• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

rozay

Banned
Divvy said:
Shit, I was down on the phone before, but the reviews make it out to be amazing. Ugh, HYPE ON. Now somebody tell us the GSM version is coming to Canada!
It's already been confirmed for Bell and Rogers :mad:

def sim

$690 from Handtec.

I'll be paying a maximum of $190 extra for an unlocked Galaxy Nexus this way but they handle warranty. From what I've read, they're standard shipping overnights to NYC as well.

Hm

goddamn decisions

gcubed

rance said:
$690 from Handtec.

I'll be paying a maximum of $190 extra for an unlocked Galaxy Nexus this way but they handle warranty. From what I've read, they're standard shipping overnights to NYC as well.

Hm

goddamn decisions
Too much for my blood, then an issue is a few weeks minimum without a phone

SimleuqiR

rance said:
$690 from Handtec.

Hm

goddamn decisions
That's very doable!
Come January and if these fucks @ Google don't announce anything about a USA GSM model I will import.

I had the phone preordered at GSMwijzer (Netherlands) but I let it go because they changed the specifications of the phone from 16GB to 32GB but now I see that the price has gone up by 20 euros with the plan I wanted :(.
Do we have any information on wether the 32GB will be available in Europe? I would wait to see it released but I don't want the prices to start going up and up :/

gcubed

bytesized said:
I had the phone preordered at GSMwijzer (Netherlands) but I let it go because they changed the specifications of the phone from 16GB to 32GB but now I see that the price has gone up by 20 euros with the plan I wanted :(.
Do we have any information on wether the 32GB will be available in Europe? I would wait to see it released but I don't want the prices to start going up and up :/

no word on anything other then a 16gb GSM phone, only 32gb model known to be made is the LTE version

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Vyse The Legend said:
God, AT&T is clueless.

att-galaxy-nexus.png

I can't tell if they're sincerely dense about the hype for this phone -- or playing dumb for the sake of more hits to their Google+ page.

That's because they know people are gonna buy the unlocked version anyway. I'm pretty sure they're aware of it

gcubed said:
no word on anything other then a 16gb GSM phone, only 32gb model known to be made is the LTE version

Well, that sucks, specially after seeing how a review was saying that the actual leftover memory is barely 13GB :(

This coupled with the bad battery life that some people are commenting on is making me think I should just either wait or buy something else.

rozay

Banned
Any UK Gaffers got this in hand yet?

bytesized said:
Well, that sucks, specially after seeing how a review was saying that the actual leftover memory is barely 13GB :(

This coupled with the bad battery life that some people are commenting on is making me think I should just either wait or buy something else.
This is by far my biggest reason to wait. Need that extra space for music and photos, especially since this has USB OTG and can be an assistant to my DSLR.

gcubed

rozay said:

This is by far my biggest reason to wait. Need that extra space for music and photos, especially since this has USB OTG and can be an assistant to my DSLR.

wifi sd card

masud

Banned
bytesized said:
Huh? I thought it was supposed to have good battery life?

rozay said:

Yeah, the thing I am worried about is how long will we have to wait. In the nederlands it seems like the 16gB is coming out in December. If the 32GB is not out before christmas, I am really going to think about waiting at least until GS3 is announced or until there is some price drop.

masud said:
Huh? I thought it was supposed to have good battery life?

Well, howardforums said it was pretty bad but who knows. I am waiting to read about it from actual users. I don't trust reviewers, gaming journalism has taught me that ;)

gcubed

rozay said:
I pay for unlimited 3G though :<

lol nope, just average

wifi transfers to your phone and then your phone uploads to a photo storage site (i use picasa, but it works on others as well). Get good use out of your unlimited 3G!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So come on, seriously, how can we USA doods get an unlocked GSM model here for ~$500? The Verge's review was full of praise. I want this phone so bad.

rozay

Banned
gcubed said:
wifi transfers to your phone and then your phone uploads to a photo storage site (i use picasa, but it works on others as well). Get good use out of your unlimited 3G!
yeah, that'd be the intent of having a 32gb version when I don't have my laptop with me as well as just storing pictures if I use up my whole card. no need to spend money on a wifi card when I can just do it with a USB cable though.

also, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
still amazed it took Google till version 4.0 to realize the importance of graphics hardware acceleration for the UI.

gcubed

rozay said:
yeah, that'd be the intent of having a 32gb version when I don't have my laptop with me as well as just storing pictures if I use up my whole card. no need to spend money on a wifi card when I can just do it with a USB cable though.

also, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4

well yes you cant do that. I never saw one in action (the dslr controller) it looks awesome

bytesized said:
wow, cool stuff. Iphone doesn't do this, does it?

yes, it has many apps from camera makers to do this

Cipherr

scorcho said:
still amazed it took Google till version 4.0 to realize the importance of graphics hardware acceleration for the UI.

Whats worse is how many people made noise about the lack of it. For them to not realize it, then ignore the cries for it as long as they did is pretty bad. Fluidity is one of the major criticisms of the OS. Its so deeprooted that itll likely be a long while in fact before folks accept that the UI of ICS (vanilla anyway, who knows what the phone manus may do to the UI) is smooth.

gcubed

Cipherr said:
Whats worse is how many people made noise about the lack of it. For them to not realize it, then ignore the cries for it as long as they did is pretty bad. Fluidity is one of the major criticisms of the OS. Its so deeprooted that itll likely be a long while in fact before folks accept that the UI of ICS (vanilla anyway, who knows what the phone manus may do to the UI) is smooth.
I don't think they ignored it, its not an easy feat to add in and I'm sure they felt there was more important things to focus on with processing speeds growing. They also had to make it work for a multitude of hardware configurations which other os makers didn't have to deal with. It still shouldn't have taken so long

zedge

So backwards Canada gets the unlocked penta band version that will work on every carrier in the country and the US is stuck with a Verizon only device? lol

Still debating on selling my GS2 and picking it up when its out.. I heart my GS2. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
zedge said:
So backwards Canada gets the unlocked penta band version that will work on every carrier in the country and the US is stuck with a Verizon only device? lol

Still debating on selling my GS2 and picking it up when its out.. I heart my GS2. :(

I know that gives you the biggest hard-on in the world, but keep in mind many of us will simply import from Canada. Hope you got enough!

Cipherr

DrFunk said:
I know that gives you the biggest hard-on in the world, but keep in mind many of us will simply import from Canada. Hope you got enough!

Will the Canadian version work on ATT HSPA+?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How does it make any fucking sense for the best country in the entire world to get stuck with the most locked down GN? This is bullshit.

What's it like buying a no contract phone in Canada? Do they sell unsubsidized models or do they demand a contract?

zedge

DrFunk said:

Hehe, no hard on. I feel bad. :( Plus you guys have google music.. :mad:

zedge

Divvy said:
Wait, is the rogers one unlocked and the thinner gsm version?

Yes

Bboy AJ said:
How does it make any fucking sense for the best country in the entire world to get stuck with the most locked down GN? This is bullshit.

What's it like buying a no contract phone in Canada? Do they sell unsubsidized models or do they demand a contract?

Usually Best Buy or Future Shop will sell outright no contract.

Cudder

Divvy said:
Wait, is the rogers one unlocked and the thinner gsm version?
I have no idea what's going on right now. I was so heavy into the GN hype when it was announced, but when I realized it wasn't gonna be releasing for a while I just completely didn't give a fuck anymore.

Someone tell me how many "versions" there are of this phone, the differences, and when it's officially getting released, PLEASE.

Bboy AJ

zedge said:
Usually Best Buy or Future Shop will sell outright no contract.
I see, thanks. What do phones comparable to the GN go for?

Top Bottom