• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
Stupid question, but how do I unroot? I want to start using Google Wallet.

There's two ways, once is a temp unroot and the other is a permament. Not sure which superuser app you're using, but if you look inside the settings both options might be in there.

You can still use Google Wallet with root btw. It just says "unsupported" on the top.

Emily Chu

Banned
Does ICS Browser + work on Jellybean ?

Can you sync bookmarks with the default browser ?

still on ICS AOKP M6 atm

since the phone version of JB does include the stock browser ?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Been using the GN for a good while now and not getting good battery life. Thinking of rooting. Any roms out there that offer improved battery life?

lunchtoast

I would just use the roms people talk about here. I think it's more about the kernel though. Kernels that come with roms seem to be good enough, or you could use franco kernels.

3phemeral

Anyone else getting Reboots on Xenon HD when the screen sleeps? I've flashed & Factory reset this thing enough times to know it's not a bad flash. Changing kernels doesn't change the behavior at all.

lunchtoast

Anyone else getting Reboots on Xenon HD when the screen sleeps? I've flashed & Factory reset this thing enough times to know it's not a bad flash. Changing kernels doesn't change the behavior at all.

Of the 3 versions I've used I don't remember any random reboots. I'm on CNA now though.

Piano

Banned

What version are you on? I haven't had this issue but I also haven't upgraded beyond v5

VPhys

Here's a tip:

Don't drop your Galaxy Nexus. I did, from 5 foot onto solid concrete. Some how, I have no idea how it was externally completely perfect. Not a scratch on the screen or casing.

But now every time the thing vibrates it sounds like the screen or something else is vibrating. I opened it up and took a look and I can't see any physical issues or something loose. So I can only assume the vibration motor is a little knackered. Ah well. Just glad it didn't completely smash.
Dropped my Nexus onto concrete as well. There is a dent in the corner, and the back plate no longer sits flush ( it has a slight bubble effect), but performance of the phone itself is the same.

womp

I read somewhere that Xenon still runs a little bit smoother than CNA

I was using Xenon before switching to CNA and I don't see any differences in that regard. Then again I don't mess with kernels so who knows what is being run in terms of overclocking etc.

3phemeral

What version are you on? I haven't had this issue but I also haven't upgraded beyond v5

I had version 7 at the time. I noticed there was an update on the 12th, and I think I was using the version from the 11th, but I still had reboot issues after flashing. Strangely enough after posting, I no longer had screen-off reboots. Minecraft runs like ass, though, whereas on vicious JB AOSP V1, I never had it stutter or lag. I'll try 9.0 maybe tomorrow. :)

I wanted to try codename android, but isn't he the dude that steals other people's code?

Futureman

does this have gorilla glass?

just noticed a new scratch. Looks like a hair sitting on top of the screen ugh. Had my Droid X for two years and never had any noticeable scratches on the screen. GNex for 2 months and I already have two :(

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Had this phone for over a month now and really enjoying it. I have 2 negatives though. One is the size, this phone is pretty big and from now on I will not go bigger. To me it is the upper limits on how big a phone should be. A tad smaller and it would be perfect. The other is the battery life. Having to charge the phone at least twice daily. Other than that I am really enjoying vanilla Android. My previous phones where HTC running sense.

Had this phone for over a month now and really enjoying it. I have 2 negatives though. One is the size, this phone is pretty big and from now on I will not go bigger. To me it is the upper limits on how big a phone should be. A tad smaller and it would be perfect. The other is the battery life. Having to charge the phone at least twice daily. Other than that I am really enjoying vanilla Android. My previous phones where HTC running sense.

If you're willing to root your device, you may be able to improve battery life. I go to sleep with my device at 30-60% remaining depending on my usage. On stock I had to emergency charge sometimes.

The data connection on my Verizon Tuna went down for most of the day. Verizon has had outages before but never this long. But then it came back up and for the first time ever out here, the 4G icon showed up next to the signal bars! Yes, Verizon 4G LTE has finally come to my market! I must be in the 75% of US population!

reKon

Banned
They don't have my most cherished feature: long pressing to switch tracks.

It's ok though cause AOKP build 1 feels very smooth (like I may be able to tell a difference, lol) and has some new features that Xenon HD didn't have (but Codename probably already implemented from the AOKP nightlys).

I hope that they start belting out these builds every few days. Because I want to see all the features I had in milestone 6 back.

One thing that I NEVER touched was the settings with the colors. Well AOKP has in device options display settings where you can change the color multipliers and color gamma. I usually didn't ever mess with this stuff, but when I went here, it turns out that there a preset settings including CM Sett. After easily applying all the CM settings, everything looks darker, but has a higher contrast. I'm going to roll with this for a while and see how much this helps battery life. In addition, I'm going to stick with faux and see how it does battery life. It's annoying to try to figure out which kernel is the best for you.

womp

What I don't like is that the GAPPS aren't allowing me to sync my Picasa account in the Gallery app.

But if I switch the GAPPS out for another which does sync, I then lose my GPS lock. Ehh...I need my Gallery sync.

rozay

Banned
This was posted in the Android OT, thought it would be relevant here too:

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/21/are-these-the-specifications-of-the-new-nexus-gt-i9260/

If true, I'm guessing google wants to keep the $350 price point and is simply going to do a spec bump to an OMAP 4470. I'm not sold on this based on the fact that it claims to have an SD card slot and google has very clear reasons why they've been omitted on the past 3 nexus devices.

GatorBait

rozay said:
I'm not sold on this based on the fact that it claims to have an SD card slot and google has very clear reasons why they've been omitted on the past 3 nexus devices.
What reason is that? I wondered why the Nexus didn't have an SD card slot.

Blackhead

Redarse
What reason is that? I wondered why the Nexus didn't have an SD card slot.

Well, the Nexus team isn't philosophically opposed to it nor do they need storage tiers for boost their profit margins (a la Apple). A member of the Android team explained a bit last year:
Dan Morrill said:
There's no particular hardware reason a device can't have both [internal storage and SD card]. The problem is that there is no good UI for it.
So.. Duarte to the rescue? A revolutionary file system UI (instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater) would be huge.

rozay

Banned
In addition to the UMS stuff Greyface mentioned, I feel like it's also an incentive to get people to use their services rather than dump everything on their phone, though the Nexus 7 is more guilty of this than the phones.

How does the Galaxy S3 handle the flash+a memory card? Does it support UMS or is it also MTP only?

Top Bottom