• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

sneaky77

Most people don't update their phone every 2 months, so for me the jump between my original droid to the Razr or Prime which have similar specs, is a huge one.

kehs

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:
im not a troll. :p

You say troll, I say an empathetic individual who enjoys withdrawing emotional responses from others in order to further expand their world view.

Tomatoe Tomato

Gwanatu T

jobber said:
Firefox does all that stuff already
Yes, except Firefox on the desktop has become exceedingly slower and slower with each release (I use it on multiple computers with many different specs), and the Android version doesnt have Flash support, which makes it useless. I'm not sure what their issue with that is, but Opera Mobile is superior in every way. I just cant wait to see what Google brings with Chrome for Android.

Ferrio

Banned
Any idea when they announce carriers/pricing? I'd like to get a new phone asap, but holding off until I can make a decision between Nexus or Galaxy S2?

nib95

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:
dude just stop it! i know your standard is your iphone 4 but the iphone 4 dont even hold a candle on what my GS2 is doing in the background, all i got with the iphone is that is just icons and of course is gonna move smoother between page cos the icon is static with android and its widgets and background data; its dynamic and of course there is gonna be some stutter but on the Galaxy Nexus is barely noticeable, u make a big deal of a small trivial things while underplay all the major features of ICS, i had the iphone 3gs for 2 years and it lags like shit when i have a few apps open, with my GS2 i can open 10 apps and i cant notice any lag at all. Can the the 4s play wmv, avi, divx, or mkv natively or u have to use handbrake to convert them to mp4?

Raaaawr!

Lol. I actually think the GS2 is overall a better phone than the iPhone 4. Though I'm not sure about 4S vs GS2. Point is, my intent is to switch to Android, so stop barking. But honestly, the stutter from the UI needs to be gone. It's annoying.

Gwanatu T

Ferrio said:
Any idea when they announce carriers/pricing? I'd like to get a new phone asap, but holding off until I can make a decision between Nexus or Galaxy S2?
Just hold off, it's 3-4 weeks away. ICS will be worth it, at Samsung's rate you might have ICS on the GS2 by next summer if the past has anything to do with it. They are just now rolling out Gingerbread to the US Galaxy S line. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :/.

SimleuqiR

Ferrio

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
Just hold off, it's 3-4 weeks away. ICS will be worth it, at Samsung's rate you might have ICS on the GS2 by next summer if the past has anything to do with it. They are just now rolling out Gingerbread to the US Galaxy S line. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :/.

So.. you have to wait till the manufacturer releases the OS? I was always under the assumption it was something you could just on the damn phone yourself. Either way I'd hate to wait 4 weeks then find out that this phone isn't available at AT&T subsidized.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Josh Tops is really fellating Matias in this interview opener. I mean, I'm all for mancrushes but seriiiiiiiiiioooously... take it down a notch.

Gwanatu T said:
Where did you find Roboto from? I'd love to change the font on my phone to see what the fuss is all about.
http://briefmobile.com/download-roboto-font-from-android-4-0

I think their teardown of it is a bit daft, looks fairly consistent to me, just taking the less geometric letters of a Helvetica style font and making them conform, the fact that they look slightly like letters of some completely different typeface shouldn't be surprising. I mean it's nothing like as inconsistent as arial.

nib95

Banned
The Friendly Monster said:
Stuck roboto into my game, looks pretty nice so I think I'll stick with it.

It absolutely needs capitalization but not all caps to look right though for me.

Typography geeks hate it - http://typographica.org/2011/on-typography/roboto-typeface-is-a-four-headed-frankenstein/

Meh pretentiousness. So what if it's a mix of things? I feel like they took the nice bits of certain shapes and moulded them together for additional digital (not necessarily print) cohesiveness or visual accessibility.

I like the new type face personally. Not all of it, but certain elements I actually prefer to Helvetica and/or Arial. It's like more of the old but with a slight modern twist.

kinggroin

Banned
Jtwo said:
So I'm just learning we missed out on the real hangout. :[
Kinda for the better, my connection couldn't have handled it and the conference video anyway. What was up with them being in front of that screen? It looked awful on the videofeed.

I initiated a hangout that ended up with about 6 or so people (jumping in and out) while streaming the conference (and the hangout participant streaming webcams) on a PC...

...tethered to my Droid X's 3g connection. No hitches in the hangout or video stream.

Amazing what you can get out of the shitty verizon cdma network when there's some horsepower behind it all.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whooaa thats hardcore. Yeah, I had a 4 way hangout going and the quality of the feed took a terrible dive. It looked fine once we stopped hanging out.

Um, oh! Yeah I've always been really impressed by Verizons network while tethering.

Gwanatu T

I think their teardown of it is a bit daft, looks fairly consistent to me, just taking the less geometric letters of a Helvetica style font and making them conform, the fact that they look slightly like letters of some completely different typeface shouldn't be surprising. I mean it's nothing like as inconsistent as arial.
Excellent, thank you. I'll change it in a minute!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with one of the comments that Droid Sans looks much better (but still not amazing). I strongly dislike the new font.

So will my laptop support wifi direct? I've never heard of it. I absolutely love stuff that connects my devices together. Chrome to phone and installing Android apps from the desktop still seem like magic to me. Once Apple gets them and pushes them as the next big thing everyone will be going absolutely crazy.

Also the NFC stuff looks amazing, what happens when both people have content to share? The opportunities for sharing content are just amazing, on top of gaming ideas...

Zefah said:
I agree with one of the comments that Droid Sans looks much better (but still not amazing). I strongly dislike the new font.
Horses for courses, I think Roboto is way nicer than Droid Sans, maybe I'm just bored of it though. I'm a big proponent of changing things to make them feel fresh.

Gunsmithx

Really stoked about this phone and software.

If I end up switching to Verizon to grab this phone is there any kind of website where I can grab reviews of networks in my area? No one I know uses Verizon and I don't want to switch if it's bad, though since I live in a major city it should all be the same?

Gwanatu T

Ferrio said:
So.. you have to wait till the manufacturer releases the OS? I was always under the assumption it was something you could just on the damn phone yourself. Either way I'd hate to wait 4 weeks then find out that this phone isn't available at AT&T subsidized.
This is one of the few issues I do have with Android. Unless you have a Nexus device, you have to wait until the manufacturer releases a software update for your phone. The only other choice you have is to root the phone and flash a new ROM (a custom-built version of Android) on to your device. I prefer to do that, but I'm also a tech geek that likes to fiddle. For the 90% of the other noobs out there, there is no other option, unfortunately, and the consortium that was formed earlier this year was supposed to remedy this by making manufacturers pledge to put updates out weeks after Google updates Android rather than months like has been done in the past.

kehs

Banned
Typographers hating typography.

I need to join some typography forums, that has got be super entertaining.

I'm imagining posts like this:

"Look at that serif, are you fucking insane? It's way to wide for that stem, and don't even get me started on the dimensions of the inner O's, Let me ask you something, did your mother huff paint while she was pregnant, or did she just kern her legs a little too much with a crackhead?"

Copernicus said:
Typographers hating typography.

I need to join some typography forums, that has got be super entertaining.

I'm imagining posts like this:

"Look at that serif, are you fucking insane? It's way to wide for that stem, and don't even get me started on the dimensions of the inner O's, Let me ask you something, did your mother huff paint while she was pregnant, or did she just kern her legs a little too much with a crackhead?"
Is that your post or theirs?

https://plus.google.com/111962077049890418486/posts/QgxoPi5d55u

Verizon version? Doesn't look too thick :)

verizon-galaxy-nexus-600x365.jpg

kehs

Banned
Is that your post or theirs?

Just typed it up, is it convincing?

edit:

Oh god this killed me from that link, the first line:

Just in time for Halloween, from the depths of the Android 4.0 laboratory emerges a frightening cross-breed creature called Roboto.

tfur

I like the reply posted in regards to the Roboto criticism:

Update: Robertson has replied with his rationale for the design:

Here’s the thinking with the open terminals on the ‘e’ and ‘g’. It has been the hard and fast rule for sans serif types that the a, c, e, g and s must agree as to their angle of exit. Interestingly, this is not the case for serif types, and certainly isn’t true for any kind of handwriting. It is common for the lower case ‘e’ to be more open than the ‘a’ for example. If there is a single story ‘g’ it will often remain open, or even curve back the other way (up until it forms a two story g).

As I experimented with this thinking I realized a couple of things:

1 / I have always hated the way Helvetica and all of her acolytes close the terminal on the ‘g’. It is just so awkward. You can’t do it with a pen; the terminal always wants to end somewhere other than straight up (note that this is not true of s or a). It’s like a ‘t’ or ‘f’ that hooks all the way around. It’s just gross. It’s even worse with the geometric bowl on top. You get such an awkward double curve. I equally hate any calligraphic ‘g’ that closes with a ball terminal. (I’m looking at you, Georgia italic!)

2 / I discovered that the type with a closed ‘a’ and ’s’ and an open ‘e’ and ‘g’ has a really beautiful texture across longer blocks of text. The rhythm has this kind of a swirl that is actually really nice to read. You are correct that Fudge and Marshmallow may initially disrupt some expectations, but over the course of actually using the font, you forget that ‘e’ is decreed to be closed like ‘a’ (it doesn’t want to be anyway and ‘g’ needs a friend). Despite the PR speak, the variation in exit vectors does make for a more cheerful type.

As for the other two monster heads, I’m ignoring the part about the straight sided caps, since I don’t find it a problem that the lower case aren’t equally straight sided. Also, I find your disagreement with the K hardly worthy of justifying another head; possibly a finger or toe. Now, how to respond to all of the silly hipsters that think any grotesk is an Arialesque affront to Helvetica…

Note that there are still some bugs in the font that has been extracted from the SDK. Many of these have been corrected already, and you can expect to see some fixes to minor kerning issues and some diacritical misalignments. Also, since Android doesn’t use much of the nastiness that is TrueType hinting, Roboto is not hinted to support older Windows browsers, for example.

http://typographica.org/2011/on-typography/roboto-typeface-is-a-four-headed-frankenstein/

Ferrio

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
This is one of the few issues I do have with Android. Unless you have a Nexus device, you have to wait until the manufacturer releases a software update for your phone. The only other choice you have is to root the phone and flash a new ROM (a custom-built version of Android) on to your device. I prefer to do that, but I'm also a tech geek that likes to fiddle. For the 90% of the other noobs out there, there is no other option, unfortunately, and the consortium that was formed earlier this year was supposed to remedy this by making manufacturers pledge to put updates out weeks after Google updates Android rather than months like has been done in the past.

I was going to flash a rom on it anyways. That's why I'm confused why people saying you have to wait, you can't just flash a 4.0 version on the thing?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man, I don't see how any of the minute differences in the fonts could be cause for such outrage, but I am certainly not well versed in font specifics.

Cipherr

Akkad said:
Why won't Google get other phone manufacturers to make other versions of the Nexus?

One manufacturer partners with Google per year. Other than that Im not sure what you mean. Im sure the manufacturers could choose to make their own hardware and ship Vanilla Android on it if they wanted, but they dont want to do that. They want to add their Sense, and Touchwiz crap to it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That 4g logo is fucking ugly. The way to rub those off is with sugar cubes, right? You tape around it and then rub sugar cubes on the branding until it goes away. Anyone done that?

gcubed

Jtwo said:
That 4g logo is fucking ugly. The way to rub those off is with sugar cubes, right? You tape around it and then rub sugar cubes on the branding until it goes away. Anyone done that?

thats one less sugar cube for your absinthe drink, hipster

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
All hipsters are trying to do is emulate MY tastes.
noodle farm

sneaky77

my main question is will this have a notification light? My upgrade is either the Razr or this, leaning toward Prime for more updated OS more vanilla experience, the specs are good, the phone is sexy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the interview with Matias specifically points out an RGB notification light beneath the screen. Just like all the rumors.

But I don't see it anywhere else.

Ok watching the hands on at TIMN, and Vlad points out the LED> He says its hidden. :eek:

Zombie James said:
qdC0t.png

Thank you.

edit: Really wish there was an option to make the icons smaller. Not finding anything like that in the emulator.

Nice find. Lots of little stuff they didn't talk about during the presentation. Just need to debug/optimise like crazy for release in the next few weeks and we are good to go!

rabhw

I remember seeing the notification LED glowing in a video, but I can't remember where now. It looked beautiful, it's hidden under the black bezel at the bottom, and it glows "through" it. It looks really nice and soft and natural.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
I remember seeing the notification LED glowing in a video, but I can't remember where now. It looked beautiful, it's hidden under the black bezel at the bottom, and it glows "through" it. It looks really nice and soft and natural.

It was during the presentation by Samsung...you know they had one of their executive robots talk about the hardware (the guy that didn't move his arms one bit). He pointed out how the notification light was hidden away until it was required.

Which is awesome! This phone truly feels like the Nexus One's sibling.

Some time during this presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ts5WBm0tXzI#t=837s

He points out the notification light.

Top Bottom