• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Divvy said:
Well Andy Rubin said it would available in Canada in november when it was unveiled. Nothing since then.
Yeah, since then, they removed Canada from the list of countries on the official site. Canada's Nexus site still only lists the Nexus S, nothing else. Sounds like Verizon scored a Western Hemisphere exclusive.

dream

Man, it seems like it was only 22 months ago when Google announced the Nexus One as a bold new carrier-agnostic superphone that customers could purchase without the shackles of contracts or exclusivity.

Where has the time gone.

Keyouta

Vyse The Legend said:
Yeah, since then, they removed Canada from the list of countries on the official site. Canada's Nexus site still only lists the Nexus S, nothing else. Sounds like Verizon scored a Western Hemisphere exclusive.

I sure hope not. I'm on a loaner phone right now and want to buy the Galaxy Nexus this month.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Man, it seems like it was only 22 months ago when Google announced the Nexus One as a bold new carrier-agnostic superphone that customers could purchase without the shackles of contracts or exclusivity.

Where has the time gone.

dream....

+1

Copernicus said:
The N1 that was compatible with T-Mo was sold unlocked directly from Google, but I don't think they were shipping internationally. Around march/april when the ATT compatible version was released carriers from other countries started selling it through their own stores.
I bought my n1 directly from google last January and they shipped it here to the UK.

gcubed

dream said:

Where has the time gone.
When they sold 80 phones and didn't understand things like customer service they dropped the bold new world.

The wireless industry in the US is what happens when there is no regulation. We have companies releasing api's to let you buy a higher QoS while you are surfing on their shitty network. Can you imagine if Comcast did that?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
dream said:

Where has the time gone.
The dream is dead :(

I think I'm going to just preorder on Handtec.

edit: $700 wtf?

HooDoo

Has anyone here been using the Galaxy Nexus or held it at least for a while ?

I'm about to order it but the size is a big deal for me, it seems SO huge I fear I won't like to use it and hold it while I just can't let my Nexus S off my hands.

HooDoo said:

I'm about to order it but the size is a big deal for me, it seems SO huge I fear I won't like to use it and hold it while I just can't let my Nexus S off my hands.

It's not out yet dude

kehs

Banned
HooDoo said:

zomgwtfbbq(sp?) messed around with it, I think the post is in the android thread, last night.

HooDoo

I know all too well the Nexus isn't out yet, the waiting is killing me! But I know some people have tried it and I'm more that curious about its size and how it's handled.

And by the way, yes my post was in the other thread earlier today but I realized I wrote it in the wrong place.

Meh, between the screen size and Verizon exclusivity, I'm really sour on the GN. Wish there were a smaller version that was going out to more carriers =/

rozay

Banned
GSM 16GB will almost certainly be $529, if there's a 32GB variant it will be $629 or less while the LTE one may be more off contract.

Lesiroth

I'm kinda disappointed that even though there were no hardware buttons on the GN yet there is a bit too much bezel around the screen. I was hoping it would look more like the leaked shots of the dual-core Xperia.

It does seem to be unnecessarily large at the top and bottom, unlike say the RAZR. The girth at the top and bottom looks like it's a Samsung thing.

They certainly could have placed it somewhere else but I too like the the LED notification bezel.

It's the top bezel that seems too wide. Curiously there are no connectors at the top, they're all at the bottom.

Ok, to people worried about the size of the device, I don't think that will be too much of an issue. It's only a millimetre wider than a Galaxy S2 (on which I have no problem touching either side of the screen comfortably) and half a millimetre thicker which really doesn't mean anything. Any fears would be purely down to length - As there are no physical buttons you don't have to worry about pressing anything underneath the screen. So I did some fairly un-scientific tests using my old iPod classic 80GB which measures 4.6" corner to corner (same as the Nexus screen size) and if holding the device naturally (with my thumb positioned 3/4 down on the device) I can comfortably touch the top right hand corner and bend my thumb to reach the bottom corner and this is on a much thicker device. I don't have massive hands and I'm 5" 9" tall, so I'm not a giant by any stretch of the imagination.

Do I get GAF gold points for this stupendous geekery?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, you are awesome.

OriginalThinking is awesome everyone, don't forget it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Before the first iPhone came out I totally printed out a papercraft kit thing of it and folded and taped it up and pretended I had an iPhone... yeah.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! So does that make you the first person here to dive in?

D'ultimate said:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/401681-official-galaxy-nexus-pre-release-thread-11-21-web-only-release.html

From an 'insider' who posts on Android forums apparently. It's mentioned in the OP of the thread I'm linking to.

rabhw said:
Has anyone ever ordered from here before? The site looks sketchy as hell and I can't even trust resellerratings anymore since most companies just pay people to leave fake feedback.

Can't say I have but they are known. http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/white-nexus-s-with-atandt-bands-hands-on-video/

rabhw said:
Has anyone ever ordered from here before? The site looks sketchy as hell and I can't even trust resellerratings anymore since most companies just pay people to leave fake feedback.

I read from dudes on xda-developers that have delt with them before. They have twitter/google+/facebook, reply to emails and carry lots of other devices so it seems pretty legit to me. I have a preorder there and expansys USA aswell.

Starfish_Oxide said:
Should I wait for this or just get the Samsung Galaxy S2?

The S2 still seems superior but that new OS.

I would say wait. Benchmarks have revealed that the two phones are nearly identical in power, but you've got a much better screen on the Nexus, guaranteed timely software updates, NFC, Android Beam and no need for any capacitive or physical keys. The GS2 probably has a better camera, but that's about it. Also Touchwiz is horrible. Like some bastard Android/iOS lovechild.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Starfish_Oxide said:
Any idea on a European release date? Or is it released google is failing me.

Europe has to get a good LTE network going first. Though you could always import it, it has the 2100 mhz 3G band

Divvy said:
Is the new super fast taking picture ability due to the nexus camera or to ICS software?

Some have said it may be due the camera since Samsung chose to make it 5 instead of 8 megapixels. They could have just put the GS2s 8 megapixel camera in there.

DrFunk said:
Europe has to get a good LTE network going first. Though you could always import it, it has the 2100 mhz 3G band

So probably best to stick with the standard S2 since i guess when ice cream gets released I can just download it.

gcubed

D'ultimate said:
If you're going to wait on the GS2 then you may as well wait on the LTE model, the Skyrocket.
But that uses a qualcomm chipset. Why wait for something inferior?

OT... The lte model has a larger battery then the GSM version. That's why its thicker

Top Bottom