• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
Ferrio said:
I'm so torn.

Opinions on what I should do?

Facts:
-I can only use AT&T (plan is up)
-I will only get a phone if it subsidized
-Currently have an Iphone 3gs
-4g isn't available in my area
-I plan to root the phone if I got android

So do I get a Galaxy S2, wait for Galaxy Nexus in hopes it's subsidized by AT&T and decent price, or get a Iphone 4s?

Wait till they announce release plans for the phone.

SimleuqiR said:
I think the Android Browser is a dead horse. Why waste more resources on it when you have Chrome? All we can hope is that Chrome mobile is release in the next few months.
I do like the desktop page request and save for offline reading ideas, I'd use both a lot.

MiniKelly

Ferrio said:
I'm so torn.

Facts:

So do I get a Galaxy S2, wait for Galaxy Nexus in hopes it's subsidized by AT&T and decent price, or get a Iphone 4s?
Definitely get the galaxy s2 available right now.

Ferrio said:
I'm so torn.

Facts:

If you game at all and don't mind using iTunes then get a 4S.

kehs

Banned
Ferrio said:
Which we don't know when will be? Lovely.

They've said November. So a few weeks. You can roll month to month after your contract is up without any issues as long as you stay up to date with your account, if that's something you're worried about.

Ferrio

Banned
The Friendly Monster said:
If you game at all and don't mind using iTunes then get a 4S.

I have quite a few games on my iphone currently. But I * despise* itunes, and not a fan of apple at all.

They've said November. So a few weeks. You can roll month to month after your contract is up without any issues as long as you stay up to date with your account, if that's something you're worried about.

I just need to get a new phone by december. Also I don't wanna get in this "I'll wait for the next phone" bullshit. Wait a month... find out nexus isn't available... then someone will be like "Wait for the S3!".

kehs

Banned
Ferrio said:
I have quite a few games on my iphone currently. But I * despise* itunes, and not a fan of apple at all.

I just need to get a new phone by december. Also I don't wanna get in this "I'll wait for the next phone" bullshit. Wait a month... find out nexus isn't available... then someone will be like "Wait for the S3!".

Eh, all leaks point to it launching November 10 on Verizon. If it's exclusive well know then, if it's not, we'll also know then.

The S3 is at least a year away for the US.

Copernicus said:
Eh, all leaks point to it launching November 10 on Verizon. If it's exclusive well know then, if it's not, we'll also know then.

The S3 is at least a year away for the US.

Probably discussed, but bad news for US customers.

Samsung's Facebook confirmed Verizon first, and it "may" come to other carriers later.

I sincerely hope that only refers to getting it subsidized. Sell me the pentaband version online, Samsung!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
rabhw said:
I'd say proper support for fixed-position elements is a pretty big deal. The jquery mobile team has worked their asses off to work around android's janky ass support for fixed pos elements, and it STILL sucked.

It'll make emulating native apps much easier (top + bottom toolbars). Jquery's current solution was to auto-hide fixed position elements while scrolling, and then fade them back in when scrolling stops (so they can recalculate top/bottom positions).

That is good but it's like, required functionality. It's like complaining IE6 didn't do PNGs right. It's something you're glad is fixed but something that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I want new features. "New" meaning features that have been in Chrome for like a year and a half.

SimleuqiR said:
I think the Android Browser is a dead horse. Why waste more resources on it when you have Chrome? All we can hope is that Chrome mobile is release in the next few months.

We can only hope. IE10 will surpass the stock browser if Google doesn't pay attention.

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
That is good but it's like, required functionality. It's like complaining IE6 didn't do PNGs right. It's something you're glad is fixed but something that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I want new features. "New" meaning features that have been in Chrome for like a year and a half.

We can only hope. IE10 will surpass the stock browser if Google doesn't pay attention.

Stock browser firmly sits next to the calculator and the email app on AOSP, now.

I expect the Chrome Android browser to be packaged alongside the Market in the near future.

----

You better offer this thing for sale at Best Buy Unlocked GSM, Google!
LLShC.gif

Pctx

Banned
I will buy this son of a bitch phone unlocked Day 1 to use on AT&T. Verizon and their capped data plans can go to hell.

Pctx said:
I will buy this son of a bitch phone unlocked Day 1 to use on AT&T. Verizon and their capped data plans can go to hell.

I'm already researching the best, most cost-efficient way to import it; I'm convinced Best Buy and Samsung won't offer a way to get the GSM version online in the US. It appears that Canada is the best way; hopefully, Best Buy CA carries it on day 1.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
I'm already researching the best, most cost-efficient way to import it; I'm convinced Best Buy and Samsung won't offer a way to get the GSM version online in the US. It appears that Canada is the best way; hopefully, Best Buy CA carries it on day 1.

Since dream owes me a touchpad, I'll settle for him shipping me a Prime, good idea.

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Let me know man and I'll hop in line with you.... I could care less about having to pay an import tax.... it's worth it!

Trouble

Banned
Ferrio said:
I'm so torn.

Facts:

I am in the exact same situation, except I will entertain buying a non-subsidized phone.
Pctx said:
Not to us grandfathered folk.
*brofist*

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:

What? How so? Google needs to make the phone available to developers. At the very least it's going to cost you that developer's fee they charge you to get the phone unlocked.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Vilam said:
It isn't sad, its downright fucking stupid. Im enjoying my Droid 3 because the keyboard is fantastic... but this phone literally has the market cornered, you don't have any choice if you want a competent smartphone with a real keyboard. It boggles my mind that it has no competition.
I don't know.. I mean I love my Droid's keyboard too but alot of this stuff in ICS seems like it wouldn't work half as well in landscape mode. So yeah, I guess in theory if they want to put out the dopest phone in the history of mankind [4.6in HD slider with a portrait keyboard] they could do it. But lets face it, the world is way to real for that.

SimleuqiR said:
What? How so? Google needs to make the phone available to developers. At the very least it's going to cost you that developer's fee they charge you to get the phone unlocked.

Huh? The developer phone will just be the Verizon one in the US. Developer phone doesn't need to be GSM; after all, they gave away Droids at I/O a few times, not to mention the Xoom 3G.

Trouble

Banned
Ferrio said:
Even if I subsidize? Doesn't clarify in the link.
Yes.

As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone

JoeFu

Banned
I really hope there is an easy way to get the hspa+ version of the Nexus Prime (i'm with you copernicus) here in America. I really wish they would just sell it like they did with the N1.

Ferrio said:
Link?

edit; Oh duh. Well looks like S2 for me.

I recently got the S2 after always having an Iphone.

you will be blown away.

as long as you have the unlimited data you can go

iphone -> android-> iphone -> android ....

and you will still keep the unlimited plan.

it will only change if you choose different data plan.

Trouble

Banned
JoeFu said:
I really hope there is an easy way to get the hspa+ version of the Nexus Prime (i'm with you copernicus) here in America. I really wish they would just sell it like they did with the N1.
I don't want to, but I'll make the 5 hour round-trip to Canadia if I have to.

Ferrio

Banned
shinshoryuken said:
I recently got the S2 after always having an Iphone.

you will be blown away.

I will miss my apps. I have tons of games... rarely play them except Ascension. Even fi I never played stuff like Street Fighter and what not.. it was always nice to have to entertain a kid or something.

Pctx

Banned
Ferrio said:
I will miss my apps. I have tons of games... rarely play them except Ascension. Even fi I never played stuff like Street Fighter and what not.. it was always nice to have to entertain a kid or something.
Angry Birds instead?

Ferrio said:
The narrow number of devices to target on iOS and GPU in the 4S and iPad 2 mean they'll be the place to get the best games for the forseeable future.

However there are absolutely shitloads of games on the Android Market, including some really good exclusive ones, don't worry about not having something to entertain a kid.

rabhw

Vyse The Legend said:

Best Buy Canada is pretty awful at carrying phones on Day 1, if at all. Their choice of off-contract phones is extremely limited and outdated. I always thought you guys in the US had it better off when it came to Best Buy...

2 of the 3 big carriers here (Telus and Rogers) actually let you buy the phone off-contract WITHOUT needing to sign up for a plan of any kind. Bell on the other hand forces you to sign up for a plan (and pay the activation fee), then cancel your plan within the first month. You'd also have to pay the first month so obviously that sucks. Bell is awful but they tend to get the big smartphones first.

As far as Telus and Rogers though, you're basically just buying from them as if you would from Best Buy. Obviously they won't ship to the US, but neither would bestbuy.ca anyway, so I'm assuming you have a different way of importing it into the US.

Ferrio said:

I find myself tinkering with the stock S2 more than i ever did with jailbreaked iphone and ipad.

the flexibility to change the look of the contacts, messaging, etc..is amazing.

Its always cool to change the look of the phone if i get tired of one theme.

also the amazon app store free app of the day is a huge plus!

jayb

I'm raging at the Verizon timed-exclusive.

I need a new phone on t-mobile, but not sure about the S2 with it's supposed gimped CPU on the t-mo version.

Between not having iphone and the Galaxy Nexus, I'm not too thrilled with t-mobile right now, but I could never give up my grandfathered plan.

Top Bottom