• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

womp

This Xenon HD Jelly Bean ROM is damn solid so far after spending two days with it...Not much in the way of mods available for it (Actually, there are literally none), however it makes up for it by being super stable and everything seems to be working 'out of the box'.

If you are getting sick of flashing Jelly Belly for awhile, I would recommend giving it a shot.

For Toro GNex...

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25970-romjb-xenonhd-v20-150712-features-youve-been-waiting-for/

Emily Chu

Banned
Getting the nexus 7 has made me appreciate this phone even more its does everything a nexus 7 does and more
But lightweight compact and fits in my pocket has data both 3G and 4G a rear camera, 32GB storage can hold it for longer lengths f time

Why its a nexus 7 mini is what it is really

Hell if my nexus 7 sploded tomorrow I'd probably won't get another one considering I brought it on a whim.

Mrcapcom

Ok couple issues I wanted to put out there to see if anyone has had them.
Google Music - Every once in awhile whlie playing music my phone will reboot.
Dice Player - Everytime I try to stream video form a ftp server it crashes out then when I go to my Camera it won't work until I reboot.
Lock Screen- Every once in awhile if I unlock and lock my phone too many times it locks the screen/buttons and I have to battery pull to get back.
This usually happens when im using the GPS and playing Music if I go to the music app the screen won't stay awake and sleeps then i open again to go back to gps and sometimes I end up unlocking relocking like 6 times really quick.

I'm on Franco Kernel Vicious V1 4.1.1

Any ideas on what I can do? Should I flash another kernel? If so which one and can you provide a link ? Thanks

kinggroin

Banned
Ok couple issues I wanted to put out there to see if anyone has had them.
Google Music - Every once in awhile whlie playing music my phone will reboot.
Dice Player - Everytime I try to stream video form a ftp server it crashes out then when I go to my Camera it won't work until I reboot.
Lock Screen- Every once in awhile if I unlock and lock my phone too many times it locks the screen/buttons and I have to battery pull to get back.
This usually happens when im using the GPS and playing Music if I go to the music app the screen won't stay awake and sleeps then i open again to go back to gps and sometimes I end up unlocking relocking like 6 times really quick.

I'm on Franco Kernel Vicious V1 4.1.1

Any ideas on what I can do? Should I flash another kernel? If so which one and can you provide a link ? Thanks

Ditch viscious and run jelly belly 3.7 stock

Piano

Banned
Ditch viscious and run jelly belly 3.7 stock

Or don't...I'm ditching Jelly Belly for Bugless Beast. Settings (brightness, auto rotation, data, etc) haven't been sticking correctly the past few days, and the phone has frozen twice while trying to reboot, requiring a battery pull. Once on the google logo, once on the boot screen.

Piano

Banned
Okay, so I just got Bugless Beast up and running only to see it only comes with Chrome, not the stock JB browser. What's the best way to get the browser back? I can't lose quick controls.

kehs

Banned
I just want landscape like on the regular launcher...there's no legitimate reason for being adverse to another launcher but like I don't want to. Lol

GatorBait

Meant to post the below in this thread, but accidentally posted it in the Android thread, so now you all are getting a cross-posting just because I'm that excited:

"Put in my GNex order today in the Play Store! Ditching my old Droid Incredible and Verizon for that sweet, pure Google experience with timely updates."

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just want landscape like on the regular launcher...there's no legitimate reason for being adverse to another launcher but like I don't want to. Lol

I used to feel like that. Then I took the plunge with Nova and haven't looked back since.

womp

Xenon HD just got updated. Power Toggles have arrived! No only that but a 4G toggle is included. All is well with the world! :)

7HpQ9.png

Best Jelly Bean ROM out there IMO.

Laekon

To save a little cash month to month I'm looking at picking up a Nexus and using it on T-Mobile. Is there a way to get their $30 a month pre-paid plan to work with this phone?

Xenon HD just got updated. Power Toggles have arrived! No only that but a 4G toggle is included. All is well with the world! :)

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/7HpQ9.png[/IG]

Best Jelly Bean ROM out there IMO.

I jelly. One thing i miss from my Galaxy S is the toggles on the notification area. Get with the times Googy!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
To save a little cash month to month I'm looking at picking up a Nexus and using it on T-Mobile. Is there a way to get their $30 a month pre-paid plan to work with this phone?

Yes. Just pop in the SIM.

reKon

Banned
Which jellybean roms let you use the volume rocker to change music tracks when the screen is off?

EDIT: Oh Xenon of course. Well I might have to try this one and hop off Jelly Belly!

I'm going to assume that the performance is better?

Cipherr

Im using it on a $350 GSM Galaxy Nex right now. Just buy a 99 cent sim card kit off of T-Mobiles website when you order your Nexus. The Sim kit will arrive before the phone. It walks you through everything.

Lesiroth

Just got into Nexus land, updated my Gnex into stock JB and rooted it, pretty happy with it so far.

Anything I should try out regarding roms/kernels/etc? I've heard Franco and Trinity are good, although I don't know how much of an improvement they offer over stock.

reKon

Banned
Just got into Nexus land, updated my Gnex into stock JB and rooted it, pretty happy with it so far.

Anything I should try out regarding roms/kernels/etc? I've heard Franco and Trinity are good, although I don't know how much of an improvement they offer over stock.

I haven't tried Franco's yet, but jelly belly has been pretty solid for the most part. I've been only using lean kernel with this and been hard to tell the difference between lean kernel and the stock linaro that came with jelly belly. I'm about to hop on Xenon and see if that's any better. After that we'll see if aokp rom returns to dominance. Roman just released the preview build for that one.

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't tried Franco's yet, but jelly belly has been pretty solid for the most part. I've been only using lean kernel with this and been hard to tell the difference between lean kernel and the stock linaro that came with jelly belly. I'm about to hop on Xenon and see if that's any better. After that we'll see if aokp rom returns to dominance. Roman just released the preview build for that one.

Go with EOS bug less nightly 90.

Leave the stock JB kernel too.

Or jelly belly with stock kernel or faux

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
how easy is it to root the Nexus 7? i'm interested in trying out future ROMs and - this is a pathetic reason - to install Microsoft's 'core' truetype fonts so that web pages look as they were designed to. the latter can only be done on root.

whenever i've fiddled with linux the first thing i always do is install Georgia, Tahoma, Times New Roman, etc.

it's a sickness :(

Blackhead

Redarse
how easy is it to root the Nexus 7? i'm interested in trying out future ROMs and - this is a pathetic reason - to install Microsoft's 'core' truetype fonts so that web pages look as they were designed to. the latter can only be done on root.

whenever i've fiddled with linux the first thing i always do is install Georgia, Tahoma, Times New Roman, etc.

it's a sickness :(
How does one install fonts on android?

kehs

Banned
Potential to Fruition.

=D

Hey, send me a pm with your gtalk, I need some to talk about setting up a google doc open source dealio like you did for the I/O thread.

Cipherr

I use a Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on mine. It's dry application.

This is what I am using. It doesnt go all the way to the edge to prevent bubbling and peeling of the protector by your case. Its clear and fantastic if applied right. However getting any oil on the screen is bad from my experience. It causes rainbows on a white background if any oil manages to get on the screen.

Its a minor annoyance but Ill take that over the horrible feel of the XO skins and the wet apply ones. I just dont like those.

I'm using this guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=24910351&postcount=21) to backup my phone before trying the bootloader. I have already installed ADB and have enabled USB debugging. I follow the instructions and open the command window and type in the first command. I get a big list but my phone doesn't ask for a password. My settings do not have a full backup password yet, but I don't know how to make one because it requires my CURRENT password; I don't remember making one. The other problem is that, while my phone is connected to my computer, Windows Vista (yup) is updating drivers in an endless cycle that won't seem to stop. It started this when I enabled USB debugging mode. What the hell is going on? Should I bother trying to root my phone or am I too stupid?

tnaden

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a new phone (my lovely Desire is slowly dying). Is Galaxy nexus THE phone to get or can I up the price a bit and get a better phone?
I assume the root support is excellent.. required to get a bigger battery? I'm quite a heavy surfer.. I don't trust official specs in this regard so any personal experiences with the battery time is much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Root and custom firmware support is important. Will be my mp3 player.

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a new phone (my lovely Desire is slowly dying). Is Galaxy nexus THE phone to get or can I up the price a bit and get a better phone?
I assume the root support is excellent.. required to get a bigger battery? I'm quite a heavy surfer.. I don't trust official specs in this regard so any personal experiences with the battery time is much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Root and custom firmware support is important. Will be my mp3 player.

If you can wait, wait for the new Nexus this fall.

Im using it on a $350 GSM Galaxy Nex right now. Just buy a 99 cent sim card kit off of T-Mobiles website when you order your Nexus. The Sim kit will arrive before the phone. It walks you through everything.

I plan on finally switching to T-Mobile Prepaid after false promises and mediocre results from my current provider so I'm in the same bandwagon as you guys :)

I assume its still possible to root/modify a lot of things on the phone even with T-Mobiles Prepaid service?

If you can wait, wait for the new Nexus this fall.

How soon are we talking here? I dont want to be stuck in my current shitty phone any longer :(

Bboy AJ

Is there any news on this, specifically price?

I am going to get the nexus this week but if a new phone is released and is 350-400 bux I could probably wait and get that
Naw, just get the Nexus now.

gcubed

How's JB?

i'll get it from Verizon next week... but seriously. If going from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 took so long, going to a bigger number will take longer!! I mean most of the blogs are amateur at best, but thats laughable.

Anyway. I've been thinking about how much nicer the GSM version is for getting the faster upgrades. Then I had to use a GSM phone yesterday for the first time since i switched, and it made me forget my worries

Cipherr

I plan on finally switching to T-Mobile Prepaid after false promises and mediocre results from my current provider so I'm in the same bandwagon as you guys :)

I assume its still possible to root/modify a lot of things on the phone even with T-Mobiles Prepaid service?

You can change anything you want. When you buy it off contract the device is yours. Theres no bloatware, not required apps. Shit you can even tether all you want. Google Wallet is there and usable. Essentially theres nothing you can't do. I think the only thing I had to do was log in to the account I made on T-mobiles site for my phone, and turn off content filtering which blocks webpages with content they deem 'inappropriate'.

Apparently they are required to do that since with prepaid they have zero information about you, AFAIK not even my name unless I decide to enter it on their website... So its about keeping kids away from bad stuff.

You can change anything you want. When you buy it off contract the device is yours. Theres no bloatware, not required apps. Shit you can even tether all you want. Google Wallet is there and usable. Essentially theres nothing you can't do. I think the only thing I had to do was log in to the account I made on T-mobiles site for my phone, and turn off content filtering which blocks webpages with content they deem 'inappropriate'.

Apparently they are required to do that since with prepaid they have zero information about you, AFAIK not even my name unless I decide to enter it on their website... So its about keeping kids away from bad stuff.

Doesn't tmobile have a way so that you can't tether for free forever?

DEO3

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new to Android, and smart phones in general - my wife bought me a Galaxy Nexus for my birthday this past weekend and it's the first smart phone I've ever owned.

My phone updated to Jelly Bean as soon as I turned it on (it's the unlocked version, purchased from Google's Play store), which I was thrilled to see, but I'm now unable to install Adobe Flash because it's no longer supported for Jelly Bean or something? I was trying to show off my awesome new phone to a friend who does web design the other day, but none of the websites he's made recently would load due to the phone not having Flash, and so he ended up showing them to me on his old ass Android phone,which was kind of embarrassing.

Is there a work around for this?

Mrcapcom

Ok so I haven' tgone to Jelly Belly yet still on Vicious V1 but im gonna either flash Jelly Belly or Xenon HD in a little bit.

I noticed that running stock JB kernal most of my issues went away. I just had a random reboot while playing music Via Google Music this morning and thats it. My QCell Extended lasted longer as well on stock JB kernel :)

Top Bottom