• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

Great, thanks.

You can also individually turn on and off cards about upcoming games, give you a (somewhat delayed) score during the game, and then have the card hang out on Google Now with the final score after the game's over.

Sky Chief

Go to Google now settings and add your favourite teams

WTF, this option was grayed out for me yesterday and now it works. Too bad they don't have NCAA or MLS teams but glad they have Euro Soccer. Also, would be awesome to have golf leaderboards and such. Hopefully this is all coming soon

Pyrokai

I would like to reset my phone to factory settings and start anew. Photos are already backed up...but....how can I prevent it from downloading all my old apps when I sign in to my Google account for the first time....or won't it?

3phemeral

I would like to reset my phone to factory settings and start anew. Photos are already backed up...but....how can I prevent it from downloading all my old apps when I sign in to my Google account for the first time....or won't it?

It'll ask you before you complete the initial sign-in process.

Sky Chief

WTF, this option was grayed out for me yesterday and now it works. Too bad they don't have NCAA or MLS teams but glad they have Euro Soccer. Also, would be awesome to have golf leaderboards and such. Hopefully this is all coming soon

My mistake, they do have MLS teams they are just named strangely. For example, FC Dallas is named "Frisco FC Dallas" because they play in Frisco, Texas. Strange but glad they have it

Pyrokai

Man, this Jelly Bean update has really gotten me to use my phone again for things other than texting. I've had it since it came out and have barely used it for anything other than the typical stuff like texting and occasional web-browsing. But Google Now is really neat. I have no idea how it works but it keeps blowing my mind.

Hate to ask this but.....where can I go to find out some must-have apps? I've literally not opened the App Store in about a year....so I'm a little behind, but I know how annoying it is to ask people "what apps should I get!?" so is there like....a master list/thread/website of awesome apps to check out somewhere?

Also, I think I need an extra battery for this phone. It just doesn't make it through my day. Where can I buy a battery that I know will work and is compatible?

I'd have to say after flashing codename android there's not much interest in a new phone beyond a better camera Wolfson dac, and a better screen. Gnex overclocked is awesome and deep sleep saves me so much battery power!

The next nexus phone is really gonna have to be something special to interest me beyond the gnex, otherwise I could sit still for another year possibly.

elsk

Banned
I'd have to say after flashing codename android there's not much interest in a new phone beyond a better camera Wolfson dac, and a better screen. Gnex overclocked is awesome and deep sleep saves me so much battery power!

The next nexus phone is really gonna have to be something special to interest me beyond the gnex, otherwise I could sit still for another year possibly.

Could you explain a little bit about what's the difference between codename android and stock android? And does the Galaxy Nexus need to be overlocked, as is the CPU slow? Also want to know a bit about deep sleep, is that available in stock android?

Thanks!

thespot84

is there really a noticable difference in DACs once you get to the point of the nexus DAC? I happen to think the nexus DAC is great...

reKon

Banned

I don't know why the Nexus sounds so bad for you. When I got this thing one of the first things I loaded up was Google Music and the sound quality really impressed me. No distortion at all on my end and everything sounded clean. At first some of us thought this was the Wolfson DAC, but it wasn't.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-review-699p5.php

CNA is awesome, try Francos kernel and it's blazing, like Butter 2.0 or something. And I get like 2 days of battery life with moderate usage and about 3 hours of on screen time.

Could you explain a little bit about what's the difference between codename android and stock android? And does the Galaxy Nexus need to be overlocked, as is the CPU slow? Also want to know a bit about deep sleep, is that available in stock android?

Thanks!

Deep sleep should be available in stock. Install Cpu Spy app and it will tell you the CPU usage.

CNA (or AOKP, CM10) is like enhanced stock android.

You get notification toggles - no need for external apps (as an notification toggle app screws with the JB notification system because you dont get expandable notifications on top), updated Linux kernel, SMS quick reply (popup sms box), lockscreen modifications (more targets), status bar modifications, cpu options, theme support etc.

Basically you get a bunch of options you can use or just disable/leave untouched without the need to install additional apps that have similar functionality.

CPU is not slow but you have the option to overclock however with a custom kernel I get great performance with stock CPU clocks. Only thing most custom kernels do is overclock the GPU from 307 to 384 - which apparently has proven to have only minimal impact on battery life while increasing the performance a little bit.

I don't know why the Nexus sounds so bad for you. When I got this thing one of the first things I loaded up was Google Music and the sound quality really impressed me. No distortion at all on my end and everything sounded clean. At first some of us thought this was the Wolfson DAC, but it wasn't.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-review-699p5.php

I'm a music producer so my ears might be a bit more specific than most. The DAC in the gnex has a built in 'limiter', this is evidence when tweaking EQ settings that cause it to reach a ceiling, which isn't very high in terms of headphone audio output. The bass has a bit off rolloff and distorts well before the drivers in the headphones ever would, same applies to mid's and high's at a certain point.

after flashing a custom rom volume output seems to have improved for everything else but headphone output, and sound quality IMO is still lacking.

CNA is awesome, try Francos kernel and it's blazing, like Butter 2.0 or something. And I get like 2 days of battery life with moderate usage and about 3 hours of on screen time.

I think i will give franco's kernel a try. I'm running faux kernel right now (comes with CNA) but MHL doesn't seem to work which is a drag.

BTW, does anyone know of a rom that works with mhl to hdmi? CNA doesn't seem to, or at least the faux kernel doesnt seem to support.

reKon

Banned
I've gotten the habit of turning off mobile data and wifi at night (because I don't need that when I'm sleep). I usually have 1-2% in about 8 hours after doing this. So this is the kind of battery life I get when I'm so busy that I lightly use my phone, am on Wi-fi almost every where I go, and turn off mobile data/wi-fi when I sleep. Having the CM 10 toggles actually makes this all pretty easy. This phone could really benefit from smart actions from motorola that would let you automate all of this

This is with the VWZ Nexus with a 2100 mAH battery that I got a month ago:

12+-+1

Screenshot_2012-10-04-10-39-03.png

Screenshot_2012-10-04-10-39-09.png

For some reason even though I only played Ski Safari for a small amount of time, it shows that it continued to drain battery. This is what GSAM shows me and I have no idea what's going because this happens with certain games. I don't know if this is a bug in term of what the battery is reporting...

Screenshot_2012-10-04-10-40-06.png

elsk

Banned
Deep sleep should be available in stock. Install Cpu Spy app and it will tell you the CPU usage.

CNA (or AOKP, CM10) is like enhanced stock android.

You get notification toggles - no need for external apps (as an notification toggle app screws with the JB notification system because you dont get expandable notifications on top), updated Linux kernel, SMS quick reply (popup sms box), lockscreen modifications (more targets), status bar modifications, cpu options, theme support etc.

Basically you get a bunch of options you can use or just disable/leave untouched without the need to install additional apps that have similar functionality.

CPU is not slow but you have the option to overclock however with a custom kernel I get great performance with stock CPU clocks. Only thing most custom kernels do is overclock the GPU from 307 to 384 - which apparently has proven to have only minimal impact on battery life while increasing the performance a little bit.

Thank you! to overclock the CPU I would need to root it, right?

elsk

Banned
Yes.

you need root for custom roms, overclock and kernels.

I find it to be easy on the Gnex to root. There is a Toolkit over at XDA that does all the magic.

Make sure you reset your wallet before you root and unlock! You don't want to lose nfc capability forever on the phone!

Thanks, I was asking mostly because I don't think I'll get into the rooting thing, and I was wondering if I could overclock it without doing that.

Thanks again :)

Nicktendo86

Thanks, I was asking mostly because I don't think I'll get into the rooting thing, and I was wondering if I could overclock it without doing that.

Aokp is pretty amazing by the way, the amount of mods and customisation options are mind blowing the first time you use it.

no problem!

Some major differences are significantly improved battery life over the stock jellybean rom, output volume is significantly louder (ringtones, notifications, music from the speaker, etc). The main reason for the better battery life is because most established roms and kernels are set up so that the phone goes into a "deep sleep" when inactive, saving a crapload of battery power. by dialing down the processor speed and killing non essential functions and processes while idle. I was discharging 20 or more percentage points overnight on stock JB and now i may lose 3-4 points overnight.

You also get control over the notification light, its colors, frequency etc. You get power profiles for the processor and profiles for the phone like home, work, etc.

The only downside I've noticed at lest with CNA (codename android) is that MHL doesn't seem to be supported, and with my PS3 broken, I rely on my phone for netflix, movies, etc over my tv at the moment.

Futureman

If you use "slide to unlock" you can manipulate the notification shade on the lock screen. Only problem is the screen will still time out if you are going through your notifications. It's more obvious on Jelly Bean due to being able to expand notifications and read messages from the shade.

I've also noticed after a week of JB that things can still get somewhat janky. Project Butter needs work, or maybe it's just stock VZW JB. Sometimes I'll hit the multitasking button and only the most recent app shows with the others filling in after a few seconds. Also in Chrome, if you click on a link, look at the new page that opens, the hit the back button... the new page fades away and when the previous page comes up there's a 2 second or so lag.

Cake Boss

Banned
OK so where is the " save this page for offline reading" option in jellybean, ever since this update I can't find it anymore in the browser. I can find the list of saved pages I saved but not the option to have new ones saved.

Salaadin

Can anyone reccomend a good car dock for the VZW GNex? Im looking at some universal options and theyre nice but Im wondering if theres anything with the 3 pin connector.

elsk

Banned
no problem!

Some major differences are significantly improved battery life over the stock jellybean rom, output volume is significantly louder (ringtones, notifications, music from the speaker, etc). The main reason for the better battery life is because most established roms and kernels are set up so that the phone goes into a "deep sleep" when inactive, saving a crapload of battery power. by dialing down the processor speed and killing non essential functions and processes while idle. I was discharging 20 or more percentage points overnight on stock JB and now i may lose 3-4 points overnight.

You also get control over the notification light, its colors, frequency etc. You get power profiles for the processor and profiles for the phone like home, work, etc.

The only downside I've noticed at lest with CNA (codename android) is that MHL doesn't seem to be supported, and with my PS3 broken, I rely on my phone for netflix, movies, etc over my tv at the moment.

Thank you again for all the explanation and details :)

I have one more doubt, how is the screen? I understand they didn't use Gorilla Glass so I was wondering if the screen is easily scratchable/breakable?

Futureman

Sales ban on Galaxy Nexus overturned.

this was already reported, but apparently the GNex has 0.5% of the market haha.

"Apple has presented no evidence that directly ties consumer demand for the Galaxy Nexus to its allegedly infringing feature," noted the court. The court added that while Siri is a very popular feature in Apple's iPhone, "there is also no dispute, however, that the Galaxy Nexus does not have a feature equivalent to Siri."

The appeals court ruled that the district court, which initially awarded the injunction against the Galaxy Nexus, "abused its discretion," and that Apple did not establish a causal nexus between the unified search feature and sales of the Galaxy Nexus. "To establish a sufficiently strong causal nexus, Apple must show that consumers buy the Galaxy Nexus because it is equipped with the apparatus claimed in the ’604 patent — not because it can search in general, and not even because it has unified search, " explained the court. As a result, the injunction has been permanently reversed and Samsung is free to sell the Galaxy Nexus in the US.

Salaadin

https://play.google.com/store/devic...V2aWNlLWdhbGF4eV9uZXh1c19oc3BhX2Nhcl9kb2NrIl0.

it can be quickly and easily "modified" for the vzw nexus in about 90 seconds

No way! Thanks, man!

What does that entail?

Basically, the volume rocker holes needs to be modifed some and it works perfectly. More info and video:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/0...-3-pin-car-dock-to-work-with-the-lte-version/

It also apparently works even with the extended battery:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/0...te-version-slightest-of-modifications-needed/

Thank you again for all the explanation and details :)

I have one more doubt, how is the screen? I understand they didn't use Gorilla Glass so I was wondering if the screen is easily scratchable/breakable?

Screen is very hard to scratch. I haven't seen a scratch yet and my phone fell face first onto the concrete without any protection

d07vl.png

My battery is screwed. :X

I doubt the phone warranty will cover battery replacement.

More like your phone is on wake lock.

If you notice, your phone wakes up a lot. Like, A LOT. It never goes into deep sleep (battery save) mode. You have to find out why it's doing that.

Go one screen back and see what is taking up your battery.

More like your phone is on wake lock.

If you notice, your phone wakes up a lot. Like, A LOT. It never goes into deep sleep (battery save) mode. You have to find out why it's doing that.

Go one screen back and see what is taking up your battery.

Nah the battery is done for.

Last week, after a full charge, I was on a call when suddenly the screen would no longer come on. Call was still ongoing but I could not get the screen to turn on in order to cancel the call. Had to take out the battery and reboot. Fully charged battery showed me 12% remaining after reboot.

Since then it's barely lasting 12 hours on a full charge. I checked the overnight idle consumption (switched it to airplane mode and made sure nothing was working in the background). In less than 7 hours battery was down to 45% from fully charged.

If this is due to wake lock, how do I check what's causing it? The battery screen only showed screen on, idle time and calls as the major battery users when I last checked.

thespot84

Nah the battery is done for.

Last week, after a full charge, I was on a call when suddenly the screen would no longer come on. Call was still ongoing but I could not get the screen to turn on in order to cancel the call. Had to take out the battery and reboot. Fully charged battery showed me 12% remaining after reboot.

Since then it's barely lasting 12 hours on a full charge. I checked the overnight idle consumption (switched it to airplane mode and made sure nothing was working in the background). In less than 7 hours battery was down to 45% from fully charged.

If this is due to wake lock, how do I check what's causing it? The battery screen only showed screen on, idle time and calls as the major battery users when I last checked.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en

Anybody here using SwiftKey (3) on their GNex? Sooooooooo gooooooood.

Yeah, been using it on my tablet too, the split keyboard with the number pad rocks my socks.

Better than Swype?

I don't like the "swipe" style keyboards, so yes, for me it's better. From what I can tell, SwiftKey doesn't support swipe functionality. It's basically the keyboard that the stock keyboard is supposed to be. No crazy, unnecessary functions, but very solid improvements all across the board.

I don't like the "swipe" style keyboards, so yes, for me it's better. From what I can tell, SwiftKey doesn't support swipe functionality. It's basically the keyboard that the stock keyboard is supposed to be. No crazy, unnecessary functions, but very solid improvements all across the board.

Ah okay, I'm just so used to swyping that I can't go back to a normal keyboard.

Top Bottom