• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
Wow, Engadget. Way to misuse the "Breaking News" tag.

That said, the actual news today is two-fold:

1. The box is awesome. I need this phone in my life.

[I1MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/FallenOne666/galaxynexus8.jpg[/IMG]

2. Google updated the Galaxy Nexus US and UK pages.

The US one only lists the LTE version.

in honor of copernicus "fuck you google"

That double the data for free Verizon promotion better still be running next week. If so, Imma get the 16 gig Nexus and just abuse the SHIT out of Google Music over LTE... SO EXCITED

gutshot

gcubed said:
in honor of copernicus "fuck you google"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't previous Nexus phones GSM only? As a long time Verizon user, I have to say, now you feel my pain.

voodoojohn said:
That double the data for free Verizon promotion better still be running next week. If so, Imma get the 16 gig Nexus and just abuse the SHIT out of Google Music over LTE... SO EXCITED

It would be an epic fail on Verizon's part if they expired that deal just as they are about to launch the hottest LTE phone in a long while. So knowing Verizon, I'm expecting they will do exactly that.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gutshot said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't previous Nexus phones GSM only? As a long time Verizon user, now you feel my pain.

So people have to suffer b/c your carrier uses outdated technology. Makes perfect sense. Thank goodness for importing!

gcubed

voodoojohn said:

i am 99% sure its running through next week at the very least for the black friday sales. Its the one thing thats making me "ok" with losing my unlimited on ATT. I go above 2gb once in a while, but its usually like 2.5gb, i should be fine with 4gb

as an FYI, i'm pretty sure the only option for an LTE nexus is a 32gb phone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
gcubed said:
as an FYI, i'm pretty sure the only option for an LTE nexus is a 32gb phone
The Google page shows only the LTE model but also lists 16/32.

SimleuqiR

gutshot said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't previous Nexus phones GSM only? As a long time Verizon user, I have to say, now you feel my pain.

It would be an epic fail on Verizon's part if they expired that deal just as they are about to launch the hottest LTE phone in a long while. So knowing Verizon, I'm expecting they will do exactly that.

No, feeling your pain would be signing my soul to Verizon just for the Nexus phone, and still expect things said in your last statement from them.

Even if I have to use my Nexus One for another six months I'm not going to sign a contract with Verizon. No phone will ever make me switch to AT&T or Verizon. Ever. If the all mighty iPhone 3G didn't no Android phone will.

All I can say is that the way Google handle this whole Nexus Tuna release in the USA really shows that amateur hour isn't over.

gutshot said:

No, Sprint had the Nexus S 4G which was CDMA/Wimax

gcubed

Bboy AJ said:
The Google page shows only the LTE model but also lists 16/32.

thats a shame, the 32gb would have been nice, but i'm not paying over 299 for it

SimleuqiR... c'mon now, launching a phone exclusively on tmobile is the definition of amateur hour.

gutshot

SimleuqiR said:
No, feeling your pain would be signing my soul to Verizon just for the Nexus phone, and still expect things said in your last statement from them.

Even if I have to use my Nexus One for another six months I'm not going to sign a contract with Verizon. No phone will ever make me switch to AT&T or Verizon. Ever. If the all mighty iPhone 3G didn't no Android phone will.

All I can say is that the way Google handle this whole Nexus Tuna release in the USA really shows that amateur hour isn't over.

Yeah, Verizon sucks, no doubt about it. Only reason I signed up with them originally was because they were the only carrier with any cell service at all where I used to live. I now live somewhere much less rural and was all set to switch when my contract expired, but then the Galaxy Nexus was announced. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
thats a shame, the 32gb would have been nice, but i'm not paying over 299 for it

SimleuqiR... c'mon now, launching a phone exclusively on tmobile is the definition of amateur hour.

The original Nexus was supposed to launch on Verizon too. So I agree, they've been fumbling the ball ever since. Their Nexus line should be on every USA carrier, or at least unlocked and compatible, day one.

Google bent over because:

Samsung is their #1 OEM
Verizon is the biggest USA carrier

At least Steve Jobs had the cojones to get what he wanted from the Telcos. Would have love to have seen him give the USA carriers a big fat middle finger with is supposed Apple Wifi network.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
The original Nexus was supposed to launch on Verizon too. So I agree, they've been fumbling the ball ever since. Their Nexus line should be on every USA carrier, or at least unlocked and compatible, day one.

Google bent over because:

Samsung is their #1 OEM
Verizon is the biggest USA carrier

At least Steve Jobs had the cojones to get what he wanted from the Telcos. Would have love to have seen him give the USA carriers a big fat middle finger with is supposed Apple Wifi network.

steve jobs can get what he wants because he has sole power over the one phone that sells millions and millions on each carrier. Google has no power because they have the power over one phone that sells a few hundred thousand on all carriers combined. I'm just surprised Verizon said yes at all to this.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
steve jobs can get what he wants because he has sole power over the one phone that sells millions and millions on each carrier. Google has no power because they have the power over one phone that sells a few hundred thousand on all carriers combined. I'm just surprised Verizon said yes at all to this.

It's more of a cock-block move to not let the phone on other carriers. As you said, the phone doesn't sell iPhone numbers, so why have it on your network?

Choice? I don't think Verizon is about choice. Choice is probably the last thing that company is known for.

rabhw said:
MobileSyrup just posted part 1 of their review

They love it. A lot.

Pentile haters be eatin dat crow?

Unlike the Nexus S which was released in multiple versions, the Galaxy Nexus has a 21Mbps pentaband UMTS radio inside. This means that out of the box it is 4G-compatible with every major carrier in Canada, including the new entrants. And, yes, the phone is unlocked by default so carrier portability shouldn’t be an issue.

This is good news for Canada. Guess Google doesn't love the USA as much. Mmmmm... Canadian bacon!

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
It's more of a cock-block move to not let the phone on other carriers. As you said, the phone doesn't sell iPhone numbers, so why have it on your network?

Choice? I don't think Verizon is about choice. Choice is probably the last thing that company is known for.

This is good news for Canada. Guess Google doesn't love the USA as much. Mmmmm... Canadia bacon!

i'm sure it was what they had to pay to get verizon to carry it. They had no presence on the #1 carrier with this phone, so they took that path. I wouldn't mind it as much if they also sold the GSM version unlocked through Google directly instead of blocking it in the US for the month

Azzurri said:
So release date is actually sometime this decade?
Uh, yea... its only about a week later than originally anticipated. Don't confuse waiting for the release date reveal with waiting for the release, itself.

gcubed said:
LTE = 9.47mm
GSM = 8.94mm
But what's the difference in thickness between the two versions' humps and what's the difference between the two greater bodies? These measurements are at their thinnest points, if I'm not mistaken, which is slightly discouraging. I'll swallow the bitter pill for that LTE sickness, regardless
probably.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google doesn't need Verizon to carry this. There are many other phones on the network, Verizon just launched two other prominently advertised ones right after the Nexus announcement. Android will continue to do well whether or not Verizon gets a nexus device. Bending over backwards just to make it happen makes no sense especially if Google has to shaft the other carriers and consumers. So now Google goes back to AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint and doesn't think they won't demand their own crap and control over the next Nexus offered? Why?

gcubed

voodoojohn said:
But what's the difference in thickness between the two versions' humps and what's the difference between the two greater bodies? These measurements are at their thinnest points, if I'm not mistaken, which is slightly discouraging. I'll swallow the bitter pill for that LTE sickness, regardless
probably.

nope, the measurements are at their thickest points, not thinnest (they dont pull a moto with the razr). The difference was said to be for the larger battery on the LTE

"4G" is HSPA+, iirc.. at least for AT&T..

It looks like the Euro galaxy nexus will work on AT&T's "4G" network.. so importing is definitely an option for people that want such things..

Circle T

After watching the "Create a Folder" video tutorial, it would appear that the only VZW bloat on the phone are the "My Verizon" and "VZW Backup Assistant" apps. Now granted, as discussed before, ANY bloat is too much bloat for a Nexus, but I'm glad to see that there isn't like 10 extra shit apps stuffed on the phone....

http://youtu.be/kpSPr9qfsNQ

gutshot

So I guess the difference in size between US and International versions means swapping battery covers to get rid of the awful Verizon branding is not an option?

gcubed

Robobandit said:
"4G" is HSPA+, iirc.. at least for AT&T..

It looks like the Euro galaxy nexus will work on AT&T's "4G" network.. so importing is definitely an option for people that want such things..

yeah that wasn't a question, the issue was that getting one from Europe was going to cost you $800.

Canada is a slightly better option, but again, you have no support if things go wrong

gcubed said:
yeah that wasn't a question, the issue was that getting one from Europe was going to cost you $800.

Canada is a slightly better option, but again, you have no support if things go wrong

Yeah, if you want on-contract with a carrier, then it looks to be verizon exclusive for now.. otherwise you're looking at several hundred dollars regardless of how you get one.

Circle T

gutshot said:
So I guess the difference in size between US and International versions means swapping battery covers to get rid of the awful Verizon branding is not an option?
I was thinking the same thing. I much prefer the back of the international version. The US one doesn't even say GOOGLE on it >:[

gcubed

Robobandit said:
Yeah, if you want on-contract with a carrier, then it looks to be verizon exclusive for now.. otherwise you're looking at several hundred dollars regardless of how you get one.

well, the GSM version of the phone should be under $600 in the US. To get it from Europe with exchange rates and shipping you are adding at least 200 on to that. Thats not a viable way to get it.

Mafro

rabhw said:
I always cringe at those videos, it held up beautifully though :)
Same. I saw another one for the Invisible Shield on an iPad, some guy was using it as a fucking chopping board of all things.

Cipherr

OriginalThinking said:
That lack of Gorilla Glass looks like it's going to be a real problem :/

I dont get it. My sarcasm detector broken? Or did you link the wrong video. I actually DO want to know if the glass they are using will hold up, GG is the safe bet, skeptical about this glass they are using for the GN.

rabhw

Cipherr said:
My sarcasm detector broken?

Yes. Dude scratches screen vigorously with key, not a single mark visible, at least on camera. I'd say whatever coating they have on there is pretty tough.

gcubed

Cipherr said:
I dont get it. My sarcasm detector broken? Or did you link the wrong video. I actually DO want to know if the glass they are using will hold up, GG is the safe bet, skeptical about this glass they are using for the GN.

yes, i'm assuming he was sarcastic, the thing doesn't get scratched

Cipherr said:

I can confirm that your sarcasm detector needs replacing immediately in order to avoid further embarrassment/confusion.

gcubed

sneaky77 said:
so no chance of the 32GB being 299 uh..

there is only one version available for US launch and its the 32gb (we've seen shipment data, Verizon stock data, all showing only 32gb). Its going to cost 299 at launch (guessing from previous launches)

rozay

Banned
Pissed at the Verizon news, though maybe not so bad as I'm becoming less convinced each day that this phone will be practical to use one handed. The only time I ever use my phone in landscape is for videos.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Good ad! Clearly someone has been reading my posts judging by the late night poets bit.

Kind I sad I couldn't wait.

Top Bottom