• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
Interesting to note that when Matias Duarte pulls out the GN on the latest episode of "On the Verge", it looks like the GSM model.

a.) It's super thing
b.) I see no Verizon branding on it at all.

http://youtu.be/5K4HImSqR1k?t=26m12s

GSM model to get updates before the Verizon model confirmed!!

It's still too early to comment on battery life, but so far we're not seeing any issues. While the Nexus feels quite snappy it isn't as mind bendingly fast as some Gingerbread devices (the Galaxy Note comes to mind). It will be interesting to see how the phone performs in our standard suite of benchmarks, assuming these run properly in Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/17/google-galaxy-nexus-hspa-first-impressions-video/

What? That's pretty hard to swallow, but if true very disappointing.

rozay

Banned
Probably. If it's anything like previous versions of android, there will be ways to speed up the transitions, though hopefully the speed apps load at can cope.

SimleuqiR

From the Google+ thread

It has begun!!!

Ice Cream Sandwich Prompts Users To Join Google+, Enter Credit Card Information

joingoogle.png

One seemingly minor change that Google has introduced in the new version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, could actually have just as large an impact on the company as the various UI tweaks: anyone who enters their Google account credentials into the phone (which means, just about everyone) will be prompted to sign up for Google+. And they’ll also be prompted to enter their credit card information for purchases in Android Market.

This is a really big deal. Android is now activating over 550,000 devices per day, and that growth has been increasing steadily. This is going to result in a lot of new Google+ users, or at least people who are signing up for Google+ accounts. And as Google continues to infuse Google+ features into Android, they’ll likely become more and more active on it.

Wonder how many carriers/OEMs will tweak this out of the Android code?

gutshot

In addition to that Engadget complaint, there is this from TechCrunch:

TechCrunch said:
And finally, there’s the matter of performance, which I’ll save a discussion on the device’s performance for a future post as well. Usually it hums along, but I’ve had one or two moments where where it reminded me of my Nexus One, pausing at odd moments and apparently ignoring finger taps. This hasn’t happened often — and Google says at least one of the issues I saw is a known bug that has already been fixed on devices customers will receive. So we’ll see how it performs over the coming weeks.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/17/my...us-and-ice-cream-sandwich-this-is-really-big/

Ruh roh?

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
why are we still reading reviews from people with pre-release code?

Cuz teh Big Goog doesn't give them the tools to review the phone properly?

I don't know... Why give these people an unfinished product?

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
Cuz teh Big Goog doesn't give them the tools to review the phone properly?

I don't know... Why give these people an unfinished product?

not fully blaming the review sites, at least techcrunch noted it, but why isnt google updating these phones the embargo was lifted (or they were delivered)

gutshot

Link to the text review: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

Joshua Topolsky said:
The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced.

Still, there's really not much to knock here. The hardware is elegant and smartly designed. The software is beautiful and useful. Google has cleaned up a lot of the bad, and replaced it with a serious amount of good. It's faster, smarter, and a lot more friendly than any of its predecessors. Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them.

If there's a bone to pick, perhaps it's with the size, which could be off-putting to some, or the fact that right now the only carrier you can definitely get the phone on in the US will be Verizon. But those are minor blips on the radar, not show stoppers.

Since day one, I've been waiting for an Android device that lived up the promise of such a powerful OS. I think I can stop waiting now.

SimleuqiR

gutshot said:
Link to the text review: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2...y-nexus-review
Joshua Topolsky: said:
The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced.

Still, there's really not much to knock here. The hardware is elegant and smartly designed. The software is beautiful and useful. Google has cleaned up a lot of the bad, and replaced it with a serious amount of good. It's faster, smarter, and a lot more friendly than any of its predecessors. Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them.

If there's a bone to pick, perhaps it's with the size, which could be off-putting to some, or the fact that right now the only carrier you can definitely get the phone on in the US will be Verizon. But those are minor blips on the radar, not show stoppers.

Since day one, I've been waiting for an Android device that lived up the promise of such a powerful OS. I think I can stop waiting now.

Says the guy with a GSM model!! ;_;

SimleuqiR said:
Says the guy with a GSM model!! ;_;

Seriously.

Joshua is a notorious hard-ass, so for him to say it's one of the best smart-phones ever made, that's huge.

In the video, he also says that it's one of the few phones to ever meet his expectations.

giga said:
PenTile back with a vengeance!

*yawn*

Awesome screen is awesome.

giga

As with the Nexus S, I noticed some color aberrations and odd striations which were visible when there was a large swath of solid, lighter colors visible (a plain gray background, for instance)
PenTile back with a vengeance!

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Seriously.

Joshua is a notorious hard-ass, so for him to say it's one of the best smart-phones ever made, that's huge.
Queue people dumping their 4S's for this beast.

rozay

Banned
Slightly disappointed with the camera samples after the quality of the Galaxy S2. The only reasons I'd go with the nexus over it are the design and the screen (which are very important to me, but maybe not as much to others who just want a good phone)

Also, I couldn't tell if Topolsky was more interested in showing us the phone or the books surrounding the phone in that video review.

pr0cs

rozay said:
Slightly disappointed with the camera samples after the quality of the Galaxy S2. The only reasons I'd go with the nexus over it are the design and the screen.
Pff the software support has to be WAAAAY up on the list of reasons as well.
Watch how long it takes Samsung to get ICS out for the S2. And after ICS is out you can pretty much forget about future updates to the S2.

Shit even the SGS which sold a LOT of units isn't slated to get ICS (even though it's on-par with the Nexus S) and any 'hacked' versions will likely suck because Samsung has shitty code so the open source developers have to 'guess' at a lot of functionality.

The only thing keeping me from dumping my SGS for a GN right now is that I'm really curious how the padfone pans out.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG this phone is soooooo sick. The video review is making me so excited. That Gmail App. :O

And the Browser. OMG the browser is to die for.

bluestuff said:
Any MSRP in USD/CAD for an unlocked GSM model yet?

It's not coming to the US any time soon, so you won't see a MSRP for it for a while.

However, $529 is a very safe bet.

In Canada, Bell didn't announce their pricing. It's coming early December though, so we'll know soon enough. Anyone know what the Nexus S went for off-contract in Canada?

def sim

So how fast will a brand new 16gb iPhone 4S sell through eBay at $599? I'm thinking of using my upgrade to get one so I can fund a Galaxy Nexus off contract purchase. I was going to buy it raw from Handtec but then I came to my senses. :(

God, AT&T is clueless.

att-galaxy-nexus.png

I can't tell if they're sincerely dense about the hype for this phone -- or playing dumb for the sake of more hits to their Google+ page.

Cipherr

gutshot said:
In addition to that Engadget complaint, there is this from TechCrunch:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/17/my...us-and-ice-cream-sandwich-this-is-really-big/

Ruh roh?

The Display

Stop worrying about PenTile.

The Galaxy Nexus has one of the most stunning screens we’ve ever seen. The pixels are so small as to be microscopic, and unless you utilize one you’re not going to see a PenTile grid. What you will see is sharp text, incredible viewing angles, perfect blacks and outstanding clarity. If this is the future of mobile displays we can only say, “It’s about time.”

Let’s start with colours. Reds, greens and blues are accurate; this isn’t your mother’s oversaturated Super AMOLED display. Either Google has done something with the colour temperature or Samsung has finely calibrated its parts but for the first time we can say that colour accuracy is equal to a Super LCD display. At full brightness whites are evenly toned, though they take on a slight yellow tinge at half brightness. Blacks stay true throughout owing to the AMOLED technology, and viewing angles are 180 degrees in all directions.

In sunlight the Galaxy Nexus fares pretty well, though most of the detail gets washed out. We wouldn’t recommend reading Anna Karenina on a hot June day, but it does about as well as other AMOLED displays, which unfortunately is less so than most LCDs. Maximum brightness is phenomenal, though we don’t have the correct equipment to measure it.

The most significant improvement over previous Super AMOLED displays is in the clarity of text. Reading an article or a desktop-formatted web page is not only attainable but enjoyable. With Android 4.0′s new Roboto font much of the interface is a pleasure to read, and it’s nice seeing Google taking an interest in typographic fundamentals.

Performance

Our full benchmark results will be in our Software Overview, but from hours of subjective usage there is no need to worry about occasional stuttering and slowdown. We are using the production build (ITL41D) and the operating system took everything we threw at it and then some.

The dual-core TI OMAP 4460 SoC runs at 1.2Ghz, 300Mhz lower than the chip is traditionally clocked at, but it seems like Google has taken a page from iOS and is finally utilizing hardware acceleration throughout the UI. Unlike a custom skin which has taxing animations and garish flourishes, ICS pares down excess, exciting us with mature design decisions. Press down on the new software home button and a blue glow emanates from where your skin touched the display. It’s organic and friendly. Meander through your list of apps and the new page pops up like an old friend. We have noticed no slowdown or app instability.

Before we received the device, what troubled us was the idea of a last-generation GPU pushing 1280×720 pixels of the Galaxy Nexus’ screen — we can now say that fear is unfounded. We picked up and played a few games of Wind-up Knight and found it performed better in its native resolution than did the Motorola RAZR at 960×540. The RAZR uses the same GPU at a slightly slower speed, but has 40% fewer pixels. Google has done some serious tweaking to the graphics drivers to achieve such amazing results.

More like "Oh yeaaahhhh". Bugs and hitches seen in pre-release versions of the OS that no buyer will ever see doesn't mean much of anything to me.

rozay

Banned
pr0cs said:
Pff the software support has to be WAAAAY up on the list of reasons as well.
Watch how long it takes Samsung to get ICS out for the S2. And after ICS is out you can pretty much forget about future updates to the S2.

Shit even the SGS which sold a LOT of units isn't slated to get ICS (even though it's on-par with the Nexus S) and any 'hacked' versions will likely suck because Samsung has shitty code so the open source developers have to 'guess' at a lot of functionality.

The only thing keeping me from dumping my SGS for a GN right now is that I'm really curious how the padfone pans out.
Do you live in the USA or overseas? The international SGS was the first device aside from the N1 and the NS to get 2.3, it's had fantastic support in general.

ICS is already booting and running on the S2. There's an enormous development community behind it, and probably will be for at least another year.

I think I'm going to import the nexus, but I'm just worried about how samsung deals with international warranties.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can Canada GAF hook us up with GSM models? So glad I held out for the GN over an iPhone 4S.

I'm so bored of my iPhone 4 right now. I miss Android's multitasking and it looks like ICS will solve much of my beef my Android. Apps are still an issue, however.

I should just upgrade my TMo contract, sell that phone, and Handtec the GN.

reKon

Banned
Jtwo said:
OMG this phone is soooooo sick. The video review is making me so excited. That Gmail App. :O

And the Browser. OMG the browser is to die for.

why couldn't you wait a little longer?

rozay

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Can Canada GAF hook us up with GSM models? So glad I held out for the GN over an iPhone 4S.

I'm so bored of my iPhone 4 right now. I miss Android's multitasking and it looks like ICS will solve much of my beef my Android. Apps are still an issue, however.

I should just upgrade my TMo contract, sell that phone, and Handtec the GN.
According to this post, it seems they're willing to let customers ship the phone back to them for warranty purposes. Might buy one through them if the price isn't too high.

edit:lol @ $800. I like the phone but I don't like it that much

rozay

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Can someone explain to me what I'm looking at?

I thought the S II technically had a better screen than the Nexus, but from this picture the Nexus looks way better.
Technical details mean jack shit when the pixels are as small as they are on the Nexus it seems.

Cipherr

CrankyJay said:
Can someone explain to me what I'm looking at?

I thought the S II technically had a better screen than the Nexus, but from this picture the Nexus looks way better.

Pentile scales well basically. Its shit at low res, but when the pixel density hits the levels that the GN is at, theres some great benefit without the "oh god my EYES" effect.

But even still, GN looks fantastic, and Ill bet once they get their HD AMOLED+ screens out, the quality will again jump. Good stuff. In the meantime though, fears over pentile at 720p are alleviated.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
reKon said:
why couldn't you wait a little longer?
I don't know. Just couldn't. I'm pretty happy though.
Except push notifications, theyre even worse than you could imagine.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Shit, I was down on the phone before, but the reviews make it out to be amazing. Ugh, HYPE ON. Now somebody tell us the GSM version is coming to Canada!

Top Bottom