• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
gcubed said:
But that uses a qualcomm chipset. Why wait for something inferior?

OT... The lte model has a larger battery then the GSM version. That's why its thicker

It also has the 4.65" HD screen, LTE, and is already announced to be receiving ICS. GS2 hasn't been formally announced to be receiving ICS I believe.

The Qualcomm processor is not that inferior. Plus it is clocked higher so it negates some of its inferiority. :)

gcubed

D'ultimate said:
It also has the 4.65" HD screen, LTE, and is already announced to be receiving ICS. GS2 hasn't been formally announced to be receiving ICS I believe.

The Qualcomm processor is not that inferior. Plus it is clocked higher so it negates some of its inferiority. :)
Only att maybe. The gs2 was what was announced to get ics first.

rabhw

_illmatic_ said:
I read from dudes on xda-developers that have delt with them before. They have twitter/google+/facebook, reply to emails and carry lots of other devices so it seems pretty legit to me. I have a preorder there and expansys USA aswell.

Hmm, woulda been good if the "nefreeship" coupon worked (free shipping), but the $35 off coupon is negated pretty quickly by having to pay $45 for shipping, damn Canada.

Technosteve said:
what's going on in this video?

Also is ICS ROM dump and source out yet? When is the x86 port coming out.

My friend is getting this phone, are you guys saying if it gets updates verizon is the one pushing it out?

What's going on is my unscientific attempt to measure how easy (or unwieldy) it will be to hold a Galaxy Nexus using a classic 80GB iPOD touch as a proxy. AKA I need to get out of the house more. Don't worry I don't take myself or Copernicus penis size too seriously.

D'ultimate said:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S2 vs Xperia Arc S vs Evo 3D CellulareMagazine.it

This video shows one of the questions I have about the software buttons. If they are utilizing screen real estate doesn't that negate the advantages of them?

You can see in the video that the Xperia looks to be displaying more of the web page than the Nexus.

It also gives some idea of the size of the Beast in comparison. :)

Not if the buttons can disappear under certain circumstances (videos for example). I think this is just the beginning of Android going buttonless. I'd like there to be a 'power user' option in the future where you could use gestures in place of buttons. Like three fingers down in place of the back button, two finger double tap to pull up multitasking, three fingers right to go home. Or something similar. Kinda like on the iPad 2 or OSX.

kehs

Banned
D'ultimate said:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S2 vs Xperia Arc S vs Evo 3D CellulareMagazine.it

This video shows one of the questions I have about the software buttons. If they are utilizing screen real estate doesn't that negate the advantages of them?

You can see in the video that the Xperia looks to be displaying more of the web page than the Nexus.

It also gives some idea of the size of the Beast in comparison. :)

The on screen keys have three states: Show, Minimal, Hidden.

The minimal setting is when they turn to dots, but still take up the space around them. This is what most apps will be doing when you go "fullscreen" similar to HC tablets

Hidden actually hides then entirely and the application can use the full screen, BUT the problem with hidden is that as soon as the user interacts with the device (volume/screentouch) they pop back up. So onscreen keys only have an advantage when playing videos.

(This will more than likely be over ridden by CM and co though)

Husker86

OriginalThinking said:
What's going on is my unscientific attempt to measure how easy (or unwieldy) it will be to hold a Galaxy Nexus using a classic 80GB iPOD touch as a proxy. AKA I need to get out of the house more. Don't worry I don't take myself or Copernicus penis size too seriously.

But if the iPod is just the size of the GN screen (and not the whole device) then how is holding it in any way an indication of what the phone will feel like?

Husker86 said:
But if the iPod is just the size of the GN screen (and not the whole device) then how is holding it in any way an indication of what the phone will feel like?

Overlap FTW. Did I say this was scientific? Did anyone take this video seriously?

Blackhead

Redarse
OriginalThinking said:
Not if the buttons can disappear under certain circumstances (videos for example). I think this is just the beginning of Android going buttonless. I'd like there to be a 'power user' option in the future where you could use gestures in place of buttons. Like three fingers down in place of the back button, two finger double tap to pull up multitasking, three fingers right to go home. Or something similar. Kinda like on the iPad 2 or OSX.
that's a crutch; it interferes with apps and it sucks. I'd rather have a gesture area or bezel gestures instead of onscreen gestures.

Husker86

OriginalThinking said:
Overlap FTW. Did I say this was scientific? Did anyone take this video seriously?

But it was worse than unscientific, it was 100% useless. I don't even think Copernicus would have made a video like that.

The words sound harsh, but I don't mean them to be..and I doubt you care. :)

Greyface said:
that's a crutch; it interferes with apps and it sucks. I'd rather have a gesture area or bezel gestures instead of onscreen gestures.

the problem with gestures in general on a phone is that they require two hands. It's difficult to hold a phone with one hand and perform multi finger gestures. Unless you draw shapes using one finger, in which case pressing a dedicated button is quicker anyway.

Husker86 said:
But it was worse than unscientific, it was 100% useless. I don't even think Copernicus would have made a video like that.

The words sound harsh, but I don't mean them to be..and I doubt you care. :)

I think you failed to understand that it was a joke...

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
No, it definitely was. Look again. They didn't just lie about the curve, they lied about all of it.

You should have given the ipad you brazenly tossed aside more screen time.

Copernicus said:
You should have given the ipad you brazenly tossed aside more screen time.

I just left it in there briefly to see if any watching Samsung lawyers could tell the difference between my blatant Xoom lie and the fact that it was an iPad with an Android wallpaper.

Husker86

OriginalThinking said:
I think you failed to understand that it was a joke...

I just got used to Copernicus taking up a large chunk of thread with irrelevant posts, I guess I just couldn't fathom another poster joining him.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cellphone videos are awesome. I was really pumped to make a huge GN video.. but that didn't end up happening.

Husker86 said:
I just got used to Copernicus taking up a large chunk of thread with irrelevant posts, I guess I just couldn't fathom another poster joining him.

Dude, sounds like you are carrying a load. Relax. Until there is an official review or some concrete release information or until the device is actually released there isn't much to talk about round here except whinging at the clusterfuck that is Google's launch plans. So if I we occasionally make a few jokes what's the big deal? It's not like I've spammed the thread for page upon page. If you want serious videos about the Galaxy Nexus 'in-hand' operation there are hundreds of them on YouTube. Chill.

Jtwo said:
Cellphone videos are awesome. I was really pumped to make a huge GN video.. but that didn't end up happening.

Should I actually get the phone before you Americano's I'll happily do a review/features video if anyone in the thread actually wants one. I'm easy.

Copernicus said:
The on screen keys have three states: Show, Minimal, Hidden.

The minimal setting is when they turn to dots, but still take up the space around them. This is what most apps will be doing when you go "fullscreen" similar to HC tablets

Hidden actually hides then entirely and the application can use the full screen, BUT the problem with hidden is that as soon as the user interacts with the device (volume/screentouch) they pop back up. So onscreen keys only have an advantage when playing videos.

(This will more than likely be over ridden by CM and co though)

Hidden sounds ideal to me. The only problem is that it requires two actions to interact with the buttons most of the time.

Anyone know of any videos of the minimal settings off hand?

Edit: Nvmd. Just saw it in a Verge video.

Husker86

OriginalThinking said:
Dude, sounds like you are carrying a load. Relax. Until there is an official review or some concrete release information or until the device is actually released there isn't much to talk about round here except whinging at the clusterfuck that is Google's launch plans. So if I we occasionally make a few jokes what's the big deal? It's not like I've spammed the thread for page upon page. If you want serious videos about the Galaxy Nexus 'in-hand' operation there are hundreds of them on YouTube. Chill.

I'm fine, I was serious when I said I didn't think you were just Copernicusing. I honestly thought from your first posts about it that you were taking the iPod size and being able to reach the whole thing as an argument that 4.65" screen will be easy to handle. I didn't watch the video with audio, I skipped through it like I do most YouTube videos :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OriginalThinking said:
Should I actually get the phone before you Americano's I'll happily do a review/features video if anyone in the thread actually wants one. I'm easy.
OMG make it a live call in show! Because I have questions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I specifically remember having a dribk with gcubed.

gcubed

i need to get it by the 22nd, since i'll be gone for the rest of the month. I'd love to be running around chicago with the phone.

gcubed said:
i need to get it by the 22nd, since i'll be gone for the rest of the month. I'd love to be running around chicago with the phone.

That is looking unlikely -- for importers (shifting dates) and Verizon customers (web-only rumors).

SimleuqiR

December 2nd....?

Welp, it wasn't like I was going to be able to get it anyways. I will hold off until January and see where things are. Maybe by then we will get a better picture of when the GSM version will become available in the USA (if ever).

I'll make my decision then to import or not.
Hopefully CM9 will be available on the Nexus One sooner rather than later.

Edit:

Next time Google don't choose such a shitty company like Samsung for your Nexus line. Let's shoot for ASUS or Sony.

Top Bottom