• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
*Talks to himself*

WHOA! We just made the same post!

Vyer

Bboy AJ said:
Finally unbanned.

I told you fucks this phone would be able to be used on T-Mobile. Whether it's subsidized or not is another story.

ICS looks great. It's finally the shakeup I've been waiting for. However, a lot of the UI isn't all that consistent. The People app looks very different than the rest of the phone. Maybe it's the white UI.

The hardware is disappointing. What happened to that huge battery? The screen's curve isn't as pronounced. Still nice, though.

The whole presentation looked like crap. How terrible and embarrassing.

I like Duarte's direction. I've been using webOS on a Veer and I've owned a Sidekick when it was just a black and white version. Duarte is brilliant.

so...what did ya do?

Polari

Vilam said:
It isn't sad, its downright fucking stupid. Im enjoying my Droid 3 because the keyboard is fantastic... but this phone literally has the market cornered, you don't have any choice if you want a competent smartphone with a real keyboard. It boggles my mind that it has no competition.

Not really, there's the Xperia Pro and the upcoming Captivate Glyde.

artist

Banned
Polari said:
Duarte said that any phone capable of running Gingerbread should be capable of running ICS.
Yes, but I want to know if they managed to improve the responsiveness of the OS compared to HC/GB. Stuff like ICS does better memory management (better battery life) etc.

Cipherr

Copernicus said:
It usually takes CM about four weeks to PORT over all their additions get a super stable beta out, and then like two more weaks to finalized, and they do that as a hobby.

People usually build a vanilla version of the rom within days of open source btw.

Is the bolded true for all devices? Im thinking of holding on to my current phone for a while until the next flagship phone hits, but whenever I get it, Im going to want to run Vanilla ICS. I know and have heard all about MIUI, Cyanogen and the like, but I didn't know that there were Vanilla Android releases that go out also. That would be amazing.

Husker86 said:
Don't know if anyone saw the update, but TIMN updated their Nexus hands on and said that swiping away an app from the multitask list does indeed "kill" it and not just remove it from the list.

This actually is good news. It didn't make much sense to me that it would do anything other than close those programs tbh.

rozay

Banned
irfan said:
Is there any mention of ICS performance on older phones like the Nexus S?
It'll probably be better since there's hardware acceleration now. Won't really know until it comes out, but I would expect a lot of performance improvements, whether or not your processor is dual core.

Also, a random nugget of information-supercurio, the dev responsible for Voodoo sound and color on the Galaxy S phones got a hardware report from a rooted galaxy nexus and will be releasing what chips are inside the phone, probably through engadget. Very curious to see what audio chip it's using, hopefully it's a wolfson!

r1chard

rozay said:
It'll probably be better since there's hardware acceleration now.
Just wish they'd fix the basic issues around responsiveness.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nexus S, but I do NOT like that something as basic as a PIN unlock doesn't work half the time because it doesn't register my taps!

iavi

Zzoram said:
Why is Samsung making the Nexus for Google when they just bought Motorolla, who makes phones?

This was probably in the works long before that deal cemented. And even then, hasn't Google said that they're not going to change the way the 'Nexus' development process works?

Ferrio

Banned
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

So I bought a Galaxy S2. Went to Walmart to get a microsd card... and I saw S2s there for 50 bucks cheaper. Why didn't anyone tell me this! Ugh, I can't return this to AT&T cause it's a 35 dollar restocking fee which would nullify any savings. Pisses me off.

Miri said:
This was probably in the works long before that deal cemented. And even then, hasn't Google said that they're not going to change the way the 'Nexus' development process works?

If Google actually starting actively running Motorola and competing with their other manufacturers, there would probably be a mass-defection from Android. Google aren't stupid, they are doing their very best to make sure Motorola operates as an independent entity so as to not anger HTC, Samsung, LG, and all the other companies making Android devices. Google only really bought Motorola for the extensive patent portfolio, after all. They don't want into the phone manufacturing business.

Polari

Unknown Soldier said:
If Google actually starting actively running Motorola and competing with their other manufacturers, there would probably be a mass-defection from Android. Google aren't stupid, they are doing their very best to make sure Motorola operates as an independent entity so as to not anger HTC, Samsung, LG, and all the other companies making Android devices. Google only really bought Motorola for the extensive patent portfolio, after all. They don't want into the phone manufacturing business.

Android is almost at the point where the handset makers need it more than Android needs them, especially if Windows Phone 7 continues to be a non-starter. Also, Motorola continues to struggle where profitability is concerned, meaning Google really need to take the reins and get it in the black. I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next year (assuming the acquisition goes through) Motorola has been rebranded along the lines of Google Motorola or Google M and the product line simplified. The potential benefits to Google and the Android platform are too large to ignore.

Zzoram

Ya Android is safe regardless if Google enters the hardware market with their Motorolla assets. What else would the handset makers go to? No OS is anywhere close to being able to compete with iOS except Android.

The Nexus Prime actually seems like a great phone, a real iPhone 4S competitor. The gigantic 4.6" 720p screen is awesome.

rozay

Banned
I'm incredibly worried about the battery life to be honest. Believe it or not, AMOLED screens are more power draining that regular LCD screens when light colors are onscreen and this is pushing a large resolution with a large screen size.

Marketing may tell you that they are very power efficient, but that's only the case when there is a large amount of black on the screen.

Leonsito

rozay said:
I'm incredibly worried about the battery life to be honest. Believe it or not, AMOLED screens are more power draining that regular LCD screens when light colors are onscreen and this is pushing a large resolution with a large screen size.

Marketing may tell you that they are very power efficient, but that's only the case when there is a large amount of black on the screen.

I'm sure I will have to charge the battery everyday, as I do with my N1 right now :(

rozay

Banned
Leonsito said:
I'm sure I will have to charge the battery everyday, as I do with my N1 right now :(
If they can achieve a day with a normal amount of usage I will have no complaints, it's a worthy tradeoff for design. I usually carry a spare battery around in my wallet anyway.

One thing's for certain, it'll have better battery life than our nexus ones guaranteed lol.

Pctx

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I would like to remind you all, once again, I was the first to speak out against the T-Mobile doubters. No way was this phone not going to have their bands on it. Surprising that there are two versions, though.

I've been using a Veer and an iPhone 4 since I sold my Sensation. EDGE really sucks when you live your life on the cloud.
T-mobile is dead... didn't you get the memo?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I'm not opposed to trying something different but these alternatives to the iPhone that Google is offering are pretty silly and gimmicky.

Blackhead

Redarse
teiresias said:
Please tell us what's gimmicky and silly about it?
Why feed the troll? It's amusing to watch all these apple nerds rage about how android 4.0 still sucks while they know regular folks are going to love the new features (assuming their phone ever gets the update... :/ ).

Anyway, back to my geeky pursuits: Is it possible to disable text reflow in the android browser?

Husker86

Ferrio said:
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

So I bought a Galaxy S2. Went to Walmart to get a microsd card... and I saw S2s there for 50 bucks cheaper. Why didn't anyone tell me this! Ugh, I can't return this to AT&T cause it's a 35 dollar restocking fee which would nullify any savings. Pisses me off.
How can you not know that carriers have the highest prices on phones?

SimleuqiR

Galaxy Nexus Barometer Should Speed Up GPS Location

The actual reason for the barometer’s presence is tied directly into GPS. For GPS to function it must first locate a person in three-dimensional space. To make this process quicker, aGPS helps to identify two of those coordinates (latitude and longitude) quickly, the third (height) is where a barometer comes into play. By getting a read on estimated atmospheric pressure, the Galaxy Nexus PRIME is able to make a quick determination about how far the phone is from sea level. Knowing the general location of the handset thanks to aGPS and the barometer, it becomes easier to get an accurate GPS lock. It is worth noting that Morrill states that the Galaxy Nexus’ barometer isn’t quite powerful enough to make any meaningful predictions about the weather.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/20/dan-morrill-reveals-the-real-reason-behind-the-galaxy-nexus-barometer/

Nice explanation.

kehs

Banned
He's right, thinkg about it, what's not gimmicky about Android?

Oh look a video playing behind my homescreens, ladida!

You can use a an app without going to the app, how about I just go into the app?

Big screens? More like big battery killers amirite?

Akkad

Banned
Copernicus said:
He's right, thinkg about it, what's not gimmicky about Android?

Oh look a video playing behind my homescreens, ladida!

You can use a an app without going to the app, how about I just go into the app?

Big screens? More like big battery killers amirite?

It's only innovative when Steve Jobs introduces it, or his ghost now.

VPhys

Ferrio said:
You know, not a fan of Apple.. but least they tell you the shit you need to know.
True, it's quite delicious that we still dont have a release date and pricing considering they delayed the announcement.

rabhw

DrFunk said:

Interesting to note that GSM Arena's hands on appears to be using a different build (probably older) version of ICS. Take a look at the software buttons compared to the software buttons demonstrated at Google's event.

Edit: Also confirmed when they go to "About Phone". The version number listed is still "IceCreamSandwich" vs 4.0 or 4.0.1 that was shown at the event.

rabhw said:
Interesting to note that GSM Arena's hands on appears to be using a different build (probably older) version of ICS. Take a look at the software buttons compared to the software buttons demonstrated at Google's event.

Edit: Also confirmed when they go to "About Phone". The version number listed is still "IceCreamSandwich" vs 4.0 or 4.0.1 that was shown at the event.

Indeed. This was the source of ThisIsMyNext's comments about there still being lag. They messed around with a 4.0 version at first (before the event); Engadget reported that their silky smooth experience was on a 4.0.1.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.gif

gsmarena_002.gif

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...ed-browser-performance-in-ice-cream-sandwich/

More at link

Gwanatu T

Husker86 said:
Huh? I can change to a different ringtone from within the Gmail app and no updates are available.

On Gingerbread ROM for Thunderbolt.
Apparently it was buried under like 9 layers of menus. Ridiculous.

rabhw

Copernicus said:
The two nexus phones weren't top of the line either.

The S certainly wasn't, but the One was pretty incredible for it's time if I'm remembering correctly. The first mention of the term "superphone", which is a horrible marketing term, but no one seemed to disagree it was on a tier of it's own at the time. Unless my memory is failing me.

kehs

Banned
rabhw said:
The S certainly wasn't, but the One was pretty incredible for it's time if I'm remembering correctly. The first mention of the term "superphone", which is a horrible marketing term, but no one seemed to disagree it was on a tier of it's own at the time. Unless my memory is failing me.

It was the first to release (because they sold it unlocked), but the chipset was basically what every phone was getting that year. The HD2 was out before it and it was the same chipset.

Cipherr

gsmarena_003.gif

gsmarena_004.gif

Theres the last two benches.

Also from the article:

We got our hands on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus yesterday and we fiddled with its camera. Today, we decided to run a few benchmarks to see what would happen. The phone is running a buggy developer version of Ice Cream Sandwich, but managed to show some impressive scores.

The bolded is weird, were the press not allowed to run tests on the more final versions at the event? GSMs ICS rom they are running is missing quite a few final features shown in the display demo from the event. Though I dont think any of the changes would modify benchmarks, its just odd is all.

Top Bottom