• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Oozer3993 said:
Nobody is allowed to have it before Verizon.
Training material leaked. I can't link, because I'm on my phone.

But, it mentions 32gb for Verizon, and it states Verizon is the exclusive launch partner, confirming a timed exclusive.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Training material leaked. I can't link, because I'm on my phone.

But, it mentions 32gb for Verizon, and it states Verizon is the exclusive launch partner, confirming a timed exclusive.

http://thedroidguy.com/2011/11/veri...ng-materials-and-comparison-for-galaxy-nexus/

I like how their "Global" features means : Global Service Activation Required.

-Mobile Hotspot requires a subscription.

Verizon approved updates almost guaranteed.

Welp, samsung can keep their nexus phone I'm out for sure now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bboy AJ said:
What the hell happened to Google? They're so fucking ridiculous. They used to be cool.

PAID.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just can't believe Google did this. And the net neutrality thing with VZW, too. Disgusting.

Apple never sold out or compromised the product.

Cipherr

No US carriers are going to allow free tethering anywhere guys... Even Sprint clamped down on that. Its been long dead a long time ago. I understand wanting it, but lets be honest, this isnt exactly sudden.

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:
No US carriers are going to allow free tethering anywhere guys... Even Sprint clamped down on that. Its been long dead a long time ago. I understand wanting it, but lets be honest, this isnt exactly sudden.

I tether for free all the time on t-mo.

JonnyBrad

Verizon can go fuck themselves if they're stopping me from getting a 32gb version in the UK. What's the fucking point allowing one carrier that is irrelevant apart in all but one country to get it first.

ps. The US mobile phone system needs overhauling. The carriers seem to dictate everything. Including stuffing phones full of crap. It just doesn't happen that way in Europe.

edit: having looked at the promo stuff i can't see that it proves that Verizon is behind the delay. They can still fuck off tho.

Pctx

Banned
Copernicus said:
http://thedroidguy.com/2011/11/veri...ng-materials-and-comparison-for-galaxy-nexus/

I like how their "Global" features means : Global Service Activation Required.

-Mobile Hotspot requires a subscription.

Verizon approved updates almost guaranteed.

Welp, samsung can keep their nexus phone I'm out for sure now.
Doesnt work on GSM carriers confirmed. F it. Im waiting for a few months before getting a new phone thanks to Samsung Google and Verizon f'ning over the consumer as usual.

Is it this model that will work on Verizon shitty CDMA only but another model will release later for GSM? Or is this the only Nexus model planned?

JonnyBrad

OriginalThinking said:
My UK Network is cool with tethering tho I rarely need to use it, because my laptop is too big to be truly portable.

Yeah as soon as Three (i think) started offering it they have all started falling in line. Tho Orange/T Mobile haven't dropped the charge yet they will have to soon as everyone will just move to the others.

/posted from my laptop tethered to my vodafone gs2 ;)

JonnyBrad

GoldenEye 007 said:
Is it this model that will work on Verizon shitty CDMA only but another model will release later for GSM? Or is this the only Nexus model planned?

The GSM model is launching this month in Europe. Only 16gb confirmed atm tho.

kehs

Banned
GoldenEye 007 said:

The CDMA model is going to verizon (which hasn't even passed through fcc yet).

The GSM model is the one being sold all over the europe right now(which already passed fcc testing, but is not coming to the states apparently lol)

JonnyBrad

Copernicus said:
The CDMA model is going to verizon (which hasn't even passed through fcc yet).

The GSM model is the one being sold all over the europe right now(which already passed fcc testing, but is not coming to the states apparently lol)

Only 16gb in europe at launch however.

Google could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

outsidah

Bboy AJ said:
I just can't believe Google did this. And the net neutrality thing with VZW, too. Disgusting.

Apple never sold out or compromised the product.

How did they sell out compared to Apple exactly?

rozay

Banned
outsidah said:
How did they sell out compared to Apple exactly?
Their flagship phone has a global launch with the best hardware only available on a carrier that is incompatible with the rest of the world

Blackhead

Redarse
Copernicus said:
They'll probably get the proper GN(GSM) like they did the GSII.
I'm scared Verizon is going to be the sole distributor in NA for the first few months. I really don't want to import from Europe at a great expense :(

rozay

Banned
Greyface said:
I'm scared Verizon is going to be the sole distributor in NA for the first few months. I really don't want to import from Europe at a great expense :(
If this ends up being the case fuck google and samsung, they're not getting my money.

kehs

Banned
Greyface said:

Get on the padfone train with me!

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
Was the Nexus One available worldwide the same date as T-Mobile USA? Just curious.

The N1 that was compatible with T-Mo was sold unlocked directly from Google, but I don't think they were shipping internationally. Around march/april when the ATT compatible version was released carriers from other countries started selling it through their own stores.

Husker86

Copernicus said:
The N1 that was compatible with T-Mo was sold unlocked directly from Google, but I don't think they were shipping internationally. Around march/april when the ATT compatible version was released carriers from other countries started selling it through their own stores.
OK, so what's so different about this launch again? Google hasn't changed.

outsidah

rozay said:
Their flagship phone has a global launch with the best hardware only available on a carrier that is incompatible with the rest of the world

A GSM version is due this month in the UK, did you miss that?

ZimJaBim

Neo Member
I can't take this. I am still using my iphone 3g, my contract has been up for 2 months and my screen has degraded to the point where gray bars now cover all the text when i try and type. I don't want another apple phone but Google is taking way to damn long.

I give them one more week and then i am going to crack. Is the Razer is the best upcoming phone that will release this month?

rozay

Banned
outsidah said:
A GSM version is due this month in the UK, did you miss that?
The 32GB version isn't and it's possible (the gsm version) won't be available in the USA initially.

I can understand LTE being verizon only when there aren't many markets up yet in the world, but carrier exclusivity when you have a pentaband variant of the phone that works globally is ridiculous.

Fox318

ZimJaBim said:
I can't take this. I am still using my iphone 3g, my contract has been up for 2 months and my screen has degraded to the point where gray bars now cover all the text when i try and type. I don't want another apple phone but Google is taking way to damn long.

I give them one more week and then i am going to crack. Is the Razer is the best upcoming phone that will release this month?
NTb5N.jpg

outsidah

rozay said:
The 32GB version isn't and it's possible (the gsm version) won't be available in the USA initially.

I can understand LTE being verizon only when there aren't many markets up yet in the world, but carrier exclusivity when you have a pentaband variant of the phone that works globally is ridiculous.

It does sound like the US GSM version will be delayed. I'd be much happier if they had released them here at the same time, but they made a business decision. If they weren't bringing it out at all I could understand. Unfortunately we have to play the waiting game or import.

Recall how long the iPhone was a GSM exclusive. Not sure why Google is "selling out" for doing something similar.

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
OK, so what's so different about this launch again? Google hasn't changed.

You can't do anything with a Verizon phone other than use it on verizon.

You can take a gsm unlocked phone to any gsm carrier (there actually are smaller gsm carriers within the US).

The original N1 phone wasn't tied to any carrier, just compatible. The GN is tied to Verizon.

e: It would literally be, like buying an Asus Laptop from Comcast that only works on Comcast instead of a retail store.

Oozer3993

Copernicus said:
You can't do anything with a Verizon phone other than use it on verizon.

You can take a gsm unlocked phone to any gsm carrier (there actually are smaller gsm carriers within the US).

The original N1 phone wasn't tied to any carrier, just compatible. The GN is tied to Verizon.

e: It would literally be, like buying an Asus Laptop from Comcast that only works on Comcast instead of a retail store.

There are smaller CDMA carriers in the US as well. Verizon phones can be used on Cricket, for example.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm getting pretty annoyed that there hasn't been news of any Canadian release of this phone. Google said it was coming, but no details after that at all.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well Andy Rubin said it would available in Canada in november when it was unveiled. Nothing since then.

def sim

ugh

I'm still hoping for an unlocked GSM release this month. I'm picking up a subsidized Nexus S for ICS anyway, so I'm good to wait until the end of December.

Top Bottom