• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Because Motorola released some phones with terrible, horrific Pentile displays, which gave the Pentile matrix a bad reputation.

Motorola, not Samsung, mind you.

Samsung has used the Pentile matrix in many of their phones with (super) AMOLED displays, including the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S1, etc. People loved those displays (and still do).

In short, ignorance makes people hate things that they don't understand.
True, but the pixel density is on par with the GS2 so I don't know why... dammit... see you made me talk geek.

I get the hate after phones like the Atrix with their qHD screen not doing anyone any favors--- just seems like something in which panties in a bunch need not apply.

Zeppu

Personally always assumed that with high enough pixel density then any disadvantages of pentile display would disappear.

Pctx

Banned
josephdebono said:
Personally always assumed that with high enough pixel density then any disadvantages of pentile display would disappear.
One would think---- however the tech blogs would like you to think otherwise.

giga

The PenTile was very noticeable to me on the Samsung Focus and Nexus One when viewing text. Still great displays, but how noticeable it is to people will vary. I went from a 4 to the Focus so it was pretty apparent. (Majority of the time spent on my phone is reading--either through the browser, rss, or instapaper)

Pctx

Banned
giga said:
The PenTile was very noticeable to me on the Samsung Focus and Nexus One when viewing text. Still great displays, but how noticeable it is to people will vary. I went from a 4 to the Focus so it was pretty apparent. (Majority of the time spent on my phone is reading--either through the browser, rss, or instapaper)
Well there is a reason why I predicted (but was denied) a Super AMOLED HD+ display... so we wouldn't be having these conversations. Honestly though its going to come up via Ars, BGR or Anandtech most likely as a "talking point" but they won't dock the phone points for it since as you pointed out... its subjective.

rabhw

The only smart phone high a high-ish res screen that I've ever had is the Nexus One, and I love that screen and still do. Before Moto came along and shat up the reputation of PenTile, no one would have really cared or noticed the difference.

WHY IS THERE STILL NO CARRIER INFORMATION?! >:{

Pctx

Banned
rabhw said:
The only smart phone high a high-ish res screen that I've ever had is the Nexus One, and I love that screen and still do. Before Moto came along and shat up the reputation of PenTile, no one would have really cared or noticed the difference.

Google is trolling us.... and trolling us hard. Seriously--- "Phone will be released in November..."

HAS ANYONE TOLD GOOGLE THAT IS ONLY 10 DAYS AWAY!??!!?!

rabhw

Pctx said:
Google is trolling us.... and trolling us hard. Seriously--- "Phone will be released in November..."

HAS ANYONE TOLD GOOGLE THAT IS ONLY 10 DAYS AWAY!??!!?!

Unfortunately I feel like they're kinda trolling themselves a bit. They pretty much had the entire mobile tech world watching their conference. Would have been a great way to cap off the excitement. Instead there will probably just be a ho-hum press release detailing carriers. Doesn't matter much to us since we were going to get it anyway, but might be a missed opportunity to get some more attention to those that might not have cared otherwise.

yep, everyone wants to see #1 fall

i swear that it was right after the Galaxy Note unveil that from Samsung talked about their AMOLED roadmap and what all the Super, Plus and HD stuff meant.

Zzoram said:
Pathetic. Skimping out on the screen of the flagship device, ugh.
ity's not that they're cheaping out, it's just that they don't have the capability to mass manufacture a 4.65" 720p RGB Stripe AMOLED panel yet.

Pctx

Banned
rabhw said:
Unfortunately I feel like they're kinda trolling themselves a bit. They pretty much had the entire mobile tech world watching their conference. Would have been a great way to cap off the excitement. Instead there will probably just be a ho-hum press release detailing carriers. Doesn't matter much to us since we were going to get it anyway, but might be a missed opportunity to get some more attention to those that might not have cared otherwise.
I have to wonder though if Google is ever going to take their market seriously enough to take on or overthrow Apple once and for all. If I were them, I would put this thing on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket and Boost Mobile just to get market saturation and get a unified device out there with ICS to the masses. So far though it seems like they want to see which carrier has the "most" attraction in which gives them and Samsung the most money. The irony of all of this is they have a CDMA LTE phone and a GSM HSPA+ model made and manufactured..... so its like.... what the F are they waiting for?

ced

rabhw said:

They lost a customer in me because of this (if it comes to VZW). I had a Incredible with a broken screen I had been dealing with for a year waiting on upgrade eligibility with Verizon, I went with an iPhone 4S cause they can't give a release date or carrier. Love the iPhone and was on it before Android, but I think I would have ended up with this over the 4S.

rabhw

Pctx said:
I have to wonder though if Google is ever going to take their market seriously enough to take on or overthrow Apple once and for all. If I were them, I would put this thing on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, MetroPCS, Cricket and Boost Mobile just to get market saturation and get a unified device out there with ICS to the masses. So far though it seems like they want to see which carrier has the "most" attraction in which gives them and Samsung the most money. The irony of all of this is they have a CDMA LTE phone and a GSM HSPA+ model made and manufactured..... so its like.... what the F are they waiting for?

Basically this. Why in the world would you NOT want your brand new phone, with it's brand new operating system, that is ALREADY compatible with every carrier's networks, to be available to every single possible customer?

Moneyhats? I see no other explanation. It was interesting to hear the Samsung rep continuously make reference to "depending on consumer and market demand" when referring to the HSPA+ version, then they went on to ONLY demonstrate the device using the HSPA+ version heh.

JoeFu

Banned
So is the PenTile that big of a deal? Will it not look as crisp or something if you zoom in all the way? Is that it? I don't know I love my N1 screen.

pr0cs

Pctx said:
I have to wonder though if Google is ever going to take their market seriously enough to take on or overthrow Apple once and for all.
It was mentioned earlier..
The entire reveal and press event was terrible.
How many other companies would have released a new phone with a new OS that totally revamps the user experience and unifies 2 computing platforms (phone, tablet) with so little fanfare.
Google seriously needs to learn how to market their products. I get they're 'geeks' like the rest of us but the geeks are going to buy it regardless, it's the 'masses' that need to be marketed to and Google doesn't seem to get that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm a big pentile detractor. The first thing I noticed about the nexus s was how awful the screen was. But whatever, everything else about the galaxy nexus is rad.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
pr0cs said:
How many other companies would have released a new phone with a new OS that totally revamps the user experience and unifies 2 computing platforms (phone, tablet) with so little fanfare.
Google seriously needs to learn how to market their products. I get they're 'geeks' like the rest of us but the geeks are going to buy it regardless, it's the 'masses' that need to be marketed to and Google doesn't seem to get that.

True, the presentation was composed of awkward silences, ridiculously bad streaming, lack of personality, and finally, little to no excitement.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Divvy said:
True, the presentation was composed of awkward silences, ridiculously bad streaming, lack of personality, and finally, little to no excitement.
In other words, the Google we know and love.

Pctx

Banned
pr0cs said:
To be fair.... Google is marching into new territory especially with Matias doing some of the design work for them and moving them away from the old ideology of a programmer designing how the system works. Much like they're shifting away from that, so should they invest in some good PR or presenters that actually market the product and get paid to simply be Google's mouth piece for their OS and products.

One thing that I think Google has to look at (but not emulate) is how Apple draws people into their product and lets them create the hype around it. Again, ironically, some of us here are doing that and I've had several co-workers ask me when I'm getting the "Nexus phone" which means the word is out, but nothing is really known about it.

The end of the day, Google loses out because their marketing is crap. I still have to remind myself that this is a bunch of nerds who work for a search engine company trying to bring spit and polish to "services" they offer while not really getting a good grip on what their overall mission is. If you look at Microsoft or Apple, you have a good idea of what their focus is with WP or iOS. Android--- the message is getting lost in translation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe its our minds birthday and they get blown thrice.

garath

The Galaxy Nexus is the first phone I've seen that is making me consider giving up my excellent DroidX.

The leaked documents has a tentative release of Nov 10th on Verzion. I really hope that's true. I have an upgrade all ready for it.

My biggest concern is battery life. I can flex a little but it's going to be so hard moving away from my DroidX. When I put it on the charger at night it's usually at 60-70% battery remaining (with the extended battery). I want to be able to make it a whole day with moderate use at least.

Sky Chief

Jtwo said:
Yeah I'm a big pentile detractor. The first thing I noticed about the nexus s was how awful the screen was. But whatever, everything else about the galaxy nexus is rad.

Fortunately, the subpixel density of this screen is higher than the Super AMOLED Plus on the 4.3" GSII so it might not be very noticeable.

Divvy said:
They really need to stop the whole pause-for-applause bit unless the applause is actually there.

"Isn't that cool?"

No, it's just cool to the programmers who know what went into creating it. The audience couldn't give a rat's ass.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sky Chief said:
Fortunately, the subpixel density of this screen is higher than the Super AMOLED Plus on the 4.3" GSII so it might not be very noticeable.
I still believe it will be obvious its pentile.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second, I just read a thing that said the 720p pentile had the same amount of subpixels as the iphone4. Which is slightly higher rez than the gs2. How does that work? Or am I mistaken?

Wait I. Think I just need to get out of bed and get some coffee before I start thinking about subpixels and their arrangement.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Battersea Power Station said:
They really need to stop the whole pause-for-applause bit unless the applause is actually there.

"Isn't that cool?"

No, it's just cool to the programmers who know what went into creating it. The audience couldn't give a rat's ass.

Pretty much, who could forget this tremendous awkwardness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts5WBm0tXzI&feature=player_detailpage#t=484s

sCgRh.png

Sky Chief

Jtwo said:
Wait a second, I just read a thing that said the 720p pentile had the same amount of subpixels as the iphone4. Which is slightly higher rez than the gs2. How does that work? Or am I mistaken?

Wait I. Think I just need to get out of bed and get some coffee before I start thinking about subpixels and their arrangement.

That's correct, the GN has 1.5x the resolution of the iP4 but 2/3 the subpixels so the total amount of subpixes is the same.

pr0cs

Pctx said:
To be fair.... Google is marching into new territory especially with Matias doing some of the design work for them and moving them away from the old ideology of a programmer designing how the system works.
I'd be more lenient if we're talking about 2 guys working out of their garage but we're not. Google is a massive company with an insane bankroll. An event such as the reveal of the the phone and OS felt more like Bob and Doug talking about the new gokart they built than something that will have huge ramifications for mobile computing over the next year.

Jtwo said:
Maybe its our minds birthday and they get blown thrice.
I already like the direction this thread is going :)

Zeppu

Pctx said:
Buster Bluth presents the Galaxy Nexus.

Is that Annyong?

pr0cs said:
I'd be more lenient if we're talking about 2 guys working out of their garage but we're not. Google is a massive company with an insane bankroll. An event such as the reveal of the the phone and OS felt more like Bob and Doug talking about the new gokart they built than something that will have huge ramifications for mobile computing over the next year.

That's exactly what I said as we started getting the final leaks right before the conference.

These guys have practically infinite amounts of money to push research and whatnot and they should've been able to deliver something more unique than a barometer, especially if they expect me to pay €600 for a 16GB phone.

Pctx

Banned
pr0cs said:

I already like the direction this thread is going :)
That is an awesome example..... (the gokart analogy) :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Notice how the hook hand is carefully hidden behind the other guy.

Cipherr

The presentation was godawful. But the OS additions and refinements delivered.

But in terms of what they talked about, I thought they did well. The talked about swiping to close apps, pinch to zoom in calendars and the like.

What they didn't do was talk about HW Acceleration, Wi-Fi Direct P2P, and removal of software. Even though ICS has those things, they were smart enough to know, talking about that stuff to a room of journalist would have been a waste of time.

If they can hash out their execution, and not make my eyes bleed with ugly ass screens in the background they will be fine. Hell in fact, as long as the product delivers they will be fine, but still wouldnt hurt to pull their shit together conference wise.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I give it 18 months before those previews in the multitasking pane just become fullblown active cards.

giga

Jtwo said:

PenTile: 2 subpixels per pixel.
LCD: 3 subpixels per pixel. (RGB)

41846.png

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Yeah I knew that. I was for some reason thinking about something completely different because I am crazy. I was mixing up the iPhone4 and GS2 screen resolutions in my mind so when I tried to relate them I couldn't understand how it would have a higher pixel density than the GS2 when thats not as good as the iPhone's resolution.

I have no idea. I understand pentile, I Just had a massive brain meltdown.

rozay

Banned
Typical tech blogs gushing over the screen then retracting when someone makes an article about the pentile screens. I was thinking about it but after reading "its so sharp" quite a few times thanks to reviews I forgot about it.

I love my nexus one's screen, but this might be a dealbreaker.

Circle T

The whole PenTile thing is a complete non-issue for me, personally. I mentioned this when the Galaxy Note was announced. My Captivate, like all the original Galaxy S devices, uses a PenTile SAMOLED screen. Yet, even with a pixel density of only 233ppi, I think it looks great. Yea sure, if you smash your face up to the screen, and look at the edges of images and text, it might not be super sharp. But in daily use, I never notice it. So, even though these newer devices use PenTile displays, I really don't care, and will be purchasing both posthaste.

Captivate: 4" @ 233ppi
Galaxy Note: 5.3" @ 285ppi
Galaxy Nexus: 4.65" @ 316ppi

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Chuck said:
It's funny that the OG Droid still has the best Android phone screen.
Right? That screen is a marvel.

Circle T said:
I really don't care, and will be purchasing both posthaste.
BOTH? The Note and the Nexus?

Top Bottom