• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new to Android, and smart phones in general - my wife bought me a Galaxy Nexus for my birthday this past weekend and it's the first smart phone I've ever owned.

My phone updated to Jelly Bean as soon as I turned it on (it's the unlocked version, purchased from Google's Play store), which I was thrilled to see, but I'm now unable to install Adobe Flash because it's no longer supported for Jelly Bean or something? I was trying to show off my awesome new phone to a friend who does web design the other day, but none of the websites he's made recently would load due to the phone not having Flash, and so he ended up showing them to me on his old ass Android phone,which was kind of embarrassing.

Is there a work around for this?

It's true that Flash isn't supported in JB anymore and won't show up in the Google Play Store either. You can probably find the flash APK on the net and sideload it to your phone.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok so I haven' tgone to Jelly Belly yet still on Vicious V1 but im gonna either flash Jelly Belly or Xenon HD in a little bit.

I noticed that running stock JB kernal most of my issues went away. I just had a random reboot while playing music Via Google Music this morning and thats it. My QCell Extended lasted longer as well on stock JB kernel :)

Yeah. Stock kernel really has been the most reliable so far.

Mrcapcom

Yeah. Stock kernel really has been the most reliable so far.

I was on Franco and Lean Kernel and I would get a warm/hot screen most of the time low battery life. Even though I know my screen on time won't be high I wasn't getting any good results. I thought it was the extended but then I flashed stock kernel and now the extended works flawlessly not bad for 20 bucks

womp

I was on Franco and Lean Kernel and I would get a warm/hot screen most of the time low battery life. Even though I know my screen on time won't be high I wasn't getting any good results. I thought it was the extended but then I flashed stock kernel and now the extended works flawlessly not bad for 20 bucks

As long as you don't need a lot of MODs, Xenon HD is solid as crap and super stable. Love it.

thespot84

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new to Android, and smart phones in general - my wife bought me a Galaxy Nexus for my birthday this past weekend and it's the first smart phone I've ever owned.

My phone updated to Jelly Bean as soon as I turned it on (it's the unlocked version, purchased from Google's Play store), which I was thrilled to see, but I'm now unable to install Adobe Flash because it's no longer supported for Jelly Bean or something? I was trying to show off my awesome new phone to a friend who does web design the other day, but none of the websites he's made recently would load due to the phone not having Flash, and so he ended up showing them to me on his old ass Android phone,which was kind of embarrassing.

Is there a work around for this?

Apps are installed on android via APK files. Most are obtained like you tried to do through the play store, but there are plenty that are simply distributed as a normal .apk file that you download and then install through a different mechanism.

In your phone's settings, go to Security, then scroll down to device administration, then check 'unknown sources'. This allows you to install .apk's that you don't get from the play store. In the meantime, I have the flash APK somewhere and will post hit here soon.

EDIT: here's an APK from Xda-developers. I just tested it and it works fine http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1763805

Laekon

Well I ordered a Nexus off the Play store today. After over a decade on ATT I'm going to try out this phone on the $30 a month T-Mobile plan. I'm switching from an iPhone 4 so the bigger screen and the HSPA+ should be a good upgrade. I'm only worried I'm going to kick myself in a few months when the new iPhone comes out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well I ordered a Nexus off the Play store today. After over a decade on ATT I'm going to try out this phone on the $30 a month T-Mobile plan. I'm switching from an iPhone 4 so the bigger screen and the HSPA+ should be a good upgrade. I'm only worried I'm going to kick myself in a few months when the new iPhone comes out.

You will kick yourself because the new iPhone will be the shiny new thing when it comes out. But hold out, be strong, and you'll see Android is really a much more useful OS.

zoku88

Can someone help me?

In Jelly Bean for GN, I frequently do something that activates the voice dialer.

Unfortuantely, I have no idea what it is. It usually happens when I either awake my device from sleep or do something regarding audio out.

Fox318

I'm on JellyBelly 3.4 and I'm gonna restore and flash TWRP.

What rom should I use?

I'm thinking about XenonHD or JellyBelly 3.9.

Anyone else have any other good toro roms?

Laekon

You will kick yourself because the new iPhone will be the shiny new thing when it comes out. But hold out, be strong, and you'll see Android is really a much more useful OS.

I'm really hoping the fact that I'm going to be paying $30 instead of $80 a month keeps me from having switching remorse. Also with no AT&T LTE in my area and the lack of new interesting features in io6 I think it's a good time to jump. Phones really seem like they are settling down this year. Sure you can get a quad core processor but they don't seem to make the phone/tablet any better.

Mrcapcom

As long as you don't need a lot of MODs, Xenon HD is solid as crap and super stable. Love it.

What was that issue you had with battery I saw you posted in the rootzwiki page I think. That made me skip it for now but atm im on euroskank aokp with w/e kernel it came with. So far liking the battery life
Screenshot_2012-07-24-09-23-19.png

Screenshot_2012-07-24-09-23-26.png

Screenshot_2012-07-24-09-23-46.png

womp

I'm on JellyBelly 3.4 and I'm gonna restore and flash TWRP.

What rom should I use?

I'm thinking about XenonHD or JellyBelly 3.9.

Anyone else have any other good toro roms?

As a user of Jelly Belly since 1.2 and up until about 3.5 or so, I highly recommend Xenon HD at this point in the game.

womp

What was that issue you had with battery I saw you posted in the rootzwiki page I think. That made me skip it for now but atm im on euroskank aokp with w/e kernel it came with. So far liking the battery life

Oh no, that wasn't a battery *life* issue just a battery percentage mod issue in that it was supposed to have been compatible with the ROM but not actually working. My battery has been fine. :)

reKon

Banned
womp, I've been trying to figure this on the rootzwiki message boards, but the devs have no idea why this isn't working: does using the volume rocker to switch tracks when the screen is off work for you? I'm talking about with google music only, not Apollo.

Mrcapcom

@Womp oh cool lol Your using stock kernel with that as well right?
I'm on the newest EuroSkank AOKP atm I might swap over though.

Why do Kernels Hate my extended battery?

womp

womp, I've been trying to figure this on the rootzwiki message boards, but the devs have no idea why this isn't working: does using the volume rocker to switch tracks when the screen is off work for you? I'm talking about with google music only, not Apollo.

I have never tried it. Not only have I uninstalled Apollo but I think I have opened Google Music three times in my life. I use Subsonic for my music needs.

Sorry, I can't help you. :(

Maybe when I can get some songs cached from Subsonic, I will open up Google Play and give it a go.

@Womp oh cool lol Your using stock kernel with that as well right?
I'm on the newest EuroSkank AOKP atm I might swap over though.

Why do Kernels Hate my extended battery?

Yeah, stock...I don't mess with kernels. heh

Mrcapcom

SkyChief find a tool box on xda and use that you on gsm or verizon?

Whats so good about apex launcher really? I liked Nova better but sinceI just flashed Xenon HD (flash junkie I know I was just on EuroSkank) they use APEX should I stay with it? Is it worth getting Pro?

Salaadin

Sky Chief

This is what I used on my gsm one, but it works on the verizon one as well. There's another toolkit with a windows UI though.

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...d-to-v4-0-now-installs-drivers-automatically/

SkyChief find a tool box on xda and use that you on gsm or verizon?

Whats so good about apex launcher really? I liked Nova better but sinceI just flashed Xenon HD (flash junkie I know I was just on EuroSkank) they use APEX should I stay with it? Is it worth getting Pro?

I used this one when I initially rooted too. Worked great.

Recently, I used this one on my GNex and Nexus 7.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475
I found this one easier to use but not by much. You cant go wrong with either.

Thanks guys!

Piano

Banned
I don't get it. No matter what ROM / Kernel combo I try, I'm lucky to get 3 hours of screen on time. And I never use 4G.

Currently on Bugless Beast JB w/ stock kernel....at 66% battery after 4h 11m and 54m of screen on.

Nekrono

I don't get it. No matter what ROM / Kernel combo I try, I'm lucky to get 3 hours of screen on time. And I never use 4G.

Currently on Bugless Beast JB w/ stock kernel....at 66% battery after 4h 11m and 54m of screen on.

Do you have GPS turned on? That might be what's draining your battery.

kehs

Banned

You're not going to get much more than that unless you start using red mode/blue mode hacks. That's about the max reach for the screen/battery combo.

Nekrono

Is the lockscreen supposed to look like this when music is playing? Because it's butt fucking ugly.

Yes, if you have a pattern lock the player control area will be smaller, if it's fucking ugly it's mainly because of that low res album art, otherwise it's alright.

I know now that the ultimate GNex experience is never installing Nike+.

Deinstalled that app now my phone runs faster, has longer battery life and finds GPS signal more quickly.

Yeah...

no shit, its like going back to the stone ages. Every time i want to complain about not being on the cool kids GSM version i just browse the internet on a 3G phone for 15 seconds and I am good for another 6 months

Geez, you guys are terrible. How did you live 2 years ago? Just give it some time, it's going to SPACE! /Louis CK

no shit, its like going back to the stone age. Every time i want to complain about not being on the cool kids GSM version i just browse the internet on a 3G phone for 15 seconds and I am good for another 6 months

God damn it. We're probably years away from 4g in blighty. Mind you I'm sure the networks would use it to price gouge cos the 4g licenses will undoubtedly not be cheap.

Top Bottom