• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Piano

Banned
So nobody knows when this is coming out? I'm still stuck on my Droid Eris over here and was hoping to pick it up over Thanksgiving. My phone barely fucking functions any more.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
thespot84 said:
why not just put pentaband radio's in every phone? It's got to be more expensive to have multiple manufacturing lines than the extra cost of the radio (variable vs fixed I know, but the radio can't be that expensive), plus you can market it as a worldphone, am disappointed
Exclusivity, my good man! Verizon (or other carriers) don't want you hard-unlocking their devices. Its not even cost, the difference of cost between quad-band and pentaband radios has to be neglible.

gutshot

Jtwo said:
Wow so much drama. Someone should write a book on the galaxy nexus.

Google announced a phone but Verizon refused to announce a release date. Nobody except hardcore phone nerds cared. The End.

I'm a hardcore phone nerd. :'(

BfQGg.jpg

Reserved on Rogers.

This is notable though: It appears under "Android" category, NOT "LTE Smartphone" like the Galaxy S2 does. MAJOR :(

Piano said:
So nobody knows when this is coming out? I'm still stuck on my Droid Eris over here and was hoping to pick it up over Thanksgiving. My phone barely fucking functions any more.
Nobody knows for sure. I'm in the same boat. My eris is complete shit. I can't even answer the phone when it rings. The thing is so slow.

Mafro

SimleuqiR said:
http://blog.clove.co.uk/2011/11/15/samsung-galaxy-nexus-availability-update/

I do expect our British GAFfers to give us impressions, and maybe even mock the USA wireless industry in the process, come the week of November 21st.

I'll be eating fine turkey with some tears while you guys enjoy your Nexus device.
Handtec have also updated
15/11 Update: Samsung Distribution is still stating week commencing 21st November this has been the case for the past two weeks or so. We understand that dates such as the 17th November MAY be release dates for non sim free stock but we cannot confirm this.
Looks like I'll probably have it on Tuesday, then.

Adamm

So are the UK websites saying they are getting this in tommorow (17th) lying then?
I was going to order it off one them, but im guessing ill probably be waiting to next week anyway :(

Adamm said:
So are the UK websites saying they are getting this in tommorow (17th) lying then?
I was going to order it off one them, but im guessing ill probably be waiting to next week anyway :(

Sim free will almost certainly be next week. 3 have said they are delayed til next week. The only guys saying the 17th(edit - 18th) are Phones4u I think. Maybe o2.

Adamm

OriginalThinking said:
Sim free will almost certainly be next week. 3 have said they are delayed til next week. The only guys saying the 17th(edit - 18th) are Phones4u I think. Maybe o2.
A few random technology sites still have it for 17th (ebuyer.com for one) but I assume they just havent updated.
Oh well, next week it is then!

Mafro

I know someone who ordered from Phones4U and it's been delayed from it's original shipping date of tomorrow, so I'm guessing that'll mean next week.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Pre-ordered w/ Handtec as well. If any ships it out early, it's them. They sent out my Note 2 days before Clove and other retailers. The 21st is still the most likely date, alas.

Blackhead

Redarse
DrFunk said:
Pre-ordered w/ Handtec as well. If any ships it out early, it's them. They sent out my Note 2 days before Clove and other retailers. The 21st is still the most likely date, alas.
... how many phones do you have?

*wants to justify own purchase of galaxy nexus*

gutshot

Y'know what really rankles? The fact that I keep seeing these Galaxy Nexus ads everywhere I go, including this very page. It's like Google is taunting me.

gcubed

D'ultimate said:
Pulled out your ass?

Aint nothing going to break my stride
Nobody´s going to slow me down
Oh no, I have got to keep on moving
Aint nothing going to break my stride
I am running & I would not touch ground
Oh no, I have got to keep on moving

gutshot

gcubed said:
as many have pointed out, other setups have made you blink a few times, some kind of movement key

Ah ok. I guess that would work, though it would detract from the speed and simplicity of Face Unlock.

In any case, I don't really care if it unlocks with a photo as that only makes it vulnerable to those who have a photo of you. Since these are all people I trust, it's not a big deal for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
gutshot said:
Ah ok. I guess that would work, though it would detract from the speed and simplicity of Face Unlock.

In any case, I don't really care if it unlocks with a photo as that only makes it vulnerable to those who have a photo of you. Since these are all people I trust, it's not a big deal for me.
Muggers will start taking pictures of their victims confirmed (some do so already)

gcubed

without two cameras you can't really use depth to avoid the picture trick, true they may not change it as its listed as a low security option, and the speed is very very nice

Can't believe this is getting so much post space.

It's not a high security feature. I'd use it a) so I don't have to slide anything and b) so if I'm at a place where I put my phone down, I don't have to worry that someone will potentially scroll through my email or other info I'd like to keep private.

If my phone is stolen, I'll have to depend on other apps/features, like remote wipe, remote lock, location services, etc.

Adamm

Battersea Power Station said:
Can't believe this is getting so much post space.

It's not a high security feature. I'd use it a) so I don't have to slide anything and b) so if I'm at a place where I put my phone down, I don't have to worry that someone will potentially scroll through my email or other info I'd like to keep private.

Exactly! And who is going to steal your phone & have a picture of you any way?
Sure its possible, but extremely unlikely.

Mafro

Wow, so Phones4U are selling it tomorrow...exclusively in one store in London (obviously)

samsung_galaxy.jpg

From 8am tomorrow our Oxford Street, London store will be the only place in the world you can get your hands on Android’s first 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone - the Samsung UK GALAXY Nexus! The first 100 purchases of the Nexus will come with a £250 voucher for free movies, music and film content for you to enjoy on the phone! We will be serving proper ice cream sandwiches too! Mmmmm...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/110904788651686739853/posts/hvFLoqboTj4

Cudder

narcosis219 said:
BfQGg.jpg

Reserved on Rogers.

This is notable though: It appears under "Android" category, NOT "LTE Smartphone" like the Galaxy S2 does. MAJOR :(
Where on the site are you seeing it? It's not under any category for me.

Top Bottom