• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa I hadn't even considered how awesome this phone will be for ebooks.

rabhw

Screencapped the second where they showed the LED:

TiKwJ.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No shit, I wonder if it actually kinda fades out towards the edges like that. o_O
I feel like we've approached the technological singularity. Laptops and tablets are becoming so irrelevant.

Yesterday I was playing with the 4S and was shocked to find out it didn't have a download manager. What if you need to download something? What the hell?

JonnyBrad

Am i right in thinking there is still no zoom in the gmail app? In the conference when they said they had added the most requested feature to gmail i thought it was going to be that but no, they gave us bloody 30 day offline mails.

For reference can you pinch zoom in the gmail app on honeycomb?

kehs

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
Am i right in thinking there is still no zoom in the gmail app? In the conference when they said they had added the most requested feature to gmail i thought it was going to be that but no, they gave us bloody 30 day offline mails.

Nope, the email just fits to the width of the panel.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The menu buttons fade to just a shadow in certain apps. :]

Pctx

Banned
JonnyBrad said:

No you can't, just checked.

Fake edit: Corpy rings true.

rabhw said:
For anyone looking for some of the lag that people are talking about that seems ever-present in android:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/19/in...axy-nexus-and-ice-cream-sandwich-android-4-0/

Throughout this video there are a few occasions where the phone shits the bed a little, but the most obvious was starting at 13:50 near the end, when he opens the app drawer and then when he goes to close it, the phone chugs pretty hard and the icons are stuck on the screen for a second (in their giant, zoom-in state). For a second it looked like he launched "Car Mode" or something, then I realized what it actually was heh.

As others have noted it's an old build, so I pray things like this are fixed. I really really do :(

Maybe I'm missing some seconds on that video but I don't see any second of lag there. All I see is him missing the button twice and activates it on the third try with a flash of big icons for a frame or two until it's closed? Seems like more of a display bug than UI lag to me.

Unless he's activating the button on the first try and it doesn't process until the third press, that would be some huge lag.

Currently an iOS user so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

SimleuqiR

The keyboard and text selection has been hugely improved. You can now long press anywhere on the phone to select text, and you get a contextual menu for copy, paste, and sharing options. Matias says he’ll put the ICS keyboard up against any other virtual keyboard on the market in terms of accuracy and correction.

Lots of trash talking...can't wait to try it. The Gingerbread keyboard was a big improvement and this, from the looks of it, seems like leaps and bounds better.

kehs

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
Does is scale them at all (like if someone embeds something bigger than the res of the panel)

Attachments open up in the gallery, otherwise I think it's just scaled to total width of everything, I don't recall ever panning through an email.

unrenowned said:
Maybe I'm missing some seconds on that video but I don't see any second of lag there. All I see is him missing the button twice and activates it on the third try with a flash of big icons for a frame or two until it's closed? Seems like more of a display bug than UI lag to me.

Unless he's activating the button on the first try and it doesn't process until the third press, that would be some huge lag.

Currently an iOS user so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Guys hits home twice in succession, launcher bugs out for 1.2 seconds, and you see the icons really up close.

That's literally the lag people are talking about. It's ridiculous people are pointing that out.

Pctx

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Lots of trash talking...can't wait to try it. The Gingerbread keyboard was a big improvement and this, from the looks of it, seems like leaps and bounds better.
So better than a Blackberry Bold 9300?

rabhw

unrenowned said:

I'm not sure about whether the first second or third button press was the one that registered, I was assuming it was the third. Either way the "zoom out" animation for the app drawer clearly got choked up and could only manage to show a frame or two of it before it disappeared.

Anyways I don't want to nitpick, my post was mainly to demonstrate there is some persistence of the UI lag that people were complaining about, the severity of which is hard to determine.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the death of the physical keyboard is indeed sad. But all these new features and UI changes are a good tradeoff.

Pctx

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
He did say "virtual keyboard", not sure what a Blackberry Bold 9300 is, but I assume it doesn't have a virtual keyboard.
So not as good. Shucks. In all seriousness though, it looked damn impressive... even a step up from the HC keyboard.

Lesiroth

Ferrio said:
I was going to flash a rom on it anyways. That's why I'm confused why people saying you have to wait, you can't just flash a 4.0 version on the thing?
For an ICS rom to come out for any other device, they'd first to have to release the source, which they said will take a few weeks at least(probably December at the least).

Ok so there's supposed to be a closing animation when pressing the home button. In that case I really understand the complaints.

It's basically a lack of smoothness/fluidity compared to iOS/WP7 in transitional effects?

Jtwo said:
No shit, I wonder if it actually kinda fades out towards the edges like that. o_O
I feel like we've approached the technological singularity. Laptops and tablets are becoming so irrelevant.

Yesterday I was playing with the 4S and was shocked to find out it didn't have a download manager. What if you need to download something? What the hell?
if it's not on the Apple App Store, you don't need to download it.

JonnyBrad said:

oh man, at that exact same point, I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

FINALLY!!! PINCH TO ZOOM!!! ... wait ... what !?!??!?

SimleuqiR

sneaky77 said:
kinda weird they are putting it on the bottom

You don't find it weird if you are a Nexus One owner.

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, that and the headphone jack... wtf guys!?

and did anyone find out if it had MHL?

I don't use the headphone jack on my Nexus One, but when I place it in my pockets the phone's top is facing down. So a headphone jack at the bottom seems logical to me.

dankir

So I'm definitely jumping on board with this. I'm sure this will LTE enabled for Rogers in Canada. Going to get all the goodies when I upgade!

What a fucking jump from 3 and half year old iPhone 3G lol.

kehs

Banned
yeah, that and the headphone jack... wtf guys!?

and did anyone find out if it had MHL?

They sorta had to throw everything down there to get all skinnified up top. I approve. The thickest part of this phone is the same thickness as the thinnest part of the Nexus S.

It better have MHL, I swear to Zeus if it doesnt..... I guess I won't be using MHL.

(MHL allows usb to hdmi connection)

Gwanatu T

Ferrio said:
I was going to flash a rom on it anyways. That's why I'm confused why people saying you have to wait, you can't just flash a 4.0 version on the thing?
Well that's the thing, the rom itself has to be built for the specific device. It's the curse of open hardware OS's like Windows and Android, and in this case there are no "generic" drivers for Android releases. Would be nice though!

Gwanatu T said:
Well that's the thing, the rom itself has to be built for the specific device. It's the curse of open hardware OS's like Windows and Android, and in this case there are no "generic" drivers for Android releases. Would be nice though!
But Windows installs off the same disc onto any hardware. I don't really get it either to be honest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm any news on the enhanced HTML5 capabilities of the browser?

Stock browser on 2.3/3.0 is the pits for web developers.

kehs

Banned
The Friendly Monster said:
But Windows installs off the same disc onto any hardware. I don't really get it either to be honest.

Microsoft works with all these component makers to create compatible drivers before launching the OS. All those little parts are included with the OS.

Android is the opposite. It's device independent.

Andrex said:
Hrm any news on the enhanced HTML5 capabilities of the browser?

Stock browser on 2.3/3.0 is the pits for web developers.
Android Browser

The Browser application adds the following features to support web applications:

Updated V8 JavaScript compiler for faster performance
Plus other notable enhancements carried over from Android 3.0 are now available for handsets:
Support for fixed position elements on all pages
HTML media capture
Device orientation events
CSS 3D transformations
Copernicus said:
Microsoft works with all these component makers to create compatible drivers before launching the OS. All those little parts are included with the OS.

Android is the opposite. It's device independent.
Ah ok, it does make you wonder how long it would take a company to bring the newest OS version to their device if they were totally dedicated rather than skinning their shit over the top. Surely that would be a selling point in itself no?

kehs

Banned
Has there been any picture samples posted from the Nexus Prime yet?

Ah ok, it does make you wonder how long it would take a company to bring the newest OS version to their device if they were totally dedicated rather than skinning their shit over the top. Surely that would be a selling point in itself no?

It usually takes CM about four weeks to PORT over all their additions get a super stable beta out, and then like two more weaks to finalized, and they do that as a hobby.

People usually build a vanilla version of the rom within days of open source btw.

These companies should be putting this shit out alot faster, especially since they actually have access to early code.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Android Browser

The Browser application adds the following features to support web applications:

Updated V8 JavaScript compiler for faster performance
Plus other notable enhancements carried over from Android 3.0 are now available for handsets:
Support for fixed position elements on all pages
HTML media capture
Device orientation events
CSS 3D transformations

:/

So nothing new for the browser in the 9 months since HC's release. Fantastic.

Gwanatu T

if it's not on the Apple App Store, you don't need to download it.

oh man, at that exact same point, I THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

FINALLY!!! PINCH TO ZOOM!!! ... wait ... what !?!??!?
You and me both. I've never understood that inconsistency. One of the weirder things was the last big GMail update took away the option to make the notification sounds different than whatever you have set for system notifications, so now I have no idea audibly if I'm receiving an email or a text.

Gwanatu T

Well, I guess it might but Windows will run very poorly if you dont have proper drivers. MS improved that drastically with Windows 7. Remember Vista? Yeah...different discussion though, wayyyy OT.

Gwanatu T

Copernicus said:
Has there been any picture samples posted from the Nexus Prime yet?

It usually takes CM about four weeks to PORT over all their additions get a super stable beta out, and then like two more weaks to finalized, and they do that as a hobby.

People usually build a vanilla version of the rom within days of open source btw.

These companies should be putting this shit out alot faster, especially since they actually have access to early code.
Yep, and this is what has pissed me off since day 1. How long did it take the almighty HTC to get Gingerbread out for my G2? 7 months. It was out within weeks of the source being released thanks to the community.

Husker86

Gwanatu T said:
You and me both. I've never understood that inconsistency. One of the weirder things was the last big GMail update took away the option to make the notification sounds different than whatever you have set for system notifications, so now I have no idea audibly if I'm receiving an email or a text.
Huh? I can change to a different ringtone from within the Gmail app and no updates are available.

On Gingerbread ROM for Thunderbolt.

rabhw

Andrex said:

I'd say proper support for fixed-position elements is a pretty big deal. The jquery mobile team has worked their asses off to work around android's janky ass support for fixed pos elements, and it STILL sucked.

It'll make emulating native apps much easier (top + bottom toolbars). Jquery's current solution was to auto-hide fixed position elements while scrolling, and then fade them back in when scrolling stops (so they can recalculate top/bottom positions).

Ferrio

Banned
I'm so torn.

Opinions on what I should do?

Facts:
-I can only use AT&T (plan is up)
-I will only get a phone if it subsidized
-Currently have an Iphone 3gs
-4g isn't available in my area
-I plan to root the phone if I got android

So do I get a Galaxy S2, wait for Galaxy Nexus in hopes it's subsidized by AT&T and decent price, or get a Iphone 4s?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Jtwo said:
Yeah, the death of the physical keyboard is indeed sad. But all these new features and UI changes are a good tradeoff.
It isn't sad, its downright fucking stupid. Im enjoying my Droid 3 because the keyboard is fantastic... but this phone literally has the market cornered, you don't have any choice if you want a competent smartphone with a real keyboard. It boggles my mind that it has no competition.

SimleuqiR

Andrex said:

I think the Android Browser is a dead horse. Why waste more resources on it when you have Chrome? All we can hope is that Chrome mobile is release in the next few months.

Top Bottom