• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

rozay

Banned
Sorry nokia, but this is my next phone. Love what they've done with the OS and visual style, though I may have to tweak some of those icons a bit.

andycapps

rozay said:
Guys, they know you don't want 2 clocks on the lockscreen:
ff8561ab-e847-4e16-887d-6d797a5efd98.jpg

Hold up, let me find something else to complain about.

I hope the Metro comparisons will stop now, because Matias clearly doesn't like it.

“Across the board Google and Android is taking design a lot more seriously,” Matias says, and points out that Roboto is used throughout the system. “There’s this thing that’s happening right now in user interface design that I find kind of shackling. The faux wood paneling trend, and the airport lavatory signage trend.” He laughs when he says this and pulls up a slide on his computer, a split screen of an Atari 2600 and… airport lavatory signage. It’s an obvious dig at both Apple and Microsoft."

airport lavatory signage, nice.

Oozer3993

The camera — though lower in resolution than Apple’s iPhone 4S and several other devices on the market — takes incredible looking photos. Matias shows a few shots he’s taken with the phone, and I have to double check with him that they weren’t downloaded from a point-and-shoot.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Totakeke

brotkasten said:
I hope the Metro comparisons will stop now, because Matias clearly doesn't like it.

“Across the board Google and Android is taking design a lot more seriously,” Matias says, and points out that Roboto is used throughout the system. “There’s this thing that’s happening right now in user interface design that I find kind of shackling. The faux wood paneling trend, and the airport lavatory signage trend.” He laughs when he says this and pulls up a slide on his computer, a split screen of an Atari 2600 and… airport lavatory signage. It’s an obvious dig at both Apple and Microsoft."

And ICS is just neon blue. Take that!

Cipherr

Oozer3993 said:
The camera — though lower in resolution than Apple’s iPhone 4S and several other devices on the market — takes incredible looking photos. Matias shows a few shots he’s taken with the phone, and I have to double check with him that they weren’t downloaded from a point-and-shoot.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Camera sounds great too, but its more the OS that I was interested in. Really happy to see so many meaningful nice improvements. Hardware wise there will always be droves of choice for phones on Android devices, so Im not to concerned with that.

andycapps

MontTrain said:
Looks like google still can't produce a lag free UI. Maybe it needs quad core and 2 gig RAM.

This should be bannable. Nobody has shown any lag in it yet.

Edit: From the videos from The Verge, I see no lag.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
giga said:
Interesting. He says that swiping away the apps from the recent apps list doesn't actually dismiss them but just removes them from the list.

Oh no... SMH what's the point of that? It just creates a disconnect between user and action.

Tuck

brotkasten said:

Airport lavatory signage looks better than neon freaking blue.

Hell, even iOS does, and I hate the faux wood crap.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
That whole event was underwhelming. I mean all the shit they showed off as part of the new experience is stuff HTC was doing for a couple of years.

Contacts link with their social networks and IM..check
Panorama..check
Editing pictures...check
Adding favorite contacts as a widget on a home screen...check
The Sense UI even places your most used apps in it's own category in the 3.0 launcher

The only thing I liked was the addition of things like the GMail widget and placing the favorite apps in a folder as a widget. Rest of it is kinda...well.....disappointing.

Lots of nice little features to have but nothing "ZOMG MUST HAVE NAO". Also they should rehearse a lot more next time to avoid the fail during demos.

Also looks very WP7-ish. Microsoft should be proud.

kehs

Banned
giga said:
Interesting. He says that swiping away the apps from the recent apps list doesn't actually dismiss them but just removes them from the list.

Makes sense, force stopping it would be...weird to do.

nib95

Banned
andycapps said:

Huh? You can see it very slightly in the recent new video's. It's also mentioned in the first preview. That and it's something apparent in all Android phone's I've ever tested including the Galaxy S2. Denial and silencing opinions as you mention is a terrible way to address this.
Admittedly the lag is literally split second stuff when switching UI pages, but it's still there none-the-less. It isn't on some of the other OS's...

Cipherr

nib95 said:
I thought hardware acceleration would solve this smh...

Are you looking at the same videos Im looking at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6QbAX_E3-k&https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6QbAX_E3-k&

nib95 said:
Huh? You can see it very slightly in the recent new video's. It's also mentioned in the first preview. That and it's something apparent in all Android phone's I've ever tested including the Galaxy S2. Denial and silencing opinions as you mention is a terrible way to address this.
Admittedly the lag is literally split second stuff when switching UI pages, but it's still there none-the-less. It isn't on some of the other OS's...

No.... its not visibile at all. Ive watched the video like 3 times already specifically looking for this lag, and its no where to be found but in text on TIMN that was linked earlier. The actual demos going up are showing nothing of the sort. TIMN says they saw lag and stuttering, and they put that up before the conference. Every video coming out of the conference is silky smooth in action.

jayb

andycapps said:

Edit: From the videos from The Verge, I see no lag.

yeah, I haven't seen any lag in the the videos, but they do say this about it:

As to overall performance, we saw a good deal of stutter in the Galaxy Nexus before us. Taps were not always recognized and there were occasional delays in performing an instruction, though in Google’s defense, it was a phone fully loaded with running tasks and the software is being continually improved and optimized (i.e. it’s not yet fully baked). That having been said, it unfortunately remains the case that Android isn’t as swift and responsive as iOS or Windows Phone (or even MeeGo Harmattan on the N9). Or at least it wasn’t on the demo phone we got a look at. The subtle, pervasive lag that has characterized the Android UI since it inception is still there, which is not a heartening thing to hear when you’re talking about a super-powered dual-core device like the Galaxy Nexus.
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/galaxy-nexus-android-ice-cream-sandwich-pictures-video-hands-on/

:(

andycapps

nib95 said:

I think people confuse transitions with lag. From watching The Verge videos, I didn't see anything. To each their own I guess. But saying trollish comments about how they need 2 gigs of RAM to get rid of lag, when it's debatable if there if even is any, seem overboard.

OS looked good in most places except those showing metro like functions. The Motorola phone however looked much much better than the Nexus

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Andrex said:
Oh no... SMH what's the point of that? It just creates a disconnect between user and action.
Battery management is more important than user disconnect or whatever you want to call it.

nib95

Banned
Cipherr said:
Are you looking at the same videos Im looking at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6QbAX_E3-k&https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6QbAX_E3-k&

No.... its not visibile at all. Ive watched the video like 3 times already specifically looking for this lag, and its no where to be found but in text on TIMN that was linked earlier. The actual demos going up are showing nothing of the sort.

Admittedly it seems less like a lag and more like a minuscule jitter. I'm actually playing with a Galaxy S2 now and on the home page UI screens it is there, though hard to initially pick up. It's more obvious when you have an Iphone to directly compare it with (which I do).

Cipherr

From engadget:

The 1.2GHz dual-core processor was startlingly fast. It actually felt a wee bit quicker than our Galaxy S II, and given that Ice Cream Sandwich and the Galaxy Nexus were apparently built for one another, we're assuming there's some deeply ingrained optimizations to thank. Swiping from pane to pane was faster than its ever been on Android, and the new Roboto font actually is super eye-pleasing. The touch response of the capacitive buttons -- much like those on the original Nexus One -- take a bit of getting used to, and we had to mash 'em just a touch harder than we anticipated to elicit a response. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing worth noting. We'll be building out our impressions and adding video in a few -- for now, have a gander at the gallery below!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I’ve been carrying the Nexus Galaxy (let’s say “NG” for short) around for weeks, watching Android 4/Ice Cream Sandwich (let’s say “ICS”) come together. It’s a pretty nice phone. Size matters. But software matters more.

tl;dr · The best thing about the device is the new Android release. The best thing about the new Android release is the apps: Gmail, Calendar, and so on. The second-best thing is the screen. The big debating point is the size

The rest in there: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/10/18/ICS-and-Galaxy-Nexus

Pics took with the NG camera: https://plus.google.com/photos/107606703558161507946/albums/5664931612669532481

All of this talk of hardware acceleration and new features makes me wonder what it will do to the battery life of my already <12 hours of use Inspire 4G.

jagowar

nib95 said:
Admittedly it seems less like a lag and more like a minuscule jitter. I'm actually playing with a Galaxy S2 now and on the home page UI screens it is there, though hard to initially pick up. It's more obvious when you have an Iphone to directly compare it with (which I do).

Same with wp7.... the lag is more noticeable when you have something that is always as smooth as glass. I'm sure current android users see that as a huge improvement which it is.

zedge

nib95 said:

I dont see any lag on my GS2, maybe a tiny tiny bit of stutter that is barely noticible but I have widgets all over the place. I dont care though, this phone is so fast and such a joy to use. Web browsing on it is just plain awesome and is much better than iphone 4 or 4s in my opinion.

Cipherr

brotkasten said:
Sounds familiar.

I would be right there with you if we didnt have videos going up one at a time backing it up. We have one site and a few posters saying there is lag, not a single video however shows any, and any site that says its smooth is labeled "Oh Ive heard that before". Just saying.

Top Bottom