• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have a slowly dying G1(with extended battery pack, so it's like a dying brick) and I'm on a T-mo value plan... I really like the G1 keyboard, so I'm thinking about springing for the Galaxy Relay 4G(something like that) they they brought out recently since it's powerful and has a physical keyboard.

The Relay seems to be shipping with ICS... I don't know how quickly it'll get JB(or if at all), I'm kinda of new to these things.

The Nexus costs the same amount MSRP and would have JB, although I think the Relay has slightly better internals.

Should I go with the Relay or the Nexus? Or wait for next-Nexus?

Galaxy Nexus is a fantastic value if you're going unlocked, only $350 and works with all GSM carriers worldwide (including T-Mo.) I'd get it, the next Nexus might have better specs but it might be twice the price, and the GN will still get OS updates quickly (if you don't get the 4G version...) well into the next year at least.

Ah, you're right. That changes my outlook a bit, although I'm still at an impasse. Do you think there will be any better physical keyboard offerings than the Relay in the future or is it just going to get worse from here?

The GNex working with any carrier is a plus, although I don't see myself leaving T-mo soon. Trading 4G for fast updates may be a plus because I'm not all that interested in forking over the extra money for the 4G plans...

Futureman

Jelly Bean finally rolling out to VZW G-Nex!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3367728/verizon-android-jelly-bean-galaxy-nexus-update

T7smA.gif

DANCE PARTY.

Nice. Can't wait to try out Now and see if the Butter stuff is actually noticeable.

kehs

Banned
Ah, you're right. That changes my outlook a bit, although I'm still at an impasse. Do you think there will be any better physical keyboard offerings than the Relay in the future or is it just going to get worse from here?

Matias threw around the idea of doing wanting to do a keyboard phone, so there's like a 2% chance the next nexus will have a keyboard offering.

Mrcapcom

Gonna return to stock and see if it helps me with my radio issues if not its cool it will be ready and locked to go back to VZ for a replacement

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Installing on my phone now. Update is via WiFi only until October 1st, so make sure youre on a WiFi network when you try to get the update.

Also, if its not showing up:

Settings>Apps>All
find Google Services Framework
force stop
clear data
back out and look for updates again

Takes a few tries to make it work, but its how I got it. I have a Nexus 7, but im still stoked on this, living in NYC, have Google Now makes a big difference for commuting.

Mrcapcom

Still not getting it here in philly hmm I just did a factory reset and ill sign in on my google account but not sync anything see if that makes a difference, I doubt it.

gutshot

Still not getting it here in philly hmm I just did a factory reset and ill sign in on my google account but not sync anything see if that makes a difference, I doubt it.

I'm in the Philly area as well and haven't received it yet. Is it rolled out by region? I even tried the Google Services trick about a dozen times and no luck. I'm with Coppy on this one, that most likely does nothing. You could probably get the same effect just spamming Check Now.

thespot84

can someone who has it post a screenshot of the system info? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going back to stock from Jelly Belly (which was always really just a stock ROM)

Mrcapcom

I'm in the Philly area as well and haven't received it yet. Is it rolled out by region? I even tried the Google Services trick about a dozen times and no luck. I'm with Coppy on this one, that most likely does nothing. You could probably get the same effect just spamming Check Now.

Yea nothing guy above me before is from NYC so figured it shouldn't be a regional thing. Maybe its my crap wireless but its w/e I completely restored to stock and it seems like im still having this stupid radio issue. Hit me up on Gtalk Gutshot I wanna ask you a question

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I got 4.0.4 on like the second day because of the Google Services trick. I had been spamming Check Now all day, but clearing that was the only thing that made it pop up.

gutshot

I got 4.0.4 on like the second day because of the Google Services trick. I had been spamming Check Now all day, but clearing that was the only thing that made it pop up.

Ok, I guess I'll just mix up spamming Check now and trying the Google Services trick every once in a while.

Getting the update the Google Framework thing works! yay brb updating

*shakes fist* It took me forever to get 4.0.4. I'm going to be one of the last ones again, aren't I?

Mrcapcom

Like you said spam the google framework thing and check now thats what I did eventually it came up and you will know the feeling I felt when it did pop up lol

Futureman

wifi only is confirmed? didn't see that mentioned anywhere except the duder's post above. No wifi at work, oh well maybe at home later.

Mrcapcom

wifi only is confirmed? didn't see that mentioned anywhere except the duder's post above. No wifi at work, oh well maybe at home later.

Yes you HAVE to be on wifi for this to work. I'm still having issues with my data calling verizon for a replacement >_> JB Official is super fast though btw

Sky Chief

Installing on my phone now. Update is via WiFi only until October 1st, so make sure youre on a WiFi network when you try to get the update.

Settings>Apps>All
force stop
clear data

Takes a few tries to make it work, but its how I got it. I have a Nexus 7, but im still stoked on this, living in NYC, have Google Now makes a big difference for commuting.

Ugh, I have tried this about 50 times now and no luck :(

gutshot

So what's the point of a gradual roll-out if you are requiring Wi-Fi access to download? Couldn't they just blast the update notice to everyone at once and not have to worry about any additional network strain?

Mrcapcom

WiFI only thing (which I have never seen before) is only till Oct 1st then you can do it over the air like usually. I think its because of the iphone 5 activations they don't want the network getting hammered

Sky Chief

Settings>Apps>All
force stop
clear data

Ffffuuuuuu! I have tried this now over 100 times and nothing.

gutshot

Ffffuuuuuu! I have tried this now over 100 times and nothing.

I haven't tried it that many times but I've tried it a lot and still no Jelly Bean. I'm convinced that, for those who've had it work, it was pure coincidence. Also, I stopped getting emails when I started doing it and just now got 8 emails all of a sudden. So I won't be doing it anymore. Just have to hope I get lucky soon, I guess.

Sky Chief

I haven't tried it that many times but I've tried it a lot and still no Jelly Bean. I'm convinced that, for those who've had it work, it was pure coincidence. Also, I stopped getting emails when I started doing it and just now got 8 emails all of a sudden. So I won't be doing it anymore. Just have to hope I get lucky soon, I guess.

I had the same email thing and I agree it's completely coincidental

Piano

Banned
Switched over to Codename Android 3.5 yesterday

It's awesome, except for one issue...
No matter what pulse/sustain options I set for the notification light in the ROM settings it blinks quickly, almost strobe quick. It uses the colors I've assigned for various notifications but ignores my timing preferences. I've tried switching it up several times and tried different sorts of notifications. When I test it does exactly what I ask. When I actually get a text / missed call it just blinks quickly.

Anyone have any ideas? Or will I be resorting to LightFlow after all?

It was one of the primary reasons for switching to CNA :(

womp

Switched over to Codename Android 3.5 yesterday

It's awesome, except for one issue...
No matter what pulse/sustain options I set for the notification light in the ROM settings it blinks quickly, almost strobe quick. It uses the colors I've assigned for various notifications but ignores my timing preferences. I've tried switching it up several times and tried different sorts of notifications. When I test it does exactly what I ask. When I actually get a text / missed call it just blinks quickly.

Anyone have any ideas? Or will I be resorting to LightFlow after all?

It was one of the primary reasons for switching to CNA :(

Weird...the notification options are one of my favorite parts of CNA and they work fine for me here. I don't have that problem. :|

Did you wipe data/cache and dalvik before installing it?

kehs

Banned
so ugh whatever happened to Google having to remove universal search from the Nexus? I assume it's there and alive in the JB rollout?

Pretty sure they did a software fix/update when it came up, but the trial isn't for like another two years.

The universal search is still alive and kicking on Nexus as far as I know.

Cudder

Whenever I use a 3rd party keyboard I get a notification that just displays what keyboard I'm using, any way to disable that? So pointless and distracting. :\

Man, I love the google voice thing.
Is there anyway to make that voice talk some more though?
I love making it define and explain things, but he always cuts short.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good dictation app?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, I love the google voice thing.
Is there anyway to make that voice talk some more though?
I love making it define and explain things, but he always cuts short.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good dictation app?

The stock keyboard has great dictation, in my experience. Plus the type while you talk is great.

I'm presuming the same 'clear google services framework' or whatever it was called trick won't work for Verizon handsets? It's how I forced the Jellybean GSM update.

Top Bottom