• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Pctx

Banned
Hey now, I'm just trying to have the most calm, realistic expectations of how Google and Samsung are going to somehow F the US customers over on a GSM based Nexus.

Pctx said:
Hey now, I'm just trying to have the most calm, realistic expectations of how Google and Samsung are going to somehow F the US customers over on a GSM based Nexus.

I'm as pessimistic as you on this one.

I expect we will have to import the GSM version, if we want it on day 1.

Husker86

FindMyFarms said:
What carrier and how much?
Verizon, $30...it's a grandfathered plan, they switched to tiered in June or July. If you have a smartphone on Verizon now though with unlimited 3G, you should be able to go to unlimited 4G no problem.

Husker86 said:
Verizon, $30...it's a grandfathered plan, they switched to tiered in June or July. If you have a smartphone on Verizon now though with unlimited 3G, you should be able to go to unlimited 4G no problem.

Fuuuuu, so starting a plan now = no luck?

Husker86

FindMyFarms said:
Fuuuuu, so starting a plan now = no luck?
No luck. Would have to go on the 2GB plan (which is still $30, unlike AT&T's slightly less "fuck you" of $25).

You can buy more monthly allocation, but the prices are outrageous.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pctx said:
You bumped this thread just to get those anxious for this phone blood pressure raised? ugh.
2 seconds after that info is announced stump is gonna get a pm to change the title. Or someone can make a new thread. Whatever is best.

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
2 seconds after that info is announced stump is gonna get a pm to change the title. Or someone can make a new thread. Whatever is best.
| OT 4.0 | - The Galaxia Nexsophicus - Thread of Samsung and Google - Building Better Worlds

Noricart

Akkad said:
They still haven't made an official announcement about US carriers and price?
I can see it now... The Samsung Galaxy Nexus... for only $200 (plus $100 LTE tax and another $50 for stock Google.)
without the 3g pentaband version in sight.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:

Samsung and Google Announce Galaxy Nexus - Take 3

Some accessories appeared on Samsung's website with a release date of November 21st.

A pair of Samsung OEM accessories for the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus (i515) appeared for sale online. Well, almost appeared seeing how there are no actual images of the accessories. The Samsung multimedia dock ($69) and vehicle mount ($50) are both up for pre-order with an “expected” release date of November 21st. This gives us another clue on when to expect the actual device to launch on Verizon seeing how the dock is specifically made for the slightly thicker i515.

Unfortunately, they're for the Verizon version, adding further doubt to them releasing the GSM version here at the same time.

MiniKelly

Android 4.0 supports usb gamepads. Does that mean any ice cream sandwich phone can play xperia play games with a usb controller?

Also it will be cool to plug in my xbox/pc street fighter fightstick to play some games.

gcubed

MiniKelly said:
Android 4.0 supports usb gamepads. Does that mean any ice cream sandwich phone can play xperia play games with a usb controller?

Also it will be cool to plug in my xbox/pc street fighter fightstick to play some games.

i believe it would need to be supported. That functionality is already built into honeycomb, and games i believe some times get updated to use it

Jim

garath said:
Google's not dumb, there will be a way to disable any and all automatic uploading.

I'm sure it'll work just like the G+ app does now. You can restrict it to only auto-upload when in WiFi range and/or charging. That's what I do and it syncs up photos and video beautifully.

kehs

Banned
Google is urging developers to add wifi options for uploads (something they are doing themselves, even the regular email app has a "download only on wifi" for attachements)

from the android developers site.

Network Usage

Android 4.0 gives users precise visibility of how much network data their applications are using. The Settings app provides controls that allow users to manage set limits for network data usage and even disable the use of background data for individual apps. In order to avoid users disabling your app’s access to data from the background, you should develop strategies to use use the data connection efficiently and adjust your usage depending on the type of connection available.

If your application performs a lot of network transactions, you should provide user settings that allow users to control your app’s data habits, such as how often your app syncs data, whether to perform uploads/downloads only when on Wi-Fi, whether to use data while roaming, etc. With these controls available to them, users are much less likely to disable your app’s access to data when they approach their limits, because they can instead precisely control how much data your app uses. If you provide a preference activity with these settings, you should include in its manifest declaration an intent filter for the ACTION_MANAGE_NETWORK_USAGE action.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thats really fucking awesome. You can so easily work around bandwidth caps with granular settings.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there any chance that a network carrier would have access to that ICS data monitor feature and figure out which
tethering
apps I'm using?

MiniKelly

Honeycomb supports ps3 gamepad so I think ice cream will support it as well. Ill try to play some xperia play games when I get this.

kehs

Banned
Greyface said:
Is there any chance that a network carrier would have access to that ICS data monitor feature and figure out which
tethering
apps I'm using?

It's almost guaranteed, and it's probably the main reason it's part of ICS to begin with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about tiered data that burns my ass is they still want to differentiate between tethered and nontethered?

"unlimited" plans? ok, the distinction makes a little more sense.. but when i have a hard 5gig cap or whatever? Fuck you, you can't restrict how I'm going to use that data I pay for.

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
The thing about tiered data that burns my ass is they still want to differentiate between tethered and nontethered?

"unlimited" plans? ok, the distinction makes a little more sense.. but when i have a hard 5gig cap or whatever? Fuck you, you can't restrict how I'm going to use that data I pay for.
diehard3.jpg

Different buckets!?!?!?!? 5GB caps!??!! HOW!?!?!?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I had to tineye that image to find out it was from DieHard3. lol, and I still don't get the joke. :[

I feel like I've been swearing a lot this morning.. I think I drank too much coffee.

kehs

Banned
Are people still interested in this thing?

Jeez, no Gorilla Glass, Android, Pentile, No SD Card, and now this(stolen from XDA):

Redo of calculations on pixel density:

3.5" diagonal on iPhone 4/4s, Meizu M9
= 2.901" x 1.957" (calculated from trigonometry)
= 5.677 square inches of screen
Resolution of 960 x 640
= total pixel count of 614400
= total sub pixel count of 1843200 (614400 x 3 subpixels per pixel, RGB repeated)
= 324678.5 subpixels per square inch (1843200 sub pixels / 5.677 square ")

4.65" diagonal on Galaxy Nexus
= 4.052 x 2.28 (calculated from trig)
= 9.23 square inches of screen (notice this is a lot larger than on the iPhone 4, Meizu M9)
Resolution of 1280 x 720
= total pixel count of 921600
= total sub pixel count of 199696.6 (921600 x 2 subpixels per pixel, RG and BG alternating repeated)

Totals:

iPhone 4/4s, Meizu M9
324,678.5 sub px per sq inch

Galaxy Nexus
199,696.6 sub px per sq inch

=/\=

Disgusting, can't even break the 200,000.0 sub px per sq inch mark

This thing is basically a repackaged G1.

Blackhead

Redarse
Copernicus said:

Jeez, no Gorilla Glass, Android, Pentile, No SD Card, and now this(stolen from XDA):

*rolls eyes*

In other news the LG Optimus LTE, the one with a 4.5–inch 1280x720 “True HD IPS” display (it's got all the subpixels you could ever want), is coming to North America? No release date or pricing info included of course, because that would make it too easy for early adopters.

Copernicus said:

lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Copernicus said:

How does this information really matter to regular joes?

kehs

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
How does this information really matter to regular joes?

How does it not?

iPhone 4/4s, Meizu M9>>>>>>>>>>>>Galaxy Nexus
324,678.5 sub px per sq inch > 199,696.6 sub px per sq inch

linsivvi said:
According to the website www.price.com.hk the price of the Galaxy Nexus (non-LTE version) will be retailing for HK$4798, which translates to US$617.2.

That sounds about right. If they sold it here directly, it would probably cost $529, like the Nexus One and S. However, I expect importing price hikes, plus exchange rates to influence the cost.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
andycapps said:
Easy guys, he may just not be familiar with Coperdickus and his ways.

I'm getting familiar. Sometimes I want to take his post serious, but it's hard when you don't understand the numbers in his slick post.

Top Bottom