• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

JonnyBrad

Adamm said:
I thought this was coming to Vodafone in the UK, or did I imaging that?
Might have to buy it sim-free then :(

They haven't sorted the details yet but i got a wink from them on twitter about it when i asked. Most phones don't end up operator exclusive anymore here.

killakiz

gcubed said:
So... am I going to be sad going to LTE battery life? We have quite a few LTE phone owners in here don't we? Is it really that bad?
No one really knows yet, the Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Razor share a new LTE chip. Hopefully greater battery performance will come along with the slimmer profiles.

123rl

Copernicus said:
Google is finally getting there Worldwide everywhere Nexus release and it's shitted up with "Galaxy Nexus".
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I have no idea about what LTE and HSPA+ mean, but from what I gather there will be different models for these two networks. Do we know the differences? In the London presentation they mentioned the thickness of the HSPA+ model. Is the LTE going to be thicker?
Does somebody have a link in which they show which model will be made available per country or something?

Sorry for asking so many questions all of the time :/

EDIT:

By the way, I am checking several websites in the Netherlands and some of them list 16GB and 32GB options. I hope since it is open without carriers here I can go for the 32GB one.
If I had to go for 16GB I think I would keep at least 8 GB for music. Would I have enough with 8GB for all the rest? pics, movies, apps...

gcubed

bytesized said:
I have no idea about what LTE and HSPA+ mean, but from what I gather there will be different models for these two networks. Do we know the differences? In the London presentation they mentioned the thickness of the HSPA+ model. Is the LTE going to be thicker?
Does somebody have a link in which they show which model will be made available per country or something?

Sorry for asking so many questions all of the time :/

EDIT:

By the way, I am checking several websites in the Netherlands and some of them list 16GB and 32GB options. I hope since it is open without carriers here I can go for the 32GB one.
If I had to go for 16GB I think I would keep at least 8 GB for music. Would I have enough with 8GB for all the rest? pics, movies, apps...

32GB (rumor has it) and LTE is USA and Verizon only. The rest of the world gets the HSPA+ 16gb model. The HSPA+ model is thinner.

kehs

Banned
claviertekky said:
Now your cat is homeless.

Poor smelly cat. =(

To clarify what I was trying to say last night.

It's a shame that,Google is finally releasing a Nexus phone that will be compatible in nearly every region, yet it has the horrible name of "Galaxy Nexus" attached to it.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
Poor smelly cat. =(

To clarify what I was trying to say last night.

It's a shame that,Google is finally releasing a Nexus phone that will be compatible in nearly every region, yet it has the horrible name of "Galaxy Nexus" attached to it.
Nexus Earth?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
IZ5je.png

Really pushing that 4S!

I have a few Qs, I just went through the upgrade process with the RAZR because I'm compulsive and was pretending it was the galaxy nexus. Um, so on the data it renamed the unlimited package to "unlimited web and email." And its listed below all the tiered packages of data.
5hebr.png

The only reason that is an option is because I'm grandfathered in, right? Theres no funny business going on, right? I can still get 4G and do all the usual stuff I'm used to, right?

Futureman

I want to know the answer as well Jtwo. Pretty sure we should be fine. I'm gonna go for my early upgrade in June of 2012. If they don't grandfater my unlimited data to a 4G plan, I'm just gonna wait until October when my contract is up and cancel with Verizon.

another question... would unlimited data on an Android phone transfer to an iPhone?

Paznos

Yup, the only reason you're seeing the unlimited plan is because your grandfathered in otherwise it wouldn't be there, that means unlimited LTE once you have it.

adroit

Jtwo said:
And its listed below all the tiered packages of data.
I know everyone already knows this but I'm going to say it again anyway. It's obscene what mobile carriers charge for data. On cable, we get 250 GB a month for $45 (Comcast, everyone's favorite ISP...cough). That's two orders of magnitude difference. It burns my britches.

Futureman

Have they said anything about holding a photo up to trick the facial recognition?

or is it just assumed that you won't use Face Unlock if you have important data on your phone?

Can't wait to hold one in my hand.... and then cry bitter tears as I glance at the price ticket.

Looks absolutely glorious.

Have they said anything about holding a photo up to trick the facial recognition?

They did mention that it would be possible to trick facial unlock by skinning someone alive and then wearing their face as a mask, but you have to ensure the skin is clean and free of any major tears.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I actually had a dream about the Nexus last night. Well, kind of a half dream I was sorta awake. The multitasking menu looked really weird and toyish in my dream. Like the app icons were those kids shape toys that you have to put through a hole of corresponding shape. And it was very colorful.

wow, it just hit me that with hdmi output and possibilities to use usb control pads it will be like having a portable HD console! Are there games for android that support gamepads? And emulators?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How can you do HDMI and USB at the same time though. Is there a splitter?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah ok, fair enough. Are there dualshock drivers? Nevermind, I don't even care. I will never try to do that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am interested in the GTA3 10th anniversary edition. That game holds a special place in my icy heart.

So are games expected to render in 720p, or are they just going to upscale?

pootle

Just a quick update on my ordering from Handtec, I got the confirmation order email today.

Totally painless and I can only add my positive experience to everyone else's.

kinggroin

Banned
sionyboy said:
Can't wait to hold one in my hand.... and then cry bitter tears as I glance at the price ticket.

Looks absolutely glorious.

They did mention that it would be possible to trick facial unlock by skinning someone alive and then wearing their face as a mask, but you have to ensure the skin is clean and free of any major tears.

Hmmm, this could be a potentially great scene in a contemporary horror movie.

Uh, oh.

According to the UK's Telegraph:

“At a recent Samsung European launch…the company confirmed that the European launch will precede the device going on sale in America and the rest of the world.”

There was a quote last week from the Samsung event that implied as much, but this is the first time that I've seen anyone flat-out say that Europe will get it first.

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:
Uh, oh.

According to the UK's Telegraph:

There was a quote last week from the Samsung event that implied as much, but this is the first time that I've seen anyone flat-out say that Europe will get it first.

I really wouldn't mind if I can purchase the phone no later than January 2012. That's when my Nexus One will be 2 years old.

Top Bottom