• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
gcubed said:
yeah, there has been some pretty credible rumblings that its launching on Verizon on the 17th. It was supposed to be available earlier then that (initally the 7th) but Verizon pushed it back due to the Rezound and RAZR.

I'll find it quite amusing if we get this before America. First the Galaxy S2, now the Galaxy Nexus.

Europe > America confirmed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I want to wait a good while on the Vita. Make sure the library pans out. I'm really hoping/expecting a lot of PSN titles make the jump to it.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
I want to wait a good while on the Vita. Make sure the library pans out. I'm really hoping/expecting a lot of PSN titles make the jump to it.

yeah i preordered it a while ago and cancelled it the other day. I want it to be successful, but i would like to see an inkling of western support

OriginalThinking said:
I'll find it quite amusing if we get this before America. First the Galaxy S2, now the Galaxy Nexus.

yup, fully Verizon's fault on that one. Handsets they can junk up with their bloatware get priority

SimleuqiR

OriginalThinking said:

In the mobile industry? Hands down Europe>>>>>>>America.

We get it up where the sunlight don't shine, without K-Y gel, from our carriers.

SimleuqiR said:
In the mobile industry? Hands down Europe>>>>>>>America.

We get it up where the sunlight don't shine, without K-Y gel, from our carriers.

Is the reception/coverage thing a big deal in America? Doesn't really matter too much in the UK as all the networks have similar coverage or have agreements with the other networks to partner up for the areas where one has good, the other has bad. There are still the odd blackspots but not many. So the competition is pretty intense and you can get some amazing deals if you shop around.

gcubed

OriginalThinking said:
Is the reception/coverage thing a big deal in America? Doesn't really matter too much in the UK as all the networks have similar coverage or have agreements with the other networks to partner up for the areas where one has good, the other has bad. There are still the odd blackspots but not many. So the competition is pretty intense and you can get some amazing deals if you shop around.

moreso contract stipulations and incompatible carriers. If you hate ATT you can't move your phone to Verizon, etc. There is not as much competition because you are stuck in one place for 2 years with a phone thats only good on that network

gcubed

Pctx said:
So can the LTE Nexus be used internationally since it has the giga-ton world bands or am I dreaming?
Do we know if it does though? The GSM one has everything. Why care its never coming out anyway

Blackhead

Redarse
Does Android's USB host mode mean I can connect an external hard drive through the microusb port (or even an SD card via an adapter)?

outsidah

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Holy hell. Too many options. I can't decide between the razr, note, or the nexus. Though the note isn't coming for verizon, right?

I don't think the Note is in the same group. While I think it's a cool device it really is more of a crossover device between a phone and tablet. I couldn't make it my one and only for my daily carry.

Razr is not a competitor IMHO. All it is is form factor. Nexus will always have latest software and is designed from the ground up for ICS.

Just my 2 cents.

Oozer3993

Greyface said:
Does Android's USB host mode mean I can connect an external hard drive through the microusb port (or even an SD card via an adapter)?

I don't think so. My Xoom has USB host mode, but only works with mice, keyboards, and gamepads.

The Telegraph is reporting they have received confirmation from Samsung that the Galaxy Nexus will be launching on November 17th in the UK but that’s not all. Apparently, the US version of the device (currently headed to Verizon Wireless) wont launch until a week after the UK launch, at the earliest.

This is the first time we’ve heard this kind of news, whether rumor or from our own inside sources, so we’re filing this one under “highly suspect.” Keep in mind, Verizon recently backtracked and removed the “exclusive” title from their banner ad of the Galaxy Nexus a few days ago. Adding to further speculation is a thread from our very own Android Forums in which a Verizon inside source claims the device was put on the back-burner as it wont be coming bundled with the usual “Verizon bloatware.” That source also claims the device will see the previously rumored Nov. 17th launch date but for the US as well.

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/31/verizon-galaxy-nexus-launching-a-week-after-uks-nov-17th-release/

Google should care but they probably don't.

The phone will come out when it comes out is probably what Google is thinking and all they care about. Android is still being developed on many other phones so...

I thought as much before reading the rumors about the delayed release. Motorola's phone was announced the same day and it almost immediately had a release date. Something was/is going on why they won't announce the Nexus date and the logical answer is they don't want it to conflict with other big hitters.

According to MobileSyrup, it's coming to Canada within a few weeks, but there's some cause for concern:

When Google and Samsung announced the Galaxy Nexus and Android OS 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, Google’s Andy Rubin (the Father of Android) also listed Canada as one of the counties that would be on the initial roll out. However, if you’re keeping an eye on the Galaxy Nexus information page you’ll see that there’s a drop down menu that lists 19 counties, Canada is MIA. In addition, the official press release that went out omitted Canada too. However, rest assured, we’ve confirmed from a few of our sources that the Galaxy Nexus will be coming to Canada “within the next few weeks” – just waiting to hear back on details of carriers (hearing various rumours of an exclusive).

Also, the Canadian model will apparently be the 9250M. The pentaband one is the 9250 (no M).

Although, to be fair, we don't know what the 9250M changes, if anything.

gcubed

D'ultimate said:
Google should care but they probably don't.

The phone will come out when it comes out is probably what Google is thinking and all they care about. Android is still being developed on many other phones so...

I thought as much before reading the rumors about the delayed release. Motorola's phone was announced the same day and it almost immediately had a release date. Something was/is going on why they won't announce the Nexus date and the logical answer is they don't want it to conflict with other big hitters.
That's already been said by a few insiders in vzw, those same people said Nov 17th on Verizon, which was originally the 7th (we've had this conversation a few posts up already :) )

Its solely to give phones they can junk up with their crapware time to sell since "they don't get anything out of the nexus"

Husker86

D'ultimate said:
The Telegraph is reporting they have received confirmation from Samsung that the Galaxy Nexus will be launching on November 17th in the UK but that’s not all. Apparently, the US version of the device (currently headed to Verizon Wireless) wont launch until a week after the UK launch, at the earliest.

This is the first time we’ve heard this kind of news, whether rumor or from our own inside sources, so we’re filing this one under “highly suspect.” Keep in mind, Verizon recently backtracked and removed the “exclusive” title from their banner ad of the Galaxy Nexus a few days ago. Adding to further speculation is a thread from our very own Android Forums in which a Verizon inside source claims the device was put on the back-burner as it wont be coming bundled with the usual “Verizon bloatware.” That source also claims the device will see the previously rumored Nov. 17th launch date but for the US as well.

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/31/verizon-galaxy-nexus-launching-a-week-after-uks-nov-17th-release/

I am confused by the last sentence. It says the US will get November 17th release date? Is it talking about a non-Verizon version?

gcubed

Husker86 said:
I am confused by the last sentence. It says the US will get November 17th release date? Is it talking about a non-Verizon version?
Mentioned above, vzw "insiders" have said the 17th through phandroid. That date was initially the 7th, the the 10th, and now the 17th

Keyouta

Vyse The Legend said:
...Coming to Canada within a few weeks. (Might be exclusive.)

I really hope the rumors don't turn out to be true. Also, they should hurry up and announce the release date, we're into November soon.

rabhw

Please don't be exclusive to Bell, that's all I'm asking for. All other carriers in Canada let you buy an unlocked phone without a contract and WITHOUT making you sign up for a plan. In order to buy an unlocked phone from Bell without using their service, you still have to sign up for a plan with them, and then cancel within the first month. And pay the first month. And pay the $35 activation fee.

In conclusion, fuck Bell.

Husker86

gcubed said:
Mentioned above, vzw "insiders" have said the 17th through phandroid. That date was initially the 7th, the the 10th, and now the 17th

Ok, hold on. That article first says the UK date is the 17th and VZW is rumored to be a week after. Is the article just mentioning different information from different sources to be thorough? Or am I still missing something.

Cipherr

rabhw said:
Please don't be exclusive to Bell, that's all I'm asking for. All other carriers in Canada let you buy an unlocked phone without a contract and WITHOUT making you sign up for a plan. In order to buy an unlocked phone from Bell without using their service, you still have to sign up for a plan with them, and then cancel within the first month. And pay the first month. And pay the $35 activation fee.

In conclusion, fuck Bell.

Hmm, Ive been with Sprint since forever. Do our carriers allow people to do this? Or do you have to have already completed a contract? I mean, as far as I know, I could go buy a phone from someone on Craigslist (not that I ever ever would) that was Sprint capable, and then activate it on my account, but I finished my most recent contract like 6 months ago, so Im just month to month now.

Do our carriers allow new customers to bring their own phones, then just hop onto a $80 or whatever a month mobile plan month to month? Or do they force them to sign a contract, whether they bring their own phone or not?

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:
Hmm, Ive been with Sprint since forever. Do our carriers allow people to do this? Or do you have to have already completed a contract? I mean, as far as I know, I could go buy a phone from someone on Craigslist (not that I ever ever would) that was Sprint capable, and then activate it on my account, but I finished my most recent contract like 6 months ago, so Im just month to month now.

Do our carriers allow new customers to bring their own phones, then just hop onto a $80 or whatever a month mobile plan month to month? Or do they force them to sign a contract, whether they bring their own phone or not?

Sprint/Verizon = CDMA, each device must be actived on their network before it works. Your phone number is tied to your phone through programming.

Att/tmo = GSM, No activation, you can jump from device to device without carrier intervention. Just swap out your sim card, your phone number is tied to the sim card.

Canadialandian carriers are mostly GSM(right?).

(GSM! GSM! GSM!)

gcubed said:
moreso contract stipulations and incompatible carriers. If you hate ATT you can't move your phone to Verizon, etc. There is not as much competition because you are stuck in one place for 2 years with a phone thats only good on that network

The whole 2 year thing is the same here. You take a contract for 2 years and you don't like the phone/carrier then you are stuck for 2 years until you quit. Can you port your number between networks easily? I'm aware that sim's and handsets are incompatible between the different networks as there are GSM, CDMA, different bands etc. So at the end of your contract the phone you have is pretty much stuck to the network you have which sucks. On the other hand there is nothing stopping you changing subscriber at the end of your contract though is there?

Do you guys have sim only contracts?

gcubed

Husker86 said:
Ok, hold on. That article first says the UK date is the 17th and VZW is rumored to be a week after. Is the article just mentioning different information from different sources to be thorough? Or am I still missing something.
Some UK place said this (the delay). Rumor also has it that we should have concrete vzw dates this week

Husker86

Cipherr said:

On Verizon you can bring your own phone (purchased of Craigslist or whatever) and start a new account with no contract. Obviously the phone has to be a Verizon phone.

Sprint does not allow this. If you are a new customer, even if you buy a Sprint phone from a different source, you have to sign a 2-year contract. Ridiculous. However, even though you are under contract you are still eligible for a full upgrade whenever you want--upgrade dates and contract dates are actually separate, they just usually reset with each other; except in the previously described case. If you are already a customer you can buy your own phone and activate it without starting another contract though.

gcubed said:
Some UK place said this (the delay). Rumor also has it that we should have concrete vzw dates this week
I want to believe. But, they're announcing the HTC Rezound this week, so I'm skeptical that we will also get a Nexus date.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
I want to believe. But, they're announcing the HTC Rezound this week, so I'm skeptical that we will also get a Nexus date.
HTC is announcing it, Verizon isn't a part of the announcement on the 3rd.

gcubed said:
HTC is announcing it, Verizon isn't a part of the announcement on the 3rd.

That remains to be seen. Plus, they're already promoting it in their stores, which is way more support than the Nexus has gotten (and ever will).

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
That remains to be seen. Plus, they're already promoting it in their stores, which is way more support than the Nexus has gotten (and ever will).
I'm trying to kept hope alive.

Rur0ni

-Pyromaniac- said:
Random question but it's naturally assumed that google will be make future Nexus phones with Motorola right (aka with themselves)?
Felt like they said it will in no way influence the selection process.

Rur0ni said:
Felt like they said it will in no way influence the selection process.

Copernicus said:
hope you guys are right. TBH I'd rather have HTC. They still make the best looking/feeling hardware. Motorola and Samsung seem to have this cheap plastic fetish that's kind of annoying.

Cipherr

Husker86 said:
On Verizon you can bring your own phone (purchased of Craigslist or whatever) and start a new account with no contract. Obviously the phone has to be a Verizon phone.

Sprint does not allow this.

Thats a shame. What about AT&T?

Husker86

Cipherr said:
Thats a shame. What about AT&T?

AT&T will allow it as well. As far as I know, Sprint is the only one who makes new customers sign a 2-year contract even if they provide their own Sprint phone. Just to reiterate, you said you are already a Sprint customer, you can get a phone somewhere else and activate it without signing another contract.

kIdMuScLe

Copernicus said:
Sprint/Verizon = CDMA, each device must be actived on their network before it works. Your phone number is tied to your phone through programming.

Att/Sprint = GSM, No activation, you can jump from device to device without carrier intervention. Just swap out your sim card, your phone number is tied to the sim card.

Canadialandian carriers are mostly GSM(right?).

(GSM! GSM! GSM!)

Sprint is not GSM network. T-mobile is a GSM network

Cipherr

Husker86 said:
AT&T will allow it as well. As far as I know, Sprint is the only one who makes new customers sign a 2-year contract even if they provide their own Sprint phone. Just to reiterate, you said you are already a Sprint customer, you can get a phone somewhere else and activate it without signing another contract.

Ive given some pretty bad advice to some friends though who arent current Sprint customers. Thanks for the info guys. Didn't know this.

gcubed

-Pyromaniac- said:
hope you guys are right. TBH I'd rather have HTC. They still make the best looking/feeling hardware. Motorola and Samsung seem to have this cheap plastic fetish that's kind of annoying.
I'd rather have nothing to do with the under powered hardware, small battery rehashed design of HTC. At least both moto and Samsung have SOME variatiins.

Top Bottom