• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
After using a nexus 7 for 12hrs

I kinda want a nexus phone that's 7" with almost no bezel...

Even a note feels small now

Inb4 crazy

Now that

THAT would be best galaxy

Do it Samsung

Galaxy Nexus Note III

Take all money!!!!

Weren't you saying the bezel wasn't big enough last night?

Cipherr

I kinda want a nexus phone that's 7" with almost no bezel...

Noooooooooooooo, lol, now that would seriously be to big. Bezel or no bezel, the width of a phone with a 7" screen would be too much for anyone not carrying a purse to put it in. Not pocketable at all. Even the current Note is pushing it size wise.

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting the unlocked Nexus from Google. I have two questions.

1. How durable is it? I have a tendency to drop my phones from about 3 ft high.
2. How scratch resistant is the screen?

Emily Chu

Banned
Weren't you saying the bezel wasn't big enough last night?

I suppose theres 2 different ways to hold a tablet and a phone

the bezel is too small on the N7 to hold the bezel with my thumbs on it without touching the screen portrait mode anyways

with less bezel I can just claw grip the whole thing with one hand ala a phone like the note

with more bezel I can palm it on one side and use my thumb to hold the bezel with

now if they take the 7" screen phone and make it mostly bezel less I can claw grip that sonofabitch with on hand comfortably

I know it's gonna look ridiculous with a 7" phone but fuck the note was already pushing it might as well take it to the limit Samsung

Galaxy Note 3 XL 7"

I can see it happening too in like 2 years

reKon

Banned
I've been using mine naked even though I bought a Diztronic case. Be careful though if you take your phone to a beach. You can seriously scratch the screen of your phone:

TinySand8-6-300x247.jpg

This is what would be rubbing against your screen

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm officially changing my ROM endorsement from Jelly Belly to Bugless Beast. They're both great, but BB feels faster and has some nice stuff like coming with Wallet installed.

Is anyone else having problems launching Google Now? I updated yesterday and have not been able to access it. Is it an app? I don't see it listed in the apps in the system settings. I tried swiping up from the home screen but nothing happened. I'm using Apex Launcher so I don't know if that would affect it.

kehs

Banned
Is anyone else having problems launching Google Now? I updated yesterday and have not been able to access it. Is it an app? I don't see it listed in the apps in the system settings. I tried swiping up from the home screen but nothing happened. I'm using Apex Launcher so I don't know if that would affect it.

Open up the app labeled "Google", Now is just the new interface for Google Search.

Try long pressing the home key, that should bring it up as well.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I am having problems trying to install the amazon app store on this thing. Keeps telling me that it is unable to open the .apk file. Anyone have suggestions?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Nevermind I ended up figuring out. I was trying to download it from the site and it was not working. I ended up downloading the .apk file and loaded it to the phone. Installed fine after that.

Mulberry

I am having problems trying to install the amazon app store on this thing. Keeps telling me that it is unable to open the .apk file. Anyone have suggestions?

try going to Settings=>Security=>Unknown Sources. You may need to authorize the installation of non-Market apps.

Cipherr

But the S2 screen is a Super AMOLED+ screen. The resolution might be lower, but it doesn't have a pentile grid.

Doesnt matter, pentile or not the Galaxy Nexus screen >>>>>>>>>>> Galaxy S2. I have them both sitting beside each other right now, its not even close. Primarily due to the resolution.

zedge

Doesnt matter, pentile or not the Galaxy Nexus screen >>>>>>>>>>> Galaxy S2. I have them both sitting beside each other right now, its not even close. Primarily due to the resolution.

Agree, could not go back to my S2 after getting the Gnex.

Open up the app labeled "Google", Now is just the new interface for Google Search.

Try long pressing the home key, that should bring it up as well.

Thanks for the tips. I tried the long press but nothing happened and I don't have (or can't find) the Google app. Am I the only person having this problem? A google search doesn't bring up any similar experiences.

There are comparisons between the two on gsmarena I think. Even with pentile, text is visibly sharper on the nexus.
well, the GNX and GS3 displays are better in every visible measure, but the psychologial effect of knowing it's a PenTile RGBG instead of an RGB Stripe is hard for some to overcome.

kehs

Banned
Thanks for the tips. I tried the long press but nothing happened and I don't have (or can't find) the Google app. Am I the only person having this problem? A google search doesn't bring up any similar experiences.

That's....weird. Did you disable any apps are any point? Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps, scroll to the bottom, that's where any disabled app is.

When you said you updated, did you mean a regular update, or like a rom/root thing?

I known this is normally asked in the appe threads, but is it worth waiting for the new GNEX to come out?

Getting bored of me iPhone 4 now and thinking of making the leap asap

kehs

Banned
I known this is normally asked in the appe threads, but is it worth waiting for the new GNEX to come out?

Getting bored of me iPhone 4 now and thinking of making the leap asap

Do it.

You can probably sell that relic for about $300 bucks and then only pay $50 more for a true portable pocketable computer.

Do it.

You can probably sell that relic for about $300 bucks and then only pay $50 more for a true portable pocketable computer.

I was going to hand it down to my mum, but there is way to much value in the phone! Don't know if that's heartless or not lol, but really feeling the GNEX

Is there a good video showing the basic ins and outs of ICS/JB? Just like the messaging app, the phone app, menu options, etc?

kehs

Banned
I was going to hand it down to my mum, but there is way to much value in the phone! Don't know if that's heartless or not lol, but really feeling the GNEX

Is there a good video showing the basic ins and outs of ICS/JB? Just like the messaging app, the phone app, menu options, etc?

It's still one hell of a bargain at $350, but that would mean cursing your mom with an iphone. =D

You can find a bunch of videos from fanboys gushing over ICS on youtube. Android.com has a pretty good overview on ICS/JB though it's mostly text.

kehs

Banned
Good news everybody, netflix finally outputs HD over HDMI on the GN.

Hooray.

Not subtitles though. =(

/breakingbadbinge

That's....weird. Did you disable any apps are any point? Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps, scroll to the bottom, that's where any disabled app is.

When you said you updated, did you mean a regular update, or like a rom/root thing?

Thanks that worked! I did have it disabled and I'm now able to access Google Now. Thanks again!

thespot84

ok roll call for anyone with an MHL adapter. i have the $10 from monoprice, and it likes to just switch off and on occasionaly while i'm using it. I've changed cables, inputs, power plugs, everything, and nothing really helps it. Anyone else have this? Is it just defective?

Cipherr

Im sure there are on Youtube, but tbh, you are already coming from a smartphone. The transition isn't going to be very jarring. My first smartphone was an iPhone. It took me all of a day to learn everything I needed to on Gingerbread. ICS is much better built and more intuitive. You should visit a local Sprint store where you can test out a GNexus. The GSM is the same thing, except we dont have carrier shitware on it and our updates are right from Google.

DEO3

I just found out my wife has bought me a GNex for my birthday later this week!

And not only that, but this will be my first smart phone! Can you guys recommend any must have accessories for one? I assume a car charger and a case? Any popular brands/models?

reKon

Banned
ok roll call for anyone with an MHL adapter. i have the $10 from monoprice, and it likes to just switch off and on occasionaly while i'm using it. I've changed cables, inputs, power plugs, everything, and nothing really helps it. Anyone else have this? Is it just defective?

I had similar issues with the one I got, so not really sure.

Fox318

And not only that, but this will be my first smart phone! Can you guys recommend any must have accessories for one? I assume a car charger and a case? Any popular brands/models?

GSM, CDMA, LTE?

Cipherr

Hmmmm.

I can't really say cases because I have the LTE but you should be able to use the sweet pin docks.

I went with the Diztronic case for mine. Waiting for it, my screen protector and a router to arrive from Amazon now. Should get here Tuesday. But I hear the Diztronic cases fit the GSM perfectly, and fit the LTE version also, just not quite as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Buy an extended battery.

Top Bottom