• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I finally got my JB update. However, I unlocked and rooted my phone using the Nexus Toolkit and when installing the following comes up:

ClockworkMod Recovery v5.8.0.2
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Help please!
Verizon phone?

Use Galaxy Nexus Toolkit to go back to stock 4.0.4.

Download IMM76K from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

When you use the Toolkit, you want the "Download, Extract + Flash Google Factory Stock Rom" option. You can just put the file you got from the above link into the folder it tells you to.

This will completely erase your phone, by the way.

All of a sudden my phone won't do the CRT off animation. I even restarted it and still doesn't do it. What's going on.

Edit: whoops it was because I set the window animation to .5

krzy123

I must say the JB update was awesome, fixed everything on the phone outside of battery life. Haven't used Google now much, but it did ping me yesterday. I had an event on my calender for 10am, it auto-notified me at 9:20, that at current traffic conditions if I left at 9:46 i would arrive at the event at 10am.

Averaging at 20Mb/s up and 10 Mb/s down on LTE at home (4th floor apt), with zero drops. 4G to 3G transitions are seamless.

gutshot

I finally got JB! Read on Droid-Life that people were having success with the Google Services trick by clearing data first and then doing a force stop. After doing it the other way about 30 times, that worked on the first try. It could still just be a coincidence though.

Pulled the trigger. First Nexus phone since the One - bad timing made me skip the S. Anyway, I know it is late in the cycle for this Nexus, but there have been no rumblings of the new one - and if there is, I can offload this one and just pay the difference or something if the next one is mindblowing.

Either way, it is a good step up from my LG G2X. I love the software and feel of the phone and I'm just barely getting to play around with it. Google Now looks to be a godsend and amazingly useful especially since my work location just got moved and I'm not used to that traffic or anything. Loves that it automatically picks up the route for the traffic from my calendar. Got the JB update too right after I initially put in my SIM card from the old phone.

On a bad note, there is a line of stuck pixels in magenta running about 2 pixels from the right edge of the phone vertically through the entire display. Goes away on dark backgrounds, but on colors and lighter backgrounds, it is visible.

Called Google who took the initial info then they handed me off to Samsung. Samsung stated their records showed the IMEI was purchased in May of this year rather than September. So now they're forcing me to file a warranty dispute and fax... FAX! in a receipt to prove I bought it last week and had it delivered today. Pissed that I have to take time out to get to a fucking fax machine over something not my fault then pay to send them proof of purchase when I'm sure the Google rep could have told them when I was on hold for like 10min total. This to do an advanced return or whatever so I won't be phone-less for the probably weeks of processing time.

thespot84

the 'nexus <SCREEN SIZE>' naming convention isn't scalable, why name the next phone after it? What's the next 5" phone gonna be? The Nexus 5.0? The nexus 5-2? The Nexus (1/2)*10? then (1/4)*20? The android naming convention is brilliant because it's super easy to remember and unique.

elsk

Banned
5 inches screen is way too much :/
You guys think Google will drop the price of the Galaxy Nexus (even more) when they release the new one?

gcubed

the 'nexus <SCREEN SIZE>' naming convention isn't scalable, why name the next phone after it? What's the next 5" phone gonna be? The Nexus 5.0? The nexus 5-2? The Nexus (1/2)*10? then (1/4)*20? The android naming convention is brilliant because it's super easy to remember and unique.

The New Nexus 5

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
The HTC Nexus 5 sounds awesome but I might be too big. I consider the Galaxy Nexus the upper limits on size. Any bigger and it is a no go...if somehow they get the size the same with a thinner bezel then it will be my next phone.

Alright so I've decided that on my upcoming trip I'm going to try and live with my Nexus instead of iPhone for a while. On that note, and I may have asked this before but I forget the answer, is there anyway to upload more than 20,000 of my own songs to Google Music? Or is there another good service for this?

Futureman

Alright so I've decided that on my upcoming trip I'm going to try and live with my Nexus instead of iPhone for a while. On that note, and I may have asked this before but I forget the answer, is there anyway to upload more than 20,000 of my own songs to Google Music? Or is there another good service for this?

don't think any service offers more than 20,000 for free. You can have more than 20k if you pay on any of them pretty much.

have you heard of subsonic? http://www.subsonic.org

don't think any service offers more than 20,000 for free. You can have more than 20k if you pay on any of them pretty much.

Subsonic looks interesting, but I don't want to stream the songs myself I'd rather store them in someone else's cloud even if I have to pay for it. As for other services, what are the popular ones? Is it just Amazon and Google?

Edit:

Just saw that Amazon Cloud Player Premium allows 250,000 imported songs for $25 a year. That seems like a pretty good deal. Is the app itself any good?

womp

You are a good man for recommending this. I have used it for 2 years now and it is fantastic. For some reason people don't want to give it any attention.

I strictly use Google Music as a offsite hard drive backup to my Subsonic. Plus, Subsonic can even do video on your Android device thanks to Flash.

Hey I finally got one of these ($30 on Target.com with contract extension). First smartphone too. What's a good case for it? I work a fairly physical job, and I'm a little worried about what so much bending down will do while the phone is in my pocket, so something sturdy would help a lot.

If you want sturdy then I hear the Otterbox Defender or a Ballistics case is what you want. I can't say for sure though because I don't have a case on mine.

gcubed

You are a good man for recommending this. I have used it for 2 years now and it is fantastic. For some reason people don't want to give it any attention.

I strictly use Google Music as a offsite hard drive backup to my Subsonic. Plus, Subsonic can even do video on your Android device thanks to Flash.

i used it years ago but having to keep your home PC on is the deal breaker on these types of things.

womp

i used it years ago but having to keep your home PC on is the deal breaker on these types of things.

Definitely understandable. Luckily my wife's old 2004 laptop still works so I plugged a 500GB external drive into it and I just leave that on 24/7 with the screen off in our den.

It is free, allows you more control, the ability to share with friends and family who can create their own playlists, and the fact you can stream video off it into a browser running Flash is a huge perk as well. For anyone with an old PC sitting around collecting dust, it gives it some good usage.

Cudder

Same as last year, most of the rumors for the GN were about it's name.

"Nexus 3? Nexus Prime? Nexus Rainbow?!"

I thought there were a lot of manufacturer rumours and hardware rumours if I remember correctly.

Still, lots of time for that stuff to leak this year still. :)

VPhys

Finally got jellybean installed and its sooo much faster. This is how the nexus should have performed from the start. I was only hoping at the small chance swype would be included, even though there were reports saying so.

VPhys

I spoke too soon, it looks like Verizon broke the Foxfi app to stop working for wifi tethering after updating to jelly bean.

Back to Ice Cream Sandwich for me.

elsk

Banned
I thought there were a lot of manufacturer rumours and hardware rumours if I remember correctly.

Still, lots of time for that stuff to leak this year still. :)

The rumors are saying there will be multiple Nexus devices this time, right? Sounds interesting! I'm hoping they'll have something in the price range of the current Galaxy Nexus.

elsk

Banned
I think I now understand how old people feel when introduced to computers.

KuGsj.gif

SUPREME1

Banned
I was browsing phones at the Sprint store, mainly focusing on the GNexus, the Evo LTE and the S3 (I am set to upgrade in December).

I've been leaning towards either the Evo LTE (I like HTC, the screen, the white/aluminum case and think Beats is a solid feature) or the GNexus (I can get it for $50, would like vanilla Android and be assured the next version of Android relatively fast).

I asked the tech what phone she would prefer and she said the S3. I asked why and she said because of the removable battery. She said it was good because you can always buy a spare in case it runs low. I told her that wouldn't be a problem as I'd have a charger for home/work/car... and that I just wouldn't like carrying around an extra battery.

Then she said something I'd never thought of as a problem before with either the GNexus or the Evo LTE... She said you could not do a battery pull if you had to. She asked what will I do if the phone freezes at night? I never thought of that. Made sense as I've been doing battery pulls for years now starting with the BB Storm and now with my Evo Shift. She said I'd have to come into the store to get it done.

Is this really an issue? Do either of these phones have an issue with freezing up? Would I really have to go into the store to get it reset? Is the battery really not removeable at all by the user? I mean, they'd be doing it in the store so why can't I do it at home (I'm sure I have the right tools)?

I really thought I'd narrowed my choise between the GNexus and the EvoLTE, but this really got me thinking and now I need to find out if this really would be an issue.

Help.

Has anyone had issues with having to do battery pulsl on teh Nexus or the Evo? Or heard or read about this issue?

If so, pls share what you know.

Thanks!

3phemeral

I was browsing phones at the Sprint store, mainly focusing on the GNexus, the Evo LTE and the S3 (I am set to upgrade in December).

I've been leaning towards either the Evo LTE (I like HTC, the screen, the white/aluminum case and think Beats is a solid feature) or the GNexus (I can get it for $50, would like vanilla Android and be assured the next version of Android relatively fast).

I asked the tech what phone she would prefer and she said the S3. I asked why and she said because of the removable battery. She said it was good because you can always buy a spare in case it runs low. I told her that wouldn't be a problem as I'd have a charger for home/work/car... and that I just wouldn't like carrying around an extra battery.

Then she said something I'd never thought of as a problem before with either the GNexus or the Evo LTE... She said you could not do a battery pull if you had to. She asked what will I do if the phone freezes at night? I never thought of that. Made sense as I've been doing battery pulls for years now starting with the BB Storm and now with my Evo Shift. She said I'd have to come into the store to get it done.

Is this really an issue? Do either of these phones have an issue with freezing up? Would I really have to go into the store to get it reset? Is the battery really not removeable at all by the user? I mean, they'd be doing it in the store so why can't I do it at home (I'm sure I have the right tools)?

I really thought I'd narrowed my choise between the GNexus and the EvoLTE, but this really got me thinking and now I need to find out if this really would be an issue.

Help.

Has anyone had issues with having to do battery pulsl on teh Nexus or the Evo? Or heard or read about this issue?

If so, pls share what you know.

Thanks!

I don't really understand this removable-battery thing. Is the S3 different when it comes to removable battery? Because the GNex has a removable battery too.

As for experiencing freezing, I only experienced those after I started flashing ROMs. That's when I had to do battery pulls because the long-press on the power button didn't work.

zedge

I don't think I have ever had to pull my battery, except back with my S2 when I was flashing a ROM and ran into issues. Also the Gnex has a removable battery, this chick has no idea what she is talking about.

I don't think I have ever had to pull my battery, except back with my S2 when I was flashing a ROM and ran into issues. Also the Gnex has a removable battery, this chick has no idea what she is talking about.
Chick is obviously trying to sell him the more expensive S3.

Husker86

Can't you just reset phones with button combos if they don't have removable batteries? Seems like a weird reason to prefer removable batteries.

Top Bottom