• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Either go with AOKP nightlies or codename android. They're pretty much at parity when it comes to features.

What about as far as bugs? My main goals are a smooth jb experience like stock with nothing missing or broken , improved and louder sound and better battery life. Would flashing one of these be sufficient for that or would I also need to flash a kernel too?

I'm not asking for links to download anything. I'm just asking about how secure/insecure it is compared to iOS.

There are topics about how to hack Wii, PSP, PS3 on NeoGAF to play pirated games you know...

no, there are homebrew/backup guides for those systems.

Android Backup Guide: Use Titanium Backup

Android Homebrew Guide: Settings=>Security=>[X] Unknown Sources

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What about as far as bugs? My main goals are a smooth jb experience like stock with nothing missing or broken , improved and louder sound and better battery life. Would flashing one of these be sufficient for that or would I also need to flash a kernel too?

AOKP. No need for a kernel.

kinggroin

Banned

If you want the closest thing to stock, check jelly belly.

But AOKP is solid as hell too, WITH more features.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I've been running Bugless Beast since the end of July and it's been fantastic. It boosts the audio output level, and I've been very happy with the battery life (for a GNex, anyway; I had a Razr Maxx before this, so it was kind of a shock when I made the switch). The only thing that it's missing is the stock JB browser (it comes with Chome as the default browser), but you can sideload that if you want it. And as a Verizon GNex owner, I was happy to see that it comes with Google Wallet built in.

I used Jelly Belly for a few weeks, but I got tired of flashing new builds of that ROM every few days. Pete only updates BB when there's something worth updating. I've been so happy with it that I sent him ten bucks to help support it.

I've been running Bugless Beast since the end of July and it's been fantastic. It boosts the audio output level, and I've been very happy with the battery life (for a GNex, anyway; I had a Razr Maxx before this, so it was kind of a shock when I made the switch). The only thing that it's missing is the stock JB browser (it comes with Chome as the default browser), but you can sideload that if you want it. And as a Verizon GNex owner, I was happy to see that it comes with Google Wallet built in.

I used Jelly Belly for a few weeks, but I got tired of flashing new builds of that ROM every few days. Pete only updates BB when there's something worth updating. I've been so happy with it that I sent him ten bucks to help support it.

Bugless beast definitely sounds like what I want out of a rom. Better battery life and louder volume. modifying the notification light and tablet mode sounds attractive, but not at the expensive of broken features and bugs. I was hoping there would some sort of fix for the sound quality but beyond using an external amp I don't think it'll happen. It's too bad about the terrible DAC in this thing. I'm hoping they run with a wolfson chip next time.

Blackhead

Redarse
Do you mean google voice?
No I heard last year that visual voicemail was added in ICS(?!) A friend wants to switch from an iPhone 4 to the nexus and wants to know if his visual voicemail will 'just work'. Youmail is there as a backup plan but I was wondering if the official visual voicemail ever panned out...

Futureman

No I heard last year that visual voicemail was added in ICS(?!) A friend wants to switch from an iPhone 4 to the nexus and wants to know if his visual voicemail will 'just work'. Youmail is there as a backup plan but I was wondering if the official visual voicemail ever panned out...

according to XDA no... but it does work with Google Voice. They should really sign up for GVoice, it's the tits.

GatorBait

As far as I can tell, visual voicemail works just fine and is integrated into your missed call log, contacts, and notification tray.

Visual voicemail and voicemail transcription are two different things.

Blackhead

Redarse
according to XDA no... but it does work with Google Voice. They should really sign up for GVoice, it's the tits.

As far as I can tell, visual voicemail works just fine and is integrated into your missed call log, contacts, and notification tray.

Visual voicemail and voicemail transcription are two different things.
Er, so which is it :lol ?

Voicemail transcription isn't needed and he doesn't want to sign up for google voice.

GatorBait

Er, so which is it :lol ?

Voicemail transcription isn't needed and he doesn't want to sign up for google voice.

Visual voicemail is in. Voicemail transcription is in Google Voice only. Previous posters were getting these two things confused when they were replying to you.

BlueMagic

So I'm gonna ask my father, who is travelling to the USA, to buy me a galaxy nexus. How is the shipping handled and how much does it cost, approximately? I can't go to the store and check the prices because it says that it's not available in my country (yet).

elsk

Banned
So I'm gonna ask my father, who is travelling to the USA, to buy me a galaxy nexus. How is the shipping handled and how much does it cost, approximately? I can't go to the store and check the prices because it says that it's not available in my country (yet).

You can use hydemyass.com to enter the store.

when I bought my gnex the phone was 349 and the final total was about 380 i believe. tax was a good chunk of that, im thinking shipping was $10-12

3phemeral

Can't seem to find this on xda but:

Recently started having screen issues. I'm on as close to AOSP as you can get, so I'm puzzled. When I reboot, it appears that the phone is still off; however, I can feel that I unlock the screen because I have haptic feedback enabled. When I place the phone into landscape, sometimes I can get half the screen to show up.

I can reboot into recovery just fine, and the Google logo with the unlocked icon appears, too, just when it attempts to load the boot animation or the actual OS I get mostly nothing. What's even more perplexing is that when I tap on the power button, the CRT animation still works, but nothing else. Not the lock screen, the desktop. Only touch controls, Google logo, and CRT animation.

Rebooting it fixed the first time, but now I can't seem to get it to display anything at all.

I'm probably going to have to flash but I was hoping that I could get in first to back up my apps.

Anyone experience something similar?

[edit] decided to do a dirty flash to temp fix it and it seems to have worked, but I would still like to figure out why the hell it did that. Meh.

Nif

This wait for a new Nexus announcement is painful. I'm looking for a new unlocked phone, but hopefully nothing over $400.

Blackhead

Redarse
So, erm, the Google Now search is distinct from the old Android search (which could open and search apps and stuff)? How do I access the Android search or, better yet, combine the two?

-_- I was exchanging my iPhone5 due to battery issues and impulsively decided to return it and grab a galaxy nexus instead. This is my first prolonged look at JellyBean on a device configured myself...

gcubed

So, erm, the Google Now search is distinct from the old Android search (which could open and search apps and stuff)? How do I access the Android search or, better yet, combine the two?

-_- I was exchanging my iPhone5 due to battery issues and impulsively decided to return it and grab a galaxy nexus instead. This is my first prolonged look at JellyBean on a device configured myself...

My Google Now searches apps and phone content also?

In Google Now settings there is a section to pick which apps you'd like to be searchable

Futureman

well Google Now ISN'T search. It's more like a personal assistant that tries to bring information to you that you didn't know you needed.

if you want to search your phone for apps, just tap the search bar on the home screen and either type or say something into the mic.

Blackhead

Redarse
My Google Now searches apps and phone content also?

In Google Now settings there is a section to pick which apps you'd like to be searchable
*smacks forehead* my keyboard is so big that it was covering the results of the phone search. It looks so sleek, love it. Now I need more plugins and shortcuts

Futureman

Grey what is your phone history? Have you always been on iPhone and now moved to Android? Seems like you are pleased... 4.1 is a perfect time for anyone to jump aboard.

womp

*smacks forehead* my keyboard is so big that it was covering the results of the phone search. It looks so sleek, love it. Now I need more plugins and shortcuts

I don't know what you mean by 'plugins' necessarily but the beauty of Android is its integration with what you have installed and how everything is interconnected to each other. :)

HeySeuss

Woke up to the Jelly Bean update with Verizon. Seems a LOT faster and responsive. Hopefully there is a noticeable improvement in the radio signals.

Blackhead

Redarse
Grey what is your phone history? Have you always been on iPhone and now moved to Android? Seems like you are pleased... 4.1 is a perfect time for anyone to jump aboard.
it's a long history...

I don't know what you mean by 'plugins' necessarily but the beauty of Android is its integration with what you have installed and how everything is interconnected to each other. :)

I already have Color dict, wikipedia, wiktionary, imdb installed and they show up in phone search so I can quickly lookup a word or term while using the device. I'd like this to be more seamless e.g. I'd like to highlight/select a word or picture, switch to google now and immediately get results (as a halfmeasure someone could create a tweak that puts google now/search in the share menu). I'd also like more suggestions of apps that I could install which open up to phone search (a craigslist/kijiji app and rss reader would be incredibly convenient).

Sumidor

Woke up to the Jelly Bean update with Verizon. Seems a LOT faster and responsive. Hopefully there is a noticeable improvement in the radio signals.

Same here.. My reception has been horrible, and I've been through 3 replacement phones already. Hoping this update will fix it and I can just enjoy having a phone that works.

Sky Chief

Jelly Bean is amazing. I finally got it two days ago and I feel like I have a newer, faster phone.

And Google Now is brilliant. My first day with it it helped me avoid a major accident on my way home from work.

However, even though I repeatedly search for my favorite sports teams I don't see any sports cards even when the games are in progress. What am I not doing correctly?

Zeppu

Jelly Bean is amazing. I finally got it two days ago and I feel like I have a newer, faster phone.

And Google Now is brilliant. My first day with it it helped me avoid a major accident on my way home from work.

However, even though I repeatedly search for my favorite sports teams I don't see any sports cards even when the games are in progress. What am I not doing correctly?

Go to Google now settings and add your favourite teams

Top Bottom