• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

Samsung on Thursday gave more details on availability for the Galaxy Nexus in Europe. It'll be available Nov. 17. Here are details country-by-country:

United Kingdom: O2, Three, SIM-free
Ireland: Three
France: SFR, SIM-free
Germany: Vodafone, O2, SIM-free
Italy: TIM, Vodafone, Three, Wind, SIM-free
Spain: Vodafone, SIM-free
Portugal: Vodafone, SIM-free
The Netherlands: SIM-free
Belgium: SIM-free
Sweden: Telia, Three
Austria: A1, Three
Slovenia: Mobitel, SiMobil
Poland: SIM-free
Hungary: Telenor
Czech Republic: Vodafone, SIM-free
Slovakia: SIM-free
Greece: Vodafone
Romania: Vodafone, Cosmote
Bulgaria: M-Tel
Croatia: VIP
Serbia: Vodafone

Freedooooooooom!!!!!

Some of these countries don't have Sim-free options. I could see the USA being one of them.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
why is sim free good?

Canada not part of Europe confirmed.

I assume it means it comes without a carrier sim card, thus contract free.

Canada is just feeling the Big Red-poopy pants influence in North America.

gcubed said:
why is sim free good?

Canada not part of Europe confirmed.

Well, there's that -- but also, they're the only major country that's been completely mum about this thing.

Even the US got Verizon to at least confirm it.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:

oh, i was overthinking it i guess. I thought it was some newfangled authorization for GSM

Blackhead

Redarse
SimleuqiR said:

How hard is it to unlock an Android phone anyway?

Blackhead

Redarse
DrFunk said:
Easy if you know the unlock code - just put in another sim card and the code
Well how easy is it to get the unlock code then? For some phones the unlock code is only available through the carrier/manufacturer, e.g. iPhone, while for other phones the unlock code can be had for $5 online or at the local electronics shop, e.g. Blackberries. Both the Nexus One and Nexus S I owned earlier this year were purchased factory unlocked--I didn't even know that GSM Nexus devices could be locked o_O. If it's locked to Verizon or Rogers in North America then I'd have to get something else.

kehs

Banned
Greyface said:
Well how easy is it to get the unlock code then? For some phones the unlock code is only available through the carrier/manufacturer, e.g. iPhone, while for other phones the unlock code can be had for $5 online or at the local electronics shop, e.g. Blackberries. Both the Nexus One and Nexus S I owned earlier this year were purchased factory unlocked--I didn't even know that GSM Nexus devices could be locked o_O. If it's locked to Verizon or Rogers in North America then I'd have to get something else.

The LTE version will probably be simlocked from Verizon(just like all their "world phones". The GSM models probably won't be.

As far as geting that code, you'd call verizon and tell them you need it cause you're traveling, or as you mentioned get the code from of those websites. The SIM lock code is based on the imeie of the phone.

Remember that there's two versions of the Prime though.

Copernicus said:
The LTE version will probably be simlocked from Verizon(just like all their "world phones". The GSM models probably won't be.

As far as geting that code, you'd call verizon and tell them you need it cause you're traveling, or as you mentioned get the code from of those websites. The SIM lock code is based on the imeie of the phone.

Remember that there's two versions of the Prime though.
But the Verizon one wouldn't be compatible with the right bands anyway, right? I think their LTE bands are completely different from Euro ones.

alternade

Has anyone had experience importing phones from the UK or even Canada? How big of a price difference is it and what oter charges are involved getting it here? Im thinking i'll just jump on a Canadian one when they become available. It should be compatable with tmobile 4g correct?

kehs

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
But the Verizon one wouldn't be compatible with the right bands anyway, right? I think their LTE bands are completely different from Euro ones.

Would vary by region I imagine, but we haven't seen the FCC filing yet.

(I'm also making a huge assumption about the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE SAMOLED 720P by Verizon being a world phone btw, I haven't seen anything indicating that)

Paznos

Copernicus said:
Would vary by region I imagine, but we haven't seen the FCC filing yet.

(I'm also making a huge assumption about the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE SAMOLED 720P by Verizon being a world phone btw, I haven't seen anything indicating that)
I really hope it's a world world, would come in handy next year.

gcubed

Paznos said:
I really hope it's a world world, would come in handy next year.

i tried using my nexus 1 overseas, its great for emergency calling, but calling from there back home (US) was still crazy expensive even with buying sim cards. It was much easier to use grooveip

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
gcubed said:
i tried using my nexus 1 overseas, its great for emergency calling, but calling from there back home (US) was still crazy expensive even with buying sim cards. It was much easier to use grooveip
Was Groove IP free? Or did it count as international calling when dialing US numbers from outside N America?

gcubed

Bboy AJ said:
Was Groove IP free? Or did it count as international calling when dialing US numbers from outside N America?

uses your google voice number, so as long as you are calling back to where your voice number is free, you are good.

So calls to the US over wifi were free, well besides wifi in the hotel.

You can use skype also, but that costs like $x/month for US calling

Also, you can get a relatively cheap data SIM (like, unlimited data for a week or two, for less than $10) in many countries so you always have data with you. Much better to travel with access to searches, maps, etc. And you can make your GrooveIP calls over 3G. :D

Here's a wiki I use to help find foreign data SIM providers.

http://wiki.apnchanger.org/Main_Page (like the name suggests, you probably have to manually change your APN settings when you put in another SIM)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I like that light up charging cable.
Speaking of which any super clear HD videos of the notification LED in action?

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
I like that light up charging cable.
Speaking of which any super clear HD videos of the notification LED in action?

Yup.

(however I don't know where it is)

-----

That phone is huge if that's the N1 case....

Remind me never to watch an Android Central podcast again. Apart from the fact that they all sound boring as shit, they look kinda strange and the host seemed a bit weird. I mean, I'm a phone geek - But not like that, right? Right?

Adamm said:
I thought this was coming to Vodafone in the UK, or did I imaging that?
Might have to buy it sim-free then :(

You imagined it. o2 and 3.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Remind me never to watch an Android Central podcast again. Apart from the fact that they all sound boring as shit, they look kinda strange and the host seemed a bit weird. I mean, I'm a phone geek - But not like that, right? Right?

You imagined it. o2 and 3.

I remember trying to watch a podcast a few years back, can't remember what site.

I turned it of like...two minutes in when I realized I'd rather just read shit about tech instead of listening to someone huff on a microphone in between mentioning related stuff.

Copernicus said:
I remember trying to watch a podcast a few years back, can't remember what site.

I turned it of like...two minutes in when I realized I'd rather just read shit about tech instead of listening to someone huff on a microphone in between mentioning related stuff.

I think I've been spoiled by the former Engadget now This Is My Next/Verge crew podcasts. It's just a bunch of mates who are incredibly passionate about technology, love debating, have no problem disagreeing with each other and seem to have a ton of fun doing it. Engadget just doesn't feel the same without Josh Topolsky and the the other regulars. I'm really looking forward to the launch of The Verge on Wednesday.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also looking forward to the monthly video interview show starting again.

Apparently, Verizon has confirmed the November 17th release date.

Edit: False alarm. It was just an insider from Phandroid, who has been very accurate in the past.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
False alarm. It's a date from an insider that has provided info to Phandroid in the past (for the Galaxy Nexus).

i shall roll my gloating back in until it is confirmed, but it makes sense with their map dates and the RAZR info

gcubed

So... am I going to be sad going to LTE battery life? We have quite a few LTE phone owners in here don't we? Is it really that bad?

Top Bottom