• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Musan

Not as much as a S3, around 300. I'm just wondering about whether I should hold onto the upgrade till the next big phone comes out and get a GNex, or just wait and use the upgrade for a S3.

I've been gradually noticing that my Nexus doesn't charge as fast as it has since I got it. I bought it about 6 months ago, and about every month the charge time would increase by an hour. Now, I will generally get the battery to 5%ish before plugging it in, after about 5-6 hours the phone will be at around 86% sometimes more, sometimes less. Is this a problem with the battery, charger, or the phone itself?

NawidA

Banned
I've been gradually noticing that my Nexus doesn't charge as fast as it has since I got it. I bought it about 6 months ago, and about every month the charge time would increase by an hour. Now, I will generally get the battery to 5%ish before plugging it in, after about 5-6 hours the phone will be at around 86% sometimes more, sometimes less. Is this a problem with the battery, charger, or the phone itself?
That's not normal and I'll bet it's a setting in your phone or the battery.

killakiz

So I updated my Galaxy Nexus to Jelly Bean without realizing that it would wipe all my pictures. Does anyone know how I could recover my pictures/videos? The Galaxy Nexus uses MTP which all of the traditional FAT file recovery software doesn't support. I just came back from vacation and lost all of the photos I took.

3phemeral

So I updated my Galaxy Nexus to Jelly Bean without realizing that it would wipe all my pictures. Does anyone know how I could recover my pictures/videos? The Galaxy Nexus uses MTP which all of the traditional FAT file recovery software doesn't support. I just came back from vacation and lost all of the photos I took.

Don't think you can. That's strange, though. Whenever I flash, my pictures stay on the dcim/camera folder, regardless of how many times I've wiped. So long as it's in the storage/sdcard folder, it should have been untouched.

I've had other pictures seemingly disappear, but I found they were still there when I used quickpic to scan my sdcard and then selected "show hidden" from the menu. For some reason, they were marked as invisible. I backed them up elsewhere as I just-in-case thing, but they're still there even now after flashing multiple roms.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone have a good recommendation for a app switcher? What with the touch sensitivity bug related to the stock one, I'd like to see if I can get along without it.

I'm on T-Mobile, and I haven't updated my phone in almost two years. Should I wait for the next Nexus phone(s), or should I get a G-Nex now? And for a very speculative question, do you think Google will try to keep the prices affordable for the next Nexus phones? I remember the GN was about $700 for a GSM version, but I also realize the phone wasn't available in the USA, outside the Verizon variant.

gcubed

I'd expect the galaxy nexus to drop lower and stay around as the budget alternative. New nexus phones are going to be ~450-500 unlocked on release

I love this phone, but man coming from a iPhone everything sound wise SUCKS

Ear Speaker rattles and clicks at max volume, which isn't loud at all.

Stock rom volume is too low, and and I don't know enough about nightlies and rom flashes yet, nor do I want features that just don't work on custom rims to improve volume.

Sound Quality is terrible, specifically on the lower end. It's like there's some sort of built in compression that kills low frequency response and gives you this almost fm stereo quality.

The mic isn't up to par either, I recorded a clip of sound and the distortion was horrible at moderate distance. How you make a phone this awesome yet skimp out on sound quality and sufficient volume is beyond me.

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on the phone pretty hard but with exception to build quality and sound issues its the best phone I've ever owned. With all that said. Are there any solutions for these issues that don't require root and flashing a custom rom?

Cudder

Stock rom volume is too low, and and I don't know enough about nightlies and rom flashes yet, nor do I want features that just don't work on custom rims to improve volume.

Sound Quality is terrible, specifically on the lower end. It's like there's some sort of built in compression that kills low frequency response and gives you this almost fm stereo quality.

The mic isn't up to par either, I recorded a clip of sound and the distortion was horrible at moderate distance. How you make a phone this awesome yet skimp out on sound quality and sufficient volume is beyond me.

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on the phone pretty hard but with exception to build quality and sound issues its the best phone I've ever owned. With all that said. Are there any solutions for these issues that don't require root and flashing a custom rom?

Honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I use PowerAMP for my music and everything is awesome and loud, and can get LOUDER with the built in EQ.

Please don't tell me you're trying to listen to anything through the built-in speaker. The built-in speaker is pretty bad, but that's what the headphone jack is for!

As to build quality comparisons, drop an iPhone from a height of 6 feet onto concrete, and then drop a Galaxy Nexus. Guess which phone will shatter, and which one will be probably a bit scratched but still work like nothing happened to it?

womp

This is why I just want the goddamn official 4.1 to be released already for Verizon.

Thing is, even it if was, at this point I still wouldn't use it. Too many awesome mods on these JB ROMs here that I would miss.

Verizon can kiss my ass. After being with them for over 12 years of cell service (My first cell was a Nokia candy bar), I'm most likely going to be ditching them when my plan is up and heading to T-Mobile and a new unlocked Nexus.

reKon

Banned
This is why I just want the goddamn official 4.1 to be released already for Verizon.

There are must have mods in these ROMs. I need to be able to switch music tracks with the volume rocker. I also love being able to set custom leds for apps without having to use light flow (in AOKP).

Things like this, having power widgets on the notification bar, being able to create custom lock screen targets and display weather on there are make custom ROMs way better than stock. It's just as stable too and functionally superior to most stock/skinned android and to anything in iOS 6

thespot84

Hm, jelly belly isn't listed as having cdma/lte support. Can anyone confirm it's toro only? Works on my VZW gnex

EDIT: Wow, apparently there are two Jelly Belly ROMs. Well i botched that.

There are must have mods in these ROMs. I need to be able to switch music tracks with the volume rocker. I also love being able to set custom leds for apps without having to use light flow (in AOKP).

Things like this, having power widgets on the notification bar, being able to create custom lock screen targets and display weather on there are make custom ROMs way better than stock. It's just as stable too and functionally superior to most stock/skinned android and to anything in iOS 6

Which ROM do you use?

gutshot

Well they said end of August... they didn't specify if they meant test build or final.

I'm just glad that things seem to be happening. I don't mind waiting if I know that an update is imminent. Hopefully we are only a month or so away from an official OTA push.

womp

Right now I'm trying out aokp. Before then I was using Xenon HD. They've been both great, but aokp is missing the ability to switch tracks when the screen is off using the volume rocker so that sucks for now.

I wasn't a big fan of what AOKP has out right now, it didn't feel right for me. I was a Xenon HD fan for a while but Codename Android is kicking ass for me for the past few weeks. Love it. :)

kinggroin

Banned
Please don't tell me you're trying to listen to anything through the built-in speaker. The built-in speaker is pretty bad, but that's what the headphone jack is for!

As to build quality comparisons, drop an iPhone from a height of 6 feet onto concrete, and then drop a Galaxy Nexus. Guess which phone will shatter, and which one will be probably a bit scratched but still work like nothing happened to it?

6 ft? Pshh, try 4 stories....and it still worked.

True story

Piano

Banned
So is Codename Android the best ROM out there these days? I'm thinking of jumping over from XenonHD, but I'll probably wait until the radios / components from the official update are rolled in over the next few weeks.

kinggroin

Banned
So is Codename Android the best ROM out there these days? I'm thinking of jumping over from XenonHD, but I'll probably wait until the radios / components from the official update are rolled in over the next few weeks.

CNA is great so long as you don't run into the 700mhz bug.

Even if you do, using a third party CPU overclocking app, will fix it.

I wanted to try out Google Wallet but I get this on the play store

RQDqjl.png

But it should be compatible with any approved device running 4.0.2 or above

YqA1pl.png

Do I have to download the APK directly?

womp

Why isn't it listed in their features on XDA and on the spreadsheet then damn it. Going to install now I guess.

EDIT: goo is a piece of shit. It's ALWAYS DOWN

Dunno, don't care LOL...trust me, it is one of my ultimate favorite mods and it has been in there for the past 2-3 versions of the ROM. It's a fantastic feature and makes Light Flow obsolete. :)

Welp, I dirty-flashed directly from my stock rooted 4.0.4 to the new 4.1.1 AOSP "official" Verizon image which has been making the rounds all day. And, well, it works. It's build JRO030. It's Jelly Bean. It's 100% pure stock, except with root of course. I feel like a maiden in love for the first time.

6 ft? Pshh, try 4 stories....and it still worked.

True story

I actually want to read this story. Can you take a picture of the surviving phone? I want to see it!

gutshot

I wanted to try out Google Wallet but I get this on the play store

http://i.imgur.com/RQDqjl.png

But it should be compatible with any approved device running 4.0.2 or above

http://i.imgur.com/YqA1pl.png

Do I have to download the APK directly?

You're on Verizon, I presume? They've blocked it from being available in the Play Store. You can still get it by downloading the APK directly though.

ETA: Here is the APK: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11307886/Wallet.apk

womp

I was using XenonHD before jumping to Codename almost a month ago. Do it, it's fantastic.

As for the radios? You can do that any time. It has nothing to do with the ROM or flashing a ROM and is totally separate. Once again - do *that* too. There is absolutely no reason not to flash the new radios, I'm already seeing a nice little improvement in terms of the 3G/4G hand off.

snacknuts

we all knew her

The only JB ROMs I have any experience with are Jelly Belly, which I ran for about three weeks before getting tired of updating it every couple of days, and Bugless Beast, which I have been very happily running for well over a month. If you want an almost entirely stock experience with no real bells and whistles (apart from Google Wallet being pre-loaded in the Toro build, and Chrome installed as the stock browser), it's worth looking at. I have been very impressed by how stable it is. Before I had to swap batteries yesterday afternoon, I had been running it without having to reset for 11 days.

reKon

Banned
I ran into the 700mhz first time I installed codename. Now this time, I just flash franco's milestone 5 and everything is running well. Codename pretty much features all the customization you need and has been running as smooth as Xenon HD was. I just wish for the weather they didn't use CM 10's graphics but rather Xenon/AOKP's. Also, there's a lack of the torch toggle...wtf is with that? Is it because it's still buggy on jellybean?

thespot84

The only JB ROMs I have any experience with are Jelly Belly, which I ran for about three weeks before getting tired of updating it every couple of days, and Bugless Beast, which I have been very happily running for well over a month. If you want an almost entirely stock experience with no real bells and whistles (apart from Google Wallet being pre-loaded in the Toro build, and Chrome installed as the stock browser), it's worth looking at. I have been very impressed by how stable it is. Before I had to swap batteries yesterday afternoon, I had been running it without having to reset for 11 days.

I ran peter alfonso (bugless beast) ROMs for a good year on my OG Droid, and have ben tempted to switch except the jelly belly updates have slowed down and it's been very stable. Based on that I would recommend either.

lunchtoast

I ran into the 700mhz first time I installed codename. Now this time, I just flash franco's milestone 5 and everything is running well. Codename pretty much features all the customization you need and has been running as smooth as Xenon HD was. I just wish for the weather they didn't use CM 10's graphics but rather Xenon/AOKP's. Also, there's a lack of the torch toggle...wtf is with that? Is it because it's still buggy on jellybean?

The torch toggle worked fine on Xenon, so who knows.

Top Bottom