• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

andycapps

giga said:
5mzhi

Engadget, as always.

The clock speed of the GPU is almost twice as fast, right?

gcubed

andycapps said:
The clock speed of the GPU is almost twice as fast, right?

200mhz on the galaxy s i believe
300mhz on the OMAP4430
380mhz on the OMAP4460

i am pretty sure the OMAP's have dual channel memory controllers instead of a single as in the galaxy s

kehs

Banned
Duarte made a wise decision by putting the recent apps button seperate from the home button. I blew my dad's mind by pressing and holding the home button and showing him it's the same as the recent button on the tablet.

He's had the phone since December.

*Talks to himself too*

Sky Chief

gcubed said:
300mhz on the OMAP4430
380mhz on the OMAP4460

i am pretty sure the OMAP's have dual channel memory controllers instead of a single as in the galaxy s

Because the Galaxy Nexus' 4460 is only clocked at 1.2GHz will the GPU only be clocked at 300mHz or might it still be at 380mHz?

Husker86

Copernicus said:
Duarte made a wise decision by putting the recent apps button seperate from the home button. I blew my dad's mind by pressing and holding the home button and showing him it's the same as the recent button on the tablet.

He's had the phone since December.

*Talks to himself too*

A lot of my friends have Android phones and I'm pretty sure 90% don't know how to pop up the multitask pane...and they forget it exists 30 seconds after I tell them how.

Sky Chief said:
Because the Galaxy Nexus' 4460 is only clocked at 1.2GHz will the GPU only be clocked at 300mHz or might it still be at 380mHz?

CPU and GPU are clocked independently on these SoCs, otherwise OCing the CPU would also OC the GPU! (Which we know doesn't happen on existing devices.)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Husker86 said:
A lot of my friends have Android phones and I'm pretty sure 90% don't know how to pop up the multitask pane...and they forget it exists 30 seconds after I tell them how.

Yeah. Which is why I love the multitask software button. But where will that button be if ICS is on phones with buttons?

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:

I find it grating seeing people use their phones around me. -_- /nerd rage

home key - swipe - swipe - app - home key - swipe - swipe - home key

Sky Chief

Unknown Soldier said:
CPU and GPU are clocked independently on these SoCs, otherwise OCing the CPU would also OC the GPU! (Which we know doesn't happen on existing devices.)

Cool, that's what I thought. So we don't yet know if they are underclocking the GPU as well

Husker86

Copernicus said:
I find it grating seeing people use their phones around me. -_- /nerd rage

home key - swipe - swipe - app - home key - swipe - swipe - home key
It's really the same with watching some people use computers. I do my best to keep my rage inside though.

pr0cs

Opus Angelorum said:
It annoys me to hear people talk about the iPhone as the second coming of Christ, as they enjoy a session of angry birds.
it's worse in software development. I got bombarded through company intranet by an endless parade of Apple zealots on how we should be looking at what Apple does when designing their applications.
for the record our software does NOTHING like what Apple does, yet we have these non-development people espousing their Apple fervor and cluttering up my inbox.
I have nothing against Apple, whatever works for you but goddamn does it feel like a fucking cult now.

Gwanatu T

Husker86 said:
This is just like voice search too. Kinggroin told me about a guy at work that has a Droid X and didn't know the feature existed. When the 4s was announced and he saw Siri, he said "man I wish my phone could do that!" He was told to hold down his search button and his jaw dropped. Google and these manufacturers need to do a better job of showing off these features so that when Apple finally gets around to incorporating them in iOS it isn't such a revelation to people.

kehs

Banned
pr0cs said:
it's worse in software development. I got bombarded through company intranet by an endless parade of Apple zealots on how we should be looking at what Apple does when designing their applications.
for the record our software does NOTHING like what Apple does, yet we have these non-development people espousing their Apple fervor and cluttering up my inbox.
I have nothing against Apple, whatever works for you but goddamn does it feel like a fucking cult now.

You should forward them all the litigation news stories.

faceless: you forgot to *junk* my witty wordplay.

woeds

The gpu is clocked at 384MHz instead of the 200MHz in the Galaxy S which is a nice bump in speed. But don't forget that it needs to output 2,4x the amount of pixels.

gcubed said:
300mhz on the OMAP4430
380mhz on the OMAP4460

yep, they do, and that was a big part of the LG Optimus 3D's spec talk!

DUAL CORE
DUAL CHANNEL
DUAL MEMORY

LG OPTIMUS 3D

Copernicus said:

faceless: you forgot to *junk* my witty wordplay.
i only do that for actual junk.

pr0cs

Copernicus said:
I will not encourage these people, are you nuts?!

Unknown Soldier said:
Feels like a cult NOW? Where have you been for, oh, the entirety of Apple's existence?
I never noticed it before but in the last year things in my office have gone Apple crazy.

It reminds me a lot of the cult in Dead Space with Altman as Jobs and Unitologists as the Apple fans.

kehs

Banned
The Faceless Master said:

DUAL CORE
DUAL CHANNEL
DUAL MEMORY

LG OPTIMUS 3D

All I remember is those packing boxes in the assembly line in a criss cross manner.

The Faceless Master said:

DUAL CORE
DUAL CHANNEL
DUAL MEMORY

LG OPTIMUS 3D.

Unfortunately in the case of the Optimus 3D it was also DUAL SUCK! Twice the Suck! I mean, that thing shipped with Android 2.2, come on LG!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They need to make a 3D version of Duel to include int he package.

NH Apache said:
You would think that they would allow you to uninstall everything except for the Market. Then put all the pre-installed on the market as well. True Freedom™

That would be ideal for me, I have having useless T-Mobile crap on my few.

andycapps

gcubed said:
300mhz on the OMAP4430
380mhz on the OMAP4460

Seems like that and ICS should combine for much better performance, then.

Zeppu

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/the-galaxy-nexus-super-amoled-display-is-a-minus-not-a-plus/

The Galaxy Nexus' Super AMOLED display is a minus said:
For all the buzz around Samsung's latest hi-def smartphone, the absence of one little word has largely been glossed over. That word is "Plus" -- the wizened Galaxy S II has a "Super AMOLED Plus" display, for example, whereas the sparkly Galaxy Nexus is merely "Super AMOLED." Did the marketeers simply forget those extra hyperbolic keystrokes, or does the difference actually mean something?

Well, regrettably, it does. Samsung uses "Plus" to refer to full RGB displays, in which each pixel possesses its own trio of red, green and blue sub-pixels. Meanwhile, a non-Plus display uses a cheaper PenTile system -- which forces pixels to share each other's sub-pixels. Aside from potential hygiene issues, this results in a lower overall sub-pixel density, reduced sharpness and worse color rendition. We saw the difference clearly enough when Engadget Spanish microscopically compared the original non-Plus Galaxy S against the GS II, and now the folks at FlatPanelsHD have undertaken a more up-to-date comparison at the source link. The upshot? They calculated that, despite its 4.65-inch screen size, the Galaxy Nexus has the same number of sub-pixels as the 3.5-inch iPhone 4/4S. Think of a word with no r, g or b in it, and you eventually arrive at "disappointed."

Update: We just added AnandTech's analysis at the More Coverage link. They point out that if you like the pixel density on the GS II, you should be happy with that on the Galaxy Nexus -- although they don't address color rendition.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5000/galaxy-nexus-pentile-discussion-confirmed

gcubed

We've known this for quite some time. I'd like to thank the tech blogs for their timely and intrepid investigative work

rabhw

I love how everyone was raving about the incredible screen quality until they found out it's pentile, which we've known about forever, and now the next big BREAKING News is that the screen is suddenly disappointing. Tech blogs that have very little tech knowledge are embarrassing.

The fact that they loved the screen before they found out it's pentile should be further proof that they are just complaining about something they feel they should because pentile is the bad buzz word right now.

SimleuqiR

josephdebono said:

LOL. I still think my Nexus One has a great screen, and this is after holding an iPhone 4 and compering the two side by side. Yes the iPhone 4 has an amazing screen (an no doubt 20x better), but you take it away from my eyesight and I can't remember how it looked THAT much better than my Nexus One. I'm not anal like that.

The only thing my Nexus One screen is shitty in is in direct sunlight, which I think this new screen has corrected.

rabhw said:
I love how everyone was raving about the incredible screen quality until they found out it's pentile, which we've known about forever, and now the next big BREAKING News is that the screen is suddenly disappointing. Tech blogs that have very little tech knowledge are embarrassing.

The fact that they loved the screen before they found out it's pentile should be further proof that they are just complaining about something they feel they should because pentile is the bad buzz word right now.

Well, this is how I felt originally about the screen on my Nexus. After using it close to two years the only issue I really have with it is the direct sunlight viewing and the shitty touch sensor.

Pctx

Banned
I'm confused as to why people would care if this was pentile or not. Seriously....

harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif

Pctx said:
I'm confused as to why people would care if this was pentile or not. Seriously....

harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif

Because Motorola released some phones with terrible, horrific Pentile displays, which gave the Pentile matrix a bad reputation.

Motorola, not Samsung, mind you.

Samsung has used the Pentile matrix in many of their phones with (super) AMOLED displays, including the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S1, etc. People loved those displays (and still do).

In short, ignorance makes people hate things that they don't understand.

Top Bottom