• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

huh? The Maps companion App "Navigation"? Works perfectly for me in Austria...

:(

0sIJG.png

Stupid godgoogleforsaken countries.

Edit: actually, I shouldn't really complain. Google's been really good to us actually. They were the first to offer translation to/from Maltese. Maps is very detailed. We got the market fairly quickly, and google calendar was the first site ever to send SMS reminders to Maltese phones. I doubt' we'll ever be getting fancy streetview, navigation, 3D maps, wallet and any of the stuff though.

At least though if you look up a street it'll find it unlike Bing or openmaps which think it's mostly a vast open space.

derder

So I'm on 4.0.4 from my nandroid backup. I want to go back to 100% stock, no backups, no nothing, and then update to the 4.1.1 (without any root) so that I can start using google wallet again. I have CWM 5.8.0, unlocked bootloader, and superuser, how do I go back to stock then get this update or can I do that in one fell swoop?

thespot84

So I'm on 4.0.4 from my nandroid backup. I want to go back to 100% stock, no backups, no nothing, and then update to the 4.1.1 (without any root) so that I can start using google wallet again. I have CWM 5.8.0, unlocked bootloader, and superuser, how do I go back to stock then get this update or can I do that in one fell swoop?

the gnex toolkit has a way to return to complete OEM locked stock

kehs

Banned

This will put the I/O firmware on your phone, and you should get the update notification within hours.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28105262&postcount=296

kinggroin

Banned
My cousin bought the gnex from the gplay store and is wondering when to expect the JB update.

I'm on Verizon so I haven't kept up with the gsm model.

Gracias

zedge

OMG!

Just did the clear google framework again... Update is downloading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#$@$!@#$

GSM Nexus, Bell, Canada. yakju

Taken with my transformer.. :p

IMG_20120712_125929.jpg

zedge

I came here to tell you that that shit didn't work for me....but after checking my settings the update popped up. Now eating some jummy Crow with jelly beans.

It's a 144.9 meg update...JESUS!

Hehe, didn't work for me yesterday or earlier either. Hi Five!

SimleuqiR

Hehe, didn't work for me yesterday or earlier either. Hi Five!

After clearing the framework and then a reboot, Google asked me "can I track your every move?" and then I said "yes". Went into the settings and got that same screen you did for the update.

Cudder

Awesome, just after zedge posted (and before GAF went down), I did the Services Framework trick and got prompted for the download!

No Wifi at work, though, so I'll have to wait until I'm home to get it.

Zeppu

So I just got a notification update. I didn't even know I was eligible for OTA updates considering I had just flashed some random JB from xda. Anyway, I was going to install it, it booted in cwm recovery, started flashing and said signature doesn't match and aborted. I turned of signature verification but now I can't get the update to trigger again :S

So I just got a notification update. I didn't even know I was eligible for OTA updates considering I had just flashed some random JB from xda. Anyway, I was going to install it, it booted in cwm recovery, started flashing and said signature doesn't match and aborted. I turned of signature verification but now I can't get the update to trigger again :S

You're still on some random JB ROM and were prompted OTA?

kehs

Banned

Assuming you're rooted, go into the system/cache folder, pull the .zip file and put it in the sd card.

Go back into cwm and flash again after turning off signature verification. That's what I did. Assuming you haven't messed with the system directories through hacks it should work without a problem.

Zeppu

Assuming you're rooted, go into the system/cache folder, pull the .zip file and put it in the sd card.

Go back into cwm and flash again after turning off signature verification. That's what I did. Assuming you haven't messed with the system directories through hacks it should work without a problem.

Awesome. trying it out now.

Is there a really good file manager anyway?

Hmm, no cache folder under /system/

snacknuts

we all knew her
Why did I even try on my LTE Nexus :(

I sent a tweet to VZW support earlier this afternoon asking when we could expect a JB OTA on the GNex. They replied that they didn't know when or IF we were getting it, but they would make an announcement when they knew something. WTF. I mean, I know it's going to get it, but 'if'? Really? I'll keep using Jelly Belly in the meantime.

kehs

Banned
I sent a tweet to VZW support earlier this afternoon asking when we could expect a JB OTA on the GNex. They replied that they didn't know when or IF we were getting it, but they would make an announcement when they knew something. WTF. I mean, I know it's going to get it, but 'if'? Really? I'll keep using Jelly Belly in the meantime.

To be fair to Verizon™ they have to see the source code before deciding whether the new enhancements will be compatible with their network and if it will affect other users. Verizon™ strives to meet high quality standards of service for all their customers and must stringently run any and all software through a QA process that is unrivaled. Remember to try out V-Cast™ available now for you Verizon™ Galaxy Nexus, the true Google experience device.

snacknuts

we all knew her
To be fair to Verizon™ they have to see the source code before deciding whether the new enhancements will be compatible with their network and if it will affect other users. Verizon™ strives to meet high quality standards of service for all their customers and must stringently run any and all software through a QA process that is unrivaled. Remember to try out V-Cast™ available now for you Verizon™ Galaxy Nexus, the true Google experience device.

Verizon sure is great.

So I have a big ass crack in my screen and the screen won't turn on. I'm transferring as much of my stuff as I post off it. My dad didn't get the insurance when we bought it, I have no clue why.

So what are my options now? Can it be repaired? How much will that cost? Will Verizon do it? Can I do it myself and order parts? Am I just fucked?

Cudder

So I have a big ass crack in my screen and the screen won't turn on. I'm transferring as much of my stuff as I post off it. My dad didn't get the insurance when we bought it, I have no clue why.

So what are my options now? Can it be repaired? How much will that cost? Will Verizon do it? Can I do it myself and order parts? Am I just fucked?

post a picture of the screen. did you drop it?

post a picture of the screen. did you drop it?

Yes, I dropped it. And I don't have a camera near me right now. I usually use my phone :(

It looks pretty bad though. It's all over the screen and looks like a chip in the bottom corner.

Edit: To clarify it's not actually chipped. I think it's just cracked so bad it looks like it is.

Cudder

Yes, I dropped it. And I don't have a camera near me right now. I usually use my phone :(

It looks pretty bad though. It's all over the screen and looks like a chip in the bottom corner.

Edit: To clarify it's not actually chipped. I think it's just cracked so bad it looks like it is.

I dropped my phone a while ago and had the screen crack (lower half), it wasn't TOO bad (you can find the pics in this thread), but it annoyed me so much that I just bought a new Galaxy Nexus. I only inquired at one repair place and they said 300$ to fix it. I put in the extra money and just got a new one.

Are you sure it doesn't turn on? Like at all?

I dropped my phone a while ago and had the screen crack (lower half), it wasn't TOO bad (you can find the pics in this thread), but it annoyed me so much that I just bought a new Galaxy Nexus. I only inquired at one repair place and they said 300$ to fix it. I put in the extra money and just got a new one.

Are you sure it doesn't turn on? Like at all?

The phone turns on. The screen is completely unresponsive however.

Kamek

:( so many people have received the update, but I haven't. I have the GNex from the google play store (is that takju or yakju?). When should I be expecting it?

Also as I'm pulling shit off my phone, I found all the pictures and audio and crap I had on there, but where are the texts and contacts? Can I pull those off?

kehs

Banned
Also as I'm pulling shit off my phone, I found all the pictures and audio and crap I had on there, but where are the texts and contacts? Can I pull those off?

Contacts are typically on your gmail account. You can still export them if you want though.

Text messages can't be pulled out without a text message app that does backups (there's a couple on the market, not sure what they are though).

e: oh wait, you're the one with the broken screen. -_-

Contacts are typically on your gmail account. You can still export them if you want though.

Text messages can't be pulled out without a text message app that does backups (there's a couple on the market, not sure what they are though).

e: oh wait, you're the one with the broken screen. -_-

Yep :(

I think Verizon has pulled them before off my old phone so I'll see what they can do when I figure out what I'm doing.

kehs

Banned
Yep :(

I think Verizon has pulled them before off my old phone so I'll see what they can do when I figure out what I'm doing.

I'm assuming you weren't rooted or anything? There are ways to get data from inside the device if you are.

There is also a way to do a full system backup through adb, from there you can theoretically pull the data from the backup. Not sure how knowledgeable you are with adb andd all that stuff though.

So, did they change something in display drivers. Seems to look better now than it did before.

Seems that way, was one of the first things I noticed when I moved to the I/O build.

thespot84

There is also a way to do a full system backup through adb, from there you can theoretically pull the data from the backup. Not sure how knowledgeable you are with adb andd all that stuff though.

You can do this through the GUI on the gnex toolkit, no command lining required. You have to make sure drivers are installed correctly though.

iavi

So, did they change something in display drivers. Seems to look better now than it did before.

I'm wondering if they did something with the way the BGs crop, myself. Before they'd never crop in a crisp fashion - speaking exclusively of AOSP roms, as Sense never had that issue. After 4.1.1 my wall is looking fabulous.

Pachimari

I'm starting to like this phone more. It's so simple adding contacts on the web with pictures and detail, while it's automatically synched to the phone. I'm gonna try out the navigation with public transit here in Denmark and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get cards popping up telling me how many minutes there's left for the next bus or something.

Top Bottom