• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

rabhw

Cipherr said:
The bolded is weird, were the press not allowed to run tests on the more final versions at the event? GSMs ICS rom they are running is missing quite a few final features shown in the display demo from the event. Though I dont think any of the changes would modify benchmarks, its just odd is all.

I'm pretty sure GSM Arena's Galaxy Nexus is one that was given to them via non-official means that a normal press outlet would receive or test a device.

Basically I think they know someone who works at Google or Samsung who let them play around with an early version.

NH Apache

Banned
Cipherr said:
http://st.gsmarena.com/pics/11/10/galaxy-nexus-benchmarks/gsmarena_003.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://st.gsmarena.com/pics/11/10/galaxy-nexus-benchmarks/gsmarena_004.gif[IMG]

Theres the last two benches.

Also from the article:

The bolded is weird, were the press not allowed to run tests on the more final versions at the event? GSMs ICS rom they are running is missing quite a few final features shown in the display demo from the event. Though I dont think any of the changes would modify benchmarks, its just odd is all.[/QUOTE]

I would definitely think software would impact the hardware tests.

rabhw said:
The S certainly wasn't, but the One was pretty incredible for it's time if I'm remembering correctly. The first mention of the term "superphone", which is a horrible marketing term, but no one seemed to disagree it was on a tier of it's own at the time. Unless my memory is failing me.
You're right, the One was a step above at the time. The Prime isn't in terms of its processor but it is a watershed device like the N1 solely due to its screen. We're seeing diminshing returns regarding performance anyway, so I'm glad they focused on the screen this time. I do, however, believe the benchmarks will tell a different story with the updated software.

bionic77

What a nice screen. If it is readable outside this will be the new standard for mobile screens.

Wonder is updates to ICS will be smoother? That seems to be the only question mark left for Android.

FlyingTeacup said:
how's the benches compared to iphone4s?
in the article
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus scored a hair over 70 thousand. This puts the Android purebred closer to the new iPhone 4S (which scores around 89 thousand) than any other droid. Again, keep in mind that the benchmark was run on buggy non-final version of ICS.

Zeppu

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the benchmarks show that the Nexus is inferior to the SII in every possible way but the browser on ICS is better than the browser on GB. SII with ICS would probably get better browser scores by the looks of it.

MadFerIt

josephdebono said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but the benchmarks show that the Nexus is inferior to the SII in every possible way but the browser on ICS is better than the browser on GB. SII with ICS would probably get better browser scores by the looks of it.

Wait until we see some benchmarks from 4.0.1, from the benchmarks above it appears to be a huge increase as far as the browser is concerned.

gcubed

josephdebono said:

yes. i thought anandtech did browser benchmarks on the 4s and it barely beat the GS2.

jayb

I'm not going to leave t-mobile, so should I get their GSII version and root it to put stock GB (and later ICS) on it? Or play the waiting game on the Prime coming to t-mobile?

My current phone is a myTouch 3G (HTC Magic), so I'm hurting pretty bad for new phone right now. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.

gcubed said:
yes. i thought anandtech did browser benchmarks on the 4s and it barely beat the GS2.

35411.png

Zeppu

This is ridiculous.

Also, are those benchmarks all running at 720? I.e. do they take into account the increased resolution of the GN compared to the S2?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So which graphics card will get me 60fps at 800x600 in Quake3?

Cipherr

josephdebono said:
This is ridiculous.

Also, are those benchmarks all running at 720? I.e. do they take into account the increased resolution of the GN compared to the S2?

Im sure they do, they absolutely should anyway. I don't think they should alter resolution for tests like this. When I decide to game across 3 monitors instead of 1, increasing the resolution, I expect less performance out my hardware because of it. It goes with the territory really.

I would definitely think software would impact the hardware tests.

I would expect so for browser mark maybe, but I'm not all that sure about the other benchmarks.

sonycowboy said:
[/img]http://kmug.co.kr/board/data/ipodnews/35411.png[/img]

Holy moly man. Dont see you around much these days.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
So which graphics card will get me 60fps at 800x600 in Quake3?

3dfx

Cipherr said:
Im sure they do, they absolutely should anyway. I don't think they should alter resolution for tests like this. When I decide to game across 3 monitors instead of 1, increasing the resolution, I expect less performance out my hardware because of it. It goes with the territory really.

I would expect so for browser mark maybe, but I'm not all that sure about the other benchmarks.

browsermark, java, etc, but not GPU. C'mon guys, its not going to be close... and comparing resolution for resolution tests is just a way to make it look better then it is but it doesnt matter.

Cipherr

Unknown Soldier said:
3Dfx Voodoo 2 SLI?

That name makes me anticipate the day Samsung releases its first phone with a 3d Screen.

"The Sprint Samsung Super AMOLED 3D Plus Galaxy S4 HD 1080p Epic Touch 4G LTE with NFC"
90ap8h.png

Somebody has got to get working on a Street Fighter 2 font, so we can properly mock the madness.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So how many megahertz does your GPU need before it unlocks the soul of the smartphone?

Five? Six? Its gotta be less than ten.

Cipherr

Ferrio said:
I assumed the carriers were the only sellers of their phone.

Nah. Many many third parties sell phones. I would use Amazon Wireless if I were you though. I like them the best. They had Galaxy S2's for $99 like.... a week or two after it came out.

Seems they still do

jbfbtku4FPfKX.png

Ferrio said:
I assumed the carriers were the only sellers of their phone.
did you miss all the talk and threads (and radio/tv/paper/online ads) of sales on phones on various outlets like Amazon, Wirefly, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc?

Ferrio

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
did you miss all the talk and threads (and radio/tv/paper/online ads) of sales on phones on various outlets like Amazon, Wirefly, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc?

Obviously?

Well at this point nothing I can do.

jayb

Does amazon wireless and other 3rd party sellers let you keep your grandfathered plan when signing a new contract to get a subsidized phone?

EDIT: looks like amazon does...at least for family plans.

giga

The 4460 isn't exactly weak…

What other options did they really have? They don't do their own hardware like Apple. Qualcomm is still fumbling with Adreno. Nvidia's Kal-El isn't ready for phones. Exynos seemed liked the obvious first choice, but for reasons unknown that didn't happen. Maybe supply issues. Maybe GSII exclusivity.

Cipherr

giga said:
The 4460 isn't exactly weak…

What other options did they really have? They don't do their own hardware like Apple. Qualcomm is still fumbling with Adreno. Nvidia's Kal-El isn't ready for phones. Exynos seemed liked the obvious first choice, but for reasons unknown that didn't happen. Maybe supply issues. Maybe GSII exclusivity.

Exy doesn't work with LTE radios right now right? In any case, folks will get flagship hardware when the manus launch them. Likely wont start until early next year when most of the new stuff is due. Im just glad Hardware Acceleration is in from now on.

Zeppu

Can someone who isn't me (cause my threads never take off) create a Google |OT| where we can share news and updates and shit related to google products. Google Reader is finally getting updated and integrated into G+ and I don't want to create a dedicated thread about it (because it's not really *that* big of a news, but still cool). Sorry for minor derail but I'm sure someone here will step up to the challenge.

I'm kind of torn. I love Android and really want to keep with an Android phone. However, nothing new is really wow-ing me. I cant stand buying another Motorola phone with its stupid Motorola shit installed all over it. The Nexus Prime is pretty much the only way to get a stock Android phone without having to root, however its just not impressing me.

I kind of want to get a 4S so see what iOS is all about, plus it would give me an iPod too so that would kill two birds with one stone.

Opus Angelorum said:
ICS (Android 4.0) allows you to remove any application.

Even if it would be the trash cell makers put on?

I remember seeing an article a while back saying that Google was going to cut down on letting them do that. Is this what they where referring to?

NH Apache

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
ICS (Android 4.0) allows you to remove any application.
Whoa! Really? Would this include any VZW bloatware without root?

I am slow as shit on the draw today.

Has anyone confirmed that the Processor in the Prime is underclocked? I would assume that this would give great benefit to the battery life

edit2: Can anyone see the size of the battery in the engadget pic? how many mah?

Husker86

Ferrio said:
Obviously?

Well at this point nothing I can do.

Well then don't yell at us for not informing you! :p

Copernicus said:
It's actually not removal, it's "freezing" it.

The actual megabytes are still being held ransom on the phone.

Only app I can see that being a problem with is Let's Golf. That's a big one isn't it?

I can understand the reason though. They don't want you to be able to uninstall the browser and have no way of getting it back.

Correct.

You can disable pre-installed applications, which is fantastic.

Husker86 said:
I can understand the reason though. They don't want you to be able to uninstall the browser and have no way of getting it back.

Exactly.

NH Apache

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Correct.

You can disable pre-installed applications, which is fantastic.

Exactly.

You would think that they would allow you to uninstall everything except for the Market. Then put all the pre-installed on the market as well. True Freedom™

Top Bottom