• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
how do you know there isn't some instruction that says "Don't force close until the app's process is complete"?

I didn't see mentions of anything like that in the recent updates, maybe I overlooked it.

Copernicus said:
This is me gloating over stupid shit, like saying sprint will get the nexus prime.

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/21/samsung-galaxy-nexus-will-see-a-sprint-release/

They ordered promotional posters. Does that mean it'll hit before the end of the year?

sprintnexusprime-NEW.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Friendly Monster said:
Force close isn't just the same as completely closed. Force close will stop the process being able to do any cleanup stuff.

I really doubt Google is force closing the apps, rather waiting for them to do their cleanup then closing them, rather than keeping them frozen, otherwise they'd have definitely mentioned this in their dev guides for ICS.

Okay then what I mean is that those programs will just close. When I try to open them again from the recent apps list it will basically just restart the app.

However, this may be something Lenovo added to Honeycomb as their version has a close button on every tile of the recent apps list.

The plot thickens.

Looking through the source code for Samsung's sign up page, someone found:

<P class="checkbox" id="cb_optin1_desc" >I would like receive special email offers and Nexus S 4G Galaxy Nexus information from Sprint Samsung</P>

It could be sloppy coding (reusing the code from the Nexus S 4G sign up page, if one existed).

There was also a reference to GalaxyNexusVerizon, but that's old news.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
Oh, so just standard 3G.

How is Verizon/Sprint 3G compared to T-mobile's hspa+ speeds?

No comparison (tmobiles is much faster)

Couple that with if you want to believe the reports, Sprint is utter ass right now due to the Iphone. Like, embarassingly bad depending on where you are

JoeFu

Banned
Sprint speeds blew when I was using my cousins phone in so-cal, like .8 mbps, while I get almost 4mbps on t-mobile (whenever I can get a signal).

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
No comparison (tmobiles is much faster)

Couple that with if you want to believe the reports, Sprint is utter ass right now due to the Iphone. Like, embarassingly bad depending on where you are

Well, I'm still willing to stick with Tmobile for another two years. Hopefully by 2014 Sprint has their LTE shit together and I can finally make the jump.

Husker86

SimleuqiR said:
Oh, so just standard 3G.

How is Verizon/Sprint 3G compared to T-mobile's hspa+ speeds?
CDMA 3G speed has never been a bragging point for them. When I was on Sprint I'd get 0.7-2mbps (2 was rare). Verizon is slightly better, but not by much.

I don't think the iPhone had that much of an effect, unless the bigger cities are really suffering. Sprint has always been that slow (unless we're talking sub 400kbps).

SimleuqiR

Husker86 said:
CDMA 3G speed has never been a bragging point for them. When I was on Sprint I'd get 0.7-2mbps (2 was rare). Verizon is slightly better, but not by much.

I don't think the iPhone had that much of an effect, unless the bigger cities are really suffering. Sprint has always been that slow (unless we're talking sub 400kbps).

Interesting.

Not sure why Tmobile doesn't get more business.

Just tested my speed:

95180702.png

Is going to be difficult to give that up.

andycapps

Sprint's 3G for me here in Columbus, OH is over 1 Mbps down and close to that up. I'm guessing that the growing pains for them with the new iPhone users will cause a decrease in some areas in their speeds until they can ramp up more capacity.

Would love to have the Nexus Prime on Sprint.. Looking like it's about to happen.

Husker86

SimleuqiR said:
Interesting.

Not sure why Tmobile doesn't get more business.

Just tested my speed:

95180702.png

Is going to be difficult to give that up.
Err, that's your T-Mobile speeds? That isn't HSPA+ in its prime unless you had virtually no signal strength. And 1 second ping? When I had AT&T and the iPhone4 I would get 3-6mbps consistently.

If that's what you're used to, going to Sprint wouldn't be so bad (except for upload).

SimleuqiR

Husker86 said:
Err, that's your T-Mobile speeds? That isn't HSPA+ in its prime unless you had virtually no signal strength. And 1 second ping? When I had AT&T and the iPhone4 I would get 3-6mbps consistently.

If that's what you're used to, going to Sprint wouldn't be so bad (except for upload).

No, I get better speeds in the city. Currently up north (Whiteplains, NY) and the speedtest.net app decided on a NJ server. My signal is not the best in this area.

Pctx

Banned
I will literally walk into a Sprint store and knock over a magazine rack and then punch someone if Sprint gets the Nexus and not AT&T.

SimleuqiR

Pctx said:
I will literally walk into a Sprint store and knock over a magazine rack and then punch someone if Sprint gets the Nexus and not AT&T.

Make sure whom ever you punch is recording the whole ordeal with his/hers iPhone 4S....we want to see that on Youtube.

Recon

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Make sure whom ever you punch is recording the whole ordeal with his/hers iPhone 4S....we want to see that on Youtube.

Make sure its in landscape, its so annoying seeing videos in portrait mode, its not that hard to tilt your phone people!

The dream is dead. One by one, disappointments piled up after the Nexus Tuna announcement.

- No SD card slot
- last generation GPU
- No 64 GB version

But the straw that broke the camels back is PenTile. PenTile is shit. I can't believe they are putting that shit in what is supposed to be Google's flagship Nexus phone. I will never buy a device with a PenTile display. Period.

kehs

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The dream is dead. One by one, disappointments piled up after the Nexus Tuna announcement.

- No SD card slot
- last generation GPU
- No 64 GB version

But the straw that broke the camels back is PenTile. PenTile is shit. I can't believe they are putting that shit in what is supposed to be Google's flagship Nexus phone. I will never buy a device with a PenTile display. Period.

Uh...both the n1 and ns had pentile amoled displays.

Copernicus said:
Uh...both the n1 and ns had pentile amoled displays.

So did the Droid Incredible. I saw my friends Incredible and the first thing I asked him was "Why is the text all blocky?" At the time I had no idea why the text looked like it was rendered at half the resolution of the rest of the screen. Now I know about PenTile. Fuck that shit.

kehs

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
So did the Droid Incredible. I saw my friends Incredible and the first thing I asked him was "Why is the text all blocky?" At the time I had no idea why the text looked like out was rendered at half the resolution of the rest of the screen. Now I know about PenTile. Fuck that shit.

lol

rozay

Banned
Considering that there were a lot of people saying the text looked crisp and blogs only started caring when a website that hasn't even held the device said it was pentile, I'm waiting to see it in person.

Considering the galaxy note had a sharper screen than the S2 with pentile in that article someone posted, if they're using the same subpixel arrangement in the nexus, it'll hopefully be pretty sharp to the eyes. The math doesn't add up though unless there's something different about these screens.

Copernicus said:
Meh, I saw it the first time I turned on my nexus one and that was before reading any articles about it. It's really visible if you're reading a lot of white text on black, or looking at solid colored images. I'm not even going to get into the terrible banding on grays. I live with it because I feel the nice blacks+colors are a worthy tradeoff, though they do need to be tweaked a bit out of the box.

Sky Chief

rozay said:
Considering the galaxy note had a sharper screen than the S2 with pentile in that article someone posted, if they're using the same subpixel arrangement in the nexus, it'll hopefully be pretty sharp to the eyes. The math doesn't add up though unless there's something different about these screens.

Not only the S2, text looked just as clean as on the iPhone 4S screen.

Looks like that Twitter campaign worked.

VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNG

Features the Latest Version of Android and America’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.

Additional features:
· 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
· Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
· First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
· 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
· 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
· 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
· Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
· Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
· Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google&#65291; app

Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.

"Later this year" huh?

Also, CTRL+F for "Exclusive" or "Exclusively" = no results.

Fucking win.

Paznos

Vyse The Legend said:
Looks like that Twitter campaign worked.

"Later this year" huh?

Also, CTRL+F for "Exclusive" or "Exclusively" = no results.

Fucking win.
The only thing Exclusive would be the LTE, it's a NEXUS phone :p

Copernicus said:
catarl + f for exclusive...no results?

for yea

Yeah, Verizon always talks up their exclusive launches.

For reference, the RAZR PR release (and Verizon's other exclusive phone releases) said:

A true marvel of design, this smartphone packs strength and smarts into a stylish package offered exclusively from Verizon Wireless.

kehs

Banned
So that's....two "announcements" for this phone and still no god damn availability information.

Good job Google.

I'm guessing they are getting everything set up with all the carriers for a simultaneous US release.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
better come to AT&T, subsidized too.

if not........Galaxy S2 then wait for the ICS upgrade

Top Bottom