• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Husker86 said:
Did you write that? This information shortage really is getting frustrating. Announcements without dates suck.

D'awwwwwww, you're sweet. But no, I'm only the messenger.

How do I get in on the google plus hang out? I watched the galaxy nexus live stream over hang out. We were all impressed by the guy in the white suit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Theres a hangout coming up?! Or is this the one for Original-Tea's live Q+A session?

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
i need to get it by the 22nd, since i'll be gone for the rest of the month. I'd love to be running around chicago with the phone.

They have best buys in chicago don't they?

sneaky77

Davidion said:
Their incompetence in this area really deserves to be called out. You'd think that with all the things that companies are accused of ripping off of Apple they'd try to rip off their product management skills every once in a while.

Yeah all this uncertainty is making me consider the RAZR more

sneaky77

Copernicus said:
You can pretty much pin down all this sillyness about release date down on Verizon.

It doesn't really matter who's fucking it up, the end result for the consumer is that is a total mess.

kehs

Banned
sneaky77 said:
It doesn't really matter who's fucking it up, the end result for the consumer is that is a total mess.

It actually does matter to a degree, because if people keep eating up their shit, they'll keep doing it.

Sky Chief

Copernicus said:
You can pretty much pin down all this sillyness about release date down on Verizon.

How do you know? The situation is not much different in other regions, release dates there are still not official. Also, when has Verizon ever caused any release date guessing for Apple or, for example, the Droid RAZR?

EDIT: I blame all the silliness on Google.

This has happened now with the N1, NS, Xoom, and the GN. Face it, they are not a hardware company and they have no idea how to conduct an organized product launch or meet a launch date.

The last two product launches of the Xoom and GN have been particularly bad because of how close they have been to Apple product announcements. The Xoom and HC were obviously rushed because the iPad 2 beat they to launch and it was released in a completely unfinished manner.

I think that the only reason the GN was announced when it was was to steal mind share from the iP4S launch. Notice how all of a sudden concrete "leaks" of the GN came out the day of and day after the iP4S announcement. The original announcement was then conveniently postponed. Then they finally had a press conference a few weeks later and still no concrete info. I am just hoping that they release the GN when it is ready unlike they did with the Xoom but Google bears full responsibility for these delays.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
That is looking unlikely -- for importers (shifting dates) and Verizon customers (web-only rumors).
not unlikely! All the leaks have pointed to web only 11/21. With a pre-order on the web, i'll have it 11/21. With 4gb instead of 2!!!

Technosteve said:
How do I get in on the google plus hang out? I watched the galaxy nexus live stream over hang out. We were all impressed by the guy in the white suit.

Matias Duarte? He's awesome. He designed the user interface on Web OS and the original sidekick phones before joining the Google team just prior to the launch of Gingerbread. You should watch the first ever Verge show on Thursday (though I'm not sure if it's being webcast) because Josh Topolsky has an exclusive interview with him about Android and a bunch of other stuff no doubt.

kehs

Banned
Sky Chief said:
How do you know? The situation is not much different in other regions, release dates there are still not official. Also, when has Verizon ever caused any release date guessing for Apple or, for example, the Droid RAZR?

EDIT: I blame all the silliness on Google.

This has happened now with the N1, NS, Xoom, and the GN. Face it, they are not a hardware company and they have no idea how to conduct an organized product launch or meet a launch date.

The last two product launches of the Xoom and GN have been particularly bad because of how close they have been to Apple product announcements. The Xoom and HC were obviously rushed because the iPad 2 beat they to launch and it was released in a completely unfinished manner.

I think that the only reason the GN was announced when it was was to steal mind share from the iP4S launch. Notice how all of a sudden concrete "leaks" of the GN came out the day of and day after the iP4S announcement. The original announcement was then conveniently postponed. Then they finally had a press conference a few weeks later and still no concrete info. I am just hoping that they release the GN when it is ready unlike they did with the Xoom but Google bears full responsibility for these delays.

The Xoom is a Moto/Verizon creation (surprise Verizon is involved!). I'm not sure how "this" happened with the N1 or NS though, there were launched independent of carriers.

They managed to coordinate and announce releases on various carriers across europe for a single date, and they can't manage to get an inkling of release dates for the US? Guess whose not involved in Europe (Verizon).

They're obviously trying to work an exclusivity of the phone for the US market, and that's BS for a phone that we know has a pentaband radio built in, already FCC approved and is being used around the world at this very moment.

Sky Chief

Copernicus said:
The Xoom is a Moto/Verizon creation (surprise Verizon is involved!). I'm not sure how "this" happened with the N1 or NS though, there were launched independent of carriers.

They managed to coordinate and announce releases on various carriers across europe for a single date, and they can't manage to get an inkling of release dates for the US? Guess whose not involved in Europe (Verizon).

They're obviously trying to work an exclusivity of the phone for the US market, and that's BS for a phone that we know has a pentaband radio built in, already FCC approved and is being used around the world at this very moment.

The N1 and NS were both missed their launch date.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now there are no official launch dates in Europe except for in the UK and even then have specific carrier deals been released? This is way more than just Verizon.

Blackhead

Redarse
OriginalThinking said:
Matias Duarte? He's awesome. He designed the user interface on Web OS and the original sidekick phones before joining the Google team just prior to the launch of Gingerbread. You should watch the first ever Verge show on Thursday (though I'm not sure if it's being webcast) because Josh Topolsky has an exclusive interview with him about Android and a bunch of other stuff no doubt.
Technosteve was probably being sarcastic :/

SimleuqiR

Sky Chief said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now there are no official launch dates in Europe except for in the UK and even then have specific carrier deals been released? This is way more than just Verizon.

The Nexus One was officially announced on 1/5/10, and I bought mine that very same day:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19160461&postcount=400

Pctx said:
ORDERED!!!!

Free overnight shipping via FedEx.... NICE!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19160644&postcount=430

:-D

Greyface said:
Technosteve was probably being sarcastic :/

Nope i like the white suit guy, I dislike the turtle looking guy, what's his name Andy Rubin.

Do you think Gaf can get organized enough to do a tech podcast?

kehs

Banned
Sky Chief said:

There announcements were delayed, but when they were announced they had dates attached.

November 17th across Europe.

Technosteve said:
Nope i like the white suit guy, I dislike the turtle looking guy, what's his name Andy Rubin.

Do you think Gaf can get organized enough to do a tech podcast?

I'd be interested if someone else was able to organise it.

walbertsmith said:
Forgive me if this has already been posted...

Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S II

http://vimeo.com/31589401

Edit: Not the best comparison, just nice to see the Nexus in action

Lol the guy doesn't know that those features weren't "taken out" but added in by Samsung. Should have used a vanilla 2.3 to compare with vanilla 4.0

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There was a really good forum post over at theverge about how ghetto sense has gotten.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
so the razr is officially "meh" it seems like, next up is the rezound to move into the same territory.

Well, the "meh" category is still the "holy shit" category for regular people.

dream

gcubed said:
so the razr is officially "meh" it seems like, next up is the rezound to move into the same territory.

Oh I'm sure the next Android superphone will be the one to get it right.

When I get home I'll put together topics on google docs. And make a thread to gauge interest on the subject.

The name of the podcast shall be,

??????

gcubed

Copernicus said:
Well, the "meh" category is still the "holy shit" category for regular people.

eh, not sure "regular people" are dropping 299 on a phone without doing a cursory glance at reviews.

US Cellular (WHO!?!?!?!) is getting the LTE Galaxy Nexus in Q1 2012.

uscellular-4g-lte.jpg

Timed exclusive confirmed (yet again).

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Wheres the date?

On the right is an obvious shot of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but what about the fellow to the left of it? If my eyes aren’t failing me, I could almost bet that is none other than a Galaxy Nexus by Samsung. Both are supposedly going to be available on the carrier beginning in Q1 2012. That’s quite a ways away from now, but for devices as good as these two we’d patiently wait for them.

I don't mind waiting until January for this phone. I have way too much shit to spend monies on from now to then. As long as it's time exclusive until Q1 (early Q1) I won't mind much.

In other news, if you ordered the Galaxy Nexus from Negri Electronics, you've been bamboozled for another $50.

They jacked up the prices overnight, and they're not honoring the original $680 price tag.

SimleuqiR

Technosteve said:
Wait isn't the Verizon version LTE? This thread confuses the shit out of me

Can let you be confused Steve:

Network

Originally, U.S. Cellular used Digital AMPS "TDMA" cell phones in most markets, but the company has completed shifting over to 1xRTT CDMA technology. After the switch, U.S. Cellular has discontinued all analog and TDMA services.

In 2009, U.S. Cellular started converting its network to EVDO which offers 3G speeds. U.S. Cellular plans to eventually use GSM based LTE for its future 4G network.[10]

The company offers national 3G coverage through roaming agreements. Native coverage is mainly in the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, parts of the East and New England. Although headquartered in Chicago, U.S. Cellular did not offer service in the Chicago metropolitan area until it acquired territories from PrimeCo Communications between 2002 and 2003, after the formation of Verizon Wireless.[11]

This means GSM model in the USA Q1 ???

Vyse The Legend said:
In other news, if you ordered the Galaxy Nexus from Negri Electronics, you've been bamboozled for another $50.

They jacked up the prices overnight, and they're not honoring the original $680 price tag.

I know they jacked the price up to $769.50, but I didn't get an email about it. Was this confirmed as far as the original price not being honored?

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
LTE is a GSM based technology. You're reading too much into it

OK, maybe I am...But I doubt that US Cellular will get this phone (6+ Million subscribers) and T-mobile and AT&T will get the shaft.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
OK, maybe I am...But I doubt that US Cellular will get this phone (6+ Million subscribers) and T-mobile and AT&T will get the shaft.

yeah, i would think its a safe bet that once it leaves Verizon it'll be available for everyone

_illmatic_ said:
I know they jacked the price up to $769.50, but I didn't get an email about it. Was this confirmed as far as the original price not being honored?

A few people on various boards contacted them, and were told that they're not honoring the original price.

Here's one such person: AndroidForums

Top Bottom