• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Husker86

In addition to the UMS stuff Greyface mentioned, I feel like it's also an incentive to get people to use their services rather than dump everything on their phone, though the Nexus 7 is more guilty of this than the phones.

How does the Galaxy S3 handle the flash+a memory card? Does it support UMS or is it also MTP only?

From what I remember I think it was MTP only out of the box. You got to choose which storage to browse when you opened the GSIII in Windows Explorer.

gcubed

This was posted in the Android OT, thought it would be relevant here too:

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/21/are-these-the-specifications-of-the-new-nexus-gt-i9260/

If true, I'm guessing google wants to keep the $350 price point and is simply going to do a spec bump to an OMAP 4470. I'm not sold on this based on the fact that it claims to have an SD card slot and google has very clear reasons why they've been omitted on the past 3 nexus devices.

i have major doubts that this is at all true.

gcubed

I'm out of the loop, why is google excluding SD cards in Nexus devices now?

they have ever since they got any semblance of storage built in. They say its a UI issue and they can't seamlessly integrate the SD into the OS as far as usability goes, so they don't offer it

gimmmick

Been out of the loop with nexus news, but when will verizon galaxy nexus get jelly bean update? (and no, I'm not a fan of rooting, don't really have the patients to do so).

gutshot

Been out of the loop with nexus news, but when will verizon galaxy nexus get jelly bean update? (and no, I'm not a fan of rooting, don't really have the patients to do so).

No one knows. It took them something like 6 months to simply update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.4, so a jump to 4.1 could take even longer.

No one knows. It took them something like 6 months to simply update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.4, so a jump to 4.1 could take even longer.

I'm hoping that as with 4.0.4, there will be a leaked 4.1 before official 4.1 drops. All I want is a bone-stock AOSP 4.1 + My Verizon support I can flash. My Verizon Tuna has stock 4.0.4 and I love stock Android, the only thing I've done with it is add Leankernel.

thespot84

I'm hoping that as with 4.0.4, there will be a leaked 4.1 before official 4.1 drops. All I want is a bone-stock AOSP 4.1 + My Verizon support I can flash. My Verizon Tuna has stock 4.0.4 and I love stock Android, the only thing I've done with it is add Leankernel.

jelly belly is your friend.....just do it

gcubed

It will end up being a newer version than what's out now. Also Verizon has a radio fix for newer revision devices with constant drops that they pushed out to "end of August". I would expect to hear something in general in the next 2 weeks

GatorBait

When I finally upgraded my old Droid Incredible about a month ago, I had to make the tough choice on whether or not I wanted the Verizon G-Nexus (I knew I wanted stock Android). I ended up bailing and getting the GSM G-Nexus on AT&T. I have little to no faith in Verizon's upgrade process, and half the point of getting stock Android for me is getting timely access to OS upgrades.

womp

Oh man...

Codename Android 3.3.1

CNA100 kernel

Formula84's GAPPS

My Verizon GNex is in heaven. I am officially done crackflashing for awhile! :)

Cartman86

Banned
Have a question about cases and screen protectors. Doing a lot of research for a heavy duty case for my father. Just got him a free Galaxy Nexus from Best Buy. He carries his phones around in holsters and works in a crane, so I'm thinking of going with this Ottorbox Commuter as a case and this Seidio Active Holster for the holster. Since I've seen a couple people say that case works with this holster I figure i'm safe there. I guess I need a screen protector too, so what do you guys recommend that doesn't create crazy smudge marks or that horrible rainbow effect? Is it even worth it to get a screen protector with this case? I don't use one on mine. I would have gotten the Ottorbox Defender (which does all this in one solution), but many of the reviews say the built in screen protector is shit and dirt gets inside which scratches the screen.

Cipherr

Isnt Samsung rumored to get JB out to international GS3's late this month? I would die laughing if a third party device hit JB before Verizons shitty Nexus.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
sometimes i wonder how my life would have turned out if id have waited for this phone

I just got a Sprint Gnex about 2 weeks ago, but I am well versed in customs ROMs as I was a owner of the original Nexus One. I want Jelly Bean, but need to know some of the pitfalls of flashing this phone.

Isnt Samsung rumored to get JB out to international GS3's late this month? I would die laughing if a third party device hit JB before Verizons shitty Nexus.
get 911 on standby, there have already been at least 3 JB leaks for the international GS3, it's not looking good for toro.

I just got a Sprint Gnex about 2 weeks ago, but I am well versed in customs ROMs as I was a owner of the original Nexus One. I want Jelly Bean, but need to know some of the pitfalls of flashing this phone.

pitfalls include flashing addiction and a new sense of smugness.

reKon

Banned
Have a question about cases and screen protectors. Doing a lot of research for a heavy duty case for my father. Just got him a free Galaxy Nexus from Best Buy. He carries his phones around in holsters and works in a crane, so I'm thinking of going with this Ottorbox Commuter as a case and this Seidio Active Holster for the holster. Since I've seen a couple people say that case works with this holster I figure i'm safe there. I guess I need a screen protector too, so what do you guys recommend that doesn't create crazy smudge marks or that horrible rainbow effect? Is it even worth it to get a screen protector with this case? I don't use one on mine. I would have gotten the Ottorbox Defender (which does all this in one solution), but many of the reviews say the built in screen protector is shit and dirt gets inside which scratches the screen.

Love the the Commuter.

Still haven't found a screen protector I really like though. Wasn't a fan of the Zagg or whatever that ones called. Too noticeable and the texture was too "sticky". I'm on a different one that I can't remember but it was a wet app too. Much more invisible but there are marks on it.

So is it safe to cross-flash stock 4.0.4 to one of the JB ROMs, and then someday when the official Google 4.1 ROM drops, flash back to the official ROM? I don't want to reinstall everything again and again. I went through that with my old Droid X and it always took me a whole day to get my phone back the way it was.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
So is it safe to cross-flash stock 4.0.4 to one of the JB ROMs, and then someday when the official Google 4.1 ROM drops, flash back to the official ROM? I don't want to reinstall everything again and again. I went through that with my old Droid X and it always took me a whole day to get my phone back the way it was.
I find Titanium Backup very helpful.

Musan

I cracked my screen =(

What's my best option, GAF?

I've also just cracked my screen, it's an old Evo 4g. The screen on the evo is still somewhat usable, just looks gnarly. I still have a little more than a month until my next upgrade, and I do plan to stay with them. Should I buy a Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus secondhand cheap for now, or just wait it out?

I've also just cracked my screen, it's an old Evo 4g. The screen on the evo is still somewhat usable, just looks gnarly. I still have a little more than a month until my next upgrade, and I do plan to stay with them. Should I buy a Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus secondhand cheap for now, or just wait it out?

gnex second hand is still pretty expensive.

Top Bottom