• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

thaivo

I'm presuming the same 'clear google services framework' or whatever it was called trick won't work for Verizon handsets? It's how I forced the Jellybean GSM update.

Nope works on Verizon. I did it about 10 times and then the update just popped up. Jellybean so far is very sweet. Love the smoothness of project butter

3phemeral

Might be a placebo affect, but I just flashed the official Verizon JB and man, it feels sooo much more jelly than the leaked OTA. Super snappy. I'm just too afraid to go back to other ROMs unless it's based on this version. :-/ I don't know if I have the 700mhz bug, but I've been using my phone a lot for school so I really don't want to tinker with anything non AOSP until I have some downtime since it's been perfectly stable.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm presuming the same 'clear google services framework' or whatever it was called trick won't work for Verizon handsets? It's how I forced the Jellybean GSM update.

Oho I did it and it totally worked for me. I did clear data then force stop then check for updates 10 times, and nothing. But then I tried it without the force stop step, and bingo bango. Downloading as we speak aw yiss.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Screenshot_2012-09-23-05-32-15.png

Took about 10 tries since yesterday but it's happening! (Yes, it was the clear Google Services method that did it.)

kehs

Banned
Screenshot_2012-09-23-05-32-15.png

Took about 10 tries since yesterday but it's happening! (Yes, it was the clear Google Services method that did it.)

Its pretty lame that's the extent of the change log for otas.

They should include a small walkthrough after first boot.

womp

Today must be the day...My wife and sister got it on their GNex's at the same time. No tricks involved, just popped up on its own.

Cipherr

Its nice to see it going out to the Non GSM Nexus owners, but this is some sad sad shit. Seriously.

Welcome to the fold though. Google now will be creeping you out in a couple weeks after it learns where you work/live/grocery shop/exercise and whatnot.

Futureman

No orientation lock on the notification shade? Is that only Nexus 7?? THE HELL.

and why can't you double tap a word in a Chrome textbox (like the reply box on mobile GAF) and replace it with different words?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully this includes the new open CDMA stack, so updates will be a bit more in line with the GSM version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I got another update from Bell. Is this one worth updating to or is it just shit like4.02.

What's the version number? 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 both had some pretty great minor enhancements.

If it's 4.1, then, well, yeah. Jelly Bean. :p

Futureman

hmmm. I actually think I'll be using Google Voice Search A LOT. Didn't think I would but damn is it fast and accurate. Thank you based-Apple for introducing Siri and lighting a fire under Goog's ass.

Butter is definitely noticeable and I'm really liking the new animations for apps opening and closing.

are only certain types of notifications expandable? I got a Google Voice text and it was longer than what could be shown in the notification, but I wasn't able to expand it.

kehs

Banned
hmmm. I actually think I'll be using Google Voice Search A LOT. Didn't think I would but damn is it fast and accurate. Thank you based-Apple for introducing Siri and lighting a fire under Goog's ass.

Butter is definitely noticeable and I'm really liking the new animations for apps opening and closing.

are only certain types of notifications expandable? I got a Google Voice text and it was longer than what could be shown in the notification, but I wasn't able to expand it.

Apps have to update them for JB support.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And also, if it can be expanded, you can use two fingers ("stretch" gesture) to expand it if it's not the top notification.

womp

Voice search is nothing new and has been around for years on Android phones. The Google Now stuff is basically providing a pretty UI for it but yes, it is has always been pretty fast and accurate.

As for animations, I basically shut them off...All they do is waste my time. I hate fluff. :)

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh shit its jelly bean. This is the most baller update I got for any electronic, this OS is off the hook. I didn't think my Galaxy Nexus could get any better but daaaaammmnnn.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've done some comparisons and thanks to Project Butter, even with the animations, things tend to appear faster than in ICS.

Futureman

Voice search is nothing new and has been around for years on Android phones. The Google Now stuff is basically providing a pretty UI for it but yes, it is has always been pretty fast and accurate.

As for animations, I basically shut them off...All they do is waste my time. I hate fluff. :)

hmmm good call. Messing around though, I think I like putting all the transitions at .5x.

and the fancy UI is definitely part of the reason I like the search now. Before, to get to the answer of your question you would sometimes have to click through to a link in the search results.

should I turn on "force GPU rendering"??

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh shit its jelly bean. This is the most baller update I got for any electronic, this OS is off the hook. I didn't think my Galaxy Nexus could get any better but daaaaammmnnn.

I've had it on my Nexus 7 for weeks and it's still blowing me away having it on my GN. Google Now is actually useful! And I absolutely love the animations in the camera app (although it seems swipe to delete is gone?!)

And the homescreen fricking flies. Amazing amazing amazing! Even the Facebook app has become bearable with this update!

kehs

Banned
I've had it on my Nexus 7 for weeks and it's still blowing me away having it on my GN. Google Now is actually useful! And I absolutely love the animations in the camera app (although it seems swipe to delete is gone?!)

And the homescreen fricking flies. Amazing amazing amazing! Even the Facebook app has become bearable with this update!

Pinch out, then swipe up to delete.

chizmiz

Banned
I've had my G Nexus for more than 9 months now... and it's not even that I want to upgrade necessarily, but I feel the need to look forward to something new, yet it's not there. People are barely getting 4.1 but it's already old news. I want a new version of android, or a new Nexus phone to dream about.

womp

hmmm good call. Messing around though, I think I like putting all the transitions at .5x.

and the fancy UI is definitely part of the reason I like the search now. Before, to get to the answer of your question you would sometimes have to click through to a link in the search results.

should I turn on "force GPU rendering"??

I don't bother, doesn't seem to do anything from what I can tell and in some cases can mess up certain apps...Although I haven't found any that do so far.

Agreed on the UI, I love it...Use it much more. Much more defined.

Cudder

I've had my G Nexus for more than 9 months now... and it's not even that I want to upgrade necessarily, but I feel the need to look forward to something new, yet it's not there. People are barely getting 4.1 but it's already old news. I want a new version of android, or a new Nexus phone to dream about.

Crazy talk. This is the first time where I can say I'm 100% satisfied with a phone. I don't feel a need to upgrade at all. Maybe next years Nexus.

chizmiz

Banned
Crazy talk. This is the first time where I can say I'm 100% satisfied with a phone. I don't feel a need to upgrade at all. Maybe next years Nexus.

That's half my point, there is nothing I would like to upgrade to, and it has been 9 months like that. I'm satisfied, but I don't dream about something new. I really don't know what they will do for an end of the year Nexus, maybe they'll finally focus on getting the best hardware possible.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't bother, doesn't seem to do anything from what I can tell and in some cases can mess up certain apps...Although I haven't found any that do so far.

Agreed on the UI, I love it...Use it much more. Much more defined.

Apps not written for ICS or JB can see a massive increase in performance with HA forced on. Like for instance, the Steam app scrolls at 20-30fps without it, but a locked 60fps with it. Same for Netflix and HBO Go. You have to kill the app before changes take effect.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This update is so fricking good omg.

Really all that's left is to focus on great battery life.

Indeed, but that's a hardware problem mostly. GPU acceleration and dynamic CPU clockspeed can only go so far.

Unfortunately, battery life is the big loser when manufacturers try to one-up eachother on thinness, processing speed, and fast network transmissions.

gcubed

This update is so fricking good omg.

Indeed, but that's a hardware problem mostly. GPU acceleration and dynamic CPU clockspeed can only go so far.

Unfortunately, battery life is the big loser when manufacturers try to one-up eachother on thinness, processing speed, and fast network transmissions.

thinness is overrated. Processor speed and battery life is going to be fine with the A15's and moving to Voice over LTE and/or integrated LTE radios should help the radio drain. I want a MAXX Nexus. I'm happy without a removable battery if it can get me that much life.

M_A_C

That's half my point, there is nothing I would like to upgrade to, and it has been 9 months like that. I'm satisfied, but I don't dream about something new. I really don't know what they will do for an end of the year Nexus, maybe they'll finally focus on getting the best hardware possible.

Is it a certainty that there will be an end of the year Nexus? If so when will we learn anything about it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
thinness is overrated. Processor speed and battery life is going to be fine with the A15's and moving to Voice over LTE and/or integrated LTE radios should help the radio drain. I want a MAXX Nexus. I'm happy without a removable battery if it can get me that much life.

Agreed there.

gcubed

Agreed there.

Its clear the best optimization comes on the Nexus devices as well, so you have a "somewhat" apple type of situation (no where near the degree) where you dont need to be the biggest and baddest, you just need the optimizations. JB on the Nexus is quite possibly one of the best experiences i've had on a phone (including an iphone 4s, havent used a 5)

I'm tired of needing to be near an outlet twice a day. I want a large non-removable battery so i don't have to have an ugly ass huge battery to make it go 24 hours.

thespot84

Am getting annoyed with stock messages not supporting group messages. What do people use, go SMS, hand cent, Verizon messages?

It's a complete shitshow honestly. I started using gosms because I thought it supported group messages from iPhone users (can't figure that out, doesn't seem to work). I use google voice to sms when I'm lazy and sitting in front of my desktop. I have friends that like to use google talk and I'm constantly signed in. Something truly unified and platform independent might be the greatest killer app since the web itself.

Sky Chief

I finally got my JB update. However, I unlocked and rooted my phone using the Nexus Toolkit and when installing the following comes up:

ClockworkMod Recovery v5.8.0.2
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Help please!

EDIT: I've disabled the signature verification in ClockworkMod and it doesn't make any difference, still get the same error

Top Bottom