• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gutshot

I'm guessing they get much more profit(?) from selling the S3 than a Galaxy Nexus.

Not necessarily. The mobile providers make their money by getting people into long, pricey contracts, not through selling expensive phones. In fact, they take a loss on the sale, knowing they will make it up through the length of the contract. Maybe the salesperson works off of commission and makes more if the OP buys the S3?

Either way, the Nexus has a removable battery. I know because I've had to remove it a couple times to get the phone to turn back on after a sudden shutdown and it wouldn't respond to pressing the power button.

elsk

Banned
How big of a problem the viruses are in Android Jelly Bean? I'm going to be honest, I pirated most of the paid apps I had on the iPhone (except for the ones where I had to enter my gmail/facebook login info).

In iPhone the apps have very limited to none access outside of the app itself, so they can't really infect the whole phone, and I wanted to know how much of a risk is installing cracked apps in Jelly Bean? Is there a 'pseudo-secure' site for downloading those apps on Android like certain apptracker on iPhone?

giga

How big of a problem the viruses are in Android Jelly Bean? I'm going to be honest, I pirated most of the paid apps I had on the iPhone (except for the ones where I had to enter my gmail/facebook login info).

In iPhone the apps have very limited to none access outside of the app itself, so they can't really infect the whole phone, and I wanted to know how much of a risk is installing cracked apps in Jelly Bean? Is there a 'pseudo-secure' site for downloading cracked apps on Android like certain apptracker on iPhone?

hY7V+

In iPhone the apps have very limited to none access outside of the app itself, so they can't really infect the whole phone, and I wanted to know how much of a risk is installing cracked apps in Jelly Bean? Is there a 'pseudo-secure' site for downloading cracked apps on Android like certain apptracker on iPhone?

Boo this man.

elsk

Banned
Well, I don't have the money to pay for apps. If I had, I would be happy to. Lets see how much you guys could buy with 300$ per month.

elsk

Banned
it doesn't matter if you don't have money. NeoGAF has a strict anti-piracy policy.

I'm not asking for links to download anything. I'm just asking about how secure/insecure it is compared to iOS.

There are topics about how to hack Wii, PSP, PS3 on NeoGAF to play pirated games you know...

elsk

Banned

I was looking for a yes or no, tbh... but the most important part was my question about viruses and jelly bean.

edit: So you guys are really not going to answer me? I just want to know how common are the virus in Android Jelly Bean, compared to iOS.

SUPREME1

Banned
Can't afford apps. Has an iPhone.

Not trying to be judgemental... but you're making it hard.

Anyway, why not stick to the free apps?

gutshot

Ah yes, the ole, "I can't afford it right now, hence it is okay for me to steal it" excuse.

I can't afford a BMW, should I just go down to the dealership and steal one?

elsk

Banned
Can't afford apps. Has an iPhone.

Not trying to be judgemental... but you're making it hard.

Anyway, why not stick to the free apps?

Yes, I had 399$ in 2007. Because I don't know if the available free apps are going to cover all my 'needs'.

Ah yes, the ole, "I can't afford it right now, hence it is okay for me to steal it" excuse.

I can't afford a BMW, should I just go down to the dealership and steal one?

Is more of a "eat today or pay for the app" kind of problem for me right now. Tell me how would your life be with a 300$ per month?

Edit: for example, in the iPhone I paid for Doodle Jump, Reader, Converter, Shazam, Whatsapp, etc. Because back then I had available money to do so, but right now I don't.

womp

I'm not asking for direct links to download or anything, just wondering how insecure it is compared to iPhone.

On the contrary, it is very secure...Google tracks every APK you sideload and will send a signal to your Android device deactivating it if the file isn't crosschecked for authenticity on their server side.

You are better off just sticking with your iPhone because piracy on Android is completely nonexistent anyway due to these countermeasures put in place by Google. No one wants to end up with a bricked Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3!!

elsk

Banned
Homebrew, emulation, and software backups are not piracy, and are protected under US law.

Well, imagine, I'm not in the US! Pretty sure there are zero laws about downloading cracked apps here. And it's not a decision of "hey I don't want to pay for that, screw them!" simply I can't afford it right now. As I said, I bought like 10-12 apps back in the day for my iPhone, I only downloaded cracked games to try them and if I liked the game and it was affordable to me I decided to buy it like Doodle Jump or PLants vs. zombies.

SUPREME1

Banned
Yes, I had 399$ in 2007. Because I don't know if the available free apps are going to cover all my 'needs'.

Is more of a "eat today or pay for the app" kind of problem for me right now. Tell me how would your life be with a 300$ per month?

Edit: for example, in the iPhone I paid for Doodle Jump, Reader, Converter, Shazam, Whatsapp, etc. Because back then I had available money to do so, but right now I don't.

Ah, I see. Didn't mean to be so harsh. My bad.

But still, you should stay away from pirating altogether.

elsk

Banned
that's the whole point of LIFE though. You don't have the means for something you want? You work for it so you can have it... not just take it!

Yeah, invite me to USA where I can have a decent job then? Is not all black and white in the world.

Ah, I see. Didn't mean to be so harsh. My bad.

But still, you should stay away from pirating altogether.

It's ok, thanks anyway.

Futureman

I'm not trying to be harsh either my man, but when someone has one of the most advanced smartphones on the planet and they say they can't afford some apps it's a little weird.

yes move to the US if you can. I like it here.

elsk

Banned
I'm not trying to be harsh either my man, but when someone has one of the most advanced smartphones on the planet and they say they can't afford some apps it's a little weird.

yes move to the US if you can. I like it here.

I have 300$ from saving all this year, and Galaxy Nexus is the only good smartphone for that price range. I can't buy a phone on plan because I don't know if I will be able to pay each month. I'm only upgrading from my 2007 iPhone 2G because the battery barely holds for more than 3 hours.

I have 300$ from saving all this year, and Galaxy Nexus is the only good smartphone for that price range. I can't buy a phone on plan because I don't know if I will be able to pay each month. I'm only upgrading from my 2007 iPhone 2G because the battery barely holds for more than 3 hours.
Your priorities are warped beyond measure

gutshot

If you are so poor, why are you buying a smartphone? When I was poor I had a dumbphone, since it was free on contract and the monthly cost was a lot cheaper. You need to cut back on monthly expenses as much as possible, not add-on an extra $30 for a data plan.

giga

Well, I don't have the money to pay for apps. If I had, I would be happy to. Lets see how much you guys could buy with 300$ per month.
If you can't pay for apps, don't pirate them and use free ones. Shit sucks, but you're blatantly stealing from developers whose apps are their source of income.

elsk

Banned
If you are so poor, why are you buying a smartphone? When I was poor I had a dumbphone, since it was free on contract and the monthly cost was a lot cheaper. You need to cut back on monthly expenses as much as possible, not add-on an extra $30 for a data plan.

I'm not paying a plan at all, I can't be sure if I'll be able to pay for the plan the next month. I mainly use the smartphone with WiFi and use whatsapp and to play music and receive calls. If I need to make a call I usually put a prepaid card of 3-5$.

I used a dumbphone for a while but after owning an iPhone it was too hard. I like to check my mail or send a whatsapp/fb message every now and then when I'm out of the house.

If you can't pay for apps, don't pirate them and use free ones. Shit sucks, but you're blatantly stealing from developers whose apps are their source of income.

I usually pay for the apps I like/use the most. I basically use the cracked apps as a trial or when I really need an app and I don't have the money or I just needed it for a couple of days.

3phemeral

I'm not paying a plan at all, I can't be sure if I'll be able to pay for the plan the next month. I mainly use the smartphone with WiFi and use whatsapp and to play music and receive calls. If I need to make a call I usually put a prepaid card of 3-5$.

I used a dumbphone for a while but after owning an iPhone it was too hard. I like to check my mail or send a whatsapp/fb message every now and then when I'm out of the house.

I usually pay for the apps I like/use the most. I basically use the cracked apps as a trial or when I really need an app and I don't have the money or I just needed it for a couple of days.

Amazon has a test-drive feature for apps. Additionally, you have a 15-minute refund window on the Play Store that Google might extend if you contact them explaining why you want a refund.

giga

There's already a trial feature in the play store. What app do you "really need" that it's worth fucking over developers for? You have to make do with whatever your income is and piracy is not the solution.

elsk

Banned
There's already a trial feature in the play store. What app do you "really need" that it's worth fucking over developers for? You have to make do with whatever your income is and piracy is not the solution.

As I said, if I really need an app and if I liked it I pay for it as long as my budget allows me. I'm not going to stop eating for a day just to pay for an app, I doubt I'm doing any damage to a developer by using a cracked app if I can't pay for the app anyway.

Amazon has a test-drive feature for apps. Additionally, you have a 15-minute refund window on the Play Store that Google might extend if you contact them explaining why you want a refund.

Thanks, that sounds interesting.

Futureman

pretty sure people have been banned for admitting to piracy like you are now. Not trying to back seat mod or anything, just letting you know... WALK SOFTLY.

thespot84

On the contrary, it is very secure...Google tracks every APK you sideload and will send a signal to your Android device deactivating it if the file isn't crosschecked for authenticity on their server side.

You are better off just sticking with your iPhone because piracy on Android is completely nonexistent anyway due to these countermeasures put in place by Google. No one wants to end up with a bricked Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3!!
Do you have a source for this?

Is it worth it getting a Galaxy Nexus at this point, I already have a Galaxy S (carrier unlocked and running Jellybean CM10) but it is a bit slow and runs out of memory constantly. Thinking of part exchanging it and offering $200 to get a Nexus.

I am in the UK so I cant get the sweet Galaxy Nexus deal on the play store.

giga

As I said, if I really need an app and if I liked it I pay for it as long as my budget allows me. I'm not going to stop eating for a day just to pay for an app, I doubt I'm doing any damage to a developer by using a cracked app if I can't pay for the app anyway.

Thanks, that sounds interesting.
Yeah, no, you don't "need" any app so much that there are no free or cheap alternatives that you are forced to pirate it. Sorry, but that's total bull to me. You're making excuses.

Futureman

Just got an alert on my Gnex about a severe meterlogical alert? I thought it was a phone call at first, it was vibrating and beeping.

Is this Google Now or Weather Eye?

Alright guys I've been doing some reading and I'm finally ready to root. What is the best ROM out there for sound quality (loudness and quality) ans battery life? Are there any like this with virtually no bugs?

I'm looking at paranoid android and bugless beast but neither has a clear defined feature set beyond a change log.

kinggroin

Banned
Alright guys I've been doing some reading and I'm finally ready to root. What is the best ROM out there for sound quality (loudness and quality) ans battery life? Are there any like this with virtually no bugs?

I'm looking at paranoid android and bugless beast but neither has a clear defined feature set beyond a change log.

Either go with AOKP nightlies or codename android. They're pretty much at parity when it comes to features.

Top Bottom