• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

alternade

Vyse The Legend said:
Why? I'm ready to hurl my N1 into the trash. The G-Nex is a huge, massive upgrade.
Yeah my N1 is still getting me through the day but its time to retire it. You can be waiting for something better forever. The Galaxy nexus while not bleeding edge is still very high end and will have the most support of any android device in the foreseeable future.

6:40AM Andy just confirmed that Pittsburgh-based PittPatt, which Google acquired earlier this year, was responsible for the front-facing Face Unlock feature that we saw this morning. In fact, Google had to "slow down the process" because PittPatt's software was too fast to make folks believe that any security at all was involved.
I love shit like this.

Blackhead

Redarse
Galaxy Nexus vs IPhone 4S shots:

u0ZRv.jpg

LeleSocho

Banned
The GUI sucks ass... gingerbread imho was a lot better, the phone isn't bad but isn't the best you can find (aside from the screen)
The SoC is an exynos or an omap? Ihope exynos because ICS should be easier to port to my GS2

Greyface said:

SIZE DOES MATTER

Impressively, the phone on the left has roughly the same PPI as the phone on the right.

Not so impressive is the realization that the phone on the left is pushing more pixels (1280x720) with a much weaker GPU than the phone on the right (960x540). I hope the wimpy-ass GPU on the Galaxy Nexus won't become a liability within just a few months when the Galaxy S III debuts early next year in Korea.

gcubed

LeleSocho said:
The GUI sucks ass... gingerbread imho was a lot better, the phone isn't bad but isn't the best you can find (aside from the screen)
The SoC is an exynos or an omap? Ihope exynos because ICS should be easier to port to my GS2

if you think gingerbread as a UI was a lot better you are insane. I seriously don't know how you can say that with a straight face.

It wasnt even a UI. The design spread to nothing but the screen you were looking at at the time.

wario

Unknown Soldier said:
I hope the wimpy-ass GPU on the Galaxy Nexus won't become a liability within just a few months when the Galaxy S III debuts early next year in Korea.

that galaxy s ii lte hd samsung announced a few weeks back already has better specs than the galaxy nexus. too bad it's only for korea.

in respects to hardware specs, the galaxy nexus won't even be competition for the galaxy s iii next year.

hsukardi

Quick question, may be silly.

The AMOLED screen for Galaxy Nexus doesn't look as good as the PS Vita screen, which is laso AMOLED. The colors on the screen still look kind of off. Any reason for that?

Lesiroth

Two questions:

- When will ICS reach the Nexus S? I'm hoping it doesn't take till Christmas. I'm banking on a NexusS port for my GS.

- What happened to the menu button? There doesn't seem to be one in the new virtual bar, and if so, what will the menu button do on older phones running ICS? Will it become the multi-tasking button?

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Ice Cream Sandwich is H-A-W-T!

new nerd pick up line

"hey baby, lets touch devices"

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Lesiroth said:
Two questions:

- When will ICS reach the Nexus S? I'm hoping it doesn't take till Christmas. I'm banking on a NexusS port for my GS.

- What happened to the menu button? There doesn't seem to be one in the new virtual bar, and if so, what will the menu button do on older phones running ICS? Will it become the multi-tasking button?

yes, ICS will be available for Nexus S

thats a good question.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Lesiroth said:
Two questions:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/ice-cream-sandwich-update-roadmap-andy-rubin/

In an interview at the AsiaD conference, Andy has put that schedule at “a couple of weeks after” the Galaxy Nexus arrives on the market, which is tantamount to saying the ICS update will be out by mid-December at the latest. The brand new Nexus is poised to hit Asia, Europe and the US in November, and Rubin expects other devices to be enjoying the operating system it ships with shortly thereafter. He hasn’t told us which tablets or smartphones might be first (an educated guess would include the Nexus S among the prime candidates)

gcubed

hsukardi said:

The AMOLED screen for Galaxy Nexus doesn't look as good as the PS Vita screen, which is laso AMOLED. The colors on the screen still look kind of off. Any reason for that?
Besides most likely pentile? Google adjusts the colors on the nexus devices (did on nexus s) to represent better colors and less melting face amoled glow

Zeppu

bdizzle said:
Does anyone know if ICS is AOSP or not?

They said it will be opensourced soon after ICS is released for the Nexus S and other 2.3 devices which is a few weeks after the Prime launches.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
hsukardi said:

Without seeing both in person, I'm not sure I'd make any kind of judgement call on photos viewed on a monitor.

It's been said a few times, but it's really, really strange that they're actively refusing to announce carriers for the phone. Even during his talk with Walt, Andy Rubin would only name NTT docomo.

Are they just letting the carriers announce them at their own leisure? Or, is there something else at work here?

Vyse The Legend said:
It's been said a few times, but it's really, really strange that they're actively refusing to announce carriers for the phone. Even during his talk with Walt, Andy Rubin would only name NTT docomo.

Are they just letting the carriers announce them at their own leisure? Or, is there something else at work here?

Three (UK) have announced that they'll be carrying it.

http://blog.three.co.uk/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-is-coming-to-three/#more-2849

tino

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

Its a Hong Kong evebt. There should another US event to announce with Verizon.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Vyse The Legend said:

Three, Vodaphone and 02 have been announced as carriers in Euroland, I guess it's oblivious who the carrier in the US will be

tino said:
Its a Hong Kong evebt. There should another US event to announce with Verizon.

There definitely won't be another event just to announce carriers. It'll probably come via a press release at some point.

Three, Vodaphone and 02 have been announced as carriers in Euroland, I guess it's oblivious who the carrier in the US will be

That's the silly part. They emphasized LTE, even showed Verizon Wireless in their promo video. Yet, they refuse to confirm them as carriers.

I suspect it has to do with the RAZR announcement (Verizon told them to hold off). Or, there's some weight to the rumor that Verizon wanted to dictate the terms of the announcement and exclusivity of the device, but Google wouldn't let them.

jokkir

hsukardi said:

While I can't talk for the Galaxy Nexus since I haven't seen it in person, the screen for the Galaxy S2's screen is much better than the Vita. At least from what I've seen (I played Little Big Planet vita and wasn't really too impressed with the screen)

gcubed

Keyouta said:
Don't know if this was asked/answered before, but compared to the GPU in the Galaxy S2, how does the GN fare?

if teh only available metrics are to be trusted, same for same 75% of the mail or so i think. Although the S2 doesn't render anything in 720p so not sure if same for same is a worthwhile comparison

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gcubed said:
if teh only available metrics are to be trusted, same for same 75% of the mail or so i think. Although the S2 doesn't render anything in 720p so not sure if same for same is a worthwhile comparison

Wouldn't a more apt comparison be the Galaxy Note?

gcubed

shantyman said:
How about he cleans up his own house first before even commenting on the (much superior) competition?

wait, i thought you were being sarcastic and joking in your first post. You arent?

wow

DrFunk said:
Wouldn't a more apt comparison be the Galaxy Note?

do they have GLBenchmarks on that available yet? Was going by what i could compare

Husker86

shantyman said:
How about he cleans up his own house first before even commenting on the (much superior) competition?

Pardon some of us who don't think iOS is the pinnacle of aesthetically pleasing design. WP7 I can see an argument for, but don't personally agree with.

Top Bottom