• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

r1chard

Divvy said:
Anybody know what kind of battery life we're looking at? The RAZR's battery life is pretty impressive. How does this stack up?
The only review up so far at Wired says it's a bit crap. A day, not under load.

Edit: mind you the wired review is a bit crap. I think the phone has made significant improvements over the previous Nexus which is only a year old ...

minus_273 said:
innovation.png

lol. There are many exceptions, but the overall feel is pretty spot on.

Ice cream actually feels like the child of win7 and ios and some honeycomb.

Menelaus said:
That's gotta rank up there with one of the worst hands-on videos I've ever seen for any product. Have these guys ever used an Android phone before?

Never rely on Engadget for a unbiased review of iOS or Android

brotkasten said:
EEN BOMM ZAL DROPPEN

But there are deeper changes. Matias tells me that starting with Android 4.0, users can uninstall any application they like, such as the native browser or email client — and that seems to go for carrier software as well.

edit:
"I came here because they’re winning"

clav

VanMardigan said:
So the choice is between a high res screen (Nexus) or a good camera (s2)? I don't know why Google would de emphasize camera when it's always at the top of what consumers want and the rival has made it a point of pride for a while now.

The screen is going to be ridiculously awesome at least, but unless there are surprises, it'll be two straight disappointing conferences. Three in a row next week when Nokia unveils an n9 with Windows phone as their flagship for this year.
Oh come on.

ICS is definitely the best Android experience yet.

Would you really take away the improvements from the G-apps, notification bar, lock screen, home page, and camera/video recorder no shutter lag features mentioned today?

kehs

Banned
claviertekky said:
Oh come on.

ICS is definitely the best Android experience yet.

Would you really take away the improvements from the G-apps, notification bar, lock screen, home page, and camera/video recorder no shutter lag features mentioned today?

That was a pre-conference post I believe.

---
Dan Morrill said:
I still can't believe they didn't talk about the best feature of the Galaxy Nexus.

The fat end of the Galaxy Nexus is exactly the same thickness as the thin end of a Nexus S. The skinny end thus doubles as a car window ice scraper for those of you in the snowbound lands.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly... there will be two variants of the phone. Both will have dual mode CDMA/GSM support, but one will be able to take advantage of LTE while the other will be able to take advantage of HSPA+. This means that I should be able to use either phone internationally, but in certain countries or on certain carriers I won't be able to tap 3.5/4G speeds. Could someone correct me if I'm mistaken?

Goldrush

chickdigger802 said:
lol. There are many exceptions, but the overall feel is pretty spot on.

Ice cream actually feels like the child of win7 and ios and some honeycomb.

Don't forget WebOS. Definitely a bit of WebOS DNA in there too.

kehs

Banned
Not sure if this stuff should on the android ot, but whatever:

Stylus input, button support, hover events

Android 4.0 includes full support for stylus input events, including tilt and distance axes, pressure, and related motion event properties. To help applications distinguish motion events from different sources, the platform adds distinct tool types for stylus, finger, mouse, and eraser. For improved input from multi-button pointing devices, the platform now provides distinct primary, secondary, and tertiary buttons, as well as back and forward buttons. Hover-enter and hover-exit events are also added, for improved navigation and accessibility. Developers can build on these new input features to add powerful interactions to their apps, such as precise drawing and gesturing, handwriting and shape recognition, improved mouse input, and others.

Mouse/keyboard/stylus support for extra specialized buttons.
Audio remote controls

Android 4.0 adds a new audio remote control API that lets media applications integrate with playback controls that are displayed in a remote view. Media applications can integrate with a remote music playback control that’s built into in the platform’s lock screen, allowing users to control song selection and playback without having to unlock and navigate to the music app.

Using the audio remote control API, any music or media app can register to receive media button events from the remote control and then manage play state accordingly. The application can also supply metadata to the remote control, such as album art or image, play state, track number and description, duration, genre, and more.

Lock screen music controls for any music app. Boss.

voodoojohn said:
So, if I'm understanding this correctly... there will be two variants of the phone. Both will have dual mode CDMA/GSM support, but one will be able to take advantage of LTE while the other will be able to take advantage of HSPA+. This means that I should be able to use either phone internationally, but in certain countries or on certain carriers I won't be able to tap 3.5/4G speeds. Could someone correct me if I'm mistaken?

Seems there's two models, one with LTE and one without. I think the one without LTE supports CDMA/GSM Pentaband, but no LTE and is slightly thinner.

Cipherr

Keep watching the videos and Im still not seeing graphical hitches nor lag. Nothing here to suggest to me that hardware acceleration is not helping. Its remarkably smooth. I downloaded the freaking videos and put them through Avidemux and Jasc just to check the frames and make slowmo GIF's and I still absolutely cannot find the stutter and lag in transitions that people are saying they see. It is extremely clear that hardware acceleration is in, and helping.

Its late I gotta get some sleep. lol.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Copernicus said:
Not sure if this stuff should on the android ot, but whatever:

AWESOME STYLUS STUFF

Mouse/keyboard/stylus support for extra specialized buttons.

Lock screen music controls for any music app. Boss.

Seems there's two models, one with LTE and one without. I think the one without LTE supports CDMA/GSM Pentaband, but no LTE and is slightly thinner.

Oh my god, that's fantastic news. Can't wait for my thinkpad to get ICS.

Al-ibn Kermit

BoboBrazil said:
Whoa, that's way too long. New Iphone and other nicer devices will be out by then. That's almost a year away.
It sucks but there's nothing you can do but wait if you want to get an LTE phone on Sprint. I'm not sure but maybe it is possible to buy the Galaxy Nexus unlocked and use 3G until Sprint's LTE network is launched (assuming the Galaxy Nexus's LTE radio can be used on a network other than Verizon's).

Copernicus said:
Ok, answer me this: if I buy the LTE version on contract from Verizon on November 10th, will I then be able to take it to Taiwan two days later and use it there? I dont care if I can tap LTE in Taiwan, as long as I can get 3G.

kehs

Banned
voodoojohn said:
Ok, answer me this: if I buy the LTE version on contract from Verizon on November 10th, will I then be able to take it to Taiwan two days later and use it there? I dont care if I can tap LTE in Taiwan, as long as I can get 3G.

I think, I'm not sure, that it is a world phone w/ 3g on some bands (not penta), but I'm not certain.

Ferrio

Banned
So should I get a Galaxy S2 or wait to see if this is available subsidized on AT&T? Also would i be able to install 4.0 on a galaxy S2? How do Android OS's work? I always considered you could just update to whatever you damned pleased?

kehs

Banned
Al-ibn Kermit said:
Does the LTE only work on Verizon's frequency?

I'm guessing they'll be setting up on request per region per carrier for LTE

toasty_T said:
Is there a list of phones that are getting ics as an update?

Officially?

-Nexus S

Up to the manufactures of the phones to decide (send me emails and ask for it)

ok i admit, ICS has potentials, most of the those new features are nice especially the data monitor feature which will come handy in Australia since we are all limited by mobile data on all carriers. The feature i see most potential is Android beam. I can see me and my friends sitting at a cafe and sharing things all day long. lol, If i don't have a gs2 i would jump on the Nexus for sure and since they are very similar in spec I would imagine ICS will run very smooth on the gs2.

I dont see any lag/stuttering on those engadet hands-on video, it looks so much smoother and snappier than gingerbread.

Thisismynext does a visual comparison of the 4S and Galaxy Nexus. They also do some comparison shots with their respective cameras, and IMO (quite shockingly), the GN comes out on top. Will have to wait for more blogs to post impressions of the camera, but it's looking quite promising so far.

The only thing I really find annoying about ICS (at least from what I've seen so far) is how large the dock icons are. Hopefully there's an option to shrink them.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
*turns off flux for a moment*

galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2.jpg

galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2x.jpg

not bad GN. Not bad.

edit: I guess it's not scientific enough though. The iphone seemed to catch a lot of the light from the window, making the guy a bit darker. and the opposite for the GN, in which you can't see the city at all.

I'd like to see comparisons at the same angle. They seem pretty close.

Bad_Boy said:

galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2.jpg

galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2x.jpg

not bad GN. Not bad.

edit: I guess it's not scientific enough though. The iphone seemed to catch a lot of the light from the window, making the guy a bit darker. and the opposite for the GN, in which you can't see the city at all.

I'd like to see comparisons at the same angle. They seem pretty close.
Good edit. The issue seems to be that the GN metered the shot based on the guy and the room in the foreground. The iPhone 4 seems to have metered the shot taking into account everything coming through the window.

Bad_Boy said:

photos comparison

not bad GN. Not bad.

Looks good - just loses some details, like in the buildings in the background.

I've never been that enamored by Android. My brother has a Samsung Infuse, which is gorgeous...but then you start using it. I've been watching some of these ICS videos, however, and it looks to be hitting all the right notes.

Love the (more subtle) animated backgrounds and the icon resizing. Love what looks to be better font rendering. Love the local-level speech recognition. mmmm

Bad_Boy said:

http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-sample-photo2x.jpg[IMG]

not bad GN. Not bad.

I'd like to see comparisons at the same angle. They seem pretty close.[/QUOTE]Terrible comparison.

Cronox

Banned
I'm a little confused on whether microSD will be available, as some places are reporting it will be. Perhaps different models for different carriers? Hoping AT&T model will have a slot for it :/

Edit: also have yet to hear about how loud the speakerphone is, or the earpiece.

Cipherr

Thats kind of the worst photo comparison I have ever seen.

Its like the 2 phones arent even focused right. 4S seems focused in the background, with the immediate room all washed out in darkness and you cant see crap, the GN seems focused on the guy, grabbing all the detail in the room, and washing out everything outside the window in the background.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
zbeeb said:
gooooood :)

Cipherr said:
Thats kind of the worst photo comparison I have ever seen.

Its like the 2 phones arent even focused right. 4S seems focused in the background, with the immediate room all washed out in darkness and you cant see crap, the GN seems focused on the guy, grabbing all the detail in the room, and washing out everything outside the window in the background.
Which I stated.

VPhys

ICS really impresses

Highlights for me

1)panoramic camera mode, this, even my regular digital camera wont do.
2)unlock to Camera - awesome, steals some of the iphone 4s thunder
3)webos style closing
4)faster browser

As for the phone, well there are pluses and minuses

the good:

notification LED
screen resolution and size
thinness
$249 for 16gb (not great, but i can live with this)

the bad:

no micro SD card, nooooooooooo!

Andrex said:
Oh no... SMH what's the point of that? It just creates a disconnect between user and action.
it makes perfect sense. it gets rid of things people aren't using at the time, but keeps them available. as soon as more RAM is *actually* needed, those things are the first to go instead of using other methods of deciding what to dump.

Top Bottom