• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

So this thing is hitting India before the end of the year.

I swear Google, you better release the GSM model in the USA by January!!!! Or I will curse you Khan style!

20090603_khaaaan_190x190.jpg

Zeppu

SimleuqiR said:

I swear Google, you better release the GSM model in the USA by January!!!! Or I will curse you Khan style!

But why not get the GSM version from europe. Surely having it first is worth the extra price you pay.

Davidion

SimleuqiR said:

You know what really annoys me? That you didn't just post the animated gif.

SimleuqiR

Davidion said:
You know what really annoys me? That you didn't just post the animated gif.

I'm not ready to scream...yet. That's why you get the Kirk about to scream image. Trying to be patient here.

josephdebono said:
But why not get the GSM version from europe. Surely having it first is worth the extra price you pay.

They need to announce something in regards the GSM model for the USA. It is T-mobile compatible. If they delay it for months then I will import.

josephdebono said:

Are there any online retailers that ship to America in Europe? I'd like to import one from Spain, if possible.

SimleuqiR

SAMSUNG CONFIRMS GALAXY NEXUS UK LAUNCH DATE
Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus device coming to UK shores in November

4th November 2011, London, UK – Samsung today announced the first smartphone to feature Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and a 4.65” HD Super AMOLED display, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, will be available in the UK from Thursday 17th November.

New press release from Samsung.

You Brits are lucky mofos.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
if you're waiting for a subsidized version i'd say your waiting until at least Jan.

No, I don't care for subsidization. I want the unlock GSM model available in the USA, either through Google's website, Amazon, or Best Buy. Something!

If they want to keep it subsidized only with Verizon, I have no issues with that, as long as I can buy it here in the USA unlocked.

SimleuqiR said:
New press release from Samsung.

You Brits are lucky mofos.
Ooooh, only 13 days. Hopefully retailers will now have some concrete prices to advertise (prices that'll be under £500....which might be wishful thinking)

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
No, I don't care for subsidization. I want the unlock GSM model available in the USA, either through Google's website, Amazon, or Best Buy. Something!

If they want to keep it subsidized only with Verizon, I have no issues with that, as long as I can buy it here in the USA unlocked.

I really can't see a reason why Google isn't going to sell it on its website on the 17th. I'm holding out hope

gcubed said:
I really can't see a reason why Google isn't going to sell it on its website on the 17th. I'm holding out hope

Didn't they say they would not sell phones directly anymore? For the Nexus S, we had to go to Best Buy...

That said, Best Buy does have the Galaxy Nexus in their system right now -- but only the Verizon version.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
Didn't they say they would not sell phones directly anymore? For the Nexus S, we had to go to Best Buy...

That said, Best Buy does have the Galaxy Nexus in their system right now -- but only the Verizon version.

son of a whore if they dont want to sell it.

Not sure BB would sell an unsubsidized phone not attached to a network. Amazon is our only home then

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
son of a whore if they dont want to sell it.

Not sure BB would sell an unsubsidized phone not attached to a network. Amazon is our only home then

That's how the Nexus S was sold d00d.

Copernicus said:
That's how the Nexus S was sold d00d.

I just want to know the options in the US already. It has been several weeks now with little-to-no update for North America (Canada and US).

It's beginning to sound like the UK is the only country getting this on the 17th. I mean, that's not true, but based on the lack of release confirmations, it certainly feels that way.

gcubed

i just dont see the downside to google or the carriers (even exclusive Verizon) to offer unsubsidized phones via some channel.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
i just dont see the downside to google or the carriers (even exclusive Verizon) to offer unsubsidized phones via some channel.

Carriers can't control what the phone does basically.

gcubed said:

There is none.

If they don't sell the unlocked GSM one here on day 1, it'll only be because that's what they negotiated with Verizon -- nothing else.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
There is none.

If they don't sell the unlocked GSM one here on day 1, it'll only be because that's what they negotiated with Verizon -- nothing else.

But thats my point, why would verizon care? 98% of people going to buy phones buy them on contract subsidized... and 98% is probably low

yes true Copernicus, but they have no say in the unlocked version being on sale.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
But thats my point, why would verizon care? 98% of people going to buy phones buy them on contract subsidized... and 98% is probably low

yes true Copernicus, but they have no say in the unlocked version being on sale.

But who buys at full price in the states? Verizon has to provision every handset, they don't want to deal with random cdma phones they're not making money from.

besides, only crazy fanboys buy full price, and that's like....8 sales. Nokia has been doing the unlocked thing in the states for a while though, it's just not a big market.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
But who buys at full price in the states? Verizon has to provision every handset, they don't want to deal with random cdma phones they're not making money from.

besides, only crazy fanboys buy full price, and that's like....8 sales. Nokia has been doing the unlocked thing in the states for a while though, it's just not a big market.

not talking about CDMA. Let the CDMA version only be sold through Verizon. Take that off the table, just talking GSM version.

Exactly, 8 sales, just direct ship them or something, the carriers shouldn't care. I'm one of those 8 sales

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
not talking about CDMA. Let the CDMA version only be sold through Verizon. Take that off the table, just talking GSM version.

Exactly, 8 sales, just direct ship them or something, the carriers shouldn't care. I'm one of those 8 sales

They don't care actually, but whoever is going to put them up for sale needs to make sure they can actually sell them.

That's where Best Buy stepped in for Google. Google totally underestimated all the bullshit with retail for the N1, so with the NS they let BB take care of all that.

Seems like the NS is even more hands off, as it's pretty much just a Samsung phone at this point.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
They don't care actually, but whoever is going to put them up for sale needs to make sure they can actually sell them.

That's where Best Buy stepped in for Google. Google totally underestimated all the bullshit with retail for the N1, so with the NS they let BB take care of all that.

Seems like the NS is even more hands off, as it's pretty much just a Samsung phone at this point.

sell it through samsung.com!

Hey guys, guess what's back on the Samsung US product page for the Galaxy Nexus.

SamsungFAIL.png

They renamed it to "from Samsung" for a while, but I guess they changed it back.

I love that they didn't bother updating the form, and it still asks for your carrier preference, adding insult to injury.

Copernicus said:
Not sure why anyone would pay full price for a verizon phone.
So they're not under-contract, and can leave on a whim.

Now that Best Buy and Costco are only listing the Verizon version, I think the GSM version in the US probably won't hit this year. I'll give it one more week for an official announcement before submitting my UK order.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
So they're not under-contract, and can leave on a whim.

Now that Best Buy and Costco are only listing the Verizon version, I think the GSM version in the US probably won't hit this year. I'll give it one more week for an official announcement before submitting my UK order.

Sure, they can leave and use their full price phone on.....verizon.

Copernicus said:
Sure, they can leave and use their full price phone on.....verizon.
Leave and get the next uber phone in 6 months. ETF on Verizon is horrendous.

Anyway, I learned Costco doesn't sell off-contract phones at all. Hope renewed for the GSM one elsewhere?

Circle T

Copernicus said:
Not sure why anyone would pay full price for a verizon phone.
I'm going to be paying full price, but that was my plan all along. It will be replacing my Droid Charge, which was just a temporary buy for me this summer simply to secure myself an "Unlimited" data plan before they were axed. So, I'll just sell the Charge and buy the Nexus full price to replace it, while still keeping my plan.

A Nexus phone, with LTE, on an "Unlimited" plan?? Perfection!

outsidah

Circle T said:
I'm going to be paying full price, but that was my plan all along. It will be replacing my Droid Charge, which was just a temporary buy for me this summer simply to secure myself an "Unlimited" data plan before they were axed. So, I'll just sell the Charge and buy the Nexus full price to replace it, while still keeping my plan.

A Nexus phone, with LTE, on an "Unlimited" plan?? Perfection!
Smart.

Top Bottom