• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Donos said:
Any details about the Ics hardware acceleration?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html

All Android-powered devices running Android 4.0 are required to support hardware-accelerated 2D drawing. Developers can take advantage of this to add great UI effects while maintaining optimal performance on high-resolution screens, even on phones. For example, developers can rely on accelerated scaling, rotation, and other 2D operations, as well as accelerated UI components such as TextureView and compositing modes such as filtering, blending, and opacity.

FindMyFarms said:
When will we find out what carriers this is going to? (US)

^This. I can't believe how they glossed over pricing and availability. They didn't even bother releasing official spec sheets, so we can get official specs (and supported radio bands), which has created some confusion with sites reporting discrepancies in storage capacity.

Donos

VPhys said:
ICS really impresses

Highlights for me

1)panoramic camera mode, this, even my regular digital camera wont do.
2)unlock to Camera - awesome, steals some of the iphone 4s thunder
3)webos style closing
4)faster browser

As for the phone, well there are pluses and minuses

the good:

notification LED
screen resolution and size
thinness
$249 for 16gb (not great, but i can live with this)

the bad:

no micro SD card, nooooooooooo!
Can't you already do unlock to camera with sense 3.0 and other launchers?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Looks great, both the phone and software. I think there's still a bit too much blue in the UI, but I'm impressed with the overall consistency and efficiency of the design changes. Very coherent. The face unlock is surprisingly fast, too.

I'm reading a lot about being able to swipe notifications away as something new, but that's been in Gingerbread (although it's kinda glitchy)...

XMonkey said:
Looks great, both the phone and software. I think there's still a bit too much blue in the UI, but I'm impressed with the overall consistency and efficiency of the design changes. Very coherent. The face unlock is surprisingly fast, too.

I'm reading a lot about being able to swipe notifications away as something new, but that's been in Gingerbread (although it's kinda glitchy)...

As far as I know, it wasn't an official feature. Most custom launchers do it, though, including the one that comes in Cyanogen Mod.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Vyse The Legend said:
As far as I know, it wasn't an official feature. Most custom launchers do it, though, including the one that comes in Cyanogen Mod.
Ah ok, that explains it. I'm running CM7 (although with the stock Gingerbread launcher..)

DaFish

VPhys said:
ICS really impresses

Highlights for me

1)panoramic camera mode, this, even my regular digital camera wont do.
2)unlock to Camera - awesome, steals some of the iphone 4s thunder
3)webos style closing
4)faster browser

As for the phone, well there are pluses and minuses

the good:

notification LED
screen resolution and size
thinness
$249 for 16gb (not great, but i can live with this)

the bad:

no micro SD card, nooooooooooo!

Source of pricing plz

Miguel

Divvy said:
It's going to be an upgrade from the 200 megs on my nexus one lol.
This. I am hating the game of musical chairs I have to play with my apps sometimes. And this is after installing CM7 which gave me all sorts of extra room compared to the stock OS

Circle T said:
I hope so, because as we all will pretty much attest to, the GVoice app is pretty shit. I just want Voicemails to be in the phone, where all my phone call stuff is, and my SMSs to be in the Messages app where those are. Let me just "Enable Google Voice" and then the phone does the rest. I've been using GVoice for years now, I'm hoping they get this working eventually.
that would be great.

reKon

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this, but other than ICS, the camera, and the design, the motorola razr has everything I want, lol:

- still very fast
- hdmi out
- micro sd slot
- probably a better battery life

jobber said:
That whole event was underwhelming. I mean all the shit they showed off as part of the new experience is stuff HTC was doing for a couple of years.

Contacts link with their social networks and IM..check
Panorama..check
Editing pictures...check
Adding favorite contacts as a widget on a home screen...check
The Sense UI even places your most used apps in it's own category in the 3.0 launcher

The only thing I liked was the addition of things like the GMail widget and placing the favorite apps in a folder as a widget. Rest of it is kinda...well.....disappointing.
Samsung did that stuff too.. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

Donos said:
Can't you already do unlock to camera with sense 3.0 and other launchers?
yea, also there are lockscreen replacements that offer this, like widgetlocker and agile lock. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

kinggroin said:
quick response is a motoblur feature

suck it bitches
TouchWiz has something similar too. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

fragmentation taking L's all night.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
reKon said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but other than ICS, the camera, and the design, the motorola razr has everything I want, lol:

- still very fast
- hdmi out
- micro sd slot
It's closer than I expected it to be, too.

Deciding factors would be the Nexus' 720p screen + Pure Google device for me. Moto locked the bootloader on the Droid Razr so I don't have a lot of hope in terms of it getting a pure ICS ROM (although I'm sure it will get an ICS update, just Moto'fied)

planar1280 said:
what if a stranger bumps my phone? will he access my phone?
well, you have to tap your screen to send after the bump.

reKon said:

- still very fast
- hdmi out
- micro sd slot
so you want a locked bootloader?

bedlamite

All I wanted in ICS was h/w acceleration, now to wait for a Cyanogen release

Just a personal observation, the body of the RAZR appeals to me more. The Nexus certainly has killer specs, but I've never liked roundish-looking phones

Maybe someone mentioned this here, but TmoNews is reporting that:

The really good news? The press release going around the room right now in Hong Kong has a T-Mobile compatible version on the sheet with the necessary AWS bands. That’s good news…as we await carrier announcements during the event beginning in just under 30 minutes.

It looks like that FCC version will hit the market... somewhere in November.

Better yet, here's the spec sheet itself:

Screen-Shot-2011-10-18-at-11.45.46-PM.jpg

Vyse The Legend said:
Why? I'm ready to hurl my N1 into the trash. The G-Nex is a huge, massive upgrade.
The only major problems I have with it are the crappy touchscreen and the lack of install space. Performance wise this thing is fine. Plus I'm not ready to commit to Android for another two years, thinking I might go Windows Phone if ICS doesn't blow me away in practice.

I'm hugely disappointed about the lack of Chrome on ICS too.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
Maybe someone mentioned this here, but TmoNews is reporting that:

It looks like that FCC version will hit the market... somewhere in November.

Better yet, here's the spec sheet itself:

Screen-Shot-2011-10-18-at-11.45.46-PM.jpg
So that was a half hour ago. We should be hearing about carriers any minute now?

gcubed

brotkasten said:
Is e android browser that crappy or why do you want Chrome so badly?

the gingerbread browser has some hiccups, but the honeycomb browser is about the best around for mobile devices (in benchmarking scores), so not sure.

Missed the first half of the conference so am watching it now, this Duarte chap is quite convincing. Him just taking the piss out of WP7 makes me want it less, argh! Also I totally agree on the fake wood, and metal shit that Apple does. Can't believe people put up with that crap.

kinggroin

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
Samsung did that stuff too.. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

yea, also there are lockscreen replacements that offer this, like widgetlocker and agile lock. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

TouchWiz has something similar too. BUT NOW IT'S UNIFIED!!!

fragmentation taking L's all night.

Ha. Yeah this will probably the first time I stick with the stock launcher on a phone.

Top Bottom