• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

def sim

Okay, it's November. They better announce some US dates soon.

I've already convinced myself that it's okay to buy this unlocked and full price. I figured I'll use my upgrade on an affordable back up phone. Nexus S or whatevs.

:/

Futureman

Bad_Boy said:
to droid 4, or to nexus. to keyboard or not to keyboard. that is the question.

:(

Have you ever had a non-keyboard phone? The 4.6" screen should make the buttons on the onscreen keyboard very easy to hit. Plus keyboards keep getting better and better at correcting mistakes.

Does anyone know if Blindtype is fully integrated into ICS?

SimleuqiR

Futureman said:
Have you ever had a non-keyboard phone? The 4.6" screen should make the buttons on the onscreen keyboard very easy to hit. Plus keyboards keep getting better and better at correcting mistakes.

Not sure. But they supposedly improved the keyboard. Could be that the underlining code is now all Blindtype.

3phemeral

Bad_Boy said:
to droid 4, or to nexus. to keyboard or not to keyboard. that is the question.

:(
Well, after having a Droid2 as my first smartphone for the past year, I was heavily reliant on the keyboard until I got a hold of swype, and now just completely don't use it after SwiftKey. After it gets used to your texting style, I literally can type 1 letter most the time and one of the three suggested words will be something I was going to say next.

[edit] woops, i meant Swype --> swiftkey

kehs

Banned
3pheMeraLmiX said:
Well, after having a Droid2 as my first smartphone for the past year, I was heavily reliant on the keyboard until I got a hold of swift key, and now just completely don't use it after SwiftKey. After it gets used to your texting style, I literally can type 1 letter most the time and one of the three suggested words will be something I was going to say next.

It doesn't that well for me, I pretty much end up using it like any other keyboard.

=/

gcubed

so, new rumor is supply problems for Verizon version of phone. (from phandroid "tipster")

Desire to go to Verizon is waning.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
so, new rumor is supply problems for Verizon version of phone. (from phandroid "tipster")

Desire to go to Verizon is waning.

As long as this doesn't mean the GSM version gets artificially delayed in the USA is fine by me.

3phemeral

Copernicus said:
It doesn't that well for me, I pretty much end up using it like any other keyboard.

=/
Well, I've found that what I text is sort of a happy medium between what I want to type versus what's predicted text. Sometimes I'll want to type another word, but I'm just too lazy to type it if a close-enough alternative pops up.

The only time it becomes a problem is when I'm typing in web addresses, because I don't rely on the accuracy of my presses when I'm texting (it corrects me easily), but that option isn't available for typing in the url field (for obvious reasons), so I have a tendency to botch it up.

This doesn't happen on my Transformer though; keyboard's big enough.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
crazy monkey said:
It do not like thread title. It has been long since the event. Just neuxs prime ot would suffice.
Yeah, I agree. I was hoping to just wait until we got a release date so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of getting a mod to change it more than once. But it seems like that is just wishful thinking now.. soo.. I'll go ahead and try to get someone to do it. I'm going to try and update the OP, too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Futureman said:

Last keyboard-less phone was an LG Dare. Not capacitive, so that doesn't count.
But I can't see myself typing without a keyboard, I've become used to texting without even looking at the phone. With no keyboard, not really sure that's possible.

Don't read that as texting while driving, because I don't.

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Well, after having a Droid2 as my first smartphone for the past year, I was heavily reliant on the keyboard until I got a hold of swype, and now just completely don't use it after SwiftKey. After it gets used to your texting style, I literally can type 1 letter most the time and one of the three suggested words will be something I was going to say next.

[edit] woops, i meant Swype --> swiftkey
I've tried swype, and it's pretty amazing. But nothing beats actually a hardware keyboard imo. I simply swear by it. But galaxy nexus looks amazing.

Jtwo said:
Yeah, I agree. I was hoping to just wait until we got a release date so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of getting a mod to change it more than once. But it seems like that is just wishful thinking now.. soo.. I'll go ahead and try to get someone to do it. I'm going to try and update the OP, too.

yeah it will be much more appropriate. with price point , carriers and release schedule at least. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Name change Ahoy! Thank your friendly neighborhood mod, everybody!

3phemeral

Bad_Boy said:
Last keyboard-less phone was an LG Dare. Not capacitive, so that doesn't count.
But I can't see myself typing without a keyboard, I've become used to texting without even looking at the phone. With no keyboard, not really sure that's possible.

Don't read that as texting while driving, because I don't.

I've tried swype, and it's pretty amazing. But nothing beats actually a hardware keyboard imo. I simply swear by it. But galaxy nexus looks amazing.
I'm pretty amazed at how I made the transition without realizing it. I was an adamant keyboard user at the beginning, then somewhere along the line I was thinking about it and couldn't remember when I stopped using it.

More of a general question, but here goes...

I got my last upgrade through wirefly and they state something about getting a fee for activating a new phone on your line before the two years have passed... Has anyone dealt with this before? I would like to sell my droid x and scoop up one of the new phones coming out but I'm not sure how to approach this situation.

I am going to fill up the papers to order the 32GB Nexus with a 1 year vodafone contract for just 181€! Pretty good deal or not, GAF?

Question: Since in the Netherlands the phone is open, does that mean that the phone will not be attached to just the vodafone sim and I will be able to use other sims? That would be amazing since I am from Spain and I would like to change the sim card when in my own country. Now I wish it had 2 sim card slots, that would've been perfect.

Confirmed: Verizon Galaxy Nexus delayed until the week OF or AFTER Black Friday.

galaxy-nexus-verizon-launch-592x600.jpg

Europe will get it first.

Paznos

How can something be delayed if no release date was never announced to begin with? All Verizon said was later this year.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
Confirmed: Verizon Galaxy Nexus delayed until the week OF or AFTER Black Friday.

oh well, i'm out. I'm assuming i can get it unlocked from somewhere around the 17th, i'll just stay on ATT

kehs

Banned
If they delay the unlocked release just for Verizon, I might not even pick it up.

Just on principle, I'm not supporting Google for doing that shit.

Paznos said:
How can something be delayed if no release date was never announced to begin with? All Verizon said was later this year.

Considering the rest of world is getting it on the 17th, this is a huge (comparative) delay.

gcubed

i still dont think it confirms anything. Thats an advertising plan, not a release plan. We already knew Verizon wasn't advertising it, and it doesnt have anything about the Nexus by itself (like the RAZR vs Moto Portfolio w/ RAZR)

Copernicus said:
If they delay the unlocked release just for Verizon, I might not even pick it up.

Just on principle, I'm not supporting Google for doing that shit.

i'm hoping you can buy it on google.com/nexus unlocked.

Paznos

Vyse The Legend said:
Considering the rest of world is getting it on the 17th, this is a huge (comparative) delay.
If we're going off that picture I guess Verizon didn't get the iPhone 4S yet and will get it sometime after the 14th of Nov.

Noricart

Vyse The Legend said:

GENIUS. Verizon, being evil and all, probably won't put out the Nexus on Black Friday. If they do, it'll be normal price. A.K.A LTE tax version.
My hopes dropped like a gold brick.

Paznos said:
If we're going off that picture I guess Verizon didn't get the iPhone 4S yet and will get it sometime after the 14th of Nov.
That's an advertising campaign. It is possible that they will release the Nexus two weeks before promoting it, but it is highly unlikely.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
That's an advertising campaign. It is possible that they will release the Nexus two weeks before promoting it, but it is highly unlikely.

how long has the Iphone 4s been out?

gcubed said:
how long has the Iphone 4s been out?
That's wholly irrelevant. It is the frickin' iPhone. Given the timing, this new marketing campaign is clearly designed to highlight why Black Friday and holiday shoppers should get the iPhone on Verizon, not Sprint or AT&T.

Hence why the slide says it is taking place during Black Friday. I know everyone is in denial, but the slide heavily suggestions a late launch for the Nexus.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
That's wholly irrelevant. It is the frickin' iPhone. Given the timing, this new marketing campaign is clearly designed to highlight why Black Friday and holiday shoppers should get the iPhone on Verizon, not Sprint or AT&T.

Hence why the slide says it is taking place during Black Friday. I know everyone is in denial, but the slide heavily suggestions a late launch for the Nexus.

Verizon will not be advertising the Galaxy Nexus, we knew this already, it gets a back seat into Samsung Holiday rollup. I may be in denial, but that says nothing about what this paper tells us. You're taking as much of a leap on this as I am. And heavily suggests is not confirmed

edit... anyway, it doesnt matter. If google sells it directly in the US, i think i talked myself into staying on ATT with HSPA+

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm allowing myself to consider getting an iPhone for the next few minutes. I could have it tomorrow if I really wanted to.
but seriously, whats another 2 weeks or whatever

Top Bottom