• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kinggroin

Banned
So close he "got in!!"

tumblr_ldf4rvsSJn1qbfk3xo1_500.gif

Hahaha

crumbs

I've tried two JB roms (Vicious Toro 4.1.1 and Jelly Belly 3.6) and I cannot get my Exchange contacts to sync on either. Exchange email and calender sync fine, but no go on contacts. Never had this issue on any earlier versions of android. Everything else seems to be working well, so I'd rather not have to switch back to ICS. Any ideas?

Mrcapcom

I use Exchange and I have it sync my contacts and it comes up when I search and I see them in my contacts. I dunno maybe its just u or a wrong setting

Sky Chief

Just ordered a replacement Verizon Galaxy Nexus under warranty due to a cracked screen. Ended up costing me a $99 deductible but at least I'll have a like new phone when Jelly Bean hits.

thespot84

I've tried two JB roms (Vicious Toro 4.1.1 and Jelly Belly 3.6) and I cannot get my Exchange contacts to sync on either. Exchange email and calender sync fine, but no go on contacts. Never had this issue on any earlier versions of android. Everything else seems to be working well, so I'd rather not have to switch back to ICS. Any ideas?

3.6 is out already? christ this is more effort than it's worth.

EDIT: has anyone used Pete's Bugless Beast yet for the gnex? His gingerbread fork for my OG droid was a godsend, and the guy is really on top of his builds

snacknuts

we all knew her
3.6 is out already? christ this is more effort than it's worth.

EDIT: has anyone used Pete's Bugless Beast yet for the gnex? His gingerbread fork for my OG droid was a godsend, and the guy is really on top of his builds

I've been using it for a couple days. I also used to love his stuff for the OG Droid and this one is great. Feels faster to me than Jelly Belly did (3.4 was the last iteration that I was using). Both JB and BB have given me fairly long reboot times, but I've been reading stuff over at RootzWiki and it sounds like that's a problem inherent to JB. Hopefully it gets cleared up soon. Either way, don't get nervous if your phone stays on the Google logo for several minutes when you boot it up. I just tested mine and the Google logo was on screen for 2:50. Then it's on the Nexus boot animation for <30 seconds. Weird.

Adamm

Just got jelly bean OTA upgrade (UK Vodafone)

Ive been using it on my nexus 7, so no real surprises.

But the stock browser quick controls, why change the order? Thats gonna annoy me for weeks :(

New
hyVlH.png
Old
sBglP.png

crumbs

I use Exchange and I have it sync my contacts and it comes up when I search and I see them in my contacts. I dunno maybe its just u or a wrong setting

Went over my phone's settings and talked to our IT guy and everything seems to be set up correctly on our end (exchange 2007). Tried another JB rom (BAMF) and had the same problem with exchange contacts, so restored back ICS (AOKP M5) and everything is working fine. I had various android phones going back to eclair and I've never run into this issue.

Both JB and BB have given me fairly long reboot times, but I've been reading stuff over at RootzWiki and it sounds like that's a problem inherent to JB. Hopefully it gets cleared up soon. Either way, don't get nervous if your phone stays on the Google logo for several minutes when you boot it up. I just tested mine and the Google logo was on screen for 2:50. Then it's on the Nexus boot animation for <30 seconds. Weird.

Have you flashed a JB bootloader? During my short time on Jelly Belly v3.6, I had pretty quick boot times (post install boot was slow as expected).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

But the stock browser quick controls, why change the order? Thats gonna annoy me for weeks :(

New
hyVlH.png
Old
sBglP.png

Ah, I see the problem.

You're not using Chrome.

kehs

Banned

New
hyVlH.png
Old
sBglP.png

It's a little annoying, but now you have access to everyoption without going into the overflow menu.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Have you flashed a JB bootloader? During my short time on Jelly Belly v3.6, I had pretty quick boot times (post install boot was slow as expected).

I had a JB boot loader flashed when I was on Jelly Belly and I had the same issue, although it was about half and half (sometimes it would take forever to boot, sometimes it was just fine). Right now I am using the JB bootloader that Peter Alfonso has on his download page.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Weird, my boot times have been very fast for Jelly Belly, first install or not. Quicker than any ROM I've tried (even when I wasn't using the JB bootloader in earlier versions).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just wiped my cache, reflashed that bootloader, and restarted it. Google logo went away after just a few seconds. However, it did that the first time I booted this ROM. Right now it is optimizing my apps again. Another reboot annnnd... it's booting "normally" again. Huzzah! When I flashed Pete's ROM, I did the ROM, bootloader, and radio all in one go. I wonder if maybe it didn't take the first time.

Nekrono

I got my Google Nexus from the play store a couple days ago and today was my first full day with the phone going from 100% battery and I have a question...

Is this normal?

37ab58f10032fea00f8170fe734478ada4338081.jpg

21% after 9 hours? I feel after that usage the screen is eating up way too much battery, I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1.1, everything is on stock.

zedge

Nothing wrong with that then.

With average use, maybe 1-2 hrs screen time I get 16-18 Hrs or more, which is plenty. It lasts until I go to bed 11pm-12am with 20-30% left.

Nekrono

Ok then, also seems like having GPS on (which I had) causes the phone to wakelock so I will turn it off and hopefully that will extend the battery life.

Also people said that turning off Google Now helps a lot too but I don't think I'll be doing that soon.

zedge

Ok then, also seems like having GPS on (which I had) causes the phone to wakelock so I will turn it off and hopefully that will extend the battery life.

Also people said that turning off Google Now helps a lot too but I don't think I'll be doing that soon.

Its new, the novelty will wear off and you wont be looking at the screen all the time lol. Battery life gets better after that. ;)

I have GPS, WiFi, etc on all the time, never turn them off.

1hr 24min screen time. I listened to music at work today for a few hours, some on my device but some also streamed from Google Play music, probably why media server is up there.

Screenshot_2012-07-16-20-59-50.png

Its new, the novelty will wear off and you wont be looking at the screen all the time lol. Battery life gets better after that. ;)

Pretty much this. You can't stop playing with it cause it's new.

My average screen time is like 40 mins per day, so don't worry about it.

-GOUKI-

All yall assholes were too lazy to find some instructions for me so i find my own way to get yakju on my phone. Don't know what I did but I have jellybean finally :D

kehs

Banned
Ah yes the very first flash where everything is working but you're left wondering who did it for you because you've no idea what any of that stuff means.

womp

Turn off auto-brightness as well.

SimleuqiR

Wil Wheaton
Yesterday 2:10 AM (edited) - Public

Decision has been made. It will be the +Galaxy Nexus. It looks like it does everything I want, without doing most of the things I don't.

Thanks you all so much for your feedback. I'll report back once I've had a week or so to live with it.

Edit to answer a FAQ: Many people are asking why I didn't choose the newer S III. The deal-breaker for me was the locked bootloader on Verizon. Having lived with an unlocked and massively customized Droid for almost two years, I won't even consider a phone that's locked down. I know Verizon says they'll maybe kind of sort of someday real soon they promise let their users unlock the bootloader, but I've been with that carrier long enough to know better than to put any real faith in that sort of BS.

I wonder if the Nexus line is getting to that point of "popularity"? Wish we could know how many have been sold to date.

th3dude

With the subject of battery life coming up, you have to make sure your battery is calibrated properly before you get too worried about it dropping fast.

(Note: You need to be rooted for this)

Whenever I do a full wipe to install a new ROM (which isn't very often, currently running Jelly Belly 3.6), I always wipe battery stats as well. Then next full charge, I run the battery down til the phone shuts down to recalibrate and repopulate the stats.

For example, my phone has been sitting at 4% now for hours. It got to 15% and told me to charge, but it keeps chugging along. The phone thinks that the battery is almost empty, but in reality, it isn't.

With the subject of battery life coming up, you have to make sure your battery is calibrated properly before you get too worried about it dropping fast.

(Note: You need to be rooted for this)

Whenever I do a full wipe to install a new ROM (which isn't very often, currently running Jelly Belly 3.6), I always wipe battery stats as well. Then next full charge, I run the battery down til the phone shuts down to recalibrate and repopulate the stats.

For example, my phone has been sitting at 4% now for hours. It got to 15% and told me to charge, but it keeps chugging along. The phone thinks that the battery is almost empty, but in reality, it isn't.

"It has no impact on your battery life."

beat

What's the easiest way to switch my phone to get its updates from Google directly instead of Samsung? Preferably without wiping the whole thing and/or having to root it?

gcubed

What's the easiest way to switch my phone to get its updates from Google directly instead of Samsung? Preferably without wiping the whole thing and/or having to root it?

you would have to do both. It would be unrooted again when you were finished, but you would have to wipe the whole thing

-GOUKI-

You are going to have to unlock the bootloader and it will wipe everything

I'm on 4.1 and I was prompted with an ota update, it restarts with android laying down with a red exclamation mark.

I'm guessing I have to OEM lock the device right (its unlocked), if so will this wipe everything or can I lock the bootloader without the hassle.

Cudder

I'm on 4.1 and I was prompted with an ota update, it restarts with android laying down with a red exclamation mark.

I'm guessing I have to OEM lock the device right (its unlocked), if so will this wipe everything or can I lock the bootloader without the hassle.

It has nothing to do with the bootloader. It can be unlocked. Make sure your radio is XXLA2, that's what it was for me when I got the red exclamation mark.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Gnex for $50 on Verizon. I unlocked it, rooted it and installed Vicious 4.1.1. Great phone so far. I love the JB voice search (kicks Siri's ass) and the UI is so buttery. just waiting on my case, extended battery and screen protector before I start abusing it.

Top Bottom