• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Ephemeris

Feeling real lonely on the tmobile side right now. :(

creationtheory said:
This is becoming unbearable. I''ve been stuck with my shitty Eris for too long.
Ouch. I loved my Eris, but after going to the G2 I couldn't go back.

rozay

Banned
ICS source being up on the AOSP has killed most of my interest in the release drama for this phone. Can't wait to get it rolling on my N1.

DXPett1

rozay said:
ICS source being up on the AOSP has killed most of my interest in the release drama for this phone. Can't wait to get it rolling on my N1.
Keen to see how well the community can get it running on the N1 considering Google are leaving it to die :(

I want the Galaxy Nexus bad (ROMs be damned the N1 is still old balls) but more and more it seems like it's a Galaxy and not a Nexus. Seems very similar to the Xoom in ridiculousness

Pctx

Banned
FYI. Verizon employees got ICS training last week. Confirmed that Nexus is releasing 2nd week of December. Sorry guys.

reKon

Banned
Renting the Razr for a month then. Does this return policy thing hold up for AmazonWireless too? I heard that Best Buy has a policy of 14 day return and 30 day exchange..

gcubed

Pctx said:
Multiple NW VZW reps. Apparently the Nexus had radio problems with VZ's LTE and Samsung is having to issue a fix for it hence the delay.
Hoping the GSM version comes out somewhere in the US off contract

Oozer3993

DXPett1 said:
Keen to see how well the community can get it running on the N1 considering Google are leaving it to die :(

I want the Galaxy Nexus bad (ROMs be damned the N1 is still old balls) but more and more it seems like it's a Galaxy and not a Nexus. Seems very similar to the Xoom in ridiculousness

Huh? The Xoom is stock Android and receives updates almost immediately. It'll have ICS before Christmas.

gcubed said:
Hoping the GSM version comes out somewhere in the US off contract
Our last hope is TMobile getting it. While I sincerely doubt it will be announced this week, Google will clearly have to demo the new Google Music on a Nexus phone during Wednesday's event. It could be the GSM Galaxy Nexus. Or, they could default back to a Nexus S.

It would add insult to injury if they use Galaxy Nexus phones running on Tmobile's network, but then call it the International model.

In other news, the original rumor said Bell would have a 30-day exclusive in Canada. As it turns out, it was true. Hopefully, it is the same length for Verizon.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
Our last hope is TMobile getting it. While I sincerely doubt it will be announced this week, Google will clearly have to demo the new Google Music on a Nexus phone during Wednesday's event. It could be the GSM Galaxy Nexus. Or, they could default back to a Nexus S.

It would add insult to injury if they use Galaxy Nexus phones running on Tmobile's network, but then call it the International model.

In other news, the original rumor said Bell would have a 30-day exclusive in Canada. As it turns out, it was true. Hopefully, it is the same length for Verizon.
Once Canada gets it it will be much easier and cheaper to get it in the US. With a push until mid December I'll definitely be staying on ATT and just picking up a GSM version

Mafro

It's up for preorder from Three in the UK. Yesterday the estimated delivery date was Friday 18th, but that's now changed to Tuesday 22nd.

gcubed said:
Once Canada gets it it will be much easier and cheaper to get it in the US. With a push until mid December I'll definitely be staying on ATT and just picking up a GSM version

Yes and no.

The same rumor that revealed Bell's 30-day exclusivity window also claimed that they would not sell it off-contract for the first month. So, importers may be out of luck until January.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they--Bell and Virgin--didn't announce pricing yet, right?

rozay

Banned
I believe you're also out of luck if the phone needs a warranty replacement (such as the internal flash failing and the phone becoming a paperweight) because the phones have to be serviced by samsung canada, so buyer beware.

rabhw

Vyse The Legend said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they--Bell and Virgin--didn't announce pricing yet, right?

Nope, they refused to comment on pricing, and strangely enough the banding that the phone features. The second part might actually be good news, since they probably want to keep it's pentaband-ness quiet so that people don't buy it and use it on a competitors network. That's my guess anyway.

And like you said, their exclusivity will probably either require a contract, or, if sold off-contract, would still require a payment of a 1-month plan, also idiotic.

I've been reading people saying there's still hope that you can go to a Best Buy / Futureshop / Other independent retailer and try to get them to sell it to you off-contract and without needing a plan.

My plan is to try BestBuy and offer to buy the service plan if they'll sell it to me :D

rabhw

Bell starts showing off Galaxy Nexus in a display case:
bell-display-nexus-e1321372732342.png

Blackhead

Redarse
rabhw said:
Nope, they refused to comment on pricing, and strangely enough the banding that the phone features. The second part might actually be good news, since they probably want to keep it's pentaband-ness quiet so that people don't buy it and use it on a competitors network. That's my guess anyway.

And like you said, their exclusivity will probably either require a contract, or, if sold off-contract, would still require a payment of a 1-month plan, also idiotic.

I've been reading people saying there's still hope that you can go to a Best Buy / Futureshop / Other independent retailer and try to get them to sell it to you off-contract and without needing a plan.

My plan is to try BestBuy and offer to buy the service plan if they'll sell it to me :D
Any chance they are refusing to comment on pricing because it's really low?

rabhw

Greyface said:
Any chance they are refusing to comment on pricing because it's really low?

You should apply for a writing position at Android and Me!

I know you're kidding...I hope

santouras

I'm interested to see how ICS will adopt to current phones that do have dedicated buttons. I'm hoping the on screen buttons will be removed, which is the logical thing to assume, otherwise there will be two rows of buttons there. Has there been any shots of this?

santouras said:
I'm interested to see how ICS will adopt to current phones that do have dedicated buttons. I'm hoping the on screen buttons will be removed, which is the logical thing to assume, otherwise there will be two rows of buttons there. Has there been any shots of this?

They will.

Zeppu

santouras said:

I'm fairly sure that's the case. In fact I think if you spawn a virtual machine using the SDK it won't show the buttons by default if the vertical resolution is less than 1280.

Sky Chief

santouras said:

If the screen resolution is below 720p ICS automatically removes software buttons.

Blackhead

Redarse
What about for phones that have 720p resolution and do have 3 or 4 dedicated buttons? When using legacy apps what happens to those buttons?

Mordeccai

Man, now what the hell do I do. Is the Galaxy Nexus really releasing the second week of December? I've been sitting on this upgrade for five months.

Sigh, I might move on to the 4S. I really don't like iTunes though. *sigh* I'll just use the return policy.

Dammit Verizon.

Edited to be less inflammatory.

SimleuqiR

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is still set to begin its launch on the 17th November. However, our first stock here at Clove is now expected on Wednesday 23rd November. This will be part of the first batch of SIM-FREE stock that is available in the UK. We cannot confirm at this stage whether or not other SIM-free retailers will receive their stock on the 23rd or at a later date.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2011/11/15/samsung-galaxy-nexus-availability-update/

I do expect our British GAFfers to give us impressions, and maybe even mock the USA wireless industry in the process, come the week of November 21st.

I'll be eating fine turkey with some tears while you guys enjoy your Nexus device.

Some Rogers Dude said:
Straight from Rogers: “I just wanted to confirm that Rogers will be carrying the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in January. The device will be available on our Reservation System tomorrow.”

I don't see it in the reservation system.

thespot84

why not just put pentaband radio's in every phone? It's got to be more expensive to have multiple manufacturing lines than the extra cost of the radio (variable vs fixed I know, but the radio can't be that expensive), plus you can market it as a worldphone, am disappointed

Top Bottom