• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

jayb

Ferrio said:
You know, not a fan of Apple.. but least they tell you the shit you need to know.

I was thinking the same thing after last night's event. smh

To me it creates more hype when you announce specifics like pricing, exact release date, and carriers all within the same event as talking about the new OS and Phone. I love Google, but they still don't quite get it yet.

Akkad

Banned
The most fucked up part is that they actually delayed this event and they still didn't release that information, what a bunch of fucking clowns.

jayb said:
I was thinking the same thing after last night's event. smh

To me it creates more hype when you announce specifics like pricing, exact release date, and carriers all within the same event as talking about the new OS and Phone. I love Google, but they still don't quite get it yet.

It's clear that Verizon (or someone) wants to delay the US carrier announcement. The question is why. Does Verizon just want to space out their announcements (RAZR and Nexus) -- or is their exclusivity no longer happening? Both the Samsung website and this Samsung rep on Facebook backpedaled after mentioning Verizon. It could be Verizon complained -- or they really are still trying to work out the launch details.

Paznos

Vyse The Legend said:
It's clear that Verizon (or someone) wants to delay the US carrier availability. The question is why. Does Verizon just want to space out their announcements (RAZR and Nexus) -- or is their exclusivity no longer happening? Both the Samsung website and this Samsung rep backpedaled after mentioning Verizon.
It also has to do with Google Wallet vs Isis and I think Verizon didn't want to use Google Wallet.

This isn't a major release targeted at the consumer mainstream, so the comparison to Apple announcing a new iPhone isn't really relevant. Not to say I don't want to know the relase date and price, but the Nexus line consists of niche products purchased in a limited quantity almost exclusively by technophiles. The conference was more about showing where the OS is going and less about creating excitement for their new phone. The people that will buy it are already excited.

wario

Vyse The Legend said:
It's clear that Verizon (or someone) wants to delay the US carrier announcement. The question is why. Does Verizon just want to space out their announcements (RAZR and Nexus) -- or is their exclusivity no longer happening? Both the Samsung website and this Samsung rep on Facebook backpedaled after mentioning Verizon. It could be Verizon complained -- or they really are still trying to work out the launch details.

yeah, it seems odd not to say anything. based on that leaked MAP document, the phone is scheduled to be available on november 10th. that's only 3 weeks away.

Akkad

Banned
voodoojohn said:
This isn't a major release targeted at the consumer mainstream, so the comparison to Apple announcing a new iPhone isn't really relevant. Not to say I don't want to know the relase date and price, but the Nexus line consists of niche products purchased in a limited quantity almost exclusively by technophiles. The conference was more about showing where the OS is going and less about creating excitement for their new phone. The people that will buy it are already excited.

Well, more people would be excited if they knew how much it would cost them, and therefore it wouldn't be a "niche" product anymore and actually a big seller, which is what I assume both Google and Samsung want.

blitz64

wario said:
yeah, it seems odd not to say anything. based on that leaked MAP document, the phone is scheduled to be available on november 10th. that's only 3 weeks away.

The website mentioned that even if the leaked MAP document is true, that's when advertisement promotion starts. It doesn't mean it will be available 11/10.

Lexxon said:
They have the ability to disable bloatware (hopefully including System apps since that's where the bloatware resides), but that does NOT mean phones with skins will allow you to. Froyo had built-in Wireless and USB tethering and those were gutted in favor of trackable apps by the carriers. SIP (internet calling) was pretty much gutted from every Gingerbread phone I've seen.

If VZW and the rest really want to be dicks, they could disable the mobile data cap stuff, since they somewhat WANT you to go over, but I don't see them going that far. The bloatware I could see them bypassing though, since they probably have contracts with the bloatware folks (Blockbuster, that damn golf game, etc.).

It's awfully annoying...I'm sure PC manufacturers have contracts with bloatware folks too, but they don't keep their users from installing a stock copy of the OS. If they want to restrict features that access their network, that's one thing, but keeping users from making use of storage capacity or running the interface software of their choice on their own phones is BS.

Do iOS devices have bloatware or different mandated skins? I'm guessing no, and if not, there's no reason why Google should tolerate it in their OS.

Anyone have any luck getting a upgrade from Verizon after only 1 year?

My Incredible is starting to show its age and I've craved a Nexus phone free of bloatware and Sense for so long.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
chaostrophy said:
It's awfully annoying...I'm sure PC manufacturers have contracts with bloatware folks too, but they don't keep their users from installing a stock copy of the OS. If they want to restrict features that access their network, that's one thing, but keeping users from making use of storage capacity or running the interface software of their choice on their own phones is BS.

Do iOS devices have bloatware or different mandated skins? I'm guessing no, and if not, there's no reason why Google should tolerate it in their OS.

You never know. A big reason that so many manufacturers adopt Android as their operating system is probably because it's so open and they can do whatever they want with it.

If Google had tried to keep it relatively locked from the start, they probably wouldn't have nearly the same market share as they do today.

Ferrio said:
Does android have any apps that do speech->text messaging like Siri?
As far as I know, that has been available for awhile with Google Voice Control. You have pretty good control of your phone with that app. And I can use a soft key to use it anywhere. I hold down search on my G2x.

chaostrophy said:

I'd love it if Google started playing hard ball with the manufacturers, and formed a strong differentiation between the android phones with their apps on (no skins, all features present, updates within x weeks of open source), and those without (do whatever the fuck you like).

kehs

Banned
chaostrophy said:

Verizon commissions Samung to make the Galaxy S Fascinate to their spec(hardware/look/software/os/etc). If your phone has a Carrier Logo on it it's not really from the manufacture themselves.

The Nexus Line is different.

Google commisions Samsung/HTC to make a phone to their specs. Because they want be on Verizon, the have to consult verizon in order to get the phones on there (this is why CDMA should die).

This is was Apple does as well.

Ferrio said:
Does android have any apps that do speech->text messaging like Siri?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbYVvU0Z5s

That's some of the stuff Siri does, siri is more polished up though and integrated. There are other apps more similar to Siri though.

Husker86

Don't know if anyone saw the update, but TIMN updated their Nexus hands on and said that swiping away an app from the multitask list does indeed "kill" it and not just remove it from the list.

jayb

has it been said if the software navigation buttons in ICS will still display on older phones such as the Nexus S that already have capacitive buttons?

rozay

Banned
jayb said:
has it been said if the software navigation buttons in ICS will still display on older phones such as the Nexus S that already have capacitive buttons?
They won't, the menu button on the Nexus S will likely turn into the multitasking button.

jayb said:

If you set the resolution to <720p in the emulator, you don't get the software buttons.

artist

Banned
Just watched the whole conference.

All the new features, fixes are greatly appreciated. However there is somehow a lack of identity to it. I know its being harsh but even though iOS looks dated now, it still has a distinct look. Same with Microsoft's efforts. I'm not sure how they're going to do it and which direction they need to take the GUI but still .. :/

kehs

Banned
rozay said:
They won't, the menu button on the Nexus S will likely turn into the multitasking button.

Actually, ICS phones will display a menu soft key on screen button for older apps that use the hardware menu button (honeycomb does this).

Current phones will just keep working the same.

E: Fuck me, my nexuses feel slow as shit now, wtf.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really really curious to try and live with only a Galaxy Nexus as my sole computing device. Just need to figure out a few things I do with my laptop.

kinggroin

Banned
Jtwo said:
I'm really really curious to try and live with only a Galaxy Nexus as my sole computing device. Just need to figure out a few things I do with my laptop.

what's stopping us from having the ability to burn discs to an external drive?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally unbanned.

I told you fucks this phone would be able to be used on T-Mobile. Whether it's subsidized or not is another story.

ICS looks great. It's finally the shakeup I've been waiting for. However, a lot of the UI isn't all that consistent. The People app looks very different than the rest of the phone. Maybe it's the white UI.

The hardware is disappointing. What happened to that huge battery? The screen's curve isn't as pronounced. Still nice, though.

The whole presentation looked like crap. How terrible and embarrassing.

I like Duarte's direction. I've been using webOS on a Veer and I've owned a Sidekick when it was just a black and white version. Duarte is brilliant.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Finally unbanned.

I told you fucks this phone would be able to be used on T-Mobile. Whether it's subsidized or not is another story.

ICS looks great. It's finally the shakeup I've been waiting for. However, a lot of the UI isn't all that consistent. The People app looks very different than the rest of the phone. Maybe it's the white UI.

The hardware is disappointing. What happened to that huge battery? The screen's curve isn't as pronounced. Still nice, though.

The whole presentation looked like crap. How terrible and embarrassing.

I like Duarte's direction. I've been using webOS on a Veer and I've owned a Sidekick when it was just a black and white version. Duarte is brilliant.

You forgot the best past, hidden notification led.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would like to remind you all, once again, I was the first to speak out against the T-Mobile doubters. No way was this phone not going to have their bands on it. Surprising that there are two versions, though.

I've been using a Veer and an iPhone 4 since I sold my Sensation. EDGE really sucks when you live your life on the cloud.

Top Bottom