• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

thespot84

I'm starting to like this phone more. It's so simple adding contacts on the web with pictures and detail, while it's automatically synched to the phone. I'm gonna try out the navigation with public transit here in Denmark and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get cards popping up telling me how many minutes there's left for the next bus or something.

i had a calendar appointment a city away and it just pinged me out of nowhere telling me it was time to leave based on current traffic. Wild.

Cudder

Now this is some bullshit.

Got home and downloaded 4.1 just fine, but when it reboots to install I get an Android laying down with a red exclamation mark over it.

Then it reboots normally into 4.0.4.

What the hell is going on? :(

kehs

Banned
Okay another noob question. What the heck is yakju? How do i know if my phone can do the delete google services trick?

The GN has a bunch of different firmware variations, unfortunately only some of them are directly maintained by Google. Takju yakju and msid are the three variations by Google. The rest are Samsung delivered. There's a yakju checker app on the market or you can look at your build.prop to see the details. The rollouts happening are only for those Google maintained devices.

Got home and downloaded 4.1 just fine, but when it reboots to install I get an Android laying down with a red exclamation mark over it.

Are you rooted/unlocked?

zedge

Okay another noob question. What the heck is yakju? How do i know if my phone can do the delete google services trick?

Download this. It will tell you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cbruegg.officialupdate

Unlocked bootloader?

SimleuqiR

Well I have not been in the rooted or ROM city in a while, but maybe the phone is looking for "singed" file. I think CWM has an option for this ?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
So, did they change something in display drivers. Seems to look better now than it did before.
I've only noticed banding seems to be better (easy to see in the Settings menu before). When I was running CM9, they must have been doing some magic with the kernel because I have never seen the display look so good before. It might have also been why my battery life was shit, though. So far I'm running the Stock kernel for JB, but I want to look into going back to modified ones so I can get color RGB controls again. Will probably wait for them to mature since JB was just released.

SimleuqiR

I'm wondering if they did something with the way the BGs crop, myself. Before they'd never crop in a crisp fashion - speaking exclusively of AOSP roms, as Sense never had that issue. After 4.1.1 my wall is looking fabulous.

I've only noticed banding seems to be better (easy to see in the Settings menu before). When I was running CM9, they must have been doing some magic with the kernel because I have never seen the display look so good before. It might have also been why my battery life was shit, though. So far I'm running the Stock kernel for JB, but I want to look into going back to modified ones so I can get color RGB controls again. Will probably wait for them to mature since JB was just released.

It's a substantial improvement. I noticed it as soon as I opened Google Reader, which has lots of whites and greys. They definitely injected some juju in it.

Also, transition effects :-D

kehs

Banned
Oh Jesus Christ..how so I do this?

Are you sure? I've read that an unlocked bootloader has no effect on OTAs...it must be a file I flashed when I flashed 4.0.4...edge did you re-lock your bootloader?

I posted some instructions earlier today for someone else looks back a couple of posts. I'm too busy watching Louie ck sorry =P

You get the ota, you just gotta flash it differently.

Pachimari

i had a calendar appointment a city away and it just pinged me out of nowhere telling me it was time to leave based on current traffic. Wild.

Yeah, it's nice when I'm with the car even though it's estimated time is totally wrong, but I hope it'll work with public transit here as well. Have any of you guys experienced it telling you a train time has changed or how many minutes until the next bus?

kehs

Banned
Oh Jesus Christ..how so I do this?

Are you sure? I've read that an unlocked bootloader has no effect on OTAs...it must be a file I flashed when I flashed 4.0.4...edge did you re-lock your bootloader?

Aright, so download the Toolkit for the GN, you'll have an option to install can from it. Then you'll have to boot into recovery. Pressing vol up down and power at the same time.

Cudder

Aright, so download the Toolkit for the GN, you'll have an option to install can from it. Then you'll have to boot into recovery. Pressing vol up down and power at the same time.

I actually just flashed the XXLA2 radio. I think this should have been done when I flashed 4.0.4 but for some reason I didn't. I already had the radio image but my phone was a different radio.

I'm re-downloading 4.1 to see if maybe that was it.

Cudder

YES.

That was it. I always had a hunch that my radio was wrong. I just switched it to XXLA2 and redownloaded 4.1 and it worked this time. So I am now running Jelly Bean!!

Thanks for the help and suggestions though guys!

zedge

YES.

That was it. I always had a hunch that my radio was wrong. I just switched it to XXLA2 and redownloaded 4.1 and it worked this time. So I am now running Jelly Bean!!

Thanks for the help and suggestions though guys!

Ah, mine was XLA2 before the update.

thespot84

Flashing it now.

Should I even stay in ROM city or should I go back to stock?

I can't decide either. I'm on Jelly 2.6 on my toro. Didn't want to bother with 3.0 since there seemed to be issues, and I don't want to reinstall everything twice, so is jelly belly the right track, or is I/O? What say GAF?

Fox318

So I wiped cache, data, and dalvik.

Then flashed 3.4 and gapps.

Yet all of my apps and data remained installed and intact.

Did data not wipe?

I can't decide either. I'm on Jelly 2.6 on my toro. Didn't want to bother with 3.0 since there seemed to be issues, and I don't want to reinstall everything twice, so is jelly belly the right track, or is I/O? What say GAF?

I was coming from the same boat.

DXPett1

Just a heads up guys, if you use the clear Google Services Framework trick this WILL break push notifications for any app that uses them (Twitter, Facebook to name two). Clear the data/cache and re-login to the app of choice to fix push notifications

th3dude

He's already on Jelly Belly 3.4. Super smooth here.

Nicktendo86

Gaaaargh I've just noticed a stuck pixel on my screen. One pixel just below where the Google search bar appears, stuck on green. Can't see it unless you look for it but it jumps at me every time I look at the screen now! Any chance it will 'unstick' itself?

Edit: I have just realized it is in the blue line that appears when you open the app draw, could it be that that line has somehow caused the stuck pixel?

kagete

How quickly does Google ship for orders from their Play store? I ordered yesterday and my card was also charged yesterday but it seems that there isn't any shipping notice or tracking number yet. The Google Wallet page for my order says that I won't be charged until it's shipped but I definitely see the complete charge on my credit card.

SimleuqiR

What makes Jelly Belly so good? I'm runnig Vicious 1.0 4.1.1 and I have no issues and its fast

60 fps - locked for the most part? Also Google Voice Search and Google Now are huge improvements to search. That and it seems there are many driver tweaks, particularly for the Nexus' screen.

malyce

Verizon has one week to have a leak that they are testing Jelly Bean or it appears i'm headed into ROM city

You're gonna end up wasting a whole week of your life. Think about all the fun you could be having at ROM city. It's not worth the wait brah.

Bumping my quote again.

Did I do something wrong?

Unless you do a "wipe data/factory reset" your apps and all their data will remain intact.

Mrcapcom

Oh, you ROM City citizens. I don't know, I have not had the need to root on this device yet. Like I said, the day the Tuna stops getting OTAs is the day I will start hacking it.
lol Yea I meant going from one 4.1.1 JB Rom to another. I loved my phone stock and I tried to stay with it for at least a week and I ended up Rom/Rooting the day after I got it lol

I can understand GSM owners just waiting on OTA's because they actually get them but the I think Verizon users should definitely Rom/Root as soon as possible. ROM's make the phone run so much better and the extra features are really good.

Vicious 1.0 4.1.1 Rom is my daily driver I have zero issues and I don't think I'll be able to go back to ICS. I already tried to go back to AOKP ICS and it just didn't feel as good as JB

Fox318

You're gonna end up wasting a whole week of your life. Think about all the fun you could be having at ROM city. It's not worth the wait brah.

Unless you do a "wipe data/factory reset" your apps and all their data will remain intact.

But thats what I did...

Maybe it didn't wipe.

I need to re-flash it later today.

th3dude

but when the official comes out are you going to revert back? I just don';t want to wipe/reinstall everything more than i have to

No. I'll stick to whatever the best and most stable ROM is. Once CyanogenMod and AOKP start pumping out stable releases, I might switch to them, but otherwise, I'm very happy with the stock/rooted feel of Jelly Belly.

Verizon has one week to have a leak that they are testing Jelly Bean or it appears i'm headed into ROM city

As others have said, you'll waste a week. I can't see a Verizon update coming any earlier than Fall, honestly.

SimleuqiR

ADW EX has gone a bit bonkers since JB update, so what's the best launcher out there? Nova, Apex? LauncherPro
lol

Nova seems to be working as intended, it just doesn't have the newer features the stock launcher now has (auto re-sizable widgets, auto moving icons, etc)

Top Bottom