• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

Here's a tip:

Don't drop your Galaxy Nexus. I did, from 5 foot onto solid concrete. Some how, I have no idea how it was externally completely perfect. Not a scratch on the screen or casing.

But now every time the thing vibrates it sounds like the screen or something else is vibrating. I opened it up and took a look and I can't see any physical issues or something loose. So I can only assume the vibration motor is a little knackered. Ah well. Just glad it didn't completely smash.

Mine does this too after I dropped it.

gcubed

i just noticed that my notification light stopped working. Time to get a replacement. I'm just so nervous getting a replacement

DEO3

How do I set my phone to alert me to new notifications when it's locked? The notification light often doesn't light up, and it seems to only play the 'new notification sound' when it's unlocked. Even though I always have my phone on me, I find myself having to constantly unlock it just to see if someone has sent me a text or something.

kehs

Banned
How do I set my phone to alert me to new notifications when it's locked? The notification light often doesn't light up, and it seems to only play the 'new notification sound' when it's unlocked. Even though I always have my phone on me, I find myself having to constantly unlock it just to see if someone has sent me a text or something.
Install light flow.

Mrcapcom

On Xenon HD 6 dirty flashed (cleared cache and dalvik) And its pretty sweet is it just me or does it seem like the pattern lock dots got smaller?
I'm using Flow AOKP theme and Tersus Icons

Just got my Gnex in and im loving it, but there's one small problem thus far. It's taking forever to charge. I've literally had it on the charger for about a good hour and it's just moved to 13%. Is my phone defective, and has this been a problem for anyone else?

kehs

Banned
Just got my Gnex in and im loving it, but there's one small problem thus far. It's taking forever to charge. I've literally had it on the charger for about a good hour and it's just moved to 13%. Is my phone defective, and has this been a problem for anyone else?

Have you been using it the whole time? The screen eats up battery, so if you're using it while charging it pretty much just maintains it's current battery charge.

Have you been using it the whole time? The screen eats up battery, so if you're using it while charging it pretty much just maintains it's current battery charge.

Turned out that likes to be charged via the wall and not a multi plug outlet. I'll have to keep that in mind!

I've got one more question if you guys don't mind. I saw this nice home screen on mycolorscreen.com and I have no idea how to add it. Anyone mind a minor walk through?

This one: http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/08/03/typojelly

Feeling so noobish iPhone made everything too easy

kinggroin

Banned
Turned out that likes to be charged via the wall and not a multi plug outlet. I'll have to keep that in mind!

I've got one more question if you guys don't mind. I saw this nice home screen on mycolorscreen.com and I have no idea how to add it. Anyone mind a minor walk through?

This one: http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/08/03/typojelly

Feeling so noobish iPhone made everything too easy

That's not a home screen, but a custom lock screen. The app is called widgetlocker. You can add widgets and whatnot to your lock screen to make selected data easily available without unlocking the phone.

Emily Chu

Banned
kinda jelly now, my 16 yr old younger brother just picked up a pebble blue Galaxy S III from Verizon but they capped his data @ 2GB for 199$

still rocking my Gnex with unlimited 4G though

how long is this unlimited plan going to last before they finally decide to say fuck you and force everyone off ?

he was ready to buy a iphone 4S they took it out and everything, but me and a sales rep changed his mind @ the last minute by shit talking the ip4s into oblivion

no flash, no 4G LTE, tiny 3.5 "screen, less ram, no customization, locked echo system, it's a year old, etc all that for the same price... 199.99$

he asked me and the sales rep what phone we would get, we answer in unison the SAMSUNG GALAXY S III for 199.99$

he put the ip4s down and said... get me a SGIII.....

:D

Futureman

Chu, do you like the size of the SIII?

Even though it's close to the GNEX, it seems a lot bigger to me. Personally I feel the GNEX is pretty much the perfect phone size.

Emily Chu

Banned
Chu, do you like the size of the SIII?

Even though it's close to the GNEX, it seems a lot bigger to me. Personally I feel the GNEX is pretty much the perfect phone size.

The size pretty much feels the same, slimmer though then my gnex.

I hope my next phone is a Nexus Note or something with a 5.5" + screen as long as it's made light and thin, it really should be a problem even if the screen is like 6 inches.

call me crazy but I really do think by 2014-15ish 6" 1080p super phones will be a reality.
non existing bezels and feather light profiles, ultra slim and lightweight.

it becomes a sort of mini notebook of sorts

kehs

Banned
The size pretty much feels the same, slimmer though then my gnex.

I hope my next phone is a Nexus Note or something with a 5.5" + screen as long as it's made light and thin, it really should be a problem even if the screen is like 6 inches.

call me crazy but I really do think by 2014-15ish 6" 1080p super phones will be a reality.
non existing bezels and feather light profiles, ultra slim and lightweight.

it becomes a sort of mini notebook of sorts

Think outside the box, by 2015 we'll have rollup displays that can be both pocket sized in the pocket and expandable to phablet size without compromise.

Mordeccai

Love my GNex now that I've got the home screen finalized! (Thanks to Copernicus for some editing on the background, much appreciated)

YbLZX.png

Lockscreen and the single homescreen. All I need is right there. The two purple/blue circles in the middle are actually a UCCW clock, but I added a text one to be on the safe side if I need to read the time quick. Jellybean allows me to just swipe down and expand the notification bar (or is that Nova?) but I also have a button in the middle to expand it if its acting wonky. I click on Andy and it takes me to Airdroid.

Music control without unlocking the phone, a godsend for me. Damn I love android. Been here since the OG Droid and never leaving.

reKon

Banned
Love my GNex now that I've got the home screen finalized! (Thanks to Copernicus for some editing on the background, much appreciated)

Lockscreen and the single homescreen. All I need is right there. The two purple/blue circles in the middle are actually a UCCW clock, but I added a text one to be on the safe side if I need to read the time quick. Jellybean allows me to just swipe down and expand the notification bar (or is that Nova?) but I also have a button in the middle to expand it if its acting wonky. I click on Andy and it takes me to Airdroid.

Music control without unlocking the phone, a godsend for me. Damn I love android. Been here since the OG Droid and never leaving.

This is a very nice set up.

Are you using Xenon HD as your rom?

For the first time, I can say that everything is nearly perfect on my rom + launcher (Xenon HD 6.0 and Nova Beta 3). Before there was some slightly performance issues due to nova launcher, but they fixed almost all of it and it's faster now. Your set up kills mine though lol.

Jesus, how long did it take you to set all of this up?

Mordeccai

This is a very nice set up.

Are you using Xenon HD as your rom?

For the first time, I can say that everything is nearly perfect on my rom + launcher (Xenon HD 6.0 and Nova Beta 3). Before there was some slightly performance issues due to nova launcher, but they fixed almost all of it and it's faster now. Your set up kills mine though lol.

Jesus, how long did it take you to set all of this up?

Yup I am using Xenon, good guess ;] running franco's latest nightly and I broke 2 hrs screen on time for the first time ever today (god damn LTE nexus.) 2 hrs 45 minutes, very impressed.

It actually only took me about half an hour. I don't have a creative bone in my body. I used this link to do it all. It uses a lot of transparent icons.

If you've never checked out mycolorscreen.com I'd check it out. Some cool set ups on there and they're usually detailed on how to set yours up the same.

rozay

Banned
My friend with a Verizon nexus isn't interested in custom roms for security reasons, is there a way for him to install the official 4.1 update from the GSM version with 4.0.4's radio files?

reKon

Banned
Yup I am using Xenon, good guess ;] running franco's latest nightly and I broke 2 hrs screen on time for the first time ever today (god damn LTE nexus.) 2 hrs 45 minutes, very impressed.

It actually only took me about half an hour. I don't have a creative bone in my body. I used this link to do it all. It uses a lot of transparent icons.

If you've never checked out mycolorscreen.com I'd check it out. Some cool set ups on there and they're usually detailed on how to set yours up the same.

so you're confirming that franco's is better than stock? All I've been using is the stock kernel that comes with Xenon HD this whole time and it's been pretty solid.

SolidPain

Neo Member
This question was probably asked before, but what is a good extended battery to buy? I don't need insane extra juice but I would like my phone to last the day (I live in the UK).

Mordeccai

so you're confirming that franco's is better than stock? All I've been using is the stock kernel that comes with Xenon HD this whole time and it's been pretty solid.

For my device, yes. For yours? Its anybodys guess. If you get good battery life I wouldn't tamper with it. I have tried so many different kernel and rom combinations, and generally franco ate away my battery. But every device is different in how it responds to the combinations, so the only thing I can tell you is to try multiple ones out if you're not satisfied. Just remember your current combo so you can revert back to what you're used to.

gcubed

so... good lord. I got a replacement brand new LTE Galaxy Nexus (finally, fuck Asurion). My original one was from launch, with a build date of Nov 11 and the original hardware revision. This new one is from March 12 with a newer hardware revision... man, the screen is nicer (which could have just been the variation), LTE is stronger, 3G/4G switching actually HAPPENS. I didnt know i had that many troubles

Mrcapcom

This question was probably asked before, but what is a good extended battery to buy? I don't need insane extra juice but I would like my phone to last the day (I live in the UK).

I got mines I have a QCell form Amazon 3800 mah and its great with heavy usuage. I think the highest I got to was 16hours with 34% and I think like 2 hr or more screen time. I would grab a qcell if it don't work u just be out 20 bucks but mines works great ill post any screens or w/e if you want I think I have most of everything on my G+ account.

Bulk wise it isn't that bad coming from the Thunderbolt and BIONIC extended batteries. I also have the oem 2100 which gets me through maybe 8 hours or so. So IMO grab the Qcell if u wanna try it out

daoster

I got mines I have a QCell form Amazon 3800 mah and its great with heavy usuage. I think the highest I got to was 16hours with 34% and I think like 2 hr or more screen time. I would grab a qcell if it don't work u just be out 20 bucks but mines works great ill post any screens or w/e if you want I think I have most of everything on my G+ account.

Bulk wise it isn't that bad coming from the Thunderbolt and BIONIC extended batteries. I also have the oem 2100 which gets me through maybe 8 hours or so. So IMO grab the Qcell if u wanna try it out

You using Verizon nexus? Cause on Amazon, it says it's not compatible with the Verizon version.. Also... Does it support nfc?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

This is hideous (sorry, man).

Mordeccai

This is hideous (sorry, man).

Meh, I like it. Everything is right there and I think it looks cool. I had an extremely basic and minimalistic set up for a while and I got tired of having to navigate through the app drawer.

Just never been a fan of the wall o icons look that so many people tend to throw on their phones. I'll eventually get bored of it and look for something new.

th3dude

Meh, I like it. Everything is right there and I think it looks cool. I had an extremely basic and minimalistic set up for a while and I got tired of having to navigate through the app drawer.

Just never been a fan of the wall o icons look that so many people tend to throw on their phones. I'll eventually get bored of it and look for something new.

Can you post more details on your setup? I REALLY like it :)

Mordeccai

Can you post more details on your setup? I REALLY like it :)

I nabbed it off of mycolorscreen and only made a few tweaks. Here is the link, the instructions are fairly easy to follow. There is a youtube video url in the .rar file on that site that walks you through step by step. It should be in the readme.

My background was edited by a kind soul here on gaf to change out a few icons and text and I threw an extra widget on the lock screen (with widget locker.) Let me know if you'd prefer my wallpaper to the one you get through the link.

I'm on the XenonHD rom which gives me the search softkey. And the unread counts on the gmail are through nova prime launcher.

th3dude

I nabbed it off of mycolorscreen and only made a few tweaks. Here is the link, the instructions are fairly easy to follow. There is a youtube video url in the .rar file on that site that walks you through step by step. It should be in the readme.

My background was edited by a kind soul here on gaf to change out a few icons and text and I threw an extra widget on the lock screen (with widget locker.) Let me know if you'd prefer my wallpaper to the one you get through the link.

I'm on the XenonHD rom which gives me the search softkey. And the unread counts on the gmail are through nova prime launcher.

I really want the galaxy nexus, but I'm worried Google will announce the GN2 the day I buy it :(

GNex is a very capable phone, especially after Roms and other custom stuff :)

Plus, Google's new phone will have to fall under the "expensive" category for sure. So for $349, you cant go wrong here. Buy it, enjoy it, upgrade to the new google phone next year when its cheaper :p

th3dude

Would you mind sharing the background?

womp

yeah, roms that are based off of other great roms are probably going to be great as well

I don't keep up with the drama behind the scenes, as long as they are functional and won't bust my device I bounce around to whatever ROM works best for me. I flip flop on a daily/weekly basis anyhow, but up until this CNA ROM I was a Xenon fan and before that Jelly Belly. Ultimately I think Xenon at its core is the best out there but I like to try them all. :)

Cudder

I unlocked and flashed my friends GN to 4.1.1 last night, and it was RIDICULOUSLY easy, even more so than when I flashed mine when JB came out. I used this guide.

Everything is automatic now, the flashing of the radio and system, and all the other stuff. Amazing stuff.

Top Bottom