit.

Download the OTA file and do this:

1) Download the correct update for your build on to your computer;
2) Copy the file to /sdcard on your device;
3) Download CWM from here and place it on your computer in the same directory as your fastboot binary. For CDMA/LTE devices, use this version;
4) Rename the CWM image to cwm.img
5) Reboot into fastboot mode;
6) Open a command prompt in the same directory;
7) Type fastboot devices to make sure your device is recognized;
8) Type fastboot boot cwm.img
9) Select "install zip from sdcard";
10) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
11) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
12) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

DarkFlow

Banned
It actually was easier with the N1 and NS. You could do it if you have the right update package. They changed it on the GN, which now requires root or access to fastboot. I'm guessing the secure element is to blame.

Totally late, but you still have access to the menu button, or am I missing the complaint?
My secure element killed itself long ago. I really wish they would make a fix that does not require me getting a whole new phone.
7XBDp.png

thespot84

So i left my gnex on a train (getting back tomorrow don't worry) but for the meantime i just activated my OG droid as a replacement.

Oh.

My.

God.

I even put gingerbread on it and this thing still feels like a child's toy. HOW DID I EVER USE THIS!?

DXPett1

Bboy AJ

I do still have access to it but it would always be a guessing game as to whether an app used the overflow menu without the visual cue on the app itself. With the menu always on the pie, I wouldn't ever know without always clicking it.

So i left my gnex on a train (getting back tomorrow don't worry) but for the meantime i just activated my OG droid as a replacement.

Oh.

My.

God.

I even put gingerbread on it and this thing still feels like a child's toy. HOW DID I EVER USE THIS!?
Heh, use a Note for a few weeks then hold an iPhone. It is a shocking feeling.

lunchtoast

I do still have access to it but it would always be a guessing game as to whether an app used the overflow menu without the visual cue on the app itself. With the menu always on the pie, I wouldn't ever know without always clicking it.

Heh, use a Note for a few weeks then hold an iPhone. It is a shocking feeling.

I got a hold a note for the first time a few weeks ago. Glad I didn't get it, my GN pocket bulge is big enough as it is.

Oh, is anyone using aokp M6 or has everyone moved on to JB?

Pachimari

Wait, what if I lose my Galaxy Nexus, can I somehow wipe all data or something like on iOS?

By the way, I love holding the phone in my hand, even though it still takes time getting used to the size. I'm still bummed Navigation is showing bad direction and that it doesn't change dynamically that fast but cool it's showing the location when I arrive at a destination and telling me about the traffic but I have yet to get any other card than the weather and how many minutes it'll take to get home.

Bboy AJ

I got a hold a note for the first time a few weeks ago. Glad I didn't get it, my GN pocket bulge is big enough as it is.

Oh, is anyone using aokp M6 or has everyone moved on to JB?
I don't know how tight your pants are but my Note has no bulge. It may be thinner than the Nexus. When I had a GN, I thought it was about the perfect size and the Note would be unbearable. I like the Note plenty now, though, but the Nexus is about perfect feeling. Possibly due to its curved shape, too.

I'm fine on build 40 AOKP. I'd rather not go through a clean install when JB is around the corner.

Wait, what if I lose my Galaxy Nexus, can I somehow wipe all data or something like on iOS?
Plan B on the Play Store.

lunchtoast

I should make a thread for people to post their phone bulges. I wear normal pants but it looks so noticeable. Guess it's back to jnco.

Bboy AJ

I should make a thread for people to post their phone bulges. I wear normal pants but it looks so noticeable. Guess it's back to jnco.
Like I said, both the GN and the Note are nearly just as thick. You're confusing screen size with thickness.

Pachimari

Thank you Bboy AJ, so now I know if anything happens. :)

I actually found out how to get my Google contacts to my Galaxy Nexus but now I have duplicate numbers some of my contacts, because I created them locally on the phone first. I have tried manually erasing the one number with 'edit' in a contact but the number comes back up. I can't for the life of me notice, how I'll get rid of the duplicate numbers?

Nicktendo86

Thank you Bboy AJ, so now I know if anything happens. :)

I actually found out how to get my Google contacts to my Galaxy Nexus but now I have duplicate numbers some of my contacts, because I created them locally on the phone first. I have tried manually erasing the one number with 'edit' in a contact but the number comes back up. I can't for the life of me notice, how I'll get rid of the duplicate numbers?

Log into your Gmail account on your computer, click on contacts, under 'more' there should be an option to find and merge duplicates. Sync your contacts on your phone when done and that SHOULD do the trick.

Top Bottom