• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

tfur

rabhw said:
For anyone looking for some of the lag that people are talking about that seems ever-present in android:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/19/in...axy-nexus-and-ice-cream-sandwich-android-4-0/

Throughout this video there are a few occasions where the phone shits the bed a little, but the most obvious was starting at 13:50 near the end, when he opens the app drawer and then when he goes to close it, the phone chugs pretty hard and the icons are stuck on the screen for a second (in their giant, zoom-in state). For a second it looked like he launched "Car Mode" or something, then I realized what it actually was heh.

As others have noted it's an old build, so I pray things like this are fixed. I really really do :(

My ipad lags all of the time. Try doing ANY multitasking and switching between apps... it lags every time on ios during task switching.

Whats going on is that people are looking for something, because they need something to complain about.

nib95

Banned
Zozz said:
Really guys, why are you comparing the Nexus to the GS3? This is just bound to happen, you people are too set on specs that you forget the beauty of the Nexus line. It really is the one definitive phone that defines Android in this trench of madness. The rich OS and a great phone body; this phone will no doubt be a Verizon exclusive here in America because of their marketing power. Google and Samsung know this and we should as well. You have the already famous Galaxy name in conjunction with the Nexus brand coming under one brand, Google.

People are going to be exposed to the pure Google experience like never before. They're is going to be this popular "official" standard that many will get accustomed to. We're going to see on Android a strong pressured shift on OEMs and developers to recreate a better UI skins and apps experience for the consumer.

I totally agree with Andy Rubin: "I don’t think there should be apps specific to a tablet" You just have to create a huge overall standard for anyone that works on Android to rest upon. Personally, I'm very satisfied about the device and the OS. Good time ahead for the Android line.

That "Official Google standard" is now entrenched in the image of lacklustre hardware at end of the line specs or just before/beginning a rollout of new components, where you can almost guarantee the phone will be left in the dust hardware wise in next to no time at all. In other words, bad value for money which you'd only buy if you really want the vanilla Google experience and don't want to root.

What a horribel image to have for Google's flagship or own brand name. Doesn't exactly incite confidence about the brand if you ask me. You have to rely on the other vendors to actually push the UI hardware wise.

tfur said:
My ipad lags all of the time. Try doing ANY multitasking and switching between apps... it lags every time on ios during task switching.

Whats going on is that people are looking for something, because they need something to complain about.

My iPhone 4 lags from time to time too. That's appreciable based on apps, memory use etc. What is not acceptable is stutter or jitter on the home page of the UI (switching between pages). That just seems ridiculous and detracts from the smoothness of the touch experience.

Pctx

Banned
Also--- you people complaining about lag.... really?....really?...................................................................................................................................................................................................................really?

-Pyromaniac- said:
also what happens with the 4 buttons? on the Nexus S they are invisible until the phone wakes up, will they make it stay invisible and only use the 3 on screen buttons? Will the 3 on screen buttons not be there and the 4 bottom buttons used instead? Will both sets of buttons be there?
Don't know and won't be able to find out as apparently the emulator doesn't support the on screen buttons just yet.

pr0cs

-Pyromaniac- said:
and that's on a phone much better than my nexus S. Even if it's just ever so slightly there, that's pretty unacceptable at this point in time. Even the idiots at RIM seemed to not have this problem on their new hardware accelerated OS.
I doubt they'll ever get rid of that occasional lag. If they accomodated a more simple homescreen that didn't offer widgets, live wallpapers, a myriad of background running services, etc they might mitigate the occasional hiccup but I really think it's a side effect of making the OS flexible and allowing people to put whatever they want running whenever they want.

Seems like a tradeoff of freedom vs performance.

rabhw

tfur said:

I'm definitely not one of those people. I absolutely love android and the new look of ICS. 95% of the time it looks to run buttery smooth. I, like many, just wish they could iron out the 5% if possible. I've never used an ipad before so my IOS impressions are based on watching my friends play with their iphone 4's, which always seem to be fluid, I've never seen one misbehave before. Maybe I'd just need to use it daily to notice it.

gcubed

-Pyromaniac- said:
also what happens with the 4 buttons? on the Nexus S they are invisible until the phone wakes up, will they make it stay invisible and only use the 3 on screen buttons? Will the 3 on screen buttons not be there and the 4 bottom buttons used instead? Will both sets of buttons be there?

there is an option for hardware buttons or not. Hardware buttons - yes, doesnt show the onscreen buttons.

gcubed said:
there is an option for hardware buttons or not. Hardware buttons - yes, doesnt show the onscreen buttons.
So if I chose to keep the on screen buttons since that's how things were meant to be used, and I prefer that, will the 4 buttons at the bottom stay invisible?

gcubed

-Pyromaniac- said:
So if I chose to keep the on screen buttons since that's how things were meant to be used, and I prefer that, will the 4 buttons at the bottom stay invisible?

oh, no idea, its an option in the build of android, i dont believe its going to be a user changeable option unless you go with a custom ROM

Zozz

Banned
nib95 said:
That "Official Google standard" is now entrenched in the image of lacklustre hardware at end of the line specs where you can almost guarantee the phone will be left in the dust hardware wise in next to no time at all. In other words, bad value for money which you'd only buy if you really want the vanilla Google experience and don't want to root.

What a horribel image to have for Google's flagship or own brand name. Doesn't exactly incite confidence about the brand if you ask me. You have to rely on the other vendors to actually push the UI hardware wise.
You understand that you're in an incredibly small minority in the spectrum of it all? The majority of consumers just want something that appeals to them without being bogged by the clout of hardware specs, Google is finally creating a very marketable Android Os for a major market.

gcubed said:
oh, no idea, its an option in the build of android, i dont believe its going to be a user changeable option unless you go with a custom ROM
bah, who knows. Either way.

I NEED THIS NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWADSADAA.

gcubed

nib95 said:
That "Official Google standard" is now entrenched in the image of lacklustre hardware at end of the line specs or just before/beginning a rollout of new components, where you can almost guarantee the phone will be left in the dust hardware wise in next to no time at all. In other words, bad value for money which you'd only buy if you really want the vanilla Google experience and don't want to root.

My iPhone 4 lags from time to time too. That's appreciable based on apps, memory use etc. What is not acceptable is stutter or jitter on the home page of the UI (switching between pages). That just seems ridiculous and detracts from the smoothness of the touch experience.

the nexus is first and foremost a developer phone, and got an ounce of popularity because techie people want the updates first. Its not even particularly that popular of a device...

I think people don't know what a nexus device actually means.

nib95

Banned
Zozz said:
You understand that you're in an incredibly small minority in the spectrum of it all? The majority of consumers just want something that appeals to them without being bogged by the clout of hardware specs, Google is finally creating a very marketable Android Os for a major market.

But that's just it. The selling point of this phone (besides the screen) is the software. When it could have quite easily been both the software and hardware. In-fact, it really should have.

I guess I'll be able to take this whole 'marketable' thing seriously if the phone is cheap and/or competitively priced. Though I feel these days, at least in the UK, most phones are free on contracts anyway. So price doesn't really even factor in to it beyond profits for the Mobile Networks.

Pctx said:
Also--- you people complaining about lag.... really?....really?...................................................................................................................................................................................................................really?

Input lag?

kehs

Banned
Let me break down on screen keys and how they work with screens that have hardware buttons.

They are the same functions.

Any more questions?

wario said:
that galaxy s ii lte hd samsung announced a few weeks back already has better specs than the galaxy nexus. too bad it's only for korea.

in respects to hardware specs, the galaxy nexus won't even be competition for the galaxy s iii next year.
Qualcomm Snapdragon

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm just learning we missed out on the real hangout. :[
Kinda for the better, my connection couldn't have handled it and the conference video anyway. What was up with them being in front of that screen? It looked awful on the videofeed.

bedlamite

If you've been following the Android scene at all you must surely know the routine by now, as awesome as this phone is, something else even more awesome is probably going to get announced in a few weeks' time. 1080p pentacore phone from htc coming December! or some shit like that

Let's just accept this phone for what it is: the successor to the Nexus S (though that probably doesn't mean anything to the consumer).

kehs

Banned
I didn't like the corporate feel to this event, at all. I really prefer the Google I/O atmosphere with everyone geeking out over shit like chrome 2 phone.

I blame it on Duarte, he looks like the "I'm too cool for school" type of guy.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
I didn't like the corporate feel to this event, at all. I really prefer the Google I/O atmosphere with everyone geeking out over shit like chrome 2 phone.

I blame it on Duarte, he looks like the "I'm too cool for school" type of guy.

i blame it on Samsung

rabhw

I really wish Google would just sell this phone like they did the Nexus One. At least as an option...I just want to be able to go to google.com/phone. Pay them money, and I get a phone. Is that so hard to ask? Why all the horseshit with carriers and exclusivity and delayed rollouts to different regions.

I understand Google was maybe disappointed with N1 sales and decided an online-only approach didn't work, but I still think it should be an OPTION.

nib95

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Shouldn't matter to you...you decided already you are not getting right?

Yes :(

But I don't think I'll get the 4S either. So I'm just a bitter mobile phone user with a due upgrade at the moment lol. I think I'll wait for the Galaxy S3 or something else tbh. Have to hold off the temptation of buying a 4S.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Can't wait to see my iOS launcher in 720P!

Oh you! teehee!

nib95 said:
Yes :(

But I don't think I'll get the 4S either. So I'm just a bitter mobile phone user with a due upgrade at the moment lol. I think I'll wait for the Galaxy S3 or something else tbh. Have to hold off the temptation of buying a 4S.

The iPhone 4S is a damn good phone. But if you could hold off until Q1 2012 you might find something more WOW'ing that the Prime.

Yes, I'm fucking calling it PRIME!!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
It's gonna be so rad. I'm alittle upset there's no HDMI out directly though. -_-
Yeah, whats up with that? Thats like a pretty standard feature. And what about DLNA? Is that built in or do you need some app to run the service?

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah, whats up with that? Thats like a pretty standard feature. And what about DLNA? Is that built in or do you need some app to run the service?

Probably need an app for dlna, as for the HDMI you can probably do it with samsungs usb -> hdmi cable, but that's bullshit, dongles are bullshit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, dongles are for people who shop at walmart.

Crazyorloco

bedlamite said:
If you've been following the Android scene at all you must surely know the routine by now, as awesome as this phone is, something else even more awesome is probably going to get announced in a few weeks' time. 1080p pentacore phone from htc coming December! or some shit like that

Let's just accept this phone for what it is: the successor to the Nexus S (though that probably doesn't mean anything to the consumer).
Amen. Something better is always around the corner. I remember my HTC sensation was the cream of the crop for about a month, but I'm pleased with it though.

The galaxy nexus's screen is tempting me to go to Verizon. I hope other carrier's get it.

nib95 said:
But that's just it. The selling point of this phone (besides the screen) is the software. When it could have quite easily been both the software and hardware. In-fact, it really should have.

I guess I'll be able to take this whole 'marketable' thing seriously if the phone is cheap and/or competitively priced. Though I feel these days, at least in the UK, most phones are free on contracts anyway. So price doesn't really even factor in to it beyond profits for the Mobile Networks.

dude just stop it! i know your standard is your iphone 4 but the iphone 4 dont even hold a candle on what my GS2 is doing in the background, all i got with the iphone is that is just icons and of course is gonna move smoother between page cos the icon is static with android and its widgets and background data; its dynamic and of course there is gonna be some stutter but on the Galaxy Nexus is barely noticeable, u make a big deal of a small trivial things while underplay all the major features of ICS, i had the iphone 3gs for 2 years and it lags like shit when i have a few apps open, with my GS2 i can open 10 apps and i cant notice any lag at all. Can the the 4s play wmv, avi, divx, or mkv natively or u have to use handbrake to convert them to mp4?

kehs

Banned
Crazyorloco said:
Amen. Something better is always around the corner. I remember my HTC sensation was the cream of the crop for about a month, but I'm pleased with it though.

The galaxy nexus's screen is tempting me to go to Verizon. I hope other carrier's get it.

They will. Google didn't get Samsung to build a pentaband HSPA+ compatible to keep it on a CDMA network.

It's just a matter of licensing and marketing arrangements at this point.

sleeping_dragon said:
dude just stop it! i know your standard is your iphone 4 but the iphone 4 dont even hold a candle on what my GS2 is doing in the background, all i got with the iphone is that is just icons and of course is gonna move smoother between page cos the icon is static with android and its widgets and background data; its dynamic and of course there is gonna be some stutter but on the Galaxy Nexus is barely noticeable, u make a big deal of a small trivial things while underplay all the major features of ICS, i had the iphone 3gs for 2 years and it lags like shit when i have a few apps open, with my GS2 i can open 10 apps and i cant notice any lag at all. Can the the 4s play wmv, avi, divx, or mkv natively or u have to use handbrake to convert them to mp4?
4/10, you need to learn from Copernicus.

Top Bottom