• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
no shit, its like going back to the stone age. Every time i want to complain about not being on the cool kids GSM version i just browse the internet on a 3G phone for 15 seconds and I am good for another 6 months

I miss my LTE so much. It'll be like two years before shitty Europe gets anything close. Surprising change of order.

LTE was blazing fast and to be honest, I wouldn't ever buy another phone without it if I were in an area with coverage.

Husker86

So I reflashed xenon HD again and still no google now. I guess I'm gonna go back to jelly belly once it hits 4.0
Are you clearing cache before flashing? I've used the last 2 Xenon ROMs (even came from JellyBelly by only wiping cache) and have Google Now.

Husker86

I'll reflash for a third time later but I cleared cache and data.

Very strange. Only other thing I can think of is redownloading (unless you did that for the second flash). I've never personally had a corrupted download that I can remember, but I'm sure it can happen.

womp

Just flashed xenon HD.

Where is Google now ?

No clue...You must of done something wrong. Google Now is in there.

Did you flash the correct GAPPS that go along with it?

wipe data/cache

wipe dalvik

flash xenon

flash gapps

reboot

Usually if something like this happens, it could be because you didn't download the complete zip. As Husker86 mentioned, redownload...Xenon 4.0 should be 147MB total and you may have flashed an incomplete file.

GatorBait

For those who have been using it, what's the verdict on Google Now?

How does it affect your battery life? I would imagine with it regularly pinging for location/sync data that it would keep your phone awake/out of idle for a decent part of the day. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefit of decreased battery life vs. usefulness of GNow.

reKon

Banned
I do, what's up?

Never mind, I finally figured out. I wasn't able to change the track that was playing by holding down either of the volume keys (when the screen is off). I had to go an actually disable Apollo to get it to work. All my music is on Google music was it was pretty important that I figured out what was going on, lol. It was the only reason I switched from Jelly Belly. Xenon HD is probably one of the top roms out now, IMO. Those two developers keep it up and I might not even have a reason to switch back to AOKP.

Husker86

Never mind, I finally figured out. I wasn't able to change the track that was playing by holding down either of the volume keys (when the screen is off). I had to go an actually disable Apollo to get it to work. All my music is on Google music was it was pretty important that I figured out what was going on, lol. It was the only reason I switched from Jelly Belly. Xenon HD is probably one of the top roms out now, IMO. Those two developers keep it up and I might not even have a reason to switch back to AOKP.

Oh damn, that's how you get it to work? Thanks!

womp

Yep, Xenon HD has been one of the best ROM experiences for me out of the gate, especially where Jelly Bean is concerned.

Laekon

Anyone know how long it takes Google to ship? My contract is up with AT&T this week and I was hoping to get my Galaxy Nexus before the weekend.

I'm also interested in hearing how Google Now effects the battery.

Anyone know how long it takes Google to ship? My contract is up with AT&T this week and I was hoping to get my Galaxy Nexus before the weekend.

I placed an order 2 days ago and my CC already got charged but no tracking number or any updates on my order. Not a first good impression on my first Google Play purchase :/

Cipherr

I placed an order 2 days ago and my CC already got charged but no tracking number or any updates on my order. Not a first good impression on my first Google Play purchase :/

If its like mine, it'll arrive a day or three before you get the shipment email. They have seriously been having a lot of trouble with their email communications. When I got the package, I took the tracking # off of the actual UPS box and plugged it into UPS.com, found out they shipped the day I was charged. But I still didn't get the email saying it shipped until 3 days after I already had it.

Salaadin

Google play always posts a verification charge on your CC that will disappear in 2-3 days. If the charge you got is just hanging around in "pending", it might only be the verification. I

Best way to keep an eye on your order is by watching your Google Play and Google Wallet accounts. Go here:
https://play.google.com/store/account

When your Nexus 7 is ready to be shipped, youll see it jump to the top of that page and the date will change to whatever day it is. Clicking "info" will bring you to Wallet where you can see if it actually shipped or not. Wallet will list the tracking number and everything there.

EDIT: Wow, I thought I was in the Nexus 7 thread. What I said might still apply here, though.

If its like mine, it'll arrive a day or three before you get the shipment email. They have seriously been having a lot of trouble with their email communications. When I got the package, I took the tracking # off of the actual UPS box and plugged it into UPS.com, found out they shipped the day I was charged. But I still didn't get the email saying it shipped until 3 days after I already had it.

Google play always posts a verification charge on your CC that will disappear in 2-3 days. If the charge you got is just hanging around in "pending", it might only be the verification. I

Best way to keep an eye on your order is by watching your Google Play and Google Wallet accounts. Go here:
https://play.google.com/store/account

When your Nexus 7 is ready to be shipped, youll see it jump to the top of that page and the date will change to whatever day it is. Clicking "info" will bring you to Wallet where you can see if it actually shipped or not. Wallet will list the tracking number and everything there.

EDIT: Wow, I thought I was in the Nexus 7 thread. What I said might still apply here, though.

yeah im good now. about 10 mins after i posted that, i got an email saying the nexus has been shipped and got the tracking #, etc.

someone must've been listening eh? also, i got my shipping confirmation for the t-mobile sim card this morning. hopefully both arrive this weekend :)

Sky Chief

I unlocked and rooted my replacement GN (broken screen) and am on the official Verizon 4.0.4 with everything stock.

I have not even activated the phone yet but it continually dies in a few hours with use or not.

When the screen is on there are also strange, faint clicking noises coming from the phone every now and then. Is my replacement just effed or what?

Any suggestions?

somato

For those who have been using it, what's the verdict on Google Now?

How does it affect your battery life? I would imagine with it regularly pinging for location/sync data that it would keep your phone awake/out of idle for a decent part of the day. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefit of decreased battery life vs. usefulness of GNow.

Yes, the location service drains the crap out of my battery and Now doesn't really work without it. :( I don't have exact numbers offhand, but iirc when it's turned on my battery is 25-30% lower when I leave work.

Piano

Banned
Well, when I have some time later tonight or tomorrow I'm going to bail on bugless beast. Battery life is complete shit even with leankernel and it reboots in my pocket.

Sounds like XenonHD is the next best destination?

Yes, the location service drains the crap out of my battery and Now doesn't really work without it. :( I don't have exact numbers offhand, but iirc when it's turned on my battery is 25-30% lower when I leave work.

Does location service show up as draining battery in battery history? I'm wondering if I need to worry about it sucking power if it shows screen as being 90% of my battery usage.

kinggroin

Banned
I unlocked and rooted my replacement GN (broken screen) and am on the official Verizon 4.0.4 with everything stock.

I have not even activated the phone yet but it continually dies in a few hours with use or not.

When the screen is on there are also strange, faint clicking noises coming from the phone every now and then. Is my replacement just effed or what?

Any suggestions?

Call VZW. Get another replacement sent out.

I want through three of them before I finally got a good one.

gcubed

i've been using Latitude to share my location for over 2 years now, haven't noticed a difference on or off

Zeppu

Had my first G+ event yesterday. Notification when to leave in Google Now and party mode with photo sharing is pretty nifty. I like a lot.

Fake edit: uh-oh, what did mescaline do?

kehs

Banned
Had my first G+ event yesterday. Notification when to leave in Google Now and party mode with photo sharing is pretty nifty. I like a lot.

Fake edit: uh-oh, what did mescaline do?

My apple troll accounts are going down all over the place.

I figured I'd ask now since the GNex is coming in the mail this afternoon.

With so many Roms/Kernels out there to choose from, if anyone can help me narrow down a Rom that would fit my preferences I would appreciate it.

Theres really only 3 things I really need/want:

1. wireless tethering
2. increased battery life
3. increased signal range (or so I've read on other places)

I dont care much for UI customizations or widgets, though theyre certainly welcome as long as they have the first 3 things that I need first.

Also, does anyone know a website/guide for noobs like me when it comes to rooting and flashing roms, etc? I came from the iOS world so the android stuff is foreign to me.

kinggroin

Banned
I figured I'd ask now since the GNex is coming in the mail this afternoon.

With so many Roms/Kernels out there to choose from, if anyone can help me narrow down a Rom that would fit my preferences I would appreciate it.

Theres really only 3 things I really need/want:

1. wireless tethering

I dont care much for UI customizations or widgets, though theyre certainly welcome as long as they have the first 3 things that I need first.

Also, does anyone know a website/guide for noobs like me when it comes to rooting and flashing roms, etc? I came from the iOS world so the android stuff is foreign to me.

Team EOS nightly 92 with Franco kernel 225 (you can undervolt and increase signal strength for WiFi as well using the Franco app in the play store)

Or

Xenon with Franco kernel and app as well (same version)

CM10 kang with stock kernel is another nice one

Team EOS nightly 92 with Franco kernel 225 (you can undervolt and increase signal strength for WiFi as well using the Franco app in the play store)

Or

Xenon with Franco kernel and app as well (same version)

CM10 kang with stock kernel is another nice one

Thanks. Does it matter if im on ICS or JB? Right now its prompting me to update to JB but I havent updated the phone yet.

kehs

Banned
Thanks. Does it matter if im on ICS or JB? Right now its prompting me to update to JB but I havent updated the phone yet.

You'll be replacing the entire OS if you load up a rom so it doesn't really matter.

As for:

1. wireless tethering

1) It's included with your phone.
2 & 3) are going to depend on how you use the phone/where.

Don't think you need to worry about rooms and all that jazz yet. At most just look into unlocking the bootloader and rooting the regular stock rom. You can manage the CPU with just root.

Lesiroth

Oh, great. The Galaxy Nexus I got had a rather annoying purple tint, so I called Samsung and asked for another one. The new one I got doesn't have the purple tint, but there's a faint yet jarring vertical band in the middle, and they don't have any other replacements. Now I get to pick between purple hue and vertical band. Yay.

Laekon

Got my Nexus this afternoon and running it on AT&T for a few days. I got all my most used apps from iOS already and they don't seem any different. I like a lot of features such as the notification draw and Google now.

I'll be going to the $30 T-Mobile plan with this phone.

General question: what does everyone use/recommend for an audio player? The Apollo that came with the Xenon HD rom is ok, but far too simplistic and limited to my liking.

kehs

Banned
Oh, great. The Galaxy Nexus I got had a rather annoying purple tint, so I called Samsung and asked for another one. The new one I got doesn't have the purple tint, but there's a faint yet jarring vertical band in the middle, and they don't have any other replacements. Now I get to pick between purple hue and vertical band. Yay.

Stick to LCD based phones.

jersoc

anyones google now stop showing in the notification pulldown? on the cyan 10 build. was working fine yesterday with no changes.

reKon

Banned
Xenon HD 5.0 is out! I just dirty flashed.

Who's gonna be the first to try those AOKP previews and let us now how it runs?

Top Bottom