• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
OH GOD THE SUB PIXELS OF THE PIXEL I CAN'T SEE ARE SHARED!

e: THIS MEANS MORE MEGAHURTZ CAUSE OF LESS PIXLY PUSHING THOUGH!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We all knew it would be Pentile but that still doesn't mean it isn't bullshit.

More importantly, where is our US carrier information?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the Pentile thing is nonnews. I made peace with it when I fell in love with the Note.
Yeah, the preorder site needs to go live yesterday.

Circle T

Jtwo said:
BOTH? The Note and the Nexus?
Correct. The GNote is going to replace my Captivate, and the GNex is going to replace my Charge. Both old devices are nice, but I want new fun stuff.

kehs

Banned
brotkasten said:
If you can't see that the text looks like shit on a pentile display, you should get your eyes checked.

Bless my rotting eyes for not being bothered by pentile.

Then again, I'm not holding the phone two inches from my eyeballs.

Everyone that sees the amoled screens on my phone and the S has an instant orgasm due to the blacks.

Pentile sucks. I went from an HTC Desire to a Samsung Vibrant and it was one of the first things I noticed. It's nice having a bigger screen and better colours and pure blacks and all that stuff, but text quality takes a huge nosedive.

Sky Chief

DrFunk said:

Everyone complaining about Pentile should read this article. Thanks for posting Dr. Funk. On text in particular the SAMOLED HD Pentile display looks significantly crisper than the SAMOLED Plus.

100-Crop-Text.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Circle T said:
Correct. The GNote is going to replace my Captivate, and the GNex is going to replace my Charge. Both old devices are nice, but I want new fun stuff.
I'm Jelly Bean.

brotkasten said:
If you can't see that the text looks like shit on a pentile display, you should get your eyes checked.
I also cannot see any sort of meaningful difference between my OG Galaxy S and an iPhone 4. Just not noticeable to me. Does the high resolution screen not invalidate the whole fuzzy text nonsense, I am far more interested in engadget's claims on colour accuracy.

Opus Angelorum said:
My Samsung Galaxy S II compares very favourably to the iPhone 4, and I have perfect eyesight.
That because your Galaxy S II has a Super AMOLED+ screen and doesn't have that pentile matrix. Enjoy your screen!

andycapps

Sky Chief said:
Everyone complaining about Pentile should read this article. Thanks for posting Dr. Funk. On text in particular the SAMOLED HD Pentile display looks significantly crisper than the SAMOLED Plus.

100-Crop-Text.jpg

So it seems kind of similar to the DLP controvery in TV tech a few years ago? Where some people would see a rainbow effect if they looked quickly to the side or something? I mean it's not identical issue wise, but maybe it's something that a small percentage of people would notice (or someone that zooms in under extreme magnification).

giga

Sky Chief said:

[IG]http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/48138-image/100-Crop-Text.jpg[/IMG]
That's because the HD Pentile display in the Note is 1280x800. The Galaxy S II is 800x480.

Sky Chief

giga said:
That's because the HD Pentile display in the Note is 1280x800. The Galaxy S II is 800x480.

Of course it is but some people are acting like because its Pentile overall it will look worse. The fact is that if you think text on the GSII SAMOLED Plus looks good, text on the GN SAMOLED HD will look much better.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Galaxy Note looks like its white balance was done inside the Matrix.

rabhw

Sky Chief said:
Of course it is but some people are acting like because its Pentile overall it will look worse. The fact is that if you think text on the GSII SAMOLED Plus looks good, text on the GN SAMOLED HD will look much better.

Exactly. I actually think based on that comparison that the Note looks the best of any of them. It has the perfect smoothness without being blurry (iphone 4), or being saw-toothed either (GS2).

WTF is with the background though heh.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jtwo said:
I give it 18 months before those previews in the multitasking pane just become fullblown active cards.

How will that be any different from what it is now?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
josephdebono said:
Maybe Roboto is pentile optimized for optimal optimization.
You think they got real optometrists to opt in for testing?
mckmas8808 said:
From my understanding in ICS they're just a screenshot of the app's state as it was when you hopped out. Whereas in webOS the cards are "live." (like, a video would keep playing, or a .gif of a single tear rolling down a childs face would keep rolling, or texts from copernicus would still pop up)

giga

mckmas8808 said:
Apps don't actually close when you dismiss them from ICS. It's just a fast way of clearing them out from the list.

Also: webOS cards are more like traditional desktop operating systems in that apps can open multiple windows. Android and iOS only have a single window for each app. Frankly, after using the Touchpad for a while, I found it annoying have to manage multiple windows.

Circle T

giga said:
Apps don't actually close when you dismiss them from ICS. It's just a fast way of clearing them out from the list.

Also: webOS cards are more like traditional desktop operating systems in that apps can open multiple windows. Android and iOS only have a single window for each app. Frankly, after using the Touchpad for a while, I found it annoying have to manage multiple windows.
I thought I read yesterday that someone said that swiping them out of that list DOES in fact close them??

andycapps

giga said:

I thought TIMN clarified with Google that it does close the apps. At first they reported that it just removed them from the list, and then they reported that they clarified and it does close them. I'll look for the link.

Edit, here we go:

Update: Google misinformed us — swiping away an app does more than just remove it from the list. It turns out it is killing some background processes, etc.

gcubed

rabhw said:
Exactly. I actually think based on that comparison that the Note looks the best of any of them. It has the perfect smoothness without being blurry (iphone 4), or being saw-toothed either (GS2).

WTF is with the background though heh.

thats the pentile

giga

andycapps said:
I thought TIMN clarified with Google that it does close the apps. At first they reported that it just removed them from the list, and then they reported that they clarified and it does close them. I'll look for the link.

Edit, here we go:
Oh I see thanks for the clarification. Take that Copernicus!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
rabhw said:
Pentile causes whites to become matrix-green? WTF
That photo is just a simulation of a simulation, you cannot be told that pentile is serviceable, you have to see it for yourself.

Welcome to the desert of the phone. The mobileHD prophecy will be fulfilled soon. Kansas is going bye bye.

whoa.

*fist bouquet*

kehs

Banned
I think they're wrong, there's no way they are allow people to force close from the recent apps menu.

That's a headache for developers waiting to happen.

Copernicus said:
I think they're wrong, there's no way they are allow people to force close from the recent apps menu.

On CM7 I can force-close any app I want by long-pressing Back. Don't see what the problem is.

andycapps

Copernicus said:

Hopefully someone will get more clarification.. Maybe they're just freezing the process. Seems like the only issues these days are from rogue apps consuming vast resources in the background. For example: I uninstalled Photobucket app a few days ago because it was using resources inexplicably when I had never opened it. Found out via Spare Parts as my battery was going down for no reason. Somehow it was running in the background and using some resources. The leaked Google Music APK was also killing my battery a few days ago. Like causing it to drop 10 percent in about 10-15 minutes when I was done using it (wasn't downloading offline music or anything).

kehs

Banned
Zombie James said:
On CM7 I can force-close any app I want by long-pressing Back. Don't see what the problem is.

That's a dev feature though, the problem is people swiping away apps in the middle of a process and then going back and not seeing their data properly committed or changed.

Force closing to me is the equivalent of end process tree on a windows machine.

andycapps said:
Hopefully someone will get more clarification.. Maybe they're just freezing the process.

But they're already frozen if they're not in the foreground.

I don't know, guess well find out November.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it will kick the app representation to the notification bar while the process finishes and then close it? Its already pretty common for active processes to appear in the notification bar while they run.

giga

I'm testing it on the emulator. I start up the browser, go back home, and then go to settings. It's not in the running apps list, but it is a cached background process. Swiping it away in the recent apps list kills that cached background process.

I then start up music, go back home, and then go to settings. It is in the running apps list, so I swipe it away in the recent apps list. It starts out with 1 process and 1 service, and when I swipe it away, it kills the process but then starts to restart it. Weird.

Running:

WOfsh.png

After dismissing it in recent apps, it restarts, then starts back up:

m0otm

kehs

Banned
giga said:
I'm testing it on the emulator. I start up the browser, go back home, and then go to settings. It's not in the running apps list, but it is a cached background process. Swiping it away in the recent apps list kills that cached background process.

I then start up music, go back home, and then go to settings. It is in the running apps list, so I swipe it away in the recent apps list. It starts out with 1 process and 1 service, and when I swipe it away, it kills the process but then starts to restart it. Weird.

Running:

WOfsh.png

After dismissing it in recent apps, it restarts, then starts back up:

m0otm

Oh god, they are force closing it.

Expect a shitstorm from users using apps that don't properly save state.

andycapps

Copernicus said:

It'll be a temporary shitstorm until the developers fix their save states. This is much more preferable than just freezing it as it's ambiguous. You wouldn't gain anything by that other than clearing some room off that screen. This shows that when you're done with that app and won't be using it soon, you just drag it off. Makes sense to me. In fact, I was very excited when they showed this part in the presentation.

While I can hold down the back button in MIUI and it does the same thing, this is quicker and much more intuitive.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, but after you force close it still gets loaded back into memory, it just gets removed from the list. It should just remove it from the list and not force close it.

Giga is there an option to turn the previews back to icons? /wishful thinking

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well I've noticed that in Honeycomb, apps in the recent apps list that haven't been used in a while are force closed automatically, but still remain in the list.

Divvy said:
Well I've noticed that in Honeycomb, apps in the recent apps list that haven't been used in a while are force closed automatically, but still remain in the list.
Force close isn't just the same as completely closed. Force close will stop the process being able to do any cleanup stuff.

I really doubt Google is force closing the apps, rather waiting for them to do their cleanup then closing them, rather than keeping them frozen, otherwise they'd have definitely mentioned this in their dev guides for ICS.

Futureman

Copernicus said:

how do you know there isn't some instruction that says "Don't force close until the app's process is complete"?

Top Bottom