• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Blackhead

Redarse
Andrex said:
ics.png

Lol, clever shoujo.
Why have two clocks? sloppy... *shrug*

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich

Joshua Topolsky said:
I’m sitting in an anonymous, fluorescently-lit office on the Google campus where the Android team is situated, a surprisingly bare setting that seems to clash with the rest of the company’s, multi-colored, neo-hippie aesthetic. I’m waiting for Matias Duarte — Android’s head of user experience — so that we can discuss the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system (dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich), and hopefully get a look at the smartphone the new OS will ship with...

Cipherr

Chesskid1 said:
what does that mean? that people can just start developing for it right? that's about it?

Yes that, and that Ill be running 4.0 in an emulator on my PC as soon as this finishes downloading. Look around the OS and whatnot by my own self. ;)

clav

Cipherr said:
Yes that, and that Ill be running 4.0 in an emulator on my PC as soon as this finishes downloading. Look around the OS and whatnot by my own self. ;)
Is the SDK still running in Java?

andycapps

Totakeke said:
Just because people are saying Metro doesn't mean they know what's Metro really about, you're getting upset over nothing.

gallery-share-lg.png

vs.

VFdfE.jpg

Blue neon!

Again, it's not really similar to Metro. Post pictures of the G+ online photo viewer. Very similar to that.

tfur

Detecting a few who are jelly.

Looks real damn good. As always, Android consistently continues to move ahead in the functionality department. Also, the attentions to type face, and space, as well as the proper size, dpi screen and amoled is something special.

Feels like the torch has been passed to this Metias guy and the android team.

Pctx

Banned
Cipherr said:
That's what I'm doing. :)

kehs

Banned
Holy shit:

Android now supports Wi-Fi Direct for peer-to-peer (P2P) connections between Android-powered devices and other device types without a hotspot or Internet connection. The Android framework provides a set of Wi-Fi P2P APIs that allow you to discover and connect to other devices when each device supports Wi-Fi Direct, then communicate over a speedy connection across distances much longer than a Bluetooth connection.

Cipherr

The notification window is now slightly translucent with a glowing dot when you pull it downward. Notifications can be swiped away one at a time, mirroring webOS 3.0 behavior. You can access your notifications on the lock screen if you’re not using a passcode, and you can jump quickly to your settings through the window shade.

That clears that up.

Copernicus said:
Holy shit:

I think I understand this, but elaborate for me please with an example.

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:
That clears that up.

I think I understand this, but elaborate for me please with an example.

Connecting two wifi devices without a network.

Totakeke said:
That's pretty awesome, but only for Android phones? Someone needs to start cracking on that.

Nope, this aint apple. Wifi Direct is a certification that doesn't require android.

Circle T

So, they showed that GVoice voicemails are now integrated right into the phone app. Do we think that GVoice will FINALLY integrate SMSs into the Messages app as well, or is that just wishful thinking?

"Honeycomb was kind of that emergency landing. You get there, ‘phew, okay survived that,' and when we finished that we said 'what’s next?"

Well, no shit.

Cipherr

Copernicus said:
Connecting two wifi devices without a network.

Nope, this aint apple. Wifi Direct is a certification that doesn't require android.

Wonder if games could benefit from that. Could be interesting.

kehs

Banned
Circle T said:
So, they showed that GVoice voicemails are now integrated right into the phone app. Do we think that GVoice will FINALLY integrate SMSs into the Messages app as well, or is that just wishful thinking?

ANY voicemail service can integrate into the contacts.

Circle T

Copernicus said:
ANY voicemail service can integrate into the contacts.
I guess what I'm saying is, will GVoice still be a separate app, or can you just enable its functions, and have them integrate into their respective apps (Phone, Messages, etc)?

kehs

Banned
Circle T said:
I guess what I'm saying is, will GVoice still be a separate app, or can you just enable its functions, and have them integrate into their respective apps (Phone, Messages, etc)?
They'll be seperate apps, but can integrate directly.

SimleuqiR said:
Don't bother Jim, you can't impress gaf.
I know, just a metro mish mash.

I think I can forgive the lack of curve now. I wasn't expecting them to go this far out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like I'm going to have to root my HTC Glacier. Love the swipe notification webOS stuff.

Rest of the UI is... well, improved. Not going to say the launcher impressed me or anything. Biggest (little) thing was higher res Google contact image imports.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ics.png

I keep looking at this picture and keep wanting to touch myself inappropriately. The hardware and software may not be perfect, but damn if it's not the best out there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
But there are deeper changes. Matias tells me that starting with Android 4.0, users can uninstall any application they like, such as the native browser or email client — and that seems to go for carrier software as well.

Yesssss....

Circle T

Copernicus said:
They'll be seperate apps, but can integrate directly.
I hope so, because as we all will pretty much attest to, the GVoice app is pretty shit. I just want Voicemails to be in the phone, where all my phone call stuff is, and my SMSs to be in the Messages app where those are. Let me just "Enable Google Voice" and then the phone does the rest. I've been using GVoice for years now, I'm hoping they get this working eventually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Divvy said:
Yesssss....

OMG.

So long, bloatware!

Of course Android is open source so they could still muck with it somehow. :(

Greyface said:
Why have two clocks? sloppy... *shrug*

I was more talking about the fact that the clocks are at 4:00, aka 4.0. :p

Top Bottom