• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

I also have a strange feeling that the Verizon version will be the 3G Xoom. It gets updates quickly, but not as fast as the GSM version since it has some different hardware

Oozer3993

Dammit Verizon. You know you have me by the balls and now you're twisting. But I am a weak, weak man. I'm in for one even at that late date.

alternade

Could Verizon really be that petty and anti consumer that it would delay a phone just because they werent allowed to fuck it up with their bloatware?

I wish the next time someone interviews the Android team they grow a pair and press them on this!

Doesnt really make a difference to me anyways as I cant afford to be on Verizon in th first place and will wait for a sprint or tmobile compatible version im guessing next year.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
That's what Dream tells all of us. I'd trade my 10.1 inches for 7 inches tomorrow. Just as long as I can put it on a dock & hook it into my hi-fi.

It's what all the cool kids do.

Speaking of docks, the longer they futz around with the Nexus Prime, the more and more I'm inclined to wait for asus's padfone. Be awesome if they make 7 and 10 screen "docks" for that phone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, I forgot about the padphone announcement.

3phemeral

I really hope this "phone can be converted into any form factor" trend continues because I'd love to see more software support for the kinds of interface changes. But I suppose this is where ICS can really play a huge benefit in flexibility if it's really as robust as people are indicating via SDK tests.

Phone? Laptop? Tablet? Television?

I wouldn't mind it one bit.

kehs

Banned
3pheMeraLmiX said:
I really hope this "phone can be converted into any form factor" trend continues because I'd love to see more software support for the kinds of interface changes. But I suppose this is where ICS can really play a huge benefit in flexibility if it's really as robust as people are indicating via SDK tests.

Phone? Laptop? Tablet? Television?

I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Most of the stuff is already in place to do it. The multiscreen support is part of the apk design. The market can already deliver different apks to different devices. The only missing things are....the actual devices. I don't think context specifics changes made it into the actual ICS code, but there's nothing stopping asus from incorporating it (they already do have some part of it in the TF like no onscreen keyboard when docked).

3phemeral

Copernicus said:
Most of the stuff is already in place to do it. The multiscreen support is part of the apk design. The market can already deliver different apks to different devices. The only missing things are....the actual devices. I don't think context specifics changes made it into the actual ICS code, but there's nothing stopping asus from incorporating it (they already do have some part of it in the TF like no onscreen keyboard when docked).

Yeah, it seems like this is the way it's headed anyway. Motorola and Asus are already providing different docking options (that lapdock stuff was horrible when I tried it out at the Verizon store, though). Only problem is lack of universal design that makes it expensive to have all of these Android options with tons of different form factors, let alone super risky.

Maybe this is a feature that would be limited to whatever high-end flagship product you're selling and having it limited to only that. I'm kinda already regretting buying so many docks for my phone only to be considering a new phone a year into my D2 purchase. But that's because ICS looks so damned sexy.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
It's OK, I'll give you regular updates on how much I'm loving my new Galaxy Nexus whilst you saps wait it out. It's the least I can do.

You're gonna miss out on all nosey transforming bus chicks.

Pctx said:
Latecommer to the thread huh? US. I'm in the line with all the other peeps importing it it seems.

Oh I've seen you around. Something of a startling resemblance to Ridley Scott. Beyond waiting or importing, Verizon's announcement (well it's not really an announcement, just a leaked roadmap) changes nothing GSM stylee. Move to Scotland.

Copernicus said:
You're gonna miss out on all nosey transforming bus chicks.

I confess that I have no idea what you are talking about.

Husker86

Hmm, I'm really excited to use Black theme on secondapps webapp when I have SAMOLED...it's the little things I look forward to.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
I confess that I have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mRcx1rxTLG8#t=79s

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mRcx1rxTLG8#t=103s

(I was seriously watching the PR videos when you posted.)

Jtwo said:
REALLY, Copernicus? The Padphone? Really?

Is it a pad, is it a phone?

It's padfone!

Q1 2012 is perfect timing for quadcore kal-el, HD displays, and ICS launch devices.

VPhys

Jtwo said:
I'm allowing myself to consider getting an iPhone for the next few minutes. I could have it tomorrow if I really wanted to.
but seriously, whats another 2 weeks or whatever

Glad I'm not the only one. It's quite amazing that I'm even considering the 4S, I mean, the phone is drastically different than the Nexus. From screen size, to OS, to features, the phones are polar opposites. I guess I'm attracted to the fact that each is the latest and greatest for their respective ecosystems.

But the 4S just seems so last generation to me. And the fact that Siri has been hacked to work on the Iphone4/Ipod Touch, and rumors that it will eventually be rolled out to other IOS devices, FURTHER makes me feel like the 4S is last generation hardware and I'm not getting the best phone that's out there.

The RAZR would be nice but has two things going against it, no ICS, and I've owned a Droid X for a year and would like a fresh form factor.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oozer3993 said:
Greyface said:
Does Android's USB host mode mean I can connect an external hard drive through the microusb port (or even an SD card via an adapter)?
I don't think so. My Xoom has USB host mode, but only works with mice, keyboards, and gamepads.
Assuming this is true for the Galaxy Nexus as well are there any workarounds, third party apps or custom ROMs that would add this functionality?

SimleuqiR

Husker86 said:
Hmm, I'm really excited to use Black theme on secondapps webapp when I have SAMOLED...it's the little things I look forward to.

I love the secondapps Neogaf webapp, since it allows me to read Gaf on my phone, I just don't like the whole iPhone-nesk look it has. Using inverted colors makes it look even worse, although it does help with battery life on the Nexus One.

screenshot-1320329310024.png

Husker86

DCX said:
Black theme do tell?

DCX

Click settings on the home page. I think it's called "Invert Colors".

SimleuqiR said:
I love the secondapps Neogaf webapp, since it allows me to read Gaf on my phone, I just don't like the whole iPhone-nesk look it has. Using inverted colors makes it look even worse, although it does help with battery life on the Nexus One.

Yeah I agree it doesn't look great, however I think seeing all the perfect blacks will make me like it...because I'm weird. Plus the battery life deal.

kehs

Banned
SimleuqiR said:

screenshot-1320329310024.png

Turn off the Interface GFX, it gets rid of the fisher price buttons, and looks closer to wp7/HC flat shading style.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Turn off the Interface GFX, it gets rid of the fisher price buttons, and looks closer to wp7/HC flat shading style.

Oh...really? Thanks!!

Edit:

Shiiiii! Much better, and loads faster too.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
Galaxy Nexus on Verizon

CONFIRMED!!!! NOV 17th!!! CONFIRMED!!!
sorry vyse, had to :)

http://i.imgur.com/M2WU6.png[IMG]

[url]http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/03/work-in-progress-document-states-november-17-for-the-galaxy-nexus-on-verizon/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28droid+life%29[/url][/QUOTE]

The sooner this thing gets released on Verizon, the sooner we will know about the GSM unlocked version.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. I seriously almost bought an iPhone yesterday. It was in the cart and everything.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
The sooner this thing gets released on Verizon, the sooner we will know about the GSM unlocked version.

i'm actually back in toss up if i want to go to Verizon or get the unlocked GSM

gcubed said:
Galaxy Nexus on Verizon

CONFIRMED!!!! NOV 17th!!! CONFIRMED!!!
sorry vyse, had to :)

l]

:) Not a problem.

Rest assured, I want to eat crow on this one -- and eat it happily. However, the memo in question is supposedly a "work in progress" memo. So, it's still a toss-up at this point.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
i'm actually back in toss up if i want to go to Verizon or get the unlocked GSM

I don't believe the Verizon model will get updates as soon as the GSM version, specially if the phone is a big hit in Europe.

But my main reason for not going to Verizon is that they are too rich for my blood.

Emily Chu said:
wait is the cdma version also on the 17th ?

For the sake of this phone, it should be available worldwide on the 17th, even if the USA only gets the Verizon model at the time.

I feel that Verizon has been cock-blocking this phone from the beginning. If they really push the release after Black Friday then they don't really care for the phone selling much and are just trying to keep potential GSM Model buyers from getting the phone as soon as Europe.

Fuck Verizon!

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
I don't believe the Verizon model will get updates as soon as the GSM version, specially if the phone is a big hit in Europe.

But my main reason for not going to Verizon is that they are too rich for my blood.

i'm pretty sure the LTE version will be a bit behind as well. I'd like some info on the GSM version though, if its only 16gb $550 is my limit

ScOULaris

Quick question about Ice Cream Sandwich that I have yet to see answered:

When you open an application from within a folder, does it close the folder automatically?

That's the one thing that has always kept me from using folders in Android. If you open an app in a folder, the folder stays open on that homescreen indefinitely until you manually close it. It's a nitpick, I know, but from a usability standpoint it would just work so much better if opening an app closed the folder.

If anyone has an answer to this and/or a video showing someone opening an app from within a folder, please share.

HooDoo

You might want to check SiMi Folder, it's light and pretty fast and it looks like it does the job.

I use it instead of folders from AppOrganizer.

ScOULaris

HooDoo said:
You might want to check SiMi Folder, it's light and pretty fast and it looks like it does the job.

I use it instead of folders from AppOrganizer.
I do use SimiFolder on my Nexus S, but I was hoping that the new built-in folder functionality for Ice Cream Sandwich would be viable instead. Something as simple as folders shouldn't be hard to get right.

kehs

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Quick question about Ice Cream Sandwich that I have yet to see answered:

When you open an application from within a folder, does it close the folder automatically?

Survey says:

Yes, they close.

Top Bottom